• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western release of Lightning Returns to feature Japanese audio DLC

RedSwirl

Maybe if I can't understand a word anyone is saying the story will actually make sense.

Ironically, this is a little bit true.

Part of the reason stuff like Final Fantasy and a lot of anime sound ridiculous is because they weren't originally written in English, and whatever translation they can fit into the same time slot won't sound natural to native English speakers. A big reason I watch some anime in Japanese (but not all) is because it sounds more natural than an English translation that's at an inherent disadvantage.

It's only when you either get extremely talented translators or take extreme liberties with the dialogue that you end up getting better results. Case-in-point: Final Fantasy XII.

ohlawd

Nice. Dunno if I'll use the Japanese voices tho.

Maaya > Ali for Lightning's voice but I gotta stay consistent here.

MogCakes

After sinking 80 hours into the English version of 13 I can't imagine playing with the same characters in Japanese. I do hope this sets a precedent for all future JRPGs but as a whole I generally find most dubs to be well done.

FFXII's dub is so amazing I'd never pick the JP voices over the English cast (much like Liam O'brien's Lezard in VP2 will always be superior to the JP counterpart). XIII/XIII-2's dubs are quite good, but I'm eager to see how the JP voices sound as well. Especially Light, seeing as she sounds decidedly more feminine in the JP version and I want to see how that impacts my impression of her character.

klee123

Well when you know sales are going to be absolute shit, you might as well try to appeal as many people as possible.

However, this should have been on the disc day 1 without any need of dlc.

Hyunashi

Wow, holy **** well done Square. Make sure this is a trend going forward. Already importing but I would have waited if I had known this.

klee123

You really don't understand just how much royalties for dual audio cost, huh?

I do, but considering that other companies have done bilingual releases in the past on games with way smaller budgets than this there's really no excuse.

That said, S-E has never done it before so this is quite the exception to offer it at least. A bit late though since they should have done this starting from FFXIII.

Because on Ps3 they couldn't fit it on the disc? I wonder if they'll charge for it..

(Edit)

Okay, I missed where they said that it was free. That's not so bad.

Durante

According to you.
No, according to reality. If tiny companies can consistently put out dual audio releases and large, powerful ones don't, then it's not because the latter are theoretically unable to do so. It's because they don't really care to.

I wouldn't be so certain if we didn't have so much precedent. NISA is tiny, and basically every single one of their console releases is dual audio. On the other hand, S-E can seemingly only be bothered to include dual audio if they really need incentives to sell more product (e.g. in the case of late, "enhanced" ports which need an additional selling point for double dippers such as SO4 PS3 or TLR PC, or of a late addition to a series on decline such as FF13). Funnily enough, in those cases, where they want the extra selling point, the specter of draconian licensing is banished quickly and without much fuss.

MogCakes

No, according to reality. If tiny companies can consistently put out dual audio releases and large, powerful ones don't, then it's not because the latter are theoretically unable to do so. It's because they don't really care to.

I wouldn't be so certain if we didn't have so much precedent. NISA is tiny, and basically every single one of their console releases is dual audio. On the other hand, S-E can seemingly only be bothered to include dual audio if they really need incentives to sell more product (e.g. in the case of late, "enhanced" ports which need an additional selling point for double dippers such as SO4 PS3 or TLR PC, or of a late addition to a series on decline such as FF13). Funnily enough, in those cases, where they want the extra selling point, the specter of draconian licensing is banished quickly and without much fuss.

Reality? I think not. I love dual audio as an option, but this belief that it's a requirement verges on fanaticism IMO.

You're right, larger companies like SE don't usually bother to put it in, I didn't say otherwise. I did say that doing so costs a bit of coin. While some companies may be willing to shell out for dual audio (and in NISA's case, make it a selling feature for their company), others may not be, regardless of wealth. So yeah, going so far as to call no dual audio some horrible atrocity that could only be explained by an excuse, that's ridiculous.

Reality? I think not. I love dual audio as an option, but this belief that it's a requirement verges on fanaticism IMO.

You're right, larger companies like SE don't usually bother to put it in, I didn't say otherwise. I did say that doing so costs a bit of coin. While some companies may be willing to shell out for dual audio (and in NISA's case, make it a selling feature for their company), others may not be, regardless of wealth. So yeah, going so far as to call no dual audio some horrible atrocity that could only be explained by an excuse, that's ridiculous.

-golfclap-

Durante

What are you even talking about? No one in this thread used the word "atrocity" (or even "requirement"!) before your post, or made any of the arguments you seem to be replying to.

MogCakes

What are you even talking about? No one in this thread used the word "atrocity" (or even "requirement"!) before your post, or made any of the arguments you seem to be replying to.

It hasn't been said outright, but it's pretty easy to read the intent. You bet I'm calling it out instead of beating around the bush.

Top Bottom