• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

stupid question about how banning works in GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
so how do you tell the difference between a member w/ a permaban and a regular timed ban on GAF? are permas when their avatar is completely gone or not?

it's something that has always eluded me during my time as a member i guess

smurfx

get some go again
so how do you tell the difference between a member w/ a permaban and a regular timed ban on GAF? are permas when their avatar is completely gone or not?

it's something that has always eluded me during my time as a member i guess
there is no difference unless that user tells you somehow. the avatar being gone is a glitch and does not mean a user is perma banned.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
no difference noticeable for non mods.

I've wondered stuff about banning as well but never made a thread im fear of a mod saying, "I'll show you first hand!"

Only other thing I'll add is I used to frequent another forum and I liked how banning worked for them. Posts that broke ToS or what not where minimized and covered with "User was banned/received warning for this post." If you really wwanted to, you could open it and see what the post was.

Not sure how common that is but I thought it was a cool system.

The avatars disappearing is a glitch and is unrelated to ban duration. There is no mechanism for a user to find out how long somebody else was banned for. That person may reveal it through Facebook or Twitter or whatever. On occasion we will say something like "no he's not permed" in a thread if it's derailing a discussion but usually you will just have to sit and wonder.

fallagin

The avatars disappearing is a glitch and is unrelated to ban duration. There is no mechanism for a user to find out how long somebody else was banned for. That person may reveal it through Facebook or Twitter or whatever. On occasion we will say something like "no he's not permed" in a thread if it's derailing a discussion but usually you will just have to sit and wonder.

Oh, I did think that it meant perma. That is an interesting revelation. Then again though I have seen people who I thought were permabanned back posting again, I guess I thought evilore showed leniency :p

Silky

Banned
i have gaf gold and all i got was this stupid quick reply box at the bottom
LLShC.gif

pants

You could probably fix this glitch by looking at how this code is put together for gaf.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...lems-and-troubleshooting/273410-banned-avatar

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sit and wonder, yes, but for how long do we sit and wonder? When do we stand and wander?

Soriku

i have gaf gold and all i got was this stupid quick reply box at the bottom
LLShC.gif

Speaking of GAF Gold the other day I noticed I had it at the top when I was browsing on my phone. It disappeared as soon as I switched the page though :x

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Speaking of GAF Gold the other day I noticed I had it at the top when I was browsing on my phone. It disappeared as soon as I switched the page though :x

You saw nothing.

Thorgal

I consider everyone permabanned until i see them back posting here.
if said user does not come back after 2 months max. i consider them officially permed.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Peopled getting permed should be allowed one final post before account lock out. This seems like a good idea :|

Thorgal

Peopled getting permed should be allowed one final post before account lock out. This seems like a good idea :|
Bad idea . because then the one whos about to be permed has nothing more to lose and can go on a massive tirade and throw mass insults and
and throw threats left and right simce hes about to get permed anyway.

I know people love a good meltdown from time to time but this site would quickly become gamefaqs level of bad.

GhaleonEB

I consider everyone permabanned until i see them back posting here.
if said user does not come back after 2 months max. i consider them officially permed.
Bans can be longer than two months but they are less common. Jr. bans tend to be perms.

I'm sure we'd get some gems. And goatse.

Several members of FootyGAF got 6-month bans during Mumeigeddon (also known as Kiplessgate).

Could you tell us more about this Mumeigeddon? Background story, what did they do, etc.
Just don't post pictures of dicks, even if pixeled or in tight pants. And maybe don't joke that you looked whether certain mods were online before posting them.

It's a shame since - even if one didn't like them - they were active and mostly good posters, except maybe after dark. That said, they fucked up that night.

I have vivid images in my head right now...

caesar

Banned
Just don't post pictures of dicks, even if pixeled or in tight pants. And maybe don't joke that you looked whether certain mods were online before posting them.

It's a shame since - even if one didn't like them - they were active and mostly good posters, except maybe after dark. That said, they fucked up that night.

Shame, Wilbur is one of the greatest on GAF.

Son Of D

I thought junior bans were always perm? For what kind of offense can you get a timed ban as a junior?

I've only seen 1 junior get a temp ban. I'm guessing the reasoning was that it was ban worthy, but not bad enough to be a perm. Like the tamest of bannable offences or something.

Also, is there a limit to the amount of times a member can get banned? Like 5 bans and you're permanently banned?

I've only seen 1 junior get a temp ban. I'm guessing the reasoning was that it was ban worthy, but not bad enough to be a perm. Like the tamest of bannable offences or something.

Also, is there a limit to the amount of times a member can get banned? Like 5 bans and you're permanently banned?
I've been banned 7 times if I remember correctly (I'm doing my best not to get banned again)

GAF is the toughest school but it does work. I now know better than ever when it's appropriate or not to post something.

Dereck

I do this thing where, if I see a funny post made by a user that is currently banned, I think they got banned for that post. It makes it funny.

andthebeatgoeson

I've wondered stuff about banning as well but never made a thread im fear of a mod saying, "I'll show you first hand!"

Only other thing I'll add is I used to frequent another forum and I liked how banning worked for them. Posts that broke ToS or what not where minimized and covered with "User was banned/received warning for this post." If you really wwanted to, you could open it and see what the post was.

Not sure how common that is but I thought it was a cool system.
I like that idea. It's feedback. I'm sure some douche will use it for e peen or embarrassment but it'll let people know when the rules are adjusted. I see many banned people in very recent threads and it would probably improve discourse instead of just wondering why you are walking amongst dead bodies. Can't tell if a duck dynasty convention broke out or if a Jurassic mod just got hungry.

Son Of D

I've been banned 7 times if I remember correctly (I'm doing my best not to get banned again)

GAF is the toughest school but it does work. I now know better than ever when it's appropriate or not to post something.

Huh. So it does seem to be more of a case of the severity of the bannable offence. I'll be sure to watch my step though.

Mumei

I thought junior bans were always perm? For what kind of offense can you get a timed ban as a junior?

Almost always. Sometimes it's something so minor that it feels silly to do it. Or sometimes it is a junior who seems to otherwise be a really good poster who just made a minor mistake.

I wouldn't suggest juniors counting on it; it's still like... 99-1 for perm-temp when we're talking about junior bans.

Vyroxis

Banned
When you enter GAF you only get a screen that tells you that you've been banned, how long and why. You can't do anything.

Mine didnt say why, it just said "Welcome to No Bullshit Thursdays".

I caught Bish in a sour mood that day, but that is now a phrase I use in real life.

LoveCake

What is GAF Gold ?

This is the first have heard of it, i have had a look about & cannot find anything about GAF Gold.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What is GAF Gold ?

This is the first have heard of it, i have had a look about & cannot find anything about GAF Gold.

After at least a three-year member-status trial period, a few elite members of GAF get a personal invite by Evilore to join GAF-gold.

It costs a shit-ton of money, but man, it's so worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom