• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK 2013: Microsoft Leads, Sony Surges, Nintendo Fades

jvm

Gamasutra.
As I've done several other times this year, I've put together the latest estimates for software sales figures for UK retail, as broken down by platform. These come from official figures published in the UK trade press.

I have a column up over at Gamasutra with the main figures and some commentary. Click over, won't you?

Here's the main graph about full-year 2013 software units:
software-figures-by-units.png

And some commentary:
The Xbox 360 was clearly the top platform for the year, with 13 million units of software sold at retail. The PlayStation 3 came in second, with sales of around 9.5 million units. At around 1.6 million units of software, the original Wii was the third best-selling console of 2013.

That figure for the Wii was more than twice what the new Nintendo Wii U managed in the past 12 months. In fact, along with the PlayStation Vita, the Wii U was the only system on the market this past year that did not manage to break the 1 million unit barrier at retail.

The new Xbox One and PlayStation 4, despite being on the market for a very brief time during November and December 2013, each broke that barrier. The PlayStation 4 moved around 1.3 million units of software to around 530,000 new system owners, for a tie ratio of around 2.5 games per system. The Xbox One reportedly sold 364,000 systems in the UK during 2013, and retailers shifted just over 1 million units of software. As I expected, the Xbox One had a higher tie ratio, around 2.8 games per system.

I also have some marketshare graphs that show just where Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo stood relative to each other in terms of both units and revenue for the full year.

Not included in the original article is the full-year table of data. I've got that for you too, number-junkies. Here you go:
mZ5cYDi.png

j53B3Fl.png

Have fun.

Skeff

The worst news here is about the Wii absolutely battering the Wii U, Very disapointing for Nintendo, though I can't say we haven't seen this news coming it just looks bad as an end of year report.

Bgamer90

Banned
Goodness. The fact that the Xbox One and PS4 have past the Wii U in 2013 software sales even though those two systems were only out for not even two months is a big sign for many companies to not waste money making games for the Wii U.

Griss

Not surprising that the Wii U is dead, as it was dead on arrival in europe. Anyone who lives over here pretty much realised that at launch.

What surprises me is the amount of software the Wii is still able to push.

And considering a lot of Vita owners buy digitally or get games through PS+, I wouldn't be surprised if Vitas in the UK saw far more playtime than Wii Us this year.

The other thing that jumps out is how poor 3DS software sales are for the highest selling console of the year. It's like parents are buying them and only buying a game at launch and another on birthdays / Christmas or something. I bought 10+ 3DS games at retail this year, so I did my part to bring the average up. But it's a disturbing number.

zainetor

Banned
Wow, I didn't know regular wii sold so badly in the UK.
It's like uk is for nintendo what japan is for microsoft.

Mikey Jr.

My God, those software sales for the WiiU are garbage-tier.

No wonder WiiU isn't getting any third party games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit. Wii beating the Wii U, and the PS4/XB1 both passing the headstart it had in such a short time.

mZ5cYDi.png

Wii U - 2012 Unit Sales - 219K
Wii U - 2013 Unit Sales - 717K (284K in December)

Wii U - LTD Unit Sales - 936K

XBO - LTD Unit Sales - 1014K

PS4 - LTD Unit Sales - 1332K

Griss

0V7hNwP.png

What really worries me is this: This chart shows Nintendo's share of the console revenue pie in the UK. It's not good. But we just had the best year of 3DS software we've ever had and there's no sign of a successor. On the other hand, the Wii U is primed to slip away entirely this year. It's not going to get better. If a successor to their handheld doesn't launch until late 2015, then 2015 will be even worse.

Just how bad is this chart going to look for Nintendo in 2014 and 2015? Single figures? They'd be damn near approaching irrelevance if it came to that. As we've repeated ad nauseam for the last two weeks - they really are in a tough spot.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Wii U - 2012 Unit Sales: 219K
Wii U - 2013 Unit Sales - 717K (284K in December)

And 54% of Wii U software sales were December 2012 and December 2013. The other 46% of its sales were smeared out over the intervening 11 months...

Bgamer90

Banned
0V7hNwP.png

What really worries me is this: This chart shows Nintendo's share of the console revenue pie in the UK. It's not good. But we just had the best year of 3DS software we've ever had and there's no sign of a successor. On the other hand, the Wii U is primed to slip away entirely this year. It's not going to get better. If a successor to their handheld doesn't launch until late 2015, then 2015 will be even worse.

Just how bad is this chart going to look for Nintendo in 2014 and 2015? Single figures? They'd be damn near approaching irrelevance if it came to that. As we've repeated ad nauseam for the last two weeks - they really are in a tough spot.

To be honest, I would be surprised if Nintendo passes 10% in the UK for this year (2014) at this point.

Griss

Wii U (12 months): 717K
Xbone (5 weeks): 1.01M
PS4 (4 weeks): 1.33M

Damn.

Understandable due to PS4 and XB1 having their launch frenzies, while Wii U had already launched. The figures look worse when you bring the Wii U's launch into it for a fair comparison as Aquamarine did above:

Even with launch Wii U has already been passed by even the XB1 in unit sales of software. Disastrous.

Biker19

Banned
Wow @ Wii U. Everybody has outsold it, both PS4 & Xbox One have outsold Wii U's LTD in a short amount of time; Even it's own predecessor (Wii) has outsold it. And the software sales for 3DS are declining.

That's embarrassing for Nintendo.

Griss

And 54% of Wii U software sales were December 2012 and December 2013. The other 46% of its sales were smeared out over the intervening 11 months...

If for the majority of the year Wii U software is just sitting on shelves taking up space, how long are retailers going to be okay with that? I feel like I've been asking this question (rhetorically, I suppose) for months, but at what stage does the first big retailer pull the system? They can always set up a mini-display of Wii U games in December if they want to - that's the only time that there's money to be made.

Road

Adding all software units in the table we reach 34.3m, which leaves ~200k for PSP, PS2 etc. (34.5m was the total software). Another 0.6% for Sony in market share. =P

Wish we had the breakdown for 2012.

Just wanna thanks for all the info you compiled and shared this past year. (And thanks to MCV and, especially, Ukie/Gfk Chart-Track for not throwing a hissy-fit just because some minimal information is published...)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Adding all software units in the table we reach 34.3m, which leaves ~200k for PSP, PS2 etc. (34.5m was the total software). Another 0.6% for Sony in market share. =P
Given the small errors that accumulate throughout the year, I'm uncomfortable saying that much. Not only small reporting errors (percentages and units and revenue, from time to time) but also just rounding errors. I'm happy with the broad picture I've given. :)

And, you're welcome. I'm happy to keep tabulating and sharing. It certainly has helped take some of the sting out of the rarity of information we have today about the U.S. market. :(

I-hate-u

0V7hNwP.png

Absolutely true. Its going to be very hard for Nintendo to outdo their 3DS lineup last year so having such a small percentage of sales in 2013 is a horrible sign for them going forward.

AzaK

Absolutely true. Its going to be very hard for Nintendo to outdo their 3DS lineup last year so having such a small percentage of sales in 2013 is a horrible sign for them going forward.

That share of the market won't bother Nintendo if they are profitable (Which they're not of course)

I blame uk gaming tastes, add wii u myriad of problems and lack of games and nintendo cant do anything in the UK .

They should call back all the wii u units from there and just market the 3ds .

Nintendo's reduced revenue share for software is a direct result of their bonehead reluctance to drop prices. £30 for a handheld game is simply poor value, especially ones years old.

Instead of 3DS owners having a large and varied library, they by 3 or 4 surefire hits and call it a day.

Nintendo still think that they can dictate to the market a fixed price of software. The UK is by far the worst place to have this attitude.

Bruno MB

Thank you very much for sharing these interesting sales data.

UK - 3DS total software sales in 2013 = 2,476,000 units.
Japan - Pokémon X / Y in its first 9 days of sales = 2,687,000 units

Anyway, I'm not surprised at all by the low software sales figures. 3DS is basically performing like every portable console not called Nintendo DS.

Europe: (software tie ratio)

Game Boy - 3.64
Game Boy Advance - 3.80
3DS - 3.40

Nintendo DS - 5.44

boingball

Meanwhile, Sony has had to fight bitterly for each and every sale, as they've toiled under their higher base price, less robust online services, and an image of having the lesser version for most cross-platform titles.

The playfield is now far more level between the two heading into this generation.

This sounds strange. In fact, the market has flipped. MS will have to fight with much lesser versions of cross-platform titles...

Also interesting conclusion that the Vita will become irrelevant this year. Could very well happen. Much more likely than it becoming suddenly a must have item because of PS4 remote play or Gaikai (PS Now). But the article states it as a fact whereas the Wii U is a question mark. That seems a little bit unfair. In Japan it looks like the Vita might have found life, whereas the Wii U is dropping off there.

Finalizer

Probably not a terribly surprising revelation, but I'm still tickled that the PS4 moved more hardware units in under two months than the Vita in retail software throughout the entire year.

valeo

This sounds strange. In fact, the market has flipped. MS will have to fight with much lesser versions of cross-platform titles...

Aren't they referring to the fact that last gen Sony were behind because of this reason but now have caught up/surpassed Microsoft in that respect? They're right, too. Last gen most Xbox cross-plat games were quite noticeably better.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Aren't they referring to the fact that last gen Sony were behind because of this reason but now have caught up/surpassed Microsoft in that respect? They're right, too. Last gen most Xbox cross-plat games were quite noticeably better.
Yes, I was referring to last-gen PS3/Xbox 360 and that things have flipped, but it is not necessarily as lop-sided as it had been before. I do think that MS has the resources and partnerships to try to keep it even. We'll see. As others have noted in sales-age threads, it will be these first few months of 2014 that will give an indication how things are going to shake out.

I added PS3 to a sentence in the column to eliminate confusion if there were any.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Those Wii U software numbers....

And thats probably mostly Mario and Zelda. Imagine what 3rd parties are doing.
The third parties are the 1%.

I wish I were joking. :(

Edit: I should be clear, I think third parties are doing tiny numbers. I don't have evidence that it's precisely 1%. Just very, very small. Just see the recent exchange in the NPD thread about CoD sales.

Top Bottom