• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going digital download only? Not on the PlayStation 4.

RanoNL

tl;dr: Bought a PlayStation 4. Bought FIFA 14 from the PlayStation Store. Game doesn't work because of a bug. Paid 570 euros. Three weeks have passed and I'm still can't play the game. Morale of the story: buy games on a disc.

--

Generation eight would be my first digital download only generation. No longer would I buy my games on a disc. At least, that is what I planned to do. Until..

November 29 this year I bought a PlayStation 4. As soon as the PlayStation Network allowed me I bought FIFA 14. This digital copy costs €69,99 (about $95) including VAT.

After patiently waiting for the download to finish I started FIFA 14 for the first time. I enjoyed the introduction match between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. Damn, this game feels good. After winning 1-0 from Real Madrid I wanted to start my career as a player. Spend about half an hour to create a younger version of me. A talented soccer player who would start his career at AZ Alkmaar. After simulating some days it was time for my first match. A friendly against MVV. We won the game but my character didn't score. Better luck next time I thought.

Little did I know, there wouldn't be a next time. After hitting the continue button FIFA 14 crashed. Error CE-34878-0. Well, restarted the game, played the match again and it crashes again. And again, and again. It doesn't matter which game type I play. After finishing a match the game crashes and I loose progression. I submitted the error to Sony more than ten times now.

So I called the Sony customer service. They were very sorry for me and they would investigate the problem. After three days they gave me a refund. They didn't contact me, so I contacted them. They told me that if I would delete the game, buy it again, download it, install it, renew my licenses, it should work. I did all this but unfortunately the bug still exists. Called Sony again, they would send my bug report to England (so I'd know they take this very serious). That's ten days ago. Yesterday I contacted the customer service again. England is still investigating the problem. I asked for a refund to my PlayStation account (not my bank account). That was not possible because England was very busy solving this problem.

After spending 570 euros and waiting for three weeks I still can't play FIFA 14. How great is that? While the problem can be fixed easily. Sony gives me a refund (so I can buy another game from their store) and I will just buy FIFA 14 on a disc.

Buying games on discs is exactly what I'm going to do from now on. I don't buy a lot of games per year, so I don't really care about spending more for a digital download. As long as the game works I'm fine with that. This experience is so disappointing. There is just no benefit to buy your games at the PlayStation Store.

simples

Banned
bought resogun and killer instinct digitally, love the convinience of both on both systems, no disc changing no hassle

going all digital !.....except for garbage trade in material like killzone

Fredrik

I feel for you. And after seeing the thread where Sony support said they could and would ban the users account if it would get hacked more than once I kind of agree. From my understanding, a banned account would mean that every purchased dlc, every game, every igc ps+ game etc is lost. Maybe this account system thing is not such a great idea after all, as customers we apparently have surprisingly little control over the stuff we pay for.

bebop242

I said i was going all digital. Bought knack digitally, beat it, sees gamestops 40 trade in value, decides to change my mind going all digital.

Steroyd

Just quick googled the error code and some forumers say it works after signing in as guest or offline.

Personally I would not buy a sports game that has a shelf life of 12 months anyway, but that sucks.

MavFan619

Banned
I'm all digital aside from Killzone and eventually Infamous. And have yet to have any issues. Sorry to hear you had a problem but I don't think it will be a common occurence.

glaurung

All my time with PS3, Vita and PS4 and I have never encountered a problem such as this.

I have probably bought way more digital download titles than I should have. I even have some duplicates due to my PS3's disc drive dying. So I bought for example Diablo III at a digital sale because I play it a lot and the game churns the disc like crazy.

You got the refund, why not buy the boxed game?

Memino

Banned
I tried just once to get a refund for a £7.99 game and they were having none of it, game couldn't get past the menus and I asked for a refund, they asked me to redownload it, it wasn't on my list to redownload. It's been 2 weeks, they took down all my details and said their network team will have a look and get back to me, poor customer support and I'm staying away from digital. I've never had a problem returning retail.

Lusankya

I fail to see how that has anything to do with digital vs. retail. Any version of a game could be affected by bugs.

This only happened to me twice when I bought some games that went live early on the PS Store. In both cases I got refunds pretty quickly and was able to buy them again and play them with no issues.
After that I tend to buy games from PSN only after the blog updates.

They also forwarded a problem I had to London, and they answered 12 or 13 days later. Guess they are busy, but give them some more time.

That error apparently occurs in a number of games. I haven't gotten it yet.

The thing with PC digital download only is that you can try and solve the issue, on the PS4 you're pretty much shit out of luck.

Aeneas

For me their services always worked fine... the issue I have is the price of new games is in many cases a lot higher than in retail.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
tl;dr: Bought a PlayStation 4. Bought FIFA 14 from the PlayStation Store. Game doesn't work because of a bug. Paid 570 euros. Three weeks have passed and I'm still can't play the game. Morale of the story: buy games on a disc.

For me the leap forward in technology and access to instant gaming is of far more value than having to swap discs. Your story is uncommon and faults happen anyway, what if your PS4 bricked when you bought it? then would the moral be 'don't buy ps4'?

you got bugged and it sucks badly and they should fix it, but complain a lot you might get free stuff. I'll personally never purchase physical ever again (unless cheaper or earlier) for anything at all.

I buy my games from the US amazon store. Saves me 30% on UK prices.

how? also, region locking?

Fifa honestly seems like a buggy mess. Chinese whispers here but there one person having loads of bugs untilt hey curtailed their friends list and then when they bought fifa money (yeah I know...) they were charged 3 times and both Microsoft and EA refused to take responsibility (they paid via Paypal so did a dispute there).

I fail to see how that has anything to do with digital vs. retail. Any version of a game could be affected by bugs.
The idea is a retail version can be returned and refunded but honestly Amazon is the only retailers to do so and only if you talk to the right rep (the reps are based in a completely different continent).

There was a topic a month ago about someone who got two games which need to go online for unlocks (and the servers had been taken down). The one they bought from the high street they couldn't return while Amazon were happy to refund.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't get people who pay full price for Fifa. They do not hold their price at all.

Seems to be very little benefit going digital this gen (especially on PS4).

Everything installs to the HDD anyway. Installs are quick as hell and you also have a disc to trade in should you wish to.

Lusankya

The idea is a retail version can be returned and refunded but honestly Amazon is the only retailers to do so and only if you talk to the right rep (the reps are based in a completely different continent).

You can also get a refund for a digitally bought game and the TC got his refund, so again where does the digital vs retail come from?

suedester

Banned

It's easy and works the same way on the PS3. Make a US amazon account and use a fake US shipping address (tip: pick an address from a non tax paying state). Pay with your standard UK debit/credit card as they don't check against its address. Redeem the code against your US PSN account (you can do it online if you wish). If you make the PS4 your primary console for the US account you can then play the digital game on your UK PSN account.

--

Generation eight would be my first digital download only generation. No longer would I buy my games on a disc. At least, that is what I planned to do. Until..

November 29 this year I bought a PlayStation 4. As soon as the PlayStation Network allowed me I bought FIFA 14. This digital copy costs €69,99 (about $95) including VAT.

After patiently waiting for the download to finish I started FIFA 14 for the first time. I enjoyed the introduction match between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. Damn, this game feels good. After winning 1-0 from Real Madrid I wanted to start my career as a player. Spend about half an hour to create a younger version of me. A talented soccer player who would start his career at AZ Alkmaar. After simulating some days it was time for my first match. A friendly against MVV. We won the game but my character didn't score. Better luck next time I thought.

Little did I know, there wouldn't be a next time. After hitting the continue button FIFA 14 crashed. Error CE-34878-0. Well, restarted the game, played the match again and it crashes again. And again, and again. It doesn't matter which game type I play. After finishing a match the game crashes and I loose progression. I submitted the error to Sony more than ten times now.

So I called the Sony customer service. They were very sorry for me and they would investigate the problem. After three days they gave me a refund. They didn't contact me, so I contacted them. They told me that if I would delete the game, buy it again, download it, install it, renew my licenses, it should work. I did all this but unfortunately the bug still exists. Called Sony again, they would send my bug report to England (so I'd know they take this very serious). That's ten days ago. Yesterday I contacted the customer service again. England is still investigating the problem. I asked for a refund to my PlayStation account (not my bank account). That was not possible because England was very busy solving this problem.

After spending 570 euros and waiting for three weeks I still can't play FIFA 14. How great is that? While the problem can be fixed easily. Sony gives me a refund (so I can buy another game from their store) and I will just buy FIFA 14 on a disc.

Buying games on discs is exactly what I'm going to do from now on. I don't buy a lot of games per year, so I don't really care about spending more for a digital download. As long as the game works I'm fine with that. This experience is so disappointing. There is just no benefit to buy your games at the PlayStation Store.

I had this problem with madden-- deleting the save game fixed it, not the game itself

rafaelr

you need to create an amazon US account for digital downloads.
and you need an US PSN account to redeem the codes.

i´ve sent US$ giftcard-codes to my US amazon account from my EU account and bought ACIV and tiny brains US PSN codes. Downloaded onto PS4 with the US PSN accnt and been playing them with my regular EU accnt without problems.

the price difference between EU and US is what´s driving me towards all digital more and more (got ACIV for ~29€ instead of 60€).

You got the refund, why not buy the boxed game?

He was told to re-buy the game digitally and the problem would be solved. He's trying to get a second refund (which I think he'll eventually get). The only thing he did wrong was to believe Sony's customer service.

What country are you in OP?

Yaoibot

All digital on PS3, 360, Vita and now PS4. Never had an issue. In fact, in Canada on the PSN, they don't charge you the tax on the PSN store! Don't know if its a glitch or whatever, but I wouldn't complain. So I get the usual $5 discount for digital or, in the case of stingy 3rd party publishers, still a basic %15 off new releases.

Your case sounds atypical, OP. I don't know why SEN hasn't given you a refund. Should be as simple as getting a CSR on the phone.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Sorry to hear that, but I never had a single problem with PSN digital purchases on any Sony platform. Bugs happen.

LevityNYC

Banned
I bought KZ shadow fall as part of B2g1 free on amazon.com.

I traded it in for 40. It didn't cost me a dime for a month rental.

RanoNL

Man, I feel for you going through all that shit.

I wouldn't say it was a 'typical' case though.

Well, the reason they send the bug report to England was because this was a "common problem".

I had this problem with madden-- deleting the save game fixed it, not the game itself

I tried that as well. From the harddrive, from the cloud. Doesn't help. Also the tip to play offline or as a guest doesn't work.

He was told to re-buy the game digitally and the problem would be solved. He's trying to get a second refund (which I think he'll eventually get). The only thing he did wrong was to believe Sony's customer service.

What country are you in OP?

The Netherlands.

Az alkmaar -_-

I was doubting between AZ and Feyenoord ;)

im pretty sure nintendo digital store is way better

sorry about your problem,but after years buying cheap games on the psn store and with some plus discounts playstation digital store is the way to go,buyed ac4 for 35 euros on ps4 yesterday

by the way op..570 euros? way to dramatize your problem....

kiguel182

I would go fully digital if the prices weren't so high. Even if there is a risk of happening something like it did to you for Steam-like prices I would risk it.

The fact that there's no need for disks is a plus too.

Unfortunetly AAA games are way to expensive on PSN, I can find them cheaper on Amazon and I'll go with what is cheaper.

Hopefully this will change once the generation goes.

Jburton

Banned
I'd love to go full digital, but my ISP recently put in bandwidth caps.

Bought BF4 and AC4 digital and have had zero issues in that regard, and I am a UK based gamer and those two games where bought from Amazon US.

I think I will go digital only on PS4.

Sorry about your bad luck.

Top Bottom