• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Traditional "very directed" campaign story; entire solar system explorable

highrider

Banned
I am completely the opposite on co-op, I pretty much only want co-op games. I absolutely love playing alongside my friends. On 360 I loved: Borderlands 1 & 2, Halo's, Minecraft, Left4Dead's, Diablo 3 and now Warframe on PS4.

Which is what Destiny reminds me of the most. It seems like a more polished version of Warframe, switch out space ninja's for space knights, from the creator's of Halo.

Can Not Wait! May splitscreen and co-op gaming never die!

That's cool, but I just want to play a game. I work a lot and have children so most of my gaming is early morning or late at night. It simply isn't worthwhile for me to get a game that isn't the full experience solo. That said, I love halo so I'm very interested.

Marc

Title got me hyped, posts of facts about no offline single player has got me back to being meh about this game.

Just seems a cheap cop out for these game companies to just focus on multiplayer to get the same money for half a game that will drip feed them cash long after its release. Same with console DRM, I have to ask would you really be all that impacted if you had an offline single player in this game? Are you gaining so much by being online and multiplayer focused that it justifies ignoring core gamers?

Honestly I hope it and its ilk fails and we get quick sequels with the same engine with a single player focus. No offence to the bungie team, just won't put cash into something like this and I hope the majority don't either. Otherwise it looks a cool game.

The size and scope of the game (explorable solar system) along with the deep customization options is nothing like Halo.

We have no idea how "big" the five different locations are, it might very well be on-par with Halo 1-4. It's also not really an explorable solar system when you can only visit 3 planetoids, with the rest becoming available in Destiny 2-X.

These first 5 destinations (Mars, Venus, the Moon, Old Russia, and The Tower) are a sampling of what's to come; Destiny's fiction clearly establishes all the planets, moons, asteroids and other features of our solar system as fair game for exploration.

The size and scope of the game (explorable solar system) along with the deep customization options is nothing like Halo.

Anyone play Defiance? I think this is the type of world that they are doing but with more deeper stuff. You have single player story missions and side quests, pvp, and coop. But with a Halo and ME feel to it. Thats how i feel from the stuff theyve shown so far.

ElRenoRaven

Goddamn it. So making the wait harder Gameinformer. Seriously I can't wait anymore. I just want to explore. I loved that in Bungie's other games and those weren't even open world...errr...space? like this. Considering how much cool stuff Bungie hid in those games I can only imagine the cool shit hidden all over this game's play space and even beyond it.

Yeah, this always-online deal is not doing it for me. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend.

Yeah - that is going to stop me from buying a lot of games. Not all of them - but I have a hard time wanting to help back a future of online only gaming / gaming as services only. I love online, and co-op, but also love some true SP.

I suppose, based on the description, that all that stuff in the distance will be explorable and not just eye candy right? That'd be beyond impressive if true.
There was a narrated version of the E3 demo by Bungie that looked off into the mountains/forests and said all of that is explorable :)

boeso

However, turn a few different corners, and you emerge beyond the wall into a free-roaming countryside.

With a button press, you can hop on your personal vehicle and skim across the grasslands at high speed. Off to the side, a small sea gleams in the sunlight, with ancient rusted ship hulks jutting up from the shoals.

Me, myself and I are going to have a great time with this game! Everyone else, stay away!

We have no idea how "big" the five different locations are, it might very well be on-par with Halo 1-4. It's also not really an explorable solar system when you can only visit 3 planetoids, with the rest becoming available in Destiny 2-X.
The rest of the planets are explorable, they are only detailing these 5 areas in the mag.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Title got me hyped, posts of facts about no offline single player has got me back to being meh about this game.

Just seems a cheap cop out for these game companies to just focus on multiplayer to get the same money for half a game that will drip feed them cash long after its release. Same with console DRM, I have to ask would you really be all that impacted if you had an offline single player in this game? Are you gaining so much by being online and multiplayer focused that it justifies ignoring core gamers?

Honestly I hope it and its ilk fails and we get quick sequels with the same engine with a single player focus. No offence to the bungie team, just won't put cash into something like this and I hope the majority don't either. Otherwise it looks a cool game.

For the type of game they're making though, online multiplayer is the core gamer. Though it does seem to be more justified with a game like TitanFall where it's a more traditional multiplayer game that doesn't make sense when playing alone. From what little I've seen of Destiny I haven't seen why it couldn't have an offline mode but I haven't seen nearly enough to make that call. I'm not interested in any full priced online only game myself, I can't see any scenario where I ever end up paying $60 for a game with an online requirement or with a focus on multiplayer. But they aren't making this game for me.

The rest of the planets are explorable, they are only detailing these 5 in the mag.

I'm not sure if that's the case, at least not for the first game, based on the quotes in that article.
I am looking forward to this game, but I feel like there might be a little bit too much hype thrown its way.

Wizman23

Banned
I hope Bungie isn't over selling the scope and how big this game actually is. I want to spend hundreds and hundreds of hours in this game. I'm wondering if the entire solar system will be available on day 1 or if the rest of the planets and locations will be available via expansions or in Destiny 2, 3, etc... Since the game only has 3 classes to chose from we can pretty much guarantee more classes will be added in the sequels.

Banned
My favourite planet has always been Jupiter. Can't wait to play this game and explore the whole solar system and see what Bungie came up with :)

daveo42

Banned
There was a narrated version of the E3 demo by Bungie that looked off into the mountains/forests and said all of that is explorable :)

Oh man oh man oh man...

I guess the bigger question now is if they'll cut out most if not all fast travel to keep players coming back to these areas. I suppose fast travel to your personal hip/hub would be nice, but the removal of fast travel all together would be a welcome change. Maybe even different ship ports where you can and travel too once you've explored. Like a remote outpost or something.

I guess the only big negative would be the time to get to the more remote areas if the game world is massive.

Sounds great to me.

And yeah, the online thing is inevitable. It'll be couched in words like "experience" and "connected" but all it really means is DRM.

As long as it's stable then so be it.

I'll believe it when I see it. Mass Effect had like a hundred explorable worlds. All but 4 or 5 were basically the moon but in a different color and somehow with the same 2 buildings.

Now, if they found some way basically procedurally generate a Skyrim world as well as animals, quests, building, and fed it all with an art and sound team that basically never stopped producing assets solely to keep this procedural engine going... that'd be something to note. 99% chance of that not being the case though.

Mitch

Banned
entire solar system explorable
Let's see how Bungie does with this. If done right, it could make the quality of this game skyrocket. The ability to explore that much tacks on a good number of hours to your experience. With multiple hubs, reasons to explore, quests and what have you, being able to do this would be amazing.

I'll believe it when I see it. Mass Effect had like a hundred explorable worlds. All but 4 or 5 were basically the moon but in a different color and somehow with the same 2 buildings.

Now, if they found some way basically procedurally generate a Skyrim world as well as animals, quests, building, and fed it all with an art and sound team that basically never stopped producing assets solely to keep this procedural engine going... that'd be something to note. 99% chance of that not being the case though.
Well, they have a better chance. They have 150 people for art alone on the game.

Mondy

Banned
Everything I hear about this game SCREAMS potential. If they pull this off the way they are presenting it, we're in for - in my opinion - one of the greatest gaming experiences ever conceived. Hell, I'll go ahead and say it's already THE greatest experience ever conceived...it's just a matter of if it plays as well as it was imagined.

If there is anyone that can make what is essentially an MMO actually a captivating experience, it's Bungie.

Trying to classify this game:

An Online, Massively Multiplayer, First Person Shooter, Open Universe with Open Worlds Role Playing Game.

So it's a OMMFPSOUOWRPG.

amirite?

However, turn a few different corners, and you emerge beyond the wall into a free-roaming countryside.

Halo isn't free roam . It is a linear based game with some levels having slightly big open environments , but most levels are point A to B or A to B , C , or D to G ( very few of them are like that). The only halo game that had free roam is ODST.

Mitch

Banned
Well, they have a better chance. They have 150 people for art alone on the game.
With a game this huge, you would hope their art team would be massive. Good to know.

Not investing in anymore online only games.
Why do I need an internet connection for a games campaign?
I'm on the fence when it comes to this issue. So far I haven't had any issues with online SP games. They should have an offline mode regardless of issues.

I am truly excited for the upcoming beta! Hope they hit it out of the part with this game.
Fingers crossed for beta invite.

Current speculation is that Destiny's playable locations align with a modified version of the Ptolemaic order of spheres:

1. The Moon
2 .Mercury
3. Venus
4. Sun Earth (The City, Old Russia)
5. Mars
6. Jupiter Europa
7. Saturn (Or possibly a derelict spacecraft orbiting Saturn.)

R0ckman

I think it's more modeled towards the "if you explore EVERYWHERE, you're going to find the coolest gear/weapons/loot, rather than those players who specifically only jump into multiplayer."

Great stuff.

Birdman-rubbing-hands.gif

Marc

For the type of game they're making though, online multiplayer is the core gamer. Though it does seem to be more justified with a game like TitanFall where it's a more traditional multiplayer game that doesn't make sense when playing alone. From what little I've seen of Destiny I haven't seen why it couldn't have an offline mode but I haven't seen nearly enough to make that call. I'm not interested in any full priced online only game myself, I can't see any scenario where I ever end up paying $60 for a game with an online requirement or with a focus on multiplayer. But they aren't making this game for me.

Maybe, but I don't think they and others are being clear on what they are. Saying its an online game when really it is an MMORPG, so in doing that I don't think that is their aim to just get that market. But also get the casual gamer their Halo games grabbed, who I consider as the core gamer who dabble in multiplayer.

Titanfall I think has a good excuse in that they are a very small team, its their first game and their previous experience is multiplayer deathmatch. I also think they are being clear in what they are saying what the game is and is not. They are targeting the COD multiplayer gamer clearly.

Yeah, I see your point but I think they are targeting you to be honest which is why they are being elusive and hazy in their messaging. And this is us, people who go on game forums, its going to be even more unclear to general console gamers. And in not defining themselves as an MMORPG or what have you, they are arguing they deserve to be a full priced game. Meanwhile other MMORPG's are using the free to play method and relying on microtransactions.

ObiDin

That's cool, but I just want to play a game. I work a lot and have children so most of my gaming is early morning or late at night. It simply isn't worthwhile for me to get a game that isn't the full experience solo. That said, I love halo so I'm very interested.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like having the choice to play singleplayer. When you're 34, you're best friends most likely have kids and can't play all the time. But to me co-op just adds so much to the value of games as long as it is not just tacked-on. Speaking of which, the co-op in ACIV is not fun.

Back to the original point, why is this(SP) a surprise? Watching the playthrough from E3 they made it pretty obvious that the co-op was drop-in/drop-out, which to me sounded like you can play by yourself.

The campaign stuff is actually the first bit of info that has gotten me interested in Destiny. Everything they showed prior made it look like a more serious Borderlands mixed with a boring MMO.

That being said, I fully expect the fact that it being online only will mean it either will be unplayable day one or so hampered by server traffic that it won't be stable for at least a week or two. Activision at least has experience launching games with massive online communities, but even with CoD, 9/10 that first week is rough.

Mitch

Banned
Back to the original point, why is this(SP) a surprise? Watching the playthrough from E3 they made it pretty obvious that the co-op was drop-in/drop-out, which to me sounded like you can play by yourself.
The idea of online single player is frowned upon, so the reaction, regardless of awareness, is typically what we're seeing.

The ability to drop in and out of a game is nice, mind you. Losing your connection for whatever reason, or not having one to begin with, really kills off interest for some people.

This is going to be amazing.

I just hope Marty took a little less "Orchestral" approach with the soundtrack and went "Less Halo" and more "Mass Effect" with it.

Top Bottom