• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder |OT| Relying on NostalJunk

maxcriden

Any reviews yet?

I just searched Google and checked Metacritic, it doesn't appear there are any reveiws of the US version yet. I'm thinking this might be like NES Remix where reviews don't come out for another day or two unfortunately. I do hope I'm wrong though. Also, I wonder if the demo really will be up today as well, as it was not mentioned in Nintendo Life's article about new Nintendo Downloads for this week.

zigg

I just searched Google and checked Metacritic, it doesn't appear there are any reveiws of the US version yet. I'm thinking this might be like NES Remix where reviews don't come out for another day or two unfortunately. I do hope I'm wrong though. Also, I wonder if the demo really will be up today as well, as it was not mentioned in Nintendo Life's article about new Nintendo Downloads for this week.
I'm waiting for anything to show up! When does eShop update these days? I remember it used to be 9 a.m. Pacific/12 p.m. Eastern.

It says the demo will be out today, too:
********** said:
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Chibi-Robo!: Photo Finder - Become one of the world's best tiny robot helpers by taking pictures of real-world objects using the Nintendo 3DS Camera to help open a new museum. Collect Happy Points by vacuuming, picking up trash and helping a cast of colorful characters. Collected Happy Points can be used to purchase in-game film that lets you photograph real-world objects and transport them into the game for the museum's displays. The full game and free demo version of Chibi-Robo!: Photo Finder are both available exclusively in the Nintendo eShop

Goli

Downloading the demo and then I'll probably purchase it whether I like it or not. The only way I see myself not buying it after the demo is if I REALLY really really don't like it. But I loved Chibi Robo and Park Patrol so the chances of that happening are low.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Was surprised to see a demo, but I am just buying it on blind faith, I do love me some Chibi Robo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Full game is 4,020 blocks. Guess that's around 500 MB?
502-ish, yeah. Conversion rate is 8 blocks = 1 MB, so just divide whatever the block amount is by 8.

Finished downloading the demo & you're allowed 15 plays.

JB2448

Bought and downloading on my university's Internet. I'm looking forward to playing through this.

Goli

Decided to delete the demo and purchase the full game after photographing my first nostaljunk. If you want a better frame rate do not use 3D, though even without 3D it's abysmally low in some parts.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Huh, never even heard of this. I loved the original Chibi Robo so I'll try the demo out.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Just started the demo, the frame rate IS HORRIBLE.

I agree, but the game looks pretty. Based on what i've played so far, It's not going to be a game where frame rate being poor will effect the overall gameplay but we shall see.

Berordn

I tried out the demo, and wasn't expecting to be bothered by the framerate, but it is pretty jarring at times. It's pretty though and exploration is kind of fun, if basic. I'll probably get it, even though I'm not super keen on the AR focus.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Tried the demo, photographed a bagel. I don't need to play more: I'm buying the full game.

Goli

I remember seeing that 3DS tech demo before it came out that showed basically what it could do, and I think I had never seen a game really do all those things shown in the tech demo until this game. It's really strange how such a small game looks so amazing. Specially considering previous Chibi Robo games had a much more cartoony look, while it seems like this game attempts a more photorealistic style.

zigg

Must be a good demo. 😄

Background downloading wasn't starting, so I'm foregrounding it now so it's ready when I have time…

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow the framerate really is terrible.

It seems pretty basic. Focus on the photo stuff where you're confined to a small desk, with actual exploration options that teleport you around. The Kitchen I'm in is a single counter so I'm not really running around a big room.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
After taking two pics and exploring the kitchen, it's....okay. I'm not really bothered by the framerate, though I'm mixed on the photo taking. The idea's neat and it leads to some creative thinking on what you can use for a photo, but the accuracy seems kind of off. For the 2nd silhouette film, it was a plug, so I took a pic of one, got 83%. Went to find another one, said it was 50% (suggested it was lighting), was displeased, so went back to the previous outlet that I took a pic of. Except this time, I must have been closer or a different angle, because this time it told me I was 100% accurate. Not to mention the circle one, I took a pic of a clock for 83% accuracy, but a sphere ball gave me about 65%. & I can't help but feel someone might "cheat" or compensate for not finding something they can take a pic of by just bringing it up on a computer screen & then taking a pic of that.

Considering my backlog and such, I feel like I'll wait for this to go on sale. There's some interesting ideas, and I look forward to seeing that contest to see what kind of stuff people submit.

pariah164

I want to buy this game... but I can't get the second photo in the demo to take. My walls are all white. My outlets are white. Yeah I think I might be SOL.

EDIT: Yay for Google images. I got this!

Goli

I'm terrible at the guesstimating measure tape mini game. I missed all three of the tries you get and got a single happy point 😔

Berordn

So I guess I finished the demo, since every character in the game tells me to play on in the full release... Was hoping they'd have one of the minigames on display at least.

The trailer you get for finishing it makes the exploration look like it gets much more involved but... eh. The kitchen wasn't very inspiring. I'll probably get it anyway, it has some potential.

Kinsei

Banned
The game wouldn't read any of the plugs in my apartment (White plugs on white walls) so I had to take a picture of a playing card instead.

I enjoyed the demo, so I'll buy the full game tonight.

rjc571

Banned
Why'd they make the US demo shorter than the Japanese one? The Japanese demo lets you explore the garden as well as the kitchen.

Seems like an interesting little game from the demo, but I can't help but feel that it lacks a lot of the appeal of the first Chibi-Robo. And the art style is bizarre, and the frame rate is really janky. I get that they wanted to give the game a pseudo-realistic look to fit with the pictures you'd be taking, but I feel like the awful frame rate wasn't worth it. They should've kept the original's cartoony look.

Goli

I just got the can nostaljunk. Won't spoil anything but the events that happen when you photograph it are amazing.

Berordn

Is there a story mode? Where does this take place in the series of games?

The story is that you're trying to make a Nostaljunk museum and the only way to do so is by collecting happy points to make Nostaljunk film which you get by doing a bunch of cleaning related tasks, completing tasks for the toys and playing minigames when they call for your help.

It doesn't seem to follow the arc from Chibi-Robo 1 & 3, though Drake Redcrest shows up.

Goli

Is there a story mode? Where does this take place in the series of games?

There's no selectable modes, the AR picture taking is part of the story mode, as well as the stories of the other characters you help to get happy points. At least that's how it is so far.

Drago

Not gonna be able to download for a few more hours. I can't wait any longer :(

Shame that the frame rate seems to be janky, but in a game like this I don't think I'll mind too much.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I never played the other games (but I'll remedy to that soon!), but I'm having a blast with Photo Finder. It's so charming...

This is rad as hell. So far I've photographed my hamster in his rolling ball (for the first silhoutte) and the outlet (for the second one). It bothers me that the measuring thing is in inches (here in Mexico we use centimeters) but I somehow got the three of them right by using Chibi as a reference.
The framerate is somewhat bad, but, eh, I've seen worse. I'd say this was well worth the $10 I spent.

I played the demo and I'll be purchasing the full game.

I made the foolish move of finishing the demo too soon without exploring everything it had to offer...

But I love Chibi-Robo and the trailer it showed me after the demo made me want to get it for sure! Frame-rate is a bit janky though, is it like that in the full game as well?

Goli

The toilet paper picture is giving me a lot of trouble. I can't seem to get the right perspective, so far 75% of accuracy is the most I can get, but I foolishly wasted all my attempts trying to get better results so now I'm out of tape film ):.

maxcriden

I tried the demo just now and it was only okay. The framerate is really poor, surprisingly so. I don't know how good of an idea it really gave me for what the game is actually like, though. The photo-taking was okay, not that fun. Exploring the kitchen counter was pretty unexciting. I'd really like to read more impressions and reviews.

Man the lighting sucks where I'm staying at right now so I'm kinda having trouble with the pictures. Had to turn on he flash from my phone to take a couple of them lol.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if I'll ever manage to get a 100% match... What happens if you do?

Drago

Finally got home to download this!!

And wow, the graphics in this game are insane. Definitely up there with some of the best on the system IMO and I've only just started. Framerate isn't bothering me nearly as much as I thought it could too. Loving it so far. :D

Top Bottom