• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western release of Lightning Returns to feature Japanese audio DLC

Esura

Banned
Meanwhile NIS does this for free... I don't care about dual audio, but when Aksys and NIS can do this without charging, it makes them seem beyond petty.

Different publishers and different circumstances.

Also, NIS has a nasty habit of half dubbing games to compensate dual audio which irks me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, probably. They tried to go wide with XII-2 (Spike TV ads? Really?) and that didn't work at all.

The problem is, most of the people who want the game are already set on it and already like it even though they haven't played it. They might get a few extra pre-orders with this, but nothing they can do would really change the reality of the situation here.

Squire

Banned
Meanwhile NIS does this for free... I don't care about dual audio, but when Aksys and NIS can do this without charging, it makes them seem beyond petty.

Okay... first off, it is free. For two weeks. Which is fair enough. I plan to download it AND to pay no more than $20 for LR. It can work.

Second, this isn't Burger King; you can't always have it your way.

The problem is, most of the people who want the game are already set on it and already like it even though they haven't played it. They might get a few extra pre-orders with this, but nothing they can do would really change the reality of the situation here.

Yeah, exactly. This is preaching to the choir, really. Maaya Sakamoto's voice is lovely, so it's a nice gesture, but the game is going to sell horribly for what you expect from an FF. Nothing they can do about that now.

This should be be free always and not only free for a short while SE are bunch of cheap fucks .
I guess they will try what ever they can for some early sales still i guess it better than nothing .

Pezking

Awesome! So there's no need to wait once again for a chinese version with japanese audio and english subtitles!

Hopefully they do this for the FFX remakes as well!

Squire

Banned
To be honest most Japanese games should do this.

There's a good reason they don't (licensing is a bitch and a half), most people just don't know about it or ignore it.

Edit: Yeah, good point Frumix. If they do it like this, they only have to pay for each individual download and by limiting it to two weeks, they put a cap on that even.

Which is smart because again there's no way LR is going to sell well enough to make paying royalties worth it.

kadotsu

Banned
This is obviously an attempt to soften the licensing costs.

It also gives them hard data on how many people are actually interested in dual audio with minimal effort. This is very smart IMO. I wish Atlus would do something similar with their bigger titles.

cj_iwakura

Okay... first off, it is free. For two weeks. Which is fair enough. I plan to download it AND to pay no more than $20 for LR. It can work.

Second, this isn't Burger King; you can't always have it your way.

That's all good and fine, but this potentially sets a dangerous precedent.

Christhor

The difference is that NIS doesn't lipsync and their dubs are probably the worst in the industry. Outside of Disgaea.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
But will the game be any good ? Anyway, dual audio is nice, i'll have a look when it's released to read impressions.

MilkBeard

Good news. Should have already been an option for all of the XIII games. Heck, should be an option going forward. I hope XV will have a Japanese voice option in some way. That way if the English voices suck we can avoid it.

alekth

While I'd prefer for this to be free, it's a DLC I'd buy.

Still, for this particular game, I'll probably pass on the whole thing.

i really hope this becomes standard. people love their anime in original voices, so why not video games? makes sense to me.

if ff15 has this it'll be amazing.

While I'd prefer for this to be free, it's a DLC I'd buy.

Still, for this particular game, I'll probably pass on the whole thing.

it is free.

MogCakes

Yeah, exactly. This is preaching to the choir, really. Maaya Sakamoto's voice is lovely, so it's a nice gesture, but the game is going to sell horribly for what you expect from an FF. Nothing they can do about that now.

Pretty much. I hope the sales of this game teach SE a lesson about oversaturating a series. I'm looking forward to LR but I don't want sequels in FF to become a thing.

Unfortunately, with what has been said about XV, I'm not optimistic.

Durante

There's a good reason they don't (licensing is a bitch and a half), most people just don't know about it or ignore it.
I can never really buy that excuse as long as comparatively tiny companies like NISA can provide dual audio in every single game they publish, with a multitude of Japanese partners. If it was that hard, how can they consistently manage to do it while juggernauts fail?

Christhor

i really hope this becomes standard. people love their anime in original voices, so why not video games? makes sense to me.

if ff15 has this it'll be amazing.

While it might not seem like it judging by places like gaf, the average person actually does enjoy their dub more than the original voices. It's not without reason that most of the anime on TV is dubbed. The same goes for games.

Stuart444

If you have any interest in the game (and planned to buy it) and in the past have said "I'd pay for Japanese audio DLC" (for other games or FF) then it's time to pay up.

I am shocked by this though and will consider it based on price. I'm not too bothered by JP audio being there or not but if it's a good enough price, I may bite.

edit: Yeah, just read it's free for 2 weeks and that's fine, I'll get it then but regardless, my point above stands for those that get it after the free period has expired.

If you have any interest in the game (and planned to buy it) and in the past have said "I'd pay for Japanese audio DLC" (for other games or FF) then it's time to pay up.

I am shocked by this though and will consider it based on price. I'm not too bothered by JP audio being there or not but if it's a good enough price, I may bite.

Why this game? I already suffered through 13 and 13-2, It annoys me because this comes out several days after Bravely Default.

Unless the DLC is cheap then I'd just buy the game later when it's 20 bucks or so.

alekth

People really can't read the OP. Kagari should add (free for two weeks) at the title.

I read it perfectly fine. Do you think I'd buy a game I plan on passing on within two weeks of release? If I ever buy this game, it will be months later and very discounted. Hence I'd need to buy the DLC, and it will be DLC I don't mind buying.

fertygo

Every japanese game should do this, for free if even possible.. but I want had option to pay, if they not grant that as default.

LuuKyK

I read it perfectly fine. Do you think I'd buy a game I plan on passing on within two weeks of release? If I ever buy this game, it will be months later and very discounted. Hence I'd need to buy the DLC, and it will be DLC I don't mind buying.

You can download it within the two weeks that its free and it will still work if you buy the game two years after dude.

Stuart444

Why this game, I already suffered through 13 and 13-2? It annoys me because this comes out several days after Bravely Default.

Unless the DLC is cheap then I'd just buy the game later when it's 20 bucks or so.

well it's free for 2 weeks. You could always download it right away while it's free even if you're waiting for the game to get cheaper?.

edit: beaten :(

Squire

Banned
I can never really buy that excuse as long as comparatively tiny companies like NISA can provide dual audio in every single game they publish, with a multitude of Japanese partners. If it was that hard, how can they consistently manage to do it while juggernauts fail?

Well, difficulty is part one. Worth is part two.

It isn't worth it to most juggernauts. It isn't worth it to SE, they just really don't want this game to sell sub-500k per territory.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I would've thought they'd lock the free download to being accessed from the disc or via a code that comes in the box, so that people buy the game at full price. (Of course then people can still just sell it back and wait for price drops).

But if not then it seems to be primarily a survey to see the demand for Japanese voices, as someone else said.

Xanathus

I hope whoever is making the official thread for this puts DOWNLOAD THE FREE DLC NOW in the thread title, otherwise I'd likely forget about it.

I'd be excited if I hadn't had to play all prior games in English and gotten totally used to it over the span of a few hundred hours of gameplay.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This would actually push me to buy it at release to get it for free.

Why haven't they done this with the previous FFXIII games, or just in general. I don't want to pay for JP audio, but if it's the only way I would buy the DLC.

Go_Ly_Dow

Bahhahaha. All those years of whining.... Can't believe it finally happened. Always believed.

Now do the same for Noctis and crew please.

Top Bottom