• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI Android/iOS impressions thread

Honestly I thought he had the worst of the original portraits. Shame since he's awesome.
Edgar_Roni_Figaro_menu.png

I always thought Edgar's SNES portrait was looking forward and up towards the sky, not behind him. It still looks that way to me, but his Amano illustration definitely sticks the pupil on the left as well.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You'd really have to be blind not to notice that everything is redone and not simply upscaled. It's redone, then upscaled. They probably did that because the target specs for these ports are iPhone 3GS levels of hardware it seems, and if the sprites were of an even higher resolution they wouldn't run well on those devices. At any rate, many of the things like the tiling issues, or the blur around each character has due to upscaling that seem very evident on a computer screen are not so when actually played on a device with a way smaller screen.

But why are the backgrounds sharply pixelated while the character sprites are blurry and soft? Just doesn't make sense. And it's not like it's impossible to create sprites for different target resolutions.

I actually think it sounds more likely that they created the sprites at a certain size at first, and then realized that "oh shit, the sprites are too small", so they just upscaled them a bit. And the result is blurry sprites on sharp backgrounds. Shoddy.

Clearly, yes. You not personally liking something is not the definition of "cutting corners".

I wasn't the one who said that. I just don't understand why, if they went through the trouble of redrawing all the character sprites, they came out looking this shitty.

The thing is, FF6 definitely looks like they refined the art style reworks that they did on FF5... BUT, and it's a big BUT, it still looks like an RPG maker attempt.

The difference is it looks like a GOOD RPG maker fan project versus the crappy one the older ones looked like... The character sprites are by far the worst part, but the rest at least looks fairly cohesive. I'd even consider buying this, if only for my great love of FF6.

It's just hard to justify when I can get some sweet ass Woolsey-isms with an emulated FF3US SNES version.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
This style worked for Final Fantasy Dimensions because everything in the game was bright and smooth like that, not just the character sprites. A game needs visual consistency to not look jarring. It's pretty basic common sense when designing things. How did they mess this up?

Luigi87

My thoughts are... The sprites aren't actually that bad. However they absolutely do not fit in with the environmental tile sets, and thus look out of place and ugly.

Edit: I sat on the post page so lon, SilverArrow said everything I wanted to, lol

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Vague promise of a marginally improved Cyan inspired me.

I am now the proud owner of Final Fantasy 6: Hot Mess Edition.

Ha ha, oh my lord, you know how Terra, Biggs, and Wedge are all just sorta floating disembodied torsos in their Magitek Armor? For their little victory celebration dance their legless trunks levitate out of the suit as they raise their arms. It's like twenty times as noticeable when you're playing as it is when you're just looking at screenshots.

Goli

For those who want to buy the iOS version, according to Famitsu it's coming out in a few days, though they've previously used the same wording for things that have taken long. So, "soon" still.

Dark_castle

Other than the battle backgrounds, the music and sound FX are surprisingly good. They are true to the SNES version. But that's about it regarding the good qualities.

xlRXGA7.png

Was this a newly added feature as well? Memo are always good.

The character portraits are generally well done from what's seen so far. Very true to Amano's drawing. In fact, I think those ARE Amano's design themselves.

Enemies sprites are actually good too, along with parts of the field background.

Goli

xlRXGA7.png

The character portraits are generally well done from what's seen so far. Very true to Amano's drawing. In fact, I think those ARE Amano's design themselves.

Enemies sprites are actually good too, along with parts of the field background.

No way, it's more like they told someone to trace and paint with more solid colors Amano's sketches for the portraits of the original.

Dark_castle

No way, it's more like they told someone to trace and paint with more solid colors Amano's sketches for the portraits of the original.

I don't know. I just see the eyes and felt like it was drawn by Amano.

Besides, I think he was also credited as well in the title screen.

xlRXGA7.png

Based on Amano's art. They aren't the actual art pieces. These are the actual art pieces those pictures are based off of:

Terra_II.jpg

Locke_4.jpg

Ff6_edgar.jpg

Oddly enough, they could've probably used Amano's art, overlay green hair on Terra and tweak Locke's colors and it would've also worked.

Ugh, this looks SO terrible. What did they do to one of my favorite FF games? :( I hateeee how the characters look. Also wtf @ "Espiers"...? Please tell me that is a typo and they didn't change the entire word for the whole game.

Protag

Banned
I honestly dont see what the problem is, imo it looks good, and, this is from someone thats played the PSone version, and loved it.

Square2015

Blasphemy! Well the good news is the Western user base who will experience VI greatness will finally expand to what it deserves. Now a million plus Americans will get to play VI (FFVI SNES just sold 400k in US, 40k Canada; Anthology numbers were similar)

How is the PS1 version on the Vita? I heard there are some rough load times? Does the Disc Load Speed option help at all? Any additions to that version?

Demigod Mac

G0jMP7K.png

Check the enlarged version of that image. So much inconsistency in the resolution of all the objects and UI interface.

It'll probably look fine on a small screen, but how well will this age when resolutions and screen sizes increase?

Hopefully at some point they'll upgrade the sprites like they did in FFT mobile.

Jacobbles

How is the PS1 version on the Vita? I heard there are some rough load times? Does the Disc Load Speed option help at all? Any additions to that version?

It's more or less identical to the SNES version. I'm actually playing through the PS1 version on Vita right now, and while the load times are longer than they should be, they're not a dealbreaker (for me anyway, I've heard some people can't deal with them).

I've tried with the Disc Load Speed set to both options but haven't really noticed a difference.

It's more or less identical to the SNES version. I'm actually playing through the PS1 version on Vita right now, and while the load times are longer than they should be, they're not a dealbreaker (for me anyway, I've heard some people can't deal with them).

I've tried with the Disc Load Speed set to both options but haven't really noticed a difference.

Thanks! I've never been too fickle about load times so i'm sure it'll be fine.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So, since they've combined the Relic equip slots into the main equip menu, that means it's now got to be possible to access Umaro's full equipment menu.

Wonder if he'll be able to use anything else now.

I might pick this up when it hits iOS. It doesn't look anywhere near as visually offensive to me as the "remake" of FFV, at least. The price is a bit steep, though.

TheExodu5

Banned
You can change it to 4 way movement instead of 8 way.

That's good to know.

Besides that, I'm so-so on this version. Random thoughts:

- It doesn't run perfectly on the Nexus 4. There are frame skips and slowdowns.
- Enemy sprites are quite good overall...an improvement over the SNES sprites, generally.
- Character sprites are awful.
- Character art is great.
- The music is pristine.
- Some backgrounds and environment are great. Others, not so much.
- The combat UI, in particular selection of allied party members for restorative spells is a little frustrating.

A very mixed bag, overall.

It really is a shame because the battle scenes and enemies look pretty good.

They just had to fuck up the characters and portraits, of course.

Why, square, why?

I requested a refund when I saw the characters in that imgur album. Just horrible.

After looking at all the screen shots in this thread, I gotta say, it doesn't look that bad. I like the bright colors specifically. 8-way run is kinda neat too. Alas, no matter how it looks, or how it could have looked, or how people wanted it to look, I'm sure there will be always be someone to find fault.

The only thing stopping me from picking it up is knowing that it still played using a phone's touch screen. Maybe if I had one of those cool controller things you slap on phones, then I would bite. Does it support those cool controller things that attach to iPhones?

If this was on PSN for Vita or on PSP as a PSmini I would bite in an instant, just to try this version.

Vespene

• Some portraits are actually pretty good. Terra for example. Others... not so much (Edgar).
  • Glad the music remains largely SNES quality.
  • Sprites are horrible across the board.
  • Monster sprites seem to be SNES sprites put through a photoshop dust & scratches filter. (Go ahead, try it)
  • Combat backgrounds seem pretty decent overall.
  • Sound FX quality greatly diminished. Even the GBA port sounded better.
  • Seems to be a new translation. GBA one still the best translation IMO. (Sorry Ted)
  • You can run diagonally.
  • Blitzing with Sabin is lulz.

In conclusion, worth 3 out of 10 iOS dollars.

WOW, usual bunch of GAF whiners. FF6 is my favorite game of all time, and I find this remake more than acceptable. It feels very fresh. It's good. no regrets here, and i've beat the game about 30 times already.

Crisium

Edgar looks more Dragoon like with the new sprite. Works for me, since that is his ultimate setup with Dragon Boots + Dragon Gloves.

Edgar looks more Dragoon like with the new sprite. Works for me, since that is his ultimate setup with Dragon Boots + Dragon Gloves.

What the hell are Dragon Gloves? I always use Mog as the dragoon though, because Edgar already has reliable damage with Tools and Dance is terrible.

Crisium

Oops, I meant Dragon Horn.

I usually have a different setup for Mog. I am in the sizable minority that likes to make him a Tank Mage. His Magic stat is pretty good, albeit not great like the girls. But he is one of the top 3 characters defensively. Where your other mages fall, he will live. Fight on!

Dragoons spend half of their life in the air anyway. Why waste that defense?

Wazzy

Banned
G0jMP7K.png

Check the enlarged version of that image. So much inconsistency in the resolution of all the objects and UI interface.

It'll probably look fine on a small screen, but how well will this age when resolutions and screen sizes increase?

Hopefully at some point they'll upgrade the sprites like they did in FFT mobile.

My god General Leo is ugly as shit.

Top Bottom