• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Corrinne Yu (343i) joins Naughty Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevil

https://twitter.com/corrinne/status/404655972976586752
15806.png

so this means 720p for a long long time on the X1? or is this only an windows related commend?

WinFonda

UC4 is well into development, maybe UC5 or TLoU2 we'll see some of her contributions.
Naw. Any graphics optimizations / additions she makes will benefit U4 first and foremost - which is likely a year out yet. Her contributions will be seen in all of ND's games for this gen. She's not there to direct games for them.

stevil

Can anyone explain to me how Phyre Engine works? I guess only Sony exclusive projects can work with it, but is it free? Or do you have to pay a licensing fee like with any other engine?

form wikipedia
PhyreEngine is a free to use, multiplatform game engine from Sony Computer Entertainment, compatible with PC, PSP, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. PhyreEngine had been adopted by dozens of game studios in over 90 published titles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhyreEngine

Acosta

We don't want to give the impression that people are not free to share stuff, but rather wanted to try to disrupt some of the culture of making every throw-away gossip-y tease remark ("I heard some funny stuff") into megaton news coverage. So it's sort of two-fold; from the insider side, take accountability for what you say and try to maybe restrain yourself a little bit from the sultry but not really information stuff, and from the public poster side try not to blow things up too much or buy into the legend too much. Obviously in the future should someone say something that is relevant to discussion, absolutely it's OK to talk about that, we were just trying to stop a derail. And obviously around console launch season this kind of stuff flares up especially bad. You can see my post in that Verendus thread I linked for more guidance.

So in answer to your question--no, don't make an insider clearinghouse thread, but yes obviously if something comes up that's worthy of discussion and you sort of think about it and it seems like something of general interest and not just putting a magnifying glass to low-end rumours then go ahead and post about it. I think using judgment is the best thing to do.

Roger, thanks.

stryke

From her tweet, can someone explain wha she means by that? I know shell be a great asset for Sony and ND.

She's probably no longer satisfied working with Windows 8 and DirectX and that she wants to work with hardware on a lower level.

Here's a tweet that she deleted earlier

kkk569H.png

Well, that would have been a good first stop *hangs head in shame*

I'm not sure if it's free, but it definitely isn't exclusive to Sony projects. Dark Souls apparently used it. It was an engine that Sony made to try to fix the multiplatform issue with poor ports on the console.

But how does that work, do devs have to use different engines for different platforms? Seems like a nightmare.

Interfectum

Her tweets are going to turn this into a console war thread faster than any cboat post.

Anyway, this is great news. I cannot wait to see what she adds to the already excellent Naughty Dog team. For all of Halo 4's faults, it looked amazing for a 360 game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does this mean ND is expanding into more teams or just strengthening their current teams?

I suspect if they were expanding in terms of number of teams, you'd see a pretty pronounced hiring spree (either for senior positions at the new teams, or for junior positions at the old teams as juniors at the old teams get promoted to senior positions at the new teams). But also 2 teams is already pretty substantial for a major studio.

I'd suspect it's just that Corrinne was looking for a change of scenery + most large teams are always looking for talented hires. But I don't personally know anything about either company, so who knows?

We don't want to give the impression that people are not free to share stuff, but rather wanted to try to disrupt some of the culture of making every throw-away gossip-y tease remark ("I heard some funny stuff") into megaton news coverage. So it's sort of two-fold; from the insider side, take accountability for what you say and try to maybe restrain yourself a little bit from the sultry but not really information stuff, and from the public poster side try not to blow things up too much or buy into the legend too much. Obviously in the future should someone say something that is relevant to discussion, absolutely it's OK to talk about that, we were just trying to stop a derail. And obviously around console launch season this kind of stuff flares up especially bad. You can see my post in that Verendus thread I linked for more guidance.

So in answer to your question--no, don't make an insider clearinghouse thread, but yes obviously if something comes up that's worthy of discussion and you sort of think about it and it seems like something of general interest and not just putting a magnifying glass to low-end rumours then go ahead and post about it. I think using judgment is the best thing to do.

I read your post on the Verendus thread and the post on this one, but they will get lost as new threads get created and new "megaton" rumors are posted. If you want to dissuade things getting out of control with these rumors I would suggest creating a sticky about how these should be handled.

FranXico

I read your post on the Verendus thread and the post on this one, but they will get lost as new threads get created and new "megaton" rumors are posted. If you want to dissuade things getting out of control with these rumors I would suggest creating a sticky about how these should be handled.

I also think this would be a good idea.

Shiloa

That is such a steal for ND, she's arguably one of the best graphic engine coders in the industry, Sony gone and done good :)
Not disagreeing, but curious as to how anyone can make this point. How can gamers tell who did what when it comes to these things? It's hard enough to tell how much of a game's quality even comes from the director, let alone an individual programmer.

daveo42

Banned
Thanks for the heads up Y2kev and Stump.

As much as I love ND, I hope she was hired to work with the ICE Team on first-and second-party solutions.

Based on her twitter post, it seems like she'll most likely be working on games for ND, at least at first. No clue if she'll ever end up with ICE or not.

Good pick up for ND here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is a huge deal for ND and if they put her on ICE, which they should, it'll benefit PS4 development as a whole greatly. She was the standout technical person on the previous teams she worked on and being on a tech team already as talented as ND will lead to some amazing collaborative results.

I suspect if they were expanding in terms of number of teams, you'd see a pretty pronounced hiring spree (either for senior positions at the new teams, or for junior positions at the old teams as juniors at the old teams get promoted to senior positions at the new teams). But also 2 teams is already pretty substantial for a major studio.

I'd suspect it's just that Corrine was looking for a change of scenery + most large teams are always looking for talented hires. But I don't personally know anything about either company, so who knows?

Did she physically move? I know her husband is still at 343 right?

Be a weird move, unless the husband is coming shortly since they have a child together.

c0de

Sounds like an acrimonious departure.

Regardless, ND are programming gods, and she'll probably feel at home with them.

Hmm, don't know how to interpret this as I am sure this because I don't think this is something against MS. Look at what Halo 4 achieved on 360, MS always made special versions of their APIs, just like Sony.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I really don't want discussion in this thread to derail into discussion about moderation as a whole, but thank you for your feedback on the issue and if you have any subsequent questions or suggestions feel free to PM.

Did she physically move? I know here husband is still at 343 right?

Be a weird move, unless the husband is coming shortly since they have a child together.

I had no idea her husband was also with 343. Heh, that's actually interesting.

Emwitus

Does this mean ND is expanding into more teams or just strengthening their current teams?

Isn't the ice team at naughty dog? I wouldn't think this would neccessarily mean an expansion of a "team". Whatever that means since im sure all of naughty dog worked on TLOU/Uncharted 3

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Isn't the ice team at naughty dog? I wouldn't think this would neccessarily mean an expansion of a "team". Whatever that means since im sure all of naughty dog worked on TLOU/Uncharted 3

ICE is a subdivision of the tech team at ND.

andycapps

I'd really like to see Naughty Dog tackle a game in the realm of The Thing and Alien, if they go the sci-fi route on their second title. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Naughty Dog actually has Uncharted, TLoU 2, and a new IP in the works. 3 IP studio? Sounds like madness but if any studio could make it work, it's them.

This is a huge deal for ND and if they put her on ICE, which they should, it'll benefit PS4 development as a whole greatly. She was the standout technical person on the previous teams she worked on and being on a tech team already as talented as ND will lead to some amazing collaborative results.

The ICE team is ND's tech team.

ICE is a subdivision of the tech team at ND.

It's not a one way street. They inform each other, with ICE having a focus on building solutions that can be employed across sony's wws. It's not like ICE is developing its own stuff separate from Naughty Dog. So essentially, it's the same thing for Naughty Dog.

You know I was watching the end credits of Res0gun from HouseMarque and saw a section for ICE Team scroll through.

So it seems like the ICE team will even go to third party groups and help out. Having her a part of the ICE Team would be a smart move as well if she wants to do it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
A sci fi game two years down the line from them would blow my mind. I want to believe in such a thing...
Best of luck to Corrinne in all her endeavors, she definitely is one talented human being.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To be clear, ICE is the tech team that builds dev tools for 1st and 3rd party companies. It's one of the things that helped save the PS3 and their tools made it easier to develop for.

It's changed a bit since then. It still is responsible for some of that stuff but back then it was a collaboration between multiple first party studios. Now it's just at ND.

Evan Wells talked about who the ICE Team is

It sort of feels like he has so many stories you could tell in a smaller space.

Yeah, and each one of the episodes is sort of like a standalone thing and I think we could do it pretty easily if we can find a different partner to work with, I'd love to. Going back to the technology question, though, we do have a team at Naughty Dog called the Ice Team. And they have been working since, I don't know how long, probably five or six years on PlayStation 3 technology writing.

Is that team internal to Naughty Dog?

Yes.

I did not know that. I thought it was a Sony first-party team.

Yeah, it's internal to us.

I see a lot of Ice Team credits on a lot of other first-party games.

Yeah. And then they also repackaged all those routines into the Edge libraries, which then get distributed to third-parties. So pretty much anybody developing on the PlayStation 3 is using code that was a separate development team.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/13/interview-naughty-dog-co-president-evan-wells/

I am pleased for her, seems she's happy about the move judging from her comments.

[Hindle]
Here's hoping she does better with the movie games at Naughty Dog than she did with her disrespectful work on Halo 4 though
[/Hindle] ;)

I really don't want discussion in this thread to derail into discussion about moderation as a whole, but thank you for your feedback on the issue and if you have any subsequent questions or suggestions feel free to PM.

I had no idea her husband was also with 343. Heh, that's actually interesting.

Her husband is a lead artist.

daveo42

Banned
It's changed a bit since then. It still is responsible for some of that stuff but back then it was a collaboration between multiple first party studios. Now it's just at ND.

It's still housed at ND, but their function hasn't changed since they were formed, though they don't work directly with 3rd parties anymore.

I'm confused to why this is a big deal. Halo hasn't been technically great in the last five years.

And does she really need to make digs at her ex employees? I hope it goes well for her.

Derrick01

Banned
Any chance Carmack jumps on board? Or would that endanger the space time continuum?

It is interesting with all the Space X visits and space game talk from ND that they go ahead and pick up a lady who seems to have a special affinity for space. Having worked on the space shuttle program and Halo and all.

I don't think Carmack is a big fan of consoles, especially these new ones that are weaker than what he wants to work on with the oculus rift.

I'm confused to why this is a big deal. Halo hasn't been technically great in the last five years.

And does she really need to make digs at her ex employees? I hope it goes well for her.
It seems like graphics programmers getting a new employer is newsworthy when they're women or John Carmack.

I was definitely looking forward to seeing what she could do on Halo 5, but I'm just as excited to see what she'll do on PS4. Great pickup for Naughty Dog.

Joke post? Halo 4 is arguably the best looking game on the 360 and Corrinne was a big reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom