• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI Android/iOS impressions thread

Goli

I made this thread for people interested in buying this game or those who already have to share their impressions, since the other threads have evolved into a discussion of the game's art direction only, basically.
master lobo posted this in the other thread, from an imgur user:
http://imgur.com/a/m0iag
Iywgrr3.png

7LGeT1H.png

LCedsyf.png

Y9sXL8I.png

Yz5bRGV.png

GwbwkRW.png

ptmjNIe.png

rN12uzJ.png
More + descriptions at the link.

tbm24

UI is definitely better than in V so far. Terra is also pretty adorable but she has nothing on Faris still. I think the game scales better on my Nexus 7 than V then but I haven't compared the two yet.

I'll settle for the iOS version of my favourite game of all time but I really think S-E is just leaving so much money on the table by neglecting PSN/XBLA releases of these games.

(They even have the trophies/achievements already, I hope it's a sign.)

studyguy

Picked it up on my lunch after going through that thread and getting the urge to play it. Oh well.

Being able to just listen to random tracks anytime right off the bat is pretty great, forgot how nice this soundtrack was.
Rolling on SGIII

Grief.exe

I know you don't want this to devolve into art direction, but the character art there for Terra looks abysmal.

Why didn't they stay with the original character art, like they did with the other characters?

42-34.png

How is the sound quality?

tbm24

I know you don't want this to devolve into art direction, but the character art there for Terra looks abysmal.

Why didn't they stay with the original character art, like they did with the other characters?

42-34.png

Honestly that's what she would look like if that portrait wasn't done on an SNES. So I'm not really not seeing where the issue is with it. All the portraits look really good.

Goli

When's the iOS version out, anyway?
"This winter."
Any confirmation yet on if this has the GBA additions/changes or no?
It includes everything from the GBA version.

42-34.png

Ask the developers!
The art is very similar, not the same, but really close at least.😔
I'll settle for the iOS version of my favourite game of all time but I really think S-E is just leaving so much money on the table by neglecting PSN/XBLA releases of these games.

(They even have the trophies/achievements already, I hope it's a sign.)
The game having achievements isn't really a sign of anything.

erawsd

I wonder if the iOS version won't have the third combat option cut off.

Also, it was a bit jarring at first but I'm starting not to mind the art change.

42-34.png

I think character portraits look just fine o_O

They actually look more like a drawing than a pixel imitation of a drawing.

The SNES one would probably look similar if it had no limitations back in the day.

Jolkien

Did they fixed all the bugs FFVI had ? Magic Defense not working, Celes could not learn confuse with level averaging etc, the list is extensive.

studyguy

Did they fixed all the bugs FFVI had ? Magic Defense not working, Celes could not learn confuse with level averaging etc, the list is extensive.

Just released so, who knows... I'll post some more on it later as well when I get some more downtime. Honestly I'll probably only play it on my commute or on breaks, feels strange to be able to pick up and stop so abruptly on such a long RPG.

Rootbeer

Banned
considering a purchase. Damn, I'd insta buy despite my reservations if only I didn't take issue with the price. FFVI was well worth it when I could play it with a nice gamepad on my SNES back in the day. Can't see myself even completing this new version if I have to use touch-only controls. Can't help it, it bums me out. And still not a gamepad for android/ios I feel is worth buying.

MrDaravon

If it's got the GBA additional content, they're (hopefully) working off that version which fixed most/all of the bugs.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm gonna wait for some folks to get through the game and give the 411 on what's changed from the GBA version before I think about picking this up. I'm wondering about a few glitches that didn't get corrected between the SNES and GBA releases, specifically:

1. Whether they fixed any of the various Rage glitches, from enemies being encounterable on the Veldt but not Rage-able (ProtoArmor), enemies having Rages but being un-encounterable on the Veldt (Siegfried, Chupon/Typhon), or enemies having an acquirable Rage but having that Rage be unusable (Tonberries).

2. Whether they fixed the Stamina glitch, where increasing your Stamina stat actually increases the damage you take from poison instead of decreasing it. They actually fixed most of the stat oddities from the SNES version for the GBA, but this one made it through. This one's just idle curiosity, really, and barely has any impact.

3. If using a Green Cherry on Umaro after he joins your party has any effect. He uses one on himself when you fight him and it gives him a bunch of status effects, and when you use one on him in your party the game actually starts checking to see if it can do the same but then the function to actually grant him the status unceremoniously aborts. I never actually checked this in the GBA version, so I dunno if it still does the same "Oh hey Green Cherry on Umaro I better do someth-- ah, forget it, nobody likes Umaro anyhow" thing that the SNES did.

4. Not actually a glitch, but I wonder if the new UI makes it possible for Cyan to charge his Bushido skills while you issue commands to other characters, or if it locks your ability to issue commands while charging. I hope they did this, because it'd work perfectly with the way they implemented the command menus in battle and Cyan needs all the help he can get, really.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I actually didn't mind the control scheme for these games on my phone so I am keen to grab it.

EdLin

Neo Member
Doesn't work with the Xposed framework installed, which for an Android hacker like me I don't want to remove. So, no buy until Square Enix fixes that.

Flambe

I got to it in Canada (Note 3) by searching 'Final Fantasy' and picking whichever one by Squareenix, then going down to 'More Titles by this Developer' or whatever and there it was.

studyguy

Apparently they don't allow the full name qt3.14Xx420Xx

Don't know what version of the music they're using, but it sounds far better than what I would expect on SNES or GBA remakes. What other platforms was it on for remakes?

You don't have to hit the scroll menu at the bottom to use a skill. Once you have a selection made down there, say I pressed MAGIC last turn, you can just tap anywhere on the screen to bring up the skill list.
Otherwise you can tap an enemy and it just attacks if you leave it on attack. Magic button actually has a multi tab list that separates White/Black/Summons, etc

Playing this on my Galaxy's like 4.25in screen so the sprites look really nice for the dimensions, I have no idea how it'd look for a larger tablet.
The redrawing animations translate pretty well too. Forgot how well animated the game was for the era.

Moogles have some fat cheeks in this, the dance is adorable.

During the defending Terra section, they have a quickswap button on the screen to let you swap what party you're controlling.
Wondered how it would work on mobile.

Bestiary included in the main menu.

Kasumin

I think this character portrait looks good

BeDAPQiCMAA6BwG.png:large

My problem with the new sprites is that they pretty much took the original sprites and up-resed them. You'd expect an increase in detail with an up-res (like FFIV on PSP), but they don't increase the level of detail at all. So the sprites just end up looking very... dull. Not a game breaker by any means, but ugh. As someone who really likes sprites and 2D art styles, this will always bother me.

The enemy art, on the other hand, is superb. At least, going from the screenshots I've seen.

yaesir

Honestly that's what she would look like if that portrait wasn't done on an SNES. So I'm not really not seeing where the issue is with it. All the portraits look really good.

I disagree, on the snes she looks normal, on the new remake she looks like she's about to close her eyes and fall asleep.

bounchfx

wow this looks gross... why do they insist on butchering a games aesthetic every time they remake a classic onto mobile? It's a fucking horrible trend, and yet it keeps happening.

Is there at least an option to enable the 16-bit graphics? Please tell me there's at least an option.

Goli

The person who uploaded those impressions on the OP has continued adding images, some new things:
My god its huge! If you can't execute a blitz on this something is wrong. You are also treated to exploding button feedback when you hit the buttons and you can cancel if you make a mistake. Also your last blitz will be repeated if you use autobattle without having to input it again!
This is a great feature. It automatically chronicles the moments of the game and lets you catch up on things you may have forgotten about if you replay it at a later date.
Ugh, the iOS version needs to come out ASAP! 😭

Top Bottom