• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ice - Automatically add ROMs to Steam

http://scottrice.github.io/Ice/

ice-example.png

Awesome, gonna try it later when I have time.

Coldsun

Banned
Definitely an awesome find and sure beats making scripts for each rom individually and then manually adding them to steam.

Omikaru

I've been waiting for a program to do this. I did it once manually with my non-Steam stuff (emulators + GOG games and so on), but Steam shat its pants and deleted all my non-Steam games (emulated or otherwise) from my list the next day, so I haven't bothered with it since.

Why do you care if they're on Steam?

It can act as a frontend or launcher for the games. It's especially useful if your PC is hooked up to a TV and you use Big Picture mode, but I can also see the utility of this for people who want to launch all of their games through one place.

There's also the Steam overlay stuff too, which a lot of people like.

Alvarez

Banned
This is so sexy that I am going to downl--err, rip my own ROMs from my own cartridges which I have legally purchased with my own money tonight.

Isnt' that also illegal? Just always thought that the "hey, you own the physical thing so you can make a copy legally" was just a myth.
No, he's right. The archive copy exception means that he can legally do that, as long as he copied it himself and as long as he does not distribute copies of that emulation to anyone else.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like it would be good for older games where you have one version of one emulator with the same settings for every game. But for some emulators like Dolphin you probably have multiple builds and have different settings for various games. (Unless you can add the same emulator multiple times and it just stacks together, if so disregard this I guess).

PCSX2 Bonus has a shortcut exporter that keeps settings and everything intact for PS2 games, but you would need to add each shortcut as a non-Steam game. And if Steam decides to blow up your non-Steam games, well, I hope you backed them up (I started doing this since it deleted mine every time I closed Steam/restarted my PC for a long time).

NewGame

Banned
I think the biggest issues with ROMs or emulators was the DS flash cart issue. I remember markets would straight up sell '100 games in 1' for $50; a flash cart full of ROMs.

I really have trouble feeling illegal/dirty/hurting Iwata's feelings when I downloaded a NES emulator to quickly revisit Balloon Trip after being inspired by an episode of GameCentre CX.

Kuroyume

Banned
If you add them to steam how does it play? Is ice the emulator or do you set which emulator it uses? Btw, looking at that picture just reminds me of how awesome the SNES was.

epmode

Is there any way to specify the ROM folder? I try to keep game stuff off my C drive.

edit: Ah, I was just looking in the wrong file. Config.txt is the place to look.
edit edit: Still doesn't work. I'm not sure why.

Tain

lol, I jokingly told a friend of mine that I might look into writing something like this about half a year ago.

But I didn't and this guy did and that totally works for me!

Tripon

Cant wait till this is on SteamOS, gonna be the best emulator machine ever.

No way this lasts.

It has nothing at all to do with Valve. These are just external shortcuts in the Steam client.

And Valve will probably have to close those shortcuts or something. Its not a good look for Valve if there's any hint you can use their machine to pirate stuff, even if the reality is that people are ripping their own games.

After all the hours of work I put into adding my library into BPM, this comes out.

Thanks Obama.

But I'm using Retroarch which runs full screen much better without any UI getting in the way.

Tecl0n

Finally, manually making the shortcuts and config while not exactly complicated was unnecesary time consuming. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

No way this lasts.

And Valve will probably have to close those shortcuts or something. Its not a good look for Valve if there's any hint you can use their machine to pirate stuff, even if the reality is that people are ripping their own games.

I don't think it's the best idea to broadcast to Steam that you're doing something illegal....

Sure, loose enforcement (at least that's what you think), etc., but it still doesn't seem like the best idea to indirectly publicly tell everyone that you're doing it.

mj laughing.gif

No way this lasts.

I don't see it becoming much of an issue - the OUYA has emulators on it and it's a console. You can do legal things with an emulator as well - like play homebrew stuff.

No way this lasts.

You can add pirated PC games to Steam anyway. Haven't seen that patched yet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The ability to add non-Steam executables to one's local library has been present for years. It's not going anywhere, not the least because of some mental gymnastics that the feature is somehow an implicit approval of piracy.

Top Bottom