• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

miserable

i have a question regarding an Xbox Live subscription: there is a free month offer now, but to activate it they need a credit card info. i use the US store mostly, but i'm from a country where there is no official Xbox store. so if i try to use my credit card, it won't accept it. is there any way to circumvent this?

Lima

i have a question regarding an Xbox Live subscription: there is a free month offer now, but to activate it they need a credit card info. i use the US store mostly, but i'm from a country where there is no official Xbox store. so if i try to use my credit card, it won't accept it. is there any way to circumvent this?

Nope not anymore.

miserable

buying Xbox 360 games from other regions is not an option? i tried to buy Red Dead Redemption from the russian store but when i click on buy it reverts me to the US store payment page. i tried with VPN too, same result.

Lima

buying Xbox 360 games from other regions is not an option? i tried to buy Red Dead Redemption from the russian store but when i click on buy it reverts me to the US store payment page. i tried with VPN too, same result.

No your account region determines your marketplace for the 360 stuff.

Lima

oh i see. i assume that account region cannot be changed, right?

It can be but you lose any credit you might have from your old region and some licenses if certain items are not available in the new region. You will also be locked in to the new region for 3 months without being able to change it.

miserable

It can be but you lose any credit you might have from your old region and some licenses if certain items are not available in the new region. You will also be locked in to the new region for 3 months without being able to change it.

got it. not worth the hassle just for this game at the moment. thanks for the info.

maximrace

Hey guys I have a problem. A few years ago I created an US account and gave in a New York billing adress ( I didn't know how the taxsystem worked). Now I want to buy some cheap games in the US store but I pay taxes because of my New York billing adress. So I changed it in my Microsoft account to Oregon and deleted the old adress. Now the Xbox purchase details still have the tax and the New York billing adress. How do I get rid of it? Thanks!

So, I updated SmartGlass on my Android phone but the prices changed to £ instead of $.
How to change the prices back to USD? (Note: my console is PAL system and I unchecked the preference option that making prices based on the console region).

desu

Just as a heads up, the MS store supports Paypal now. Not sure if it will forever stay like this but right now you can buy in foreign stores on the official xbox website without any vpn etc. Just bought Forza Horizon 3 in Singapore where its the cheapest price for me without any hasle. They are charging 10 days before release apparently for preorders.

Lima

Just as a heads up, the MS store supports Paypal now. Not sure if it will forever stay like this but right now you can buy in foreign stores on the official xbox website without any vpn etc. Just bought Forza Horizon 3 in Singapore where its the cheapest price for me without any hasle. They are charging 10 days before release apparently for preorders.

I was about to post this yesterday and forgot it. Yeah MS previously supported PayPal but your PayPal region needed to match the region you were buying from and not all regions supported PayPal.

Now you can just use your PayPal for every region, it doesn't need to match anymore. This is huge, we are back baby.

Lettuce

Nice!!.

If you buy Forza Horizon 3 on the Xbox One do you get a copy of the PC game aswell, like Quantum Break and Killer Instinct 3?

Lima

Nice!!.

If you buy Forza Horizon 3 on the Xbox One do you get a copy of the PC game aswell, like Quantum Break and Killer Instinct 3?

Yes. Since it is part of the Xbox Play Anywhere program you don't even need to wait for a code this time. It will just show up as owned in the windows store and you will be able to install it.

69.90 SGD little over £40 for me. Thanks for bumping this, have pre-ordered. Are we good on refunds if they do a last minute Steam announcement?

Lettuce

Yes. Since it is part of the Xbox Play Anywhere program you don't even need to wait for a code this time. It will just show up as owned in the windows store and you will be able to install it.

Sweet!!. Just bought the Ultimate edition for £63 would have cost me £80 if i bought it from the UK site!!!.

Thanks for the heads up!!!, this is some much easier to buy form foreign marketplaces now, i wonder why MS are so open to this back door and not bother about closing it up and in fact making it easier to buy from other marketplaces!?

razord

Neo Member
Do you need to add PayPal to each region manually, or does it pick it up if you've got it on one?

I'm hoping to pick up the Bioshock collection, but it looks like maybe the UK is cheapest thanks to the recent sterling.. issues!

Lima

Do you need to add PayPal to each region manually, or does it pick it up if you've got it on one?

I'm hoping to pick up the Bioshock collection, but it looks like maybe the UK is cheapest thanks to the recent sterling.. issues!

Just like cc you need to add it for every region manually.

Zafir

Nice, grabbed Forza Horizon 3.

Was meaning to just go through the old method anyway, but hearing it got even easier again - might as well do it now.

desu

I'd not considered using PayPal across regions. Are there any limitations? I guess you have to make up an address for each region still.

You have to, but it didn't even check if the address exists when I bought something in Singapore.

Broman1978

So, can I buy Forza Horizon 3 on Singapore Marketplace and then change back to my Swedish region and the game will be charged the amount it costs from Singapore Marketplace and not the super expensive swedish Marketplace?

Lima

So, can I buy Forza Horizon 3 on Singapore Marketplace and then change back to my Swedish region and the game will be charged the amount it costs from Singapore Marketplace and not the super expensive swedish Marketplace?

Yes but don't even bother switching it on the console or anything. Just do it on Xbox.com.

Ein Bear

Yes but don't even bother switching it on the console or anything. Just do it on Xbox.com.

Wow so you can just buy things via the webstore and PayPal now? I could never be bothered messing around with region swapping and such on the console itself, but this sounds incredibly easy. Definitely looking into it tonight.

desu

Wow so you can just buy things via the webstore and PayPal now? I could never be bothered messing around with region swapping and such on the console itself, but this sounds incredibly easy. Definitely looking into it tonight.

Yep, only switching on the website and you're done. No VPN or anything else. Piece of cake now (lets hope it stays this way).

Lima

You always could buy stuff from different regions on xbox.com. That is what I always did. I'm not going to change my region on my Xbox since you have to do a full reboot every time. Back then we used credit cards but that got blocked. PayPal was available in Germany, US etc. for example but your PayPal account region always had to match the Xbox region you were trying to buy from.

Now with this latest store update they added PayPal to a lot more countries and the region doesn't matter anymore. For now. I'm sure Microsoft will close this loop hole in a couple months.

Broman1978

Hm, I saw now that if I change region on Xbox.com I must wait 3 months until I can switch again? I use an app here in Sweden (Cmore) that might not work until I change back, no?

Lima

Hm, I saw now that if I change region on Xbox.com I must wait 3 months until I can switch again? I use an app here in Sweden (Cmore) that might not work until I change back, no?

That is switching the actual region of your Microsoft account. DO NOT DO THIS

On Xbox.com just scroll down to the bottom and you will find a country setting. Just select the one you want to buy from. This doesn't change anything about your profile. Only the region for the current browsing session.

Broman1978

That is switching the actual region of your Microsoft account. DO NOT DO THIS

On Xbox.com just scroll down to the bottom and you will find a country setting. Just select the one you want to buy from. This doesn't change anything about your profile. Only the region for the current browsing session.

Oh thanks! What would we do without you ^^

TheKeyPit

Banned
So, all I need to do is set up my paypal account on my Xbox One where the region is set to US? (I haven't added paypal as a billing option so far)

Edit: Will try this with Recore to see how it works.

Lima

This new method with paypal.. does it works with paypal funds too or just CC?

Why don't your try and tell us if it works? I assume it would but you need to keep an eye on your funds so you have the necessary amount when it gets charged. I would assume PayPal handles the conversion too but can't say for sure.

Xumbrega

Banned
Why don't your try and tell us if it works? I assume it would but you need to keep an eye on your funds so you have the necessary amount when it gets charged. I would assume PayPal handles the conversion too but can't say for sure.

I just tried, with Overwatch crates, it worked just fine :p

But it didn't asked me if I wanted to pay with CC or funds, they just used the paypal funds right away so if you guys have funds on Paypal they will automatically use these funds I guess.

Lima

I just tried, with Overwatch crates, it worked just fine :p

But it didn't asked me if I wanted to pay with CC or funds, they just used the paypal funds right away so if you guys have funds on Paypal they will automatically use these funds I guess.

It probably uses funds first and then whatever you have setup as your default payment method in PayPal which in my case would be a credit card.
Thanks.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I wanted to add paypal as a payment option on my Xbox One, but it didn't work, because of a problem on microsoft's end. I went to xbox.com and picked United States for that website as the region and went to my microsoft account on the top right. There under payment options I could add paypal as a payment option for United States after logging into my paypal account and approving of this process. Paypal is now a payment option for my account in the United States.

Now I'm going to try to pre-order Forza Horizon 3.

Edit: Pre-ordering worked and I also bought Telltale Batman Episode 1 to see how this works with the billing, taxes, etc.

Edit2: This works perfectly. It uses my Xbox US address as my billing address for the paypal purchases and all it takes for paypal is to convert the price from USD to EUR and charge me. Nice. I hope it stays this way.

Lima

I wanted to add paypal as a payment option on my Xbox One, but it didn't work, because of a problem on microsoft's end. I went to xbox.com and picked United States for that website as the region and went to my microsoft account on the top right. There under payment options I could add paypal as a payment option for United States after logging into my paypal account and approving of this process. Paypal is now a payment option for my account in the United States.

Now I'm going to try to pre-order Forza Horizon 3.

Bruh buy from Singapore or Hong King. Cheaper and you get to play Friday at 6pm. Perfect start to the weekend.

desu

It's 72€ on there.

Considering retail without vip/car pass would be 60€ here alone makes it a pretty good price, combined with the game unlocking right when the weekend starts (instead of the middle of the week) makes it just perfect.

Lima

Considering retail without vip/car pass would be 60€ here alone makes it a pretty good price, combined with the game unlocking right when the weekend starts (instead of the middle of the week) makes it just perfect.

That's what I'm saying. Ultimate edition is the way to go for Forza. Now Gears on the other hand not so much.

TheKeyPit

Banned
That's what I'm saying. Ultimate edition is the way to go for Forza. Now Gears on the other hand not so much.

I'm never going to buy a Gold/Deluxe/Ultimate Edition for any game. I'll be paying ~54€ for my Forza experience and that's all I need. I'm perfectly fine with the stuff I'm going to get in the FH3 Standard Edition.

desu

I'm never going to buy a Gold/Deluxe/Ultimate Edition for any game. I'll be paying ~54€ for my Forza experience and that's all I need. I'm perfectly fine with the stuff I'm going to get in the FH3 Standard Edition.

Then please buy in Singapore, its 46,10 € there :).

Top Bottom