• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor - 8 minute gameplay walkthrough (Batman x AC)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Agree with the Assassin's Creed vibes. I do like the combat animations a bit more than those in AC. Good walk animation too. Wasn't at all interested in a LoTR game but I might pay attention to this one.

nynt9

Looks great. Obvious AC influences, but I'm fine with that. These guys seem to have their mind in the right place. The wraith stuff looks really cool.

Edit: The nemesis/memory mechanic looks great. Love it.

jet1911

This nemesis system looks fucking awesome actually. Wow. Now I want to see how these first encounter with Ratbag and the other big dude plays out. Are they scripted or did the player just failed to kill them the first time? Is this a 2014 game?

ReaperXL7

Day 0, game looks awesome so far in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing the open world aspect. I'm abut concerned about the wraith aspect from a point of lore, but it is what it is.

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy crap that was amazing!

First segment looked like Assassin's Creed but with actual good combat. Also so many cool gameplay elements, and the Nemesis system sounds super promising.

Wow, hype went from 0 to 100 haha. Also the narrator has a badass voice.

I dislike the AssCreed vibes and the horribly obstructive XP system.

The system itself sounds fairly ambitious, but I'm also highly skeptical that it will be as dynamic as promised.

My feel is that there's a set variety of missions + set variety of behaviours depending on the hierarchy of the enemies, and beyond that it's just skin randomisation.

glaurung

This looks... great!

Now if they can deliver on everything I saw in this video, this might be an awesome Creed-style RPG LotR epic!

Acheteedo

Some really cool ideas in this game. I'm sure the nemesis system will feel much more restricted in the final game than it appears here, but it's a great idea and definitely has me interested.

wapplew

Seems like it would be more interesting if it wasnt a LOTR game.

Maybe thats just me though.

I feel the same. LOTR setting restrict a lot of imagination for creature design and overall world look.
We've seen too much of that world, not much surprise left.

ezekial45

Banned
This nemesis system looks fucking awesome actually. Wow. Now I want to see how these first encounter with Ratbag and the other big dude plays out. Are they scripted or did the player just failed to kill them the first time? Is this a 2014 game?
According to the DTOID preview, everything about the enemies are procedurally generated within the zone, and enemies that escape from battle (like the burned war chief) will remember their battle from before.

It sounds like some of the situations are set, but the procedural design will changes things up considerably.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think this looked really fun and if they can deliver on what they show off then that will be very cool. I hope WB gives them the time to get this right.

ReaperXL7

I see more Batman influences then I do Ass Creed tbh, that teleportation move he does while in wraith mode was pretty rad. I hope this makes it this year, but I could see this getting a delay at some point being monoliths first attempt at an open world game.

jet1911

According to the DTOID preview, everything about the enemies are procedurally generated within the zone, and enemies that escape from battle (like the burned war chief) will remember their battle from before.

It sounds like some of the situations are set, but the procedural design will changes things up considerably.

Sounds great. Too bad it's a cross gen game. :(

Famassu

Looks like it takes a bit too much inspiration from Batman: AA/AC both combat and detective-mode wise, but if you're not too bothered by that or the whole "these kinds of things probably aren't in any way canon/possible in the LOTR lore", then it could be a cool little light RPG.

maverick40

Assassins Creed in Middle Earth? Count me the fuck in for sure!

Also get Howard Shore to do the OST and I will buy the cd also.

Top Bottom