• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Corrinne Yu (343i) joins Naughty Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...r-corrinne-yu-joins-uncharted-dev-naughty-dog

Former 343 Industries programmer Corrinne Yu has joined Naughty Dog to work on PlayStation 4.

Yu, who worked on Microsoft's Halo team for five years as Principal Engine Programmer after joining in 2008 from Borderlands developer Gearbox Software, said she was excited to develop on Sony's console.

For discussion of the news and the news only. Do not start another console war and please stop talking about industry insider gossip or inside baseball. And be nice!

Seeing the wizardry that Naughty Dog put into The Last of Us's graphic engine was astounding enough. Now it looks like they have one of the finest coders in the world working on their next-gen engine so who the hell knows what they will come up with. Heads will explode once it is showcased though I think.

Can't wait! Naughty Dog is like the Yankees of the development community. Everyone wants to go there and they seem to be able to bring in the most talented people in the industry.

Cornbread78

Oh well. Good pick-up for ND, maybe they will put together and make that third team to make that Starship comic game.. Sounds right up her alley..

JaggedSac

So this is two people that have left 343 to ND? Wasn't there a thread a couple days ago about someone else technical?

homelol

Neo Member
https://twitter.com/corrinne/status/404655972976586752
15806.png

stryke

So this is two people that have left 343 to ND? Wasn't there a thread a couple days ago about someone else technical?

No same person.

Although, I think this news has already been discussed to death. Eurogamer article doesn't add anything.

FranXico

Like many posted earlier, it is a very good deal for both Corrinne Yu and Naughty Dog. Her resume places her easily among the best graphics developers in the industry.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey, guys, the thread last night was locked after getting swallowed up by people doing the insider gossip thing after CBOAT made a very round-about statement to the effect of "you have no idea how true that is" after someone commented something to the effect of "wow, 343 is really hosed". As you can see from this thread yesterday, we are trying to discourage discussion getting completely and utterly hijacked by no-accountability insider-type gossip. This is not me taking a stance on whether or not those statements are true, just saying that they sort of derail any attempts to discuss the sort of factual, public parts of the story. Sometimes when we lock a thread (especially as part of any kind of ongoing sort of moderation discussion) and are evaluating whether or not there's anything else we need to do in terms of moderation, we soft-delete it (which marks it as invisible but does not get rid of any of the posts) and un-delete it later when we are done dealing with it

The plan was to have the story reposted after stuff boiled down a little bit this morning, and when FranXico reposted the discussion understandably ended up mostly being a continuation of the stuff that got the thread locked last night. So we're re-posting with a mod in the OP to try to keep the conversation on track a little bit.

I agree with posters earlier in this thread that the initial thread had some good discussion about the contributions of team members to overall products and that makes it doubly unfortunate that the thread got jacked a bit. So like Kev said in the OP, I think it makes more sense to keep the conversation focused on, like, the actual content of the news story instead of making it this derailed about gossip type stuff, right?

If you want to follow this up with one of the moderators, feel free to PM Kev or myself or any other moderator.

Arkanius

Her CV is fantastic.
Her work on Halo 4 really showed.

It's interesting to see this new wave of "DirectX and OpenGL are evil". More Steam for Steam Machines

Hey, guys, the thread last night was locked after getting swallowed up by people doing the insider gossip thing after CBOAT made a very round-about statement to the effect of "you have no idea how true that is" after someone commented something to the effect of "wow, 343 is really hosed". As you can see from this thread yesterday, we are trying to discourage discussion getting completely and utterly hijacked by no-accountability insider-type gossip. This is not me taking a stance on whether or not those statements are true, just saying that they sort of derail any attempts to discuss the sort of factual, public parts of the story. Sometimes when we lock a thread (especially as part of any kind of ongoing sort of moderation discussion) and are evaluating whether or not there's anything else we need to do in terms of moderation, we soft-delete it (which marks it as invisible but does not get rid of any of the posts) and un-delete it later when we are done dealing with it

The plan was to have the story reposted after stuff boiled down a little bit this morning, and when FranXico reposted the discussion understandably ended up mostly being a continuation of the stuff that got the thread locked last night. So we're re-posting with a mod in the OP to try to keep the conversation on track a little bit.

I agree with posters earlier in this thread that the initial thread had some good discussion about the contributions of team members to overall products and that makes it doubly unfortunate that the thread got jacked a bit. So like Kev said in the OP, I think it makes more sense to keep the conversation focused on, like, the actual content of the news story instead of making it this derailed about gossip type stuff, right?

If you want to follow this up with one of the moderators, feel free to PM Kev or myself or any other moderator.

Thank you for the explanation.

Chinner

Banned
Why? I'm guessing console warfare?
the thread started with discussion revolving around her contributions to halo 4 as well as her leaving comments regarding developing for xbox one. i don't know what happened afterwards, but the thread fell probably due to fanboy wars (nintendo fans claiming shigsy COULD make a game like the last of us if he wanted to) and because CBOAT posted insider gossip and thread revolved around that.

FranXico

Do you reckon she might be involved on the successor to the Phyre engine?

It would need to be rewritten due to the move from PowerPC to x86, and use of GPGPU instead of CPU resident DSPs.

Any chance Carmack jumps on board? Or would that endanger the space time continuum?

It is interesting with all the Space X visits and space game talk from ND that they go ahead and pick up a lady who seems to have a special affinity for space. Having worked on the space shuttle program and Halo and all.

Alucrid

Banned
Thanks for the clarification stump.

Any chance Carmack jumps on board? Or would that endanger the space time continuum?

It is interesting with all the Space X visits and space game talk from ND that they go ahead and pick up a lady who seems to have a special affinity for space. Having worked on the space shuttle program and Halo and all.

Carmack is at oculus now, why would he go to ND?

Acosta

Stump, should we open another thread about the subject you are tackling with insiders? I know gaf is not a democracy and at the end we will do what moderation decides (or be banned :p) but those tidbits by people who could know something are fun and useful sometimes for people like us that are here to share a passion for the industry, it would be a shame to see that disappear...

DieH@rd

Banned
If Uncharted 4 doesn't look like The Division, I have someone to blame.

Ubisoft reveal demos are often much more detailed than final products, and they always run on bestly PCs. Lets wait to see Division running on a real PS4 console [E3 2014].

Do you reckon she might be involved on the successor to the Phyre engine?

It would need to be rewritten due to the move from PowerPC to x86, and use of GPGPU instead of CPU resident DSPs.

Can anyone explain to me how Phyre Engine works? I guess only Sony exclusive projects can work with it, but is it free? Or do you have to pay a licensing fee like with any other engine?

Alienous

Boxing gloves were too amateur for her. She needed to feel the metal in her bones.

I remember hearing how Naughty Dog, the geniuses they are, utlized the processing power of the PS1 CPU in the PS2, in addition to the PS2 CPU to make Jak.

She's going to feel right at home.

Excited to see how this turns out. When 343 was put together, I remember people talking about how she was the big coup and one of the reasons why the game looks as good as it did (game was arse, but how and ever).

Excited to see what she does with other talented people at ND.

At the same time, I'm interested to see how Halo 5 turns out. Halo 4's graphics were like the only thing that game had going for it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stump, should we open another thread about the subject you are tackling with insiders or too? I know gaf is not a democracy and at the end we will do what moderation decides (or be banned :p) but those tidbits by people who could know something are fun and useful sometimes for people like us that are here to share a passion for the industry, it would be a shame to see that disappear...

We don't want to give the impression that people are not free to share stuff, but rather wanted to try to disrupt some of the culture of making every throw-away gossip-y tease remark ("I heard some funny stuff") into megaton news coverage. So it's sort of two-fold; from the insider side, take accountability for what you say and try to maybe restrain yourself a little bit from the sultry but not really information stuff, and from the public poster side try not to blow things up too much or buy into the legend too much. Obviously in the future should someone say something that is relevant to discussion, absolutely it's OK to talk about that, we were just trying to stop a derail. And obviously around console launch season this kind of stuff flares up especially bad. You can see my post in that Verendus thread I linked for more guidance.

So in answer to your question--no, don't make an insider clearinghouse thread, but yes obviously if something comes up that's worthy of discussion and you sort of think about it and it seems like something of general interest and not just putting a magnifying glass to low-end rumours then go ahead and post about it. I think using judgment is the best thing to do.

An amazing coder joins a technically amazing developer. Exciting times. Naughty Gods, if any of you are reading, please make a sci-fi game. Your art and attention to detail is amazing, and I would squee with delight if you of all devs explored this hugely under represented genre.

Can anyone explain to me how Phyre Engine works? I guess only Sony exclusive projects can work with it, but is it free? Or do you have to pay a licensing fee like with any other engine?

I'm not sure if it's free, but it definitely isn't exclusive to Sony projects. Dark Souls apparently used it. It was an engine that Sony made to try to fix the multiplatform issue with poor ports on the console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom