• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Deus Ex and System Shock 2? Check out CONSORTIUM!

Card Boy

Banned
This just looks like shit.

image.php

Serra

If you talk to everyone, go through all the holodeck scenarios, and read everything...maybe 5 hours. Maybe 6.

Any significant replay value? Do your actions meaningfully alter the story? (ie is it worth going through again with different choices/playstyle)

Thanks for all the info!

Thread title promises Deus Ex, impressions talk about Telltale games.

That's an infinitely bigger problem here than the graphics that look a bit shit.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Thanks for the stream, looking good so far. I'm really liking the art style as well, some people are nuts. Enjoy your generic poop colored realism for the umpteenth time, I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
Original orchestral soundtrack by Jeremy Soule has me very interested. I really like the Skyrim soundtrack so if nothing else I hope this game gets a soundtrack release too.

Thanks for the stream, looking good so far. I'm really liking the art style as well, some people are nuts. Enjoy your generic poop colored realism for the umpteenth time, I guess.

The guys in the screenshot are literally brown...and they have cargo pants on with bulletproof vests. So original!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Voice acting is surprisingly decent so far. Game's pretty dialogue heavy. Need to hear more of the soundtrack.

The guys in the screenshot are literally brown...and they have cargo pants on with bulletproof vests. So original!

You located the color brown in a game. Congratulations.

epmode

I backed this, GAF. Here's hoping it's worthwhile!

FYI, the game was apparently developed with this quote in mind:

"My ultimate dream is for someone to be foolish enough to give me the money to make what I call the One Block Role-Playing Game, where we simulate one building, one city block perfectly.

-Warren Spector"

lol at the notion that Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are lauded for their art style and not in spite of it

Pretty much. Deus Ex was legit ugly at launch.

(Although System Shock 2 still holds up pretty well. The simple textures and vivid color schemes are great)

Thanks, it looks really interesting and quite ambitious.. Maybe I'll buy it (already wishlisted). My initial impression on the art style was that it seemed kind of quite horrible, but I watched the video on Steam and also watched the screenshots more and I do kinda like the the art style actually. It's still kind of strange maybe, but it's unique (or at least rare) in a way. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to for most people (or maybe it's just not that good but I just I still like it, but even if it wasn't that good I still wouldn't have discounted it anyway).

I do wonder however, if it's really the first one of the supposedly 3 part series and then you get to decide how the story goes. How do the developers handle it (considering it's an indie game)? Or are some decisions more canon than others? Or do they just rely heavily on that the game does well on Steam (so that they'll have the resources to do the sequels)?

It would seem kinda badly optimized too, but that's quite typical for indie games I guess, and that's fine.

Fake edit: Looked up the kickstarter (very fast though) too. Here's the link if anyone's too lazy to look it up themselves:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idgi/consortium-0

You located the color brown in a game. Congratulations.

Now let's talk about those super original character designs like Bulletproof Vest guy and Zero Suit Samus! Such character. And those interiors. I liked Generic Future Room (it has a screen built into the wall!) best.

I mean maybe it gets better later but it doesn't have some sort of unique vision of the future from the screenshots shown. It's boilerplate future trope stuff.

epmode

Now let's talk about those super original character designs like Bulletproof Vest guy and Zero Suit Samus! Such character. And those interiors. I liked Generic Future Room best.

I mean maybe it gets better later but it doesn't have some sort of unique vision of the future from the screenshots shown. It's boilerplate future trope stuff.

You're kind of missing the forest for the trees here. It's a low-budget game (crowdfunded) that focused on tons of dialogue branches and reactive everything.

The title is puzzling. It's supposed to be a interactive / dynamic story adventure game, not something like Deus Ex or SS2 (games that I love, in the other hand).

Think a Telltale game. But with real interactivity and player choices instead of only a few superficial or fake ones.

You're kind of missing the forest for the trees here. It's a low-budget game (crowdfunded) that focused on tons of dialogue branches and reactive everything.

But people commented on the artstyle as being not great and then people started defending it's artstyle so no I'm not. You can certainly say the game focuses more on the mechanics but jsut say that. Don't defend it. I love Alpha Protocol but I'm not gonna defend it like "Hey dude, this game looks fantastic!" It looks servicable but the mechanics are amaing.

I also provided a counter example of a game that looks great and made by only 12 people another indie studio.

Corto

I want this, but the price is a bit higher than I am prepared to give right now. It jumped for the top of my wishlist for the next seasonal sale.

epmode

But people commented on the artstyle as being not great and then people started defending it's artstyle so no I'm not. You can certainly say the game focuses more on the mechanics but jsut say that. Don't defend it. I love Alpha Protocol but I'm not gonna defend it like "Hey dude, this game looks fantastic!" It looks servicable but the mechanics are amaing.

I also provided a counter example of a game that looks great and made by only 12 people another indie studio.

Eh, I just walked into this thread for the first time and I was confused by all of the people complaining about the graphics. The most interesting things about this game are anything but the art!

Please note that Consortium had a crowd-funded budget of $70,000. It is what it is.

Buft

Neo Member
I don't think screenshots do the graphics justice, managed to catch a video of the game in action and it looks a lot better in motion, not the best i've ever seen but not truly horrendous as others seem to think.

Game seems interesting, will give it a look once i've finished with my steam christmas sale list.

The art style looks like something you could get used to, especially if the game's systems are deep enough. It's certainly not the worst art style I've seen a game have, and the worst I've seen still has a notable fanbase because the gameplay is supposedly good (Darksiders).

almost has the same colorin as Jet Set Radio in the 2nd picture

It's looks considerably different. I guess they're close if you take every game in existence into consideration, maybe.

Considering the amount of games I picked up during the winter sale I should hold off but I can't resist. After checking out trailer, screens and the steam game forum this game seems to have real potential.

Buying now

Really wish there was a Linux version of this.

Pretty much. Deus Ex was legit ugly at launch.

(Although System Shock 2 still holds up pretty well. The simple textures and vivid color schemes are great)

It's true, I still like the look of it now but I find it hard to put aside my nostalgia when I play it since it was my personal GOAT until New Vegas and I still play it maybe biannually even though there's nothing left I haven't seen and done in it. I guess I just don't think that it was ever really widely acknowledged as having an "iconic" art style, the hotness graphically when it was being reviewed was q3test so the style was ignored in reviews I read at the time.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The title is puzzling. It's supposed to be a interactive / dynamic story adventure game, not something like Deus Ex or SS2 (games that I love, in the other hand).

Think a Telltale game. But with real interactivity and player choices instead of only a few superficial or fake ones.

It's a first person game with options for combat or dialog, an inventory and choice and consequences. Can you really say it has nothing to do with Deus Ex? Which Telltale game has combat or an inventory for that matter?

Edit: Played the game for 1 hour and 20 minutes, a lot of depth so far. The graphics are much better in-game when maxed out. Voice acting is top notch and the dialog choices cracked me up more than once. This whole time was me just exploring the ship and interacting with different people, with some time spent reading the info console, which has a ton of interesting lore so far.

Simzyy

I brought the game, downloading now. But will probably won't get to play until tomorrow.

The fact it's part of a trilogy is worrying though, as in if I like it but no one buys it that will suck.

Terra_Ex

Watching vocab's stream, this is sort of like being on board the Enterprise with some asshole projected on the screen making demands while the crew look on in shock. Will definitely be picking this up down the line.

Been watching the sream. I'm not sure if this is something i would buy at the price it's asking but watching it has been very enjoyable thus far.

vocab

I kind of like it so far. The voice acting is pretty good. I was messing around with the dialogue system to see what kind of option you can get at the end of the stream. I'm not entirely sure how the inventory system works completely yet. Some times you can take all things, and with the locker I couldn't it was weird.

I will play more later tonight. I'll bump the thread when I do if anyone wants to check it out.

There is some jank I won't lie, but it comes with the territory. I won't let that stop my enjoyment of this game.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The concept sounds really intriguing, but the visuals remind me of some early MMO's like City of Heroes. Very plain and generic.

I'm hoping they'll address that in the future.

In either case, color me intrigued. I'll maybe check it out later on, when I've chipped away at some of my Steam backlog.

Description sounds incredible, I told myself I would hold off on buying any more games but this really sounds like something special.

AHA-Lambda

I knew it! The OP is downright misleading some people then.

Top Bottom