• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War: First Gameplay Video

UrbanRats

source.gif

This is WB right? I need a GORO version of that.

Astral

I'm not completely sold. Having allies looks cool and hopefully gives it an XCOM. Permadeath and all that good stuff. I'm just not convince most of that wasn't scripted.

a916

The facial animation on that Overlord, holy crap that's beautiful. The way his teeth are exposed in that huge grin.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Holy shit.

The Rohan armor, riding the drake and then the Fire-Lord being Welsh?

Most anticipated game of 2017 for me

Skux

Fuck yes. This everything I want out of a sequel.

Nemesis system applying to allies as well is going to make such a big difference.

Nokterian

They really expanded on everything, the first one was cool..the nemesis system is one of the most innovative systems i ever saw. Now there expanding it in something even better, i can't wait to play this.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm not completely sold. Having allies looks cool and hopefully gives it an XCOM. Permadeath and all that good stuff. I'm just not convince most of that wasn't scripted.

Some of it will have been, but a lot of what happened can occur in the first game too

Ramenman

This is so great ! so glad they're expanding on the first game's strengths.
I hope fort attacks are one thing though, and not the only thing the game does. (I'd still like to have times where I'm not with my whole army, and in some more open maps similar to mordor 1).
I'm guessings this is still in there and they just couldn't show everything in one go so they focused on the new aspect.

I am because I played Mordor 1 and this wasn't this far off, just a (big) new step in the same direction and expanding upon it.

Also, it looks super condensed to fit all those things in 16 minutes (it's like he doesn't even spend more than 20 seconds in a row with each gameplay mechanic : P), but aside from that, the dynamic storytelling, although impressive, looks right up the alley of the guys who made Mordor 1. (which is another testament to how crazy well they managed to implement such a new thing on their first game)

gameplay wise with the mc is pretty much the same
its just adding a more passive army to help you invade fortresses
or at least that's the impression im getting

kind of like clash of clans just you're controlling one character instead of actively deploying soldiers to attack certain areas

AAH here we go WB loot

seems cool though

Cartho

raw

Sold. Looks utterly awesome.

I like how in the first game you were basically a dude with some wraith powers and now it seems like you're just going full on wraith infused badass. He started off as a good guy, hell bent on revenge, but now his power has grown to the point where he is enjoying it and embracing what he has become.

xviper

the combat is as good as the first one, the execution are awesome but felt kinda too fast

the graphics is worse than the first one, i know this is an "Alpha" but the final product would probably still look the same, doesn't matter much to me as long as the game is good

the biggest problem i noticed is that the game still is all about killing high ranked enemies, the first one was very repetitive and from the looks of this gameplay video, the sequel looks as repetitive as the first game

Basketball

Will buy later down the line

Still looks insanely easy with the epic buttons combat. And the Ghost practically does everything for you even more.

Tinúviel

Well what i'm going to say is almost completely against the idea of SoW,SoM but i wish we could have a men or elf army at least time to time.Seeing these cool mechanics i don't want to see just orcs.Imagine having a Rohan army conquering places fighting against Uruks or having a Dwarf army or Gondor etc.

Stiler

It looks like it'll be fun, but you can already see the "gameplay loop" in this and I think like the previous game it's going to end up being quite a repetitive game doing the same thing over and over and over.

I wish they'd focus more on variety of gameplay and story elements instead of having you do a checklist of things that repeats itself.

I can tell I'm getting old because my immediate reaction to the combat was, "does there really have to be so much dismemberment?"

Maybe a minority opinion, but I really didn't like the second half of the first game because of the focus on recruiting other people and having them fight for you. I want to murder folk and feel badass doing it, and builind a squad of people who do it for you while you sit back and watch really removed a lot of the interactivity.

I could just ignore it in the first game, but if there's more of a focus on that stuff in this game then I'll probably give it a miss or wait until it's heavily discounted.

How can anyone play any game normally after shadows of mordor? it's the only game out there that makes basic enemies into epic battles, creates storys with basic grunt battles who defeated you on the battlefield...there is like so much dynamic things going on it's probably going to make it impossible to jump into a game and fight basic enemies lingering back and forth around camp fires or small towns...that don't progress even if they defeat you.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man these system look so fun to tinker with but goddammit. Like with the first game I really don't like the LotR backdrop to the point I would enjoy the very same game more if it was just a reskin into something else.
In a season like this it's a reason enough for me to just skip it.
Still a little dream of mine would be taking some of these systems and putting it into a FE style tactics game.

KooopaKid

Banned
It looks like it'll be fun, but you can already see the "gameplay loop" in this and I think like the previous game it's going to end up being quite a repetitive game doing the same thing over and over and over.

I wish they'd focus more on variety of gameplay and story elements instead of having you do a checklist of things that repeats itself.

Same for me. It also looks you will be nearly invincible like in most AAA games. The stakes won't be really there. A shame about the Mordor and grim look. Too much testosterone lol

Man it'd be nice if these guys did a starwars game or a berserk game with a nemesis system

Actually i wonder what other games would fit the "nemesis" system if they ever stop lord of the ring games.

Err, did I see a different trailer?

2 minutes of cutscene to show a badass adversary. He dies in 10 seconds and in the most ridiculous way.

What was the point?

A "gameplay" video that is 99% made of scripted events with no player input?

eshwaaz

Maybe a minority opinion, but I really didn't like the second half of the first game because of the focus on recruiting other people and having them fight for you. I want to murder folk and feel badass doing it, and builind a squad of people who do it for you while you sit back and watch really removed a lot of the interactivity.

I could just ignore it in the first game, but if there's more of a focus on that stuff in this game then I'll probably give it a miss or wait until it's heavily discounted.
I'm not quite as put off as you, but I can definitely relate. I don't want to get bogged down in managing troops.

Still interested, but need to know more.

The music was the only thing I wasn't feeling.

The emotion and heart pumping aspect of Howard Shores score was not sensed here. This seemed like elevator battle music.

Unlike this. It's one of the most bad ass things I've ever heard.

Graphics are meh, want some greenery please.

And that one Orc acting like the joker feels so out of character.

I wish the game would add other RPG elements, Id like to even talk or get to know my army men and do side quests that aren't all combat related, but I guess thats asking for a different game.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Graphics are meh, want some greenery please.

And that one Orc acting like the joker feels so out of character.

I wish the game would add other RPG elements, Id like to even talk or get to know my army men and do side quests that aren't all combat related, but I guess thats asking for a different game.

That`s because the game also have to function on XBO and PS4. Not only PS4 and Xbox Scorpio. There are way more enemies on screen in this game compared to Shadow of Mordor, and also more effects.

Loved what I saw. I really enjoyed the first game as well. I like the fact that we have to take and hold many locations around that map.

More RPG elements like armor always get me excited as well. Did they say anything about usin different weapons? That be nice.

Now should I get this on launch or wait for Scorpio to release?

This looks fucking insane.

Absolutely in.

Visuals seem on par with the last game in most respects, but the scale and complexity has definitely been ratcheted up big time. That's a fine trade-off in my book.

Top Bottom