• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

journey is easily the most beautiful console game of the last generation

dEvAnGeL

after playing killzone SF on ps4 and watching my friend play ryse on xbox one ( i dont own one ) and playing many pc games i got during this past sale on steam i got this itch of playing some games on my 360,ps3, so i fired up uncharted 2 and 3, they still hold really well but i could clearly notice the difference, then i fired up some gears 3 and halo 4, same thing, takes time to enjoy those games visually as before, but man, i started playing journey and that game looks absolutely gorgeous, one of those games you can go back at any time and will still surprise you by its beauty, i hope we get a sequel sometime in the near future

Loved Journey. Didnt really "get" the game until much later after I finished it.

I shelled out $60 for the art book. Great stuff there even though I think the book is overpriced.

Gadirok

IMO Uncharted 3 looked the most beautiful game to me.

Uncharted3.gif

Can't find a image but that entire area in France was breathtaking. Staring out at the sea during the storm as well, though you couldn't exactly dive into it.

Definitely one of the more memorable moments of journey. A shame it only lasts like a minute though.

dEvAnGeL

It is beautiful, but I think Ni No Kuni is prettier.
Ni No Kuni is my favorite RPG of the last 7 years, i put 75 hours into that game, i have a job, go to school and live with my wife, have no idea where i found the time, i fell in love with that game but still IMO journey beats it

Mononoke

Banned
I thought Beyond Two Souls looked better. But I also think art design trumps technical graphics. And in that sense, Journey is certainly more beautiful. By a large margin.

Shinta

Banned
I've never seen a 10 minute scene overrated more than this. Don't get me wrong, I loved the sunset surf. Had a huge smile on my face, very, very well done.

But that's basically the only graphically stunning scene in the entire game.

NeoGash

I think Journey will look good for much longer than any other game. As beautiful as a game like Uncharted or The Last Of Us or Gears looked, you go back to them after seeing next-gen or PC and notice so much aliasing, poor geometry, pop-in, low-res textures etc. and it makes you wonder when the game is going to start looking good again. Something like Journey or Limbo or The Cave will look stunning in ten years time, which is why a great art style is very important.

It truly is a beautiful game. It's the one game I've been craving to play again lately. I'm not sure if i should wait for the PS4 version or just play it on the ps3

Sakujou

Banned
as much as this game got hyped, i feel sorry for so many other games, which were artistically great but didnt get even a tenth of the attention.

as an example: el shaddai. a visual masterpiece, and the story was some fucked up christian-mythology shit, but unfortunately the gameplay couldnt hold up... also no one hyped this game... while journey was hyped into oblivion and way back by sony and their fans.

BigDug13

Journey was a fantastic metaphor for life and afterlife. Especially if you found a random companion and went through it together. Not sure why a sequel would ever get made for a game like this. It's one of a kind.

Shinta

Banned
as much as this game got hyped, i feel sorry for so many other games, which were artistically great but didnt get even a tenth of the attention.

as an example: el shaddai. a visual masterpiece, and the story was some fucked up christian-mythology shit, but unfortunately the gameplay couldnt hold up... also no one hyped this game... while journey was hyped into oblivion and way back by sony and their fans.

Yeah, that's a great point. Honestly, it takes infinitely more courage and imagination to actually try and depict heaven, since it's so vague and formless in most art.

Where Journey ends and fades into a white screen, not showing anything - that's where El-Shaddai begins. I don't think a lot of people realize it's the guy who made the art style for Okami.

jgmo870

Banned

It's sadder that all the Okami fans don't give it any attention.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Yep. That Journey was pulled off readily on a PS3 is a major reason I don't see much to get excited about with the next-gen of systems.

Seconding el shaddai, that game was something else. Easily as impressive as journey, with a lot more diversity in art styles.

whitehawk

Banned
My favorite part about Journey was the multiplayer. I went into it not knowing that it had multiplayer. I thought it just had really oddly programmed AI. I thought the other guy was a tutorial at first, showing me where to go and how to play. Then, he just sort of wandered off. It was so cool, only realized I was actually playing with people until after I finished the game.

Top Bottom