• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War: First Gameplay Video

Akronis

The combat looked meh, but everything Nemesis related was super impressive. We'll probably get it down the line.

Combat wasn't even shown. He was just executing everything, which typically requires a combo score before you can execute.

They had debug/dev mode on for demonstration purposes.

Combat wasn't even shown. He was just executing everything, which typically requires a combo score before you can execute.

Yeah, that was an interesting choice to go 100% executions god-mode throughout, but we got to see a lot of power moves out of it, with the mid-air slow-mo bow action being the most impressive.

Akronis

Yeah, that was an interesting choice to go 100% executions god-mode throughout, but we got to see a lot of power moves out of it, with the mid-air slow-mo bow action being the most impressive.

I'm guessing animations for normal combat are super unpolished or something or it's just straight broken right now lol

I am picking up what this trailer is putting down, that's for sure. Might be a day one if it continues to look this good gameplay-wise.

Man if the combat's once again lifted straight out of the Arkham games I'm passing on this no matter how much better they tuned the Nemesis system.

It looks like they've enabled one hit finishers. Henry it takes a chain of combo of 7 or more.
Yeah, in the previous game at max, with legendary abilities unlocked, at most you got a 20 second window of unlimited executions after charging up the ability.

This demo was pure godmode at full power. But that did keeps things moving quickly, and there was a lot of ground to cover.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Ohhh, that explains a lot. I thought it was weird he beat the whole thing in 3 minutes when they spent so much talking about the various units and their abilities/fears/immunities...

I didnt expect to be this excited about this game after feeling kinda "meh" on the original but wow...pretty good demo. The animation looks fantastic and it really looks like they are creating something new.

Tinúviel;231712444 said:
Well what i'm going to say is almost completely against the idea of SoW,SoM but i wish we could have a men or elf army at least time to time.Seeing these cool mechanics i don't want to see just orcs.Imagine having a Rohan army conquering places fighting against Uruks or having a Dwarf army or Gondor etc.

I think one of the reasons this all works so well with orcs instead of men is because we can excuse dumb AI this way. If it was a battle involving men we'd expect battle formations, but with orcs it's fine if everything is kind of a chaotic mess. Let's them focus more on the nemesis concept which really is amazing and needs to be shamelessly stolen by other devs. WB Games would be flattered I'm sure.

I think one of the reasons this all works so well with orcs instead of men is because we can excuse dumb AI this way. If it was a battle involving men we'd expect battle formations, but with orcs it's fine if everything is kind of a chaotic mess. Let's them focus more on the nemesis concept which really is amazing and needs to be shamelessly stolen by other devs. WB Games would be flattered I'm sure.
And you're pretty much a bad guy in this series, specifically using the dark powers against Mordor to get your full bloody murder on. That makes more sense with Orcs and beasts for the most part.

6PxjpmL.jpg

kaskade

Looks insane, almost overwhelming. Whenever I see videos like these I wonder how the game will feel in practice with everything going on. Like what would've happened if he didn't have the orc come in an attack the Overlord? Or if the archer wasn't there? Would it have just been a QTE or something? I guess that's where all the different new elements of the nemesis system comes in.

Looks cool, but the combat still looks pretty dull. I wasn't a fan of how fast you got OP as hell in the first and it didn't help that the combat felt like a more barebones (although gorier) version of the batman combat, which i'm not the biggest fan of in the first place.

Is not my type of game but lets acknowledge that the Nemesis System moves the industry forward with new great gameplay ideas.

wink wink Ubi

dreamfall

I finally sat down to watch the gameplay trailer and the Nemesis 2.0 system has me SHOOK. How did they manage all that dynamic promotion of chiefs you conquered and branded? Homies coming into play during boss battles based on how you upgraded your War party?! My jaw was on the floor! I loved how unique Shadows of Mordor felt in terms of the system being individualized for how you played - THIS WAS ON ANOTHER LEVEL:

And I don't even particularly care for anything LotR, but goodness I was pretty blown away!

El-Suave

Looks good overall, but there seems to be zero improvements on the AC climbing and the standard combat. Also they didn't exactly go out of their way to show that this game isn't going to be set in the 99 shades of brown color palette.

LoudCore

Neo Member
It's annoying that in the video they showed nothing but finishers for the combat, I'm sure it was to make the combat be shown faster. the player was god mode and killed that boss in like 2 hits.

If you haven't played the first game, realize the combat system is actually pretty decent and indepth enough to keep your interest throughout the game. It shows theyve expanded upon it a bit - just hoping to see more finisher animations.

This video might have been scripted but the final game will probably be just as open ended as the first one.

ryseing

They are ghost arrows. They're infinite.

Arrows depleted in the first game. Not sure why that would chance in the final product of the sequel.

They were using Shadowshot a ton in this demo which cost two arrows, hence the unlimited arrows being on in this demo.

MAN FILTH! This game is looking so damn good! Bow down to your new overlord! Such a true upgrade to the original and not a copy/paste.

That and "Gravewalker!" always brought a smile to my face. You knew shit was about to go down.

It's crazy to see third parties getting involved with this. Cool, though, assuming Microsoft eventually get their shit together with the windows store

e: i meant to post this in the play anywhere thread

butman

Oh god I hate when you fight multiples enemies, you fight with one and the others look at the fight until you make a kill or change the target.
At the end basically you fight one enemy

The Ninja Theory game is the same story.

teokrazia

Emphasis on cut-scenes during gameplay in this series is legit, since basically the author is you.
If they are smart, BTW, they will include an option to limit/turn them off .

Foxxsoxx

Am I the only one that sees the 'dynamic' parts of this and immediately looks like it is heavily scripted.

I can't tell if it is for demo purposes or not but I wasn't feeling this at all. I would love to see a video without god mode and actually using the mechanics instead of constantly taking control away and instant KOs.

It looks fun to play, but the fight between AI entities looked pretty silly. Those three orcs fighting the troll before the main character goes into the overlord's chamber were just basically idling.

Still, my interest is piqued. I haven't played the first one (and probably won't unless it's free on PS+) but I might add this to the wishlist to buy when it drops in price.

Also, can you actually command your armies (or your warchiefs) to do stuff while in gameplay, or will they just keep "pushing forward"? I didn't notice anything like that in the video but when the guy in the warg jumped into the fight at the end I'm assuming that wasn't caused by the player, right? Seemed more like a scripted moment and I assume the AI character that plays support is randomly picked from the pool of available friendlies at the moment.

DrBo42

It looks fun to play, but the fight between AI entities looked pretty silly. Those three orcs fighting the troll before the main character goes into the overlord's chamber were just basically idling.

Still, my interest is piqued. I haven't played the first one (and probably won't unless it's free on PS+) but I might add this to the wishlist to buy when it drops in price.

Also, can you actually command your armies (or your warchiefs) to do stuff while in gameplay, or will they just keep "pushing forward"? I didn't notice anything like that in the video but when the guy in the warg jumped into the fight at the end I'm assuming that wasn't caused by the player, right? Seemed more like a scripted moment and I assume the AI character that plays support is randomly picked from the pool of available friendlies at the moment.

Nemesis interactions are RNG and depend upon a number of factors. Like in the first game attacking a warchief and killing them gives them a certain % to come back in a later mission. While decapitating them makes it impossible to return or almost impossible.

taoofjord

Really enjoyed the first game but this trailer was a huge turn off. The nemesis stuff shown results in scripted cutscenes instead of any of it truly happening ile you're playing. It just feels like it'll be "here's the 10 cutscenes for each character type/loyalty level".

Also, the tone is so hyper violent and macho that it's embarrassing and certainly nothing like the source material.

ThEoRy...

Flamethrowers and dragons in Middle Earth?

OMG.
To be fair, there are dragons in Middle Earth as Smaug was in The Hobbit. In Fellowship it was said they haven't been seen in a long time though. This game throws cannon out the window as they've taken many liberties but dragons were a part of Middle Earth at one time.

Raptor

Straub: Absolutely, yes. We have a whole host of new characters that you're going to be able to interact with. One of the most exciting things when we talk about Shadow of War versus of Shadow of Mordor—why is it called Shadow of War? Well, one reason is because we're not just in Mordor anymore. We're going to the last human city in Gondor in this time period. Even just the idea that we're going to a city—we'll actually be playing in this massive city. That's quite a level up compared to Shadow of Mordor.

Gondor confirmed baby!!

http://venturebeat.com/2017/03/08/s...st-how-big-the-new-middle-earth-game-will-be/

Osgiliath right?'

Massive city, should be great.

RexNovis

Banned
Graphically speaking it looks quite bad but the the interlinking systems in play here are really impressive and the gameplay looks really fun. Looking forward to it.

Was kind of ho hum about this, but after watching that they're going all out on this one. I don't know if I'm day one, but I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Top Bottom