• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Review thread

Shari

Did they also blacklist Joystiq, Eurogamer, VideoGamer, Edge, Push Square, GameWatcher, PC Gamer, Impulsegamer, AtomicGamer, PCGamesN and a couple of others because of low scores?

Maybe they didn't, whats ur point? Is it ok to block you if you give a bad rating and you are also a small media?

One image's bulletpoint >>>>> Other reviews to the contrary apparently on GAF. I know people usually just look at scores and use them to justify their own preconceptions but this thread is reaching some new territory.

http://cogconnected.com/review/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://www.gamesradar.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/shadow-of-war-review

http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

https://www.dualshockers.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review/

A little effort should be expected of people beyond using one review as a consensus to validate your opinion. It's fine if you feel that way still, but it's not an accurate portrayal of how this game is actually being reviewed.

faridmon

Yup, this is correct. I used to work on a gaming website (neither big or small in terms of reach) on my country and we pissed off Activision when we gave COD Ghosts a 7/10. They blacklisted us immediately and we never received an invitation or a review copy ever again.

I honestly find this hard to believe considering Ghost received a universal backlash and 7 is actually good compared to other review sites.

You sure you were blacklisted because of that game? Activision released a alot of shit games that year.

Over a 7/10 huh? Classy as always Activision.

I wonder if they have a note sent to all reviewers saying: "less than 9/10 and you're done".

._.

No wonder every COD scores above a 7 on all the sites.
That game received lower than 7. Please refrain from talking under false pretense.

benzopil

Maybe they didn't, whats ur point? Is it ok to block you if you give a bad rating and you are also a small media?
Because it's not only because of scores. Maybe review itself wasn't good. Maybe review didn't generate enough views (happened to my website, but we were able to rebuilt relationship later).

If you are blacklisted, make a big deal out of it. Post on GAF or reddit. Backlash will be big. But I dont know how often publishers do it nowadays, even TheSixthAxis wasn't threatened by 2K.

All this shit locked behind loot boxes and it still gets these high grades from the gaming media? Fuck off already. Not touching this game with a 50-foot pole until I can get it for $10.
I’m pretty sure nothings locked behind lootboxes, it just a bunch of random orcs and weapons which you can get from playing the game anyway.

ezhl6bjpg_zpsee9fd83b.gif

Bad story and shoddy graphics ? No thanks , nemisis system is not that great

I was impressed with the animation work, atmospheric effects and visuals in general in the first title. It can't possibly look bad in the sequel now can it? Also the nemesis system was great in the first title.

Zojirushi

Well fuck, that PC Gamer review calling out my worst fear: Open World busywork.

Jesus devs, y'all need to drop that Ubi formula like, yesterday. Ugh :(

alt27

I was impressed with the animation work, atmospheric effects and visuals in general in the first title. It can't possibly look bad in the sequel now can it? Also the nemesis system was great in the first title.

IGN podcast guys were saying the animations are straight up poor .

Nemisis system is just meh to me . Nothing that great

Zojirushi

First game had busy work. All the duels and stuff. But they are optional

Yeah I know and I'm usually pretty good at just mainlining stuff and ignoring filler but at some point I grow increasingly tired of devs throwing a bunch of stuff at me like yeah here's a ton of things, figure out what's fun.

Maybe this game does it reasonably well but just going by that one review it doesn't sound like it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I honestly find this hard to believe considering Ghost received a universal backlash and 7 is actually good compared to other review sites.

You sure you were blacklisted because of that game? Activision released a alot of shit games that year.

That game received lower than 7. Please refrain from talking under false pretense.

It really wouldn't surprise me too much if this happened. Activision can be really picky with people. I got Ghosts on PC for review and the game was a terrible port and I asked their PR for a copy on Xbox instead so I could actually play it and it turned into a big thing about me not providing a review on time even though it wasn't my fault.

Lucreto

My CE dispatched yesterday and hopefully get it Wednesday.

I am looking forward to it.

Hopefully the OT will be loot crate moaning free.

DrBo42

Wish Shadow of War had the first game's rain and hail effects. At least on X1 those wet surfaces and changed materials on models are gone. At least from what I recall playing this weekend. Snowfall is nice though.

Zophop

I thoroughly enjoyed SoM so I'm really looking forward to more of the same from this. I'd initially planned on getting it for the One X next month but I'm not sure I can hold off until then, do we know the resolution of it on PS4 Pro yet?

Pheace

Anyone know if there's anything unique about the Nemesis Forge orcs you can transfer to War or are they mostly just self selected orcs? Don't have an old save and wondering if it's worth spending my evening on the forge or just going with what I get in the second game.

i kinda regretted getting sucked in to the "loot box" hysteria and negativity and Bundle Stars mailed out "last chance" for 30% off voucher so I re-ordered the Gold edition. >_>

Tovarisc

So do we have any confirmation on how bad the "grind" really is for the true ending?

Nothing definitive yet.

Few reviews say its baaad, few reviewers say it really isn't that bad. Give it few days for me definitive answers if on the fence about the game.

Zukkoyaki

Whoa, never seen a score lower than 4/5 from these dudes.
Yakuza Kiwami got 3.5
Yooka-Laylee got 3
Agents of Mayhem got 3

But yeah, they're pretty easy (eh!) reviewers. But I'd imagine part of that is because they typically only review larger games.

Top Bottom