• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Deus Ex and System Shock 2? Check out CONSORTIUM!

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Banner_6.jpg

This game was just released and no one on GAF is talking about it????

"Taking place entirely aboard a massive futuristic aircraft, CONSORTIUM is a first person science-fiction role-playing experience unlike any other. The story begins in our world - the "real world" - where we here at Interdimensional Games have developed a satellite (iDGi-1) capable of opening a digital rift through time and space...

Anyone with an internet connection can travel through this rift and awaken within an alternate dimension from our own - the "game world" - in the year 2042."

Features:

• Immerse yourself into the complete interactive story of what happens aboard the C-3800-D "ZENLIL" Consortium Command vessel on December 21st, 2042...

• Built with a modified version of the SOURCE engine, explore ZENLIL, a living and highly interactive environment with complete freedom and agency. Includes turbulence and non-scripted decompression events!

• Engage with a cast of over 20 people with an innovative and life like conversation system with over 4,000 lines of fully voiced dialogue. OR... don't engage with them at all and choose to never speak a word!

• Experience an all original orchestral score by award winning composer Jeremy Soule

• Engage in a deep mystery concerning an on-board murder and a large band of mercenaries who seem to want YOU dead.

• Dive into a world with well over 150,000 words of back-story and lore, where everything you read, see, speak, or hear relates to the story and characters, and everything is there for a reason.

• A highly original energy based inventory system with original sci-fi weapons, gadgets and armor.

• The story unfolds based largely on your actions. You may use diplomacy and talk your way through the entire game - never shooting anyone! OR, decide to use deadly or non-lethal force.

• Forge lasting relationships with the crew of ZENLIL, and alter the course of the story through your actions. Your choices will change your play experience, and subsequent playthroughs offer the chance to make different decisions and see all new outcomes.

• Regardless of what you choose to do or not, the experience always moves forward, adapting seamlessly to YOU.

RPS impressions (very positive): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/impressions-consortium-2/

Interview with developers and gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pPCkp7y5so

Steam store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/

Screenshots:

ss_2842cc50e6da775fb428be97cd2707f7e7e5c63b.1920x1080.jpg

ss_44fe43fb05d1af2d008202ef092db5a8803b1a93.1920x1080.jpg

ss_5d52101c47124962537c39f214278f901163a6c2.1920x1080.jpg

ss_6d3a300928759c75bcc7ef9a2531fc0fe9487227.1920x1080.jpg

puzl

Banned
I don't care if they're trying for a retro 3D look, that looks hideous right now.

This.

Rarely have I gone from thread title hype to disappointment as quickly as I did just now. Don't play with my emotions, OP.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Oh my god that art style....but mentioning Deus Ex and System Shock 2....arch......why does it need to look so....terrible?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I was just reading the Steam page for this - it sounds amazing (even if it doesn't look it), but I'll wait to hear some impressions first.

AHA-Lambda

RPS made it sound like more of an adventure game not System Shock or Deus Ex.

Plus I agree on the art style complaints. Nevertheless the game looks interesting.

Dommel

I thought it looked OK until the missile command & FPS segment, those look ridiculous.

Intrigued by the fact you can play it without ever taking out your gun as the trailer said.

Grief.exe

This is a very shallow GAF thread right now.

That is coming off the Titanfall thread last night...maybe I should just check out of GAF for a while.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

That is coming off the Titanfall thread last night...maybe I should just check out of GAF for a while.

Yes, I can't believe what I'm reading. You can literally count games of this genre on one hand... I hope people will give it a chance. I purchased the game and downloading right now. I will give impressions probably tomorrow or later tonight.

Shame people can't give it a crack because it's not pretty enough, the description sounds crazily ambitious and interesting. Always remember that we get the games industry we deserve.

It looks like Reboot…
But without the lovable faces.

Seriously, the outline of info sounded kind of cool sans the whole marketing stuff, but then the screenshots.........

..... I mean, I'd try it, but maybe if I saw some impressions or video of it. I do like the games mentioned but...

Timeaisis

OK, so indie retro is charming, but devs attempt at 3D graphics is crap unless it's AAA quality? What gives, guys?

Concept looks really interesting, especially the considering it's Deus Ex on a plane. Graphics look fine to me. They're not stellar, but I never played Deus Ex (original) for graphics, either.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Guys the game is 17 bucks right now and it's super ambitious! Are you really shitting on graphics?? We need more games like these...

Yes, I'm shitting on the graphics cause it just looks horrible. I'm going to buy it anyway cause the gameplay sounds interesting (I might wait for some videos first) but my god does it look bad.

Edit: Just to clarify: It's not the quality of the graphics that I find horrible, it's the art style. I just think it looks really, really bad

FloatOn

sad to say but the original deus ex and system shock 2 are on my backlog.

after I play those I will certainly grab this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Serra

Im very interested!

But with so many games to play, im waiting for GAF impressions before making my purchasing decision.

Slambot6

Neo Member

Yeah, this seems to be a trend right now.

I can understand criticism of resolutions and FPS, but I think art-styles and aesthetics are more individually tied to mechanics, gameplay, and themes of the game, and don't necessarily warrent immediate panning.

Though first impressions can be paramount for different people.

OK, so indie retro is charming, but devs attempt at 3D graphics is crap unless it's AAA quality? What gives, guys?

Concept looks really interesting, especially the considering it's Deus Ex on a plane. Graphics look fine to me. They're not stellar, but I never played Deus Ex (original) for graphics, either.

Its not about polycount or flashy graphics, I think most people are just put off by the sterile and over saturated look, there is no contrast and the character design looks generic.

Might be a good game though, just wanted to chime in.

wwm0nkey

Art style =/= graphics. also the scan line effect is distracting and might actually make the game look better by removing that.

I dont think the game looks bad at all, they are trying their best with as little as they have.
Looks cool to me, and even if graphics is not its forte they are maybe making the rest of the game as deep and interesting as they can.
Its normal if you dont lile the artstyle, we all have opinions, but I think calling it hideous is such as strong word, for somethhing it doesnt look completly crap.
EDIT:
BTW I know artstyle is not the smae grpahics, but watching the screenshots you can clearly look that the artstyle is in thta way to try to camuflage its ahortcomings in character and scenery models and overal graphics. Yeah, maybe it was not accomplished well but i think the effort is there and knowing they have done what seems a really deep game begind it, who gives a damn. Me not, thats for sure.

puzl

Banned
Yes, I can't believe what I'm reading. You can literally count games of this genre on one hand... I hope people will give it a chance. I purchased the game and downloading right now. I will give impressions probably tomorrow or later tonight.

The reason people love games such as SS2 and DX isn't just because of their fantastic gameplay; they also have some of the most iconic art design, which perfectly compliments it. It's not being shallow to be concerned about an art style negatively affecting the gameplay experience. Just read the Bravely Default thread if you don't believe me.

If a dev/publisher is charging real money for a game, then it will be judged and critiqued like any other. Please don't call me shallow, just because I find the art direction they went with in this game completely hideous.

Grief.exe

The reason people love games such as SS2 and DX isn't just because of their fantastic gameplay; they also have some of the most iconic art design, which perfectly compliments it. It's not being shallow to be concerned about an art style negatively affecting the gameplay experience. Just read the Bravely Default thread if you don't believe me.

If a dev/publisher is charging real money for a game, then it will be judged and critiqued like any other. Please don't call me shallow, just because I find the art direction they went with in this game completely hideous.

But you completely discounted the game immediately solely on the visuals without reading anything about it.

This.

Rarely have I gone from thread title hype to disappointment as quickly as I did just now. Don't play with my emotions, OP.

A synonym for shallow is superficial, which is exactly what you guys are doing.

AHA-Lambda

I'm intrigued by the game and it's definitely got some good impressions so far but it doesn't sound like Deus Ex/SS2 to me.

Consortium has more in common with The Last Express or even a recent Telltale release than Bioware’s space opera, and the stories it tells are both far stranger and far more believable than I’ve come to expect from sci-fi games.

From RPS.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

I guarantee that most people didn't play Deus Ex for the art style. System Shock 2 actually also had that sterile look similar to this game. But anyway, it's your prerogative. I'm not saying you are a shallow person, but refusing to try out a game because the art style doesn't necessarily sit with you is shallow behavior.

Edit: I'm not saying you should buy the game either, just wait for impressions.

puzl

Banned
But you completely discounted the game immediately solely on the visuals without reading anything about it.

I didn't completely discount it. I just said I was disappointed, specifically with how terrible the art direction is in relation to the titles OP compared it with. Please don't put words into my mouth.

wwm0nkey

I think if they went for a style like Enemy Unknown it would work fantastically for this game since they already have similar styles, its mostly some of the environment things that need to be touched on.

As for the art and atmosphere debate. a MASSIVE part of my System Shock 2 experience from last year was due to the art style and general atmosphere of the game. I never played it before last year but it quickly became one of my all time favorites and both art and atmosphere were a part of that.

Top Bottom