• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder |OT| Relying on NostalJunk

Drago

m5swaHH.png
CNXba5o.jpg

Z7baU1a.png
bma7qfx.png
qhuxTYF.png

RELEASE DATES
Japan: July 2nd, 2013 | North America: January 9th, 2014 | Europe/Australia: July 3rd, 2014​

VAJdeQp.png

This story takes place in the not-too-distant future, when tiny robots can travel into the past to collect "NostalJunk"—odds and ends from everyday living—and bring it back with them. It’s always been The Curator's dream to open a NostalJunk museum. With Chibi-Robo’s help, that dream could become a reality.

From Chibi-Robo’s perspective, you live in the past! Use the Nintendo 3DS Camera to look for everyday objects that match the shapes in your silhouette film, and then start snapping pics. Depending on how well a real-world item’s shape fits the silhouette, it may qualify as first-rate NostalJunk.

A5T7QlL.png

The game is a mix of classic Chibi-Robo gameplay with photo-taking as a gameplay tool. This is a real (albeit smaller) Chibi-Robo game, not just a photo/AR app!

7323pyV.png

Happiness is the currency that Chibi-Robo trades in—specifically, Happy Points that you can use to buy silhouette film.
Chibi-Robo meets a lot of colorful characters in his travels, and most of them need a little help. If you do your job well and solve their problems, they’ll pay you handsomely in Happy Points.

KS8Ansl.png

5pvn7Zm.png

yvLjYfU.png

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Special thanks to GeekyDad for handing the OT rights off to me. My first OT, so please go easy on me! :p

Koppai

I hope everyone buys this and hopefully that will lead to a regular Chibi Robo game. I never got to play the original, only the first DS game. The second and NPC Chibi Robo were never localized :( Finally a use for the 3DS cameras!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I will be buying this the second it goes on the eShop. It's criminal that we never got the 2nd DS game.

Koppai

You Americans better buy this :[!

Please based Shibata, let us have this too :(

Considering it's first rating was on the OFLC in Australia I don't think you need to worry. :)

I remember trying the demo on my Japanese 3DS but couldn't really figure out what to do so I gave up, glad to see a quick release for this game!

Goli

Considering it's first rating was on the OFLC in Australia I don't think you need to worry. :)

I remember trying the demo on my Japanese 3DS but couldn't really figure out what to do so I gave up, glad to see a quick release for this game!

A six month delay is quick? 😑

Also, I posted this in the other thread but since this is the OT I'll post the reviews I found of the Japanese version here:
http://norakurari221.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-155.html (Japanese review)
http://kaijupop.com/2013/07/shashin...;チビロボ-3ds-review/ (English review)

(I'm totally copying zigg's emoji usage from now on!)

rjc571

Banned
I hope everyone buys this and hopefully that will lead to a regular Chibi Robo game. I never got to play the original, only the first DS game. The second and NPC Chibi Robo were never localized :( Finally a use for the 3DS cameras!

Sorry, I'm a huge fan of Chibi Robo and I would have loved to support the series, but the framerate in Photo Finder is so bad that playing the demo (of the Japanese version) made me want to vomit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'll give a demo a try when it's up. The challenges sound rather interesting. Any word on what the special outfits look like?

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Bring it on. Bring it on!

I should dig up my Gamecube copy for kicks. If I can find it.

ethanny2

Will this be a real full game or just an excuse to utilize the 3DS' camera? It looks interesting, but I really want to this to be like Chibi Robo for the GameCube

Goli

Will this be a real full game or just an excuse to utilize the 3DS' camera? It looks interesting, but I really want to this to be like Chibi Robo for the GameCube

A real full game that serves as an excuse to utilize the 3DS' camera it seems. 📷

Het_Nkik

Hmm, if you can't find proper objects to snap pictures of, can you just draw something on a sheet of paper with that same outline and take a picture of that? Because that could lead to some funny results...

Het_Nkik

Also, I feel like I should really play my two DS Chibi-Robo games before I play this one. I'm so far behind on so many of my games...

Still buying it day 1 to show support, though.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm on the fence so I am only going to pick this up if I enjoy the demo. I really like the original but I'm not so fond of Park Patrol. The Nostaljunk challenges sound cool so I really hope I like it.

minty_jpg

I'm so glad you made this OT. I thought I was the only person looking forward to this cool little thing. Day 1 for sure.

I like the idea of having to take pictures of our personal belongings to match vague silhouettes as a goal for a video game. This game looks pretty creative and silly, which is why I'm on board to try it.

McNab

Banned
I'm buying the hell out of this, chibi-robros before chibi-hoebos!

But seriously, the concept is so simple yet that is the very thing that makes it really interesting, it's good ol' nintendo fun-factor.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
I don't care if this is the worst game ever I am buying this the second it is available. The world needs more Chibi-Robo. I want more, and I'm still upset we never got the third game in the USA. While I hope this is fun, I am buying this in the least as a message to Nintendo that this game series needs more support and I am here to give it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I've read everything in the OP and still I have no idea of why the gameplay structure is... Are there only challenges or it has a proper "campaign" story mode?

watershed

Banned
I'm curious but not yet sold on this game. I'm worried about repetitive gameplay from what I've seen in some videos.

Goli

I've read everything in the OP and still I have no idea of why the gameplay structure is... Are there only challenges or it has a proper "campaign" story mode?

Challenges are basically contests Nintendo will hold, but the game does have a story mode where you help the museum's curator find nostaljunk to make the museum more popular, as well as helping out the inhabitants like Joshy Bear and so forth.

I'm going to finally get a 3DS soon to play Bravely Default so I'll be getting this too. Love Chibi-robo, it's an insta-sale for me.

maxcriden

Challenges are basically contests Nintendo will hold, but the game does have a story mode where you help the museum's curator find nostaljunk to make the museum more popular, as well as helping out the inhabitants like Joshy Bear and so forth.

I was really fascinated to see in that Japanese version review that Joshy Bear was originally named Justin Bear, as in Bieber. Bizarre!

Hale-XF11

I can't tell either, but I kind of assumed with the $10 price tag that it's more of a mini-game than a full campaign.

jtrov

I've never played a Chibi-Robo! game before, yet I'm pretty damn excited to give this a purchase tomorrow. I don't know how I missed out on the first game since I owned a GCN, but I definitely regret never playing it.

I've watched some videos of the first game to get an idea as to what to expect, but I'm not sure it helped in understanding what Photo Finder will entail. Regardless, I look forward to earning "happy points" and snapping some photos. I just hope there will be plenty of gameplay regardless of the low asking price.

Drago

Added a bit to the OP under the photos section about the game being a classic Chibi-Robo venture with photos as a gameplay element, hope that clears things up.

maxcriden

Anyone find any reviews as of yet? I just asked Nintendo Life when theirs goes up; they mentioned in their Weekly Downloads article that they were impressed with the JP version.

Westraid

Ah darn I somehow missed the NA only (for now) and assumed I could get it today. :(
Really hope Europe will get it soon.

Top Bottom