• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s Time for a New Battletoads

flkraven

Now is the time for the Battletoads' cult to rise up and demand a game for the new generation. I know that there are billions of us Battlemaniacs quietly biding our time for the right moment to strike. Well, the time is now! Bring back Rash, Zit, and Pimple. Speak up my Battletoads brethren because we need a new game!

Battletoads-Screenshot.jpg

Battletoads & Double Dragon was one of the best multiplayer experiences I had in the early 90s. It was so easy to pick up and play and it was so much fun walking around smashing people. It was difficult when it needed be, but not so difficult that it was irritating. Just when you got bored bashing people with fists, weapons, and debri, you would suddenly be thrown into a motorcycle/racing/platforming level. At the time, it was the perfect game to play with a buddy. Now that all of our consoles are connected through the internet and we’ve got the ‘infinite power of the cloud’, why have we not gotten a new Battletoads game?

For those that don’t know, Battletoads was a side scrolling beat-em-up from the NES/SNES eras. Rare developed the original games, and to the best of my knowledge, they still own the IP. Although I have fond memories about this game, I have no idea what a new Battletoads would/should look like. Quite frankly, it doesn’t really matter. As long as it can create the same fun feeling, any way they go with it works. Ofcourse its fun to imagine what a new Battletoads could look like? Also, why hasn’t Rare made one yet? Here are some ways they could go:

1. The ‘Traditional’ Option
Rare could keep the formula the exact same. 2D gameplay updated for HD with 3D models. A perfect example of this is a game like Shoot Many Robots. The benefits of this is that it should be easy to make, and wouldn’t require too many resources. Additionally, this would be the 'truest' to the source material and would be the least controversial with the most hardcore Battletoad fanbase. In order to maintain value and replay ability, Rare could include unlock mechanics, upgrades, etc (again, similar to Shoot Many Robots). Imagine how awesome this game would be running on the XB1 looking similar to Killer Instinct.

I can’t imagine that this would be too resource heavy or taxing for Rare to make, since indie studios do the same thing all the time with a handful of people. It could be a short game with replay ability and be a much more affordable, digital only game. If marketed correctly, I could see a game like this doing well!

battletoads-and-double-dragon-the-ultimate-team-04.png

2. Half & Half
Think Super Mario 3D world. Side-scrolling action in the same spirit as the original Battletoads games but periodically opening up into full 3D areas. Again, purest would be largely unshaken by this shift as the mechanic would remain mostly the same.

Battletoads_Screenshot.jpg

3. Full 3D
Although many Battletoads aficionados would balk at the idea of a full 3D game, I genuinely think it could work. With an Arkham-style combat scheme along with three-player online coop, this could be the perfect way to create a 21st century Battletoads experience. The biggest barrier here is the fact that this type of game would require a lot more of Rare’s resources (well, for it to be good), and I highly doubt that they’d be willing to invest that heavily into this IP.

The game I want is #3, but I think the best option for Rare is #1. It has the smallest risk and it would help gauge the popularity of the franchise. But now the big question: Is there a Battletoads on the horizon? I really wish I knew. The last time Battletoads was mentioned out of Microsoft was here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676149&highlight=battletoads
jYy8Lw5.png

Is that a one off comment? Or is it a hint of what’s to come? Let’s not sit around and wait for it. Twitter, Emails, Messagesboards: #BringBackBattletoads. Let’s make it happen Battlemaniacs.

tumblr_m67dv8cbXt1r9cjqxo1_500.gif

andymcc

Banned
there are so many better beat-em-ups than battletoads that are much more deserving of reboots/new installments.

people just love this game because of memes/4chan.

Tenks

there are so many better beat-em-ups than battletoads that are much more deserving of reboots/new installments.

Um I think many people love the game because we grew up on it

Yea, it was a fun, if not infuriating game...but in retrospect, it wasn't very good at all.

I personally wouldn't want another one.

JaggedSac

I was thinking about this the other day and I came to the conclusion that they should do it in a super smooth, super detailed all hand drawn/animated 2D side scrolling beat em up, along the lines of Dragons Dogma(I think that is what it is called). Add some character development stuff, maybe some loot. I think that would be a great game for a relatively small team and modest budget to pull off.

Join the conversation #bigtoadboot

RomanceDawn

I like Battle Toads, but only the first 2 or 3 levels. It was barely a beatem up after a while. I think people are more in love with idea of Battle Toads and not what it really was.

You couldn't be born of this earth if you managed to beat that game.

The great thing about Battletoads is that it's not just a beat-em-up. In fact, the number of pure beat-em-up sections make up a relatively small part of the overall game (speaking of the NES original).

entremet

Never went to 4chan or heard of the memes. Loved the games, though.

Battletoads is very 90s, though. Can't see it making a comeback.

EBE

i know nothing about this series and would much rather have Rare bring back Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Conker, Viva Piñata, or Kameo before working on this.

gibi

Banned
Never went to 4chan or heard of the memes. Loved the games, though.

Battletoads is very 90s, though. Can't see it making a comeback.
I think the new Double Dragon was well-received. I'd love a new Battletoads and Double Dragon.. so much fun and had some cool music.

-Eddman-

If the new Double Helix Strider is good, I would love to see them giving a shot to Battletoads.

If someone from MS is reading this: I would buy a Xbox One for a new Battletoads.

Did anyone actually manage to beat this game or see those insane snake or "wheel" levels? Stuff like that should never ever ever never fornever be brought back into gaming again.

Nah, those levels are great. Just take the Super Meat Boy approach with frequent checkpoints and the frustration level would be dropped drastically.

I hope for a Battletoads character in Season 2 of Killer Instinct. Maybe it would get people excited about the possibility of a Battletoads reboot. A great XBL type game could be made with the franchise for sure. AAA budget game? Not so sure it would be a great idea.

The Flash

Banned
Well MS seems to be more receptive to bringing back old IPs so if you want Battletoads just keep messaging Phil Spencer on Twitter. Same goes for Phantom Dust. If you guys really want these games to be brought back you gotta be vocal about it. If Joe Staten has a Twitter let him know too.

JaggedSac

I hope for a Battletoads character in Season 2 of Killer Instinct. Maybe it would get people excited about the possibility of a Battletoads reboot. A great XBL type game could be made with the franchise for sure. AAA budget game? Not so sure it would be a great idea.

Actually, that would be a great KI character.

leakey

Battletoads was such a product of the 90s. Extreme and full of attitude. I doubt it would fly these days.

If they implement sniper no scopes and is endorsed by Taco Bell and Doritos, it could make it a bad enuf dude to fly.

Stream monsters would be super hype on that.

Goliath

Battletoads would be great if they made it like Double Dragon Neon where it is a 3D side scroller that makes fun of the 90s.

Oh and Rare should sell the rights so I can play it on my PS4, lol.

oSoLucky

I'm much angrier than I was as a kid. If another Battletoads game were to come out, I would feel compelled to try it. I fear for the safety of my controllers.....

RomanceDawn

I would love to see the franchise again with sensible design philosophies behind it. The surf board, speeder bike things are so fun but infuriating. I was too young to really grasp it but just when I thought I beat the hardest part and reached the end, Satan would throw all kinds of crap straight from hell right into my bike.

dvize

Banned
How well did double dragon do? That might be an indicator of how well battle toads will do in the market.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
If there is a Rare IP I want to see back is Conker. But since the creative team behind it left Rare, I don't trust them to make a game as it's predecessor.

And Battletoads was a a badly designed mess. A lot of sections requires memorization (like the racing section) rather than trying to improve your skill.

flkraven

So what do you make of the fact that the game's primary legacy is being regarded as one of the most frustratingly difficult games ever made?

I found Contra to be more difficult/annoying. The SNES Battletoads game with multiplayer was much more relaxed and fun. Perhaps I was having so much of a good time that I didn't realize how difficult the game was. That's how multiplayer games should be.

shuri

Banned
Battletoads was a very popular game when it came out. I remember that me and my friends loved the weird humor of the game with the giant limbs.

If you want to be amazed, check out youtube footage of the arcade Battletoad game. It somehow came out years after the nes game and was incredibly violent (for its time).

It's strange as FUCK but the graphics are really bad-ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv2pu4lYLFc

Blinck

Battletoads was a very popular game when it came out. I remember that me and my friends loved the weird humor of the game with the giant limbs.

If you want to be amazed, check out youtube footage of the arcade Battletoad game. It somehow came out years after the nes game and was incredibly violent (for its time).

Wow that shit is intense....

I mean I have no ideia what I'm looking at.....fucking toads in space fist fighting the face of a ghost while an epic intergalactic battle is happening in the background

I don't know man, but i like it.

Who would write it? The game should explore Zitz finally coming to terms with his childhood in an increasingly complex modern society. Maybe not make Professor T. Bird such an obvious villian- he should have some internal conflict. The world's gone to hell- how does Pimple and the 'Toads survive the cataclysm not only with their lives, but with their Toadality intact?

Arcade Battletoads is the only one I played. I assumed all the games were gory.

flkraven

Who would write it? The game should explore Zitz finally coming to terms with his childhood in an increasingly complex modern society. Maybe not make Professor T. Bird such an obvious villian- he should have some internal conflict. The world's gone to hell- how does Pimple and the 'Toads survive the cataclysm not only with their lives, but with their Toadality intact?

Instead of the Dark Queen, I think the big antagonist should be Proactiv

Top Bottom