• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Traditional "very directed" campaign story; entire solar system explorable

We knew it had a story able to be experienced alone a while ago, but it makes me excited that it's not a throwaway and they're putting some real effort into it. Hell yes.

From the Game Informer issue:
While Destiny offers a robust multiplayer experience, everything branches out from the exploration, leveling, and shooting. Destiny encourages you to move in and out of interactions with other players at your leisure, but you can also spend entire sessions tackling story missions and side content without the aid of others.

Like a traditional single-player shooter, Destiny features a cinematic story with a clear conclusion.

"There is a very defined storyline, with a beginning, middle and end," says head of community Eric Osborne. "For those who want to binge and concentrate on story, you can have what feels like a very directed, cinematic experience."

On planets and exploration:
Each location in Destiny is a grand open space for exploration, adventures, and discovery. These first 5 destinations (Mars, Venus, the Moon, Old Russia, and The Tower) are a sampling of what's to come; Destiny's fiction clearly establishes all the planets, moons, asteroids and other features of our solar system as fair game for exploration.

Free-roaming the worlds:
A tour through Old Russia offers a clear representation of free-roaming flow. Some may remember the E3 demo of Destiny. A scripted mission played out underneath a massive wall, ending in a larger public battle against a Fallen tank mech. However, turn a few different corners, and you emerge beyond the wall into a free-roaming countryside.

With a button press, you can hop on your personal vehicle and skim across the grasslands at high speed. Off to the side, a small sea gleams in the sunlight, with ancient rusted ship hulks jutting up from the shoals.

"We want people to come back to these places, explore, find new places to go, and have new reasons to come back."

Details on some of the planets:
Old Russia
Here players can explore the ruins of the Cosmodrome, a real location in Kazakhstan that serves as a launch site for the Russian space program. The Cosmodrome was humanity's bridge to outer space; it's now home to colony ships forgotten in the wake of its collapse

Venus
Once a scientific research settlement for humanity, it has now become engulfed in a jungle and a sulphuric storm rages. The buildings are being eroded away by the ocean but at its centre is the Vex citadel, a tower with an unknown purpose.

Mars
Formerly a thriving metropolis, it is now buried under a sand, with only the peaks of skyscrapers visible. It's home to the Cabal, who are clashing with the Vex.

The Tower
Home for the guardians, described as "Earth's Camelot". This is where players will be able to purchase items from vendors, turn in quest items, and interact with other players. It also has "class-focused areas" for Titans, Warlocks, and Hunters

Moon
Infested by the Hive, the moon's surface has splintered and spread around space. It once housed a human colony, but much of it has been buried in lunar soil.

// Mod Edit:

As a quick note, this is still an online-only game: http://www.shacknews.com/article/77873/destiny-is-online-only-even-for-single-player

ShackNews said:
Bungie's upcoming Destiny will feature a highly crafted narrative experience, one that you can experience as a traditional "campaign." However, even if you're playing the game single-player, you will need an online connection. "To play Destiny, you need to be connected," Bungie's Pete Parsons succinctly noted.

Exploration, hell yeah! Will it be like Mass Effect 1's planet exploration? I always thought that was cool, even though most planets didn't really have anything interesting. It was still awesome, though.

Hydrargyrus

SP story??

post-26056-Antonio-Banderas-computer-reac-cWjn.gif

Spawnling

I think it's more modeled towards the "if you explore EVERYWHERE, you're going to find the coolest gear/weapons/loot, rather than those players who specifically only jump into multiplayer."

Great stuff.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PR guys were complete assholes at Dreamhack. Sucks, since I was looking forward to this.

Glad to hear that ! All I need to hear from them now is a detailed description of any microtransactions / DLC. Looking more and more like a pre-order for me.

EDIT: Since by SP they meant online only story vs being able to play the game offline when the server crashes, or they take them down... I may not pick this up afterall. Guess I will have to wait and see some more.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Single player, sure, but not offline single player... or am I wrong?

Yes: http://www.shacknews.com/article/77873/destiny-is-online-only-even-for-single-player

ShackNews said:
Bungie's upcoming Destiny will feature a highly crafted narrative experience, one that you can experience as a traditional "campaign." However, even if you're playing the game single-player, you will need an online connection. "To play Destiny, you need to be connected," Bungie's Pete Parsons succinctly noted.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
I would love to explore Saturn and Jupiter, they've always been my favorite planets =D

I am curious of how we could enter Venus since the atmosphere is incredibly hot. Do we have large vessels that can overcome the heat? Or did we Terraform the planet ?

Okay maybe I am just overthinking this
Wink_Razz_emoticon.gif

highrider

Banned
I'm really hoping the offline experience is fun. This and Titanfall look cool, but I rarely want to play competitive or co-op.

daveo42

Banned
Oh man. I really hope these are large areas we get to explore. I liked exploring the different planets in The Old Republic, but they still felt way too linear and not nearly open enough. I need some good exploration on a variety of planets.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm really hoping the offline experience is fun. This and Titanfall look cool, but I rarely want to play competitive or co-op.

From what they've implied and said directly, the offline experience will be an error message that tells you to connect to the internet.

Hope they aren't getting too ambitious with the content. Campaign is nice but if it's going to take resources away from the Coop and Competitive I'd rather they not include it.

DieH@rd

Banned

There is no offline experience. But you can get "solo" experience that will sometimes throw at you optional public event.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hope they aren't getting too ambitious with the content. Campaign is nice but if it's going to take resources away from the Coop and Competitive I'd rather they not include it.

The campaign is part of the co-op. It's like Borderlands.

The main story missions are just more narrative/set-piece heavy than the side missions and explorable areas.

Paskil

So I should get this, but I should wait at least a week for the inevitable intitial server issues to be sorted. Got it.

ObiDin

I am completely the opposite on co-op, I pretty much only want co-op games. I absolutely love playing alongside my friends. On 360 I loved: Borderlands 1 & 2, Halo's, Minecraft, Left4Dead's, Diablo 3 and now Warframe on PS4.

Which is what Destiny reminds me of the most. It seems like a more polished version of Warframe, switch out space ninja's for space knights, from the creator's of Halo.

Can Not Wait! May splitscreen and co-op gaming never die!

So, is this exploration along the line of olf Mass Effect, predefined level areas or huge worlds?
The levels will be fairly large:

A tour through Old Russia offers a clear representation of free-roaming flow. Some may remember the E3 demo of Destiny. A scripted mission played out underneath a massive wall, ending in a larger public battle against a Fallen tank mech. However, turn a few different corners, and you emerge beyond the wall into a free-roaming countryside.

With a button press, you can hop on your personal vehicle and skim across the grasslands at high speed. Off to the side, a small sea gleams in the sunlight, with ancient rusted ship hulks jutting up from the shoals.

"We want people to come back to these places, explore, find new places to go, and have new reasons to come back."

SirCrush

Everything I hear about this game SCREAMS potential. If they pull this off the way they are presenting it, we're in for - in my opinion - one of the greatest gaming experiences ever conceived. Hell, I'll go ahead and say it's already THE greatest experience ever conceived...it's just a matter of if it plays as well as it was imagined.

Top Bottom