• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK 2013: Microsoft Leads, Sony Surges, Nintendo Fades

Genuine question here
"As I expected, the Xbox One had a higher tie ratio, around 2.8 games per system."

Why would you expect a higher attach rate for Xbox One? Obviously the figures say that there is a higher attach rate, but why would you expect that to be the case? Is it that historically owners of Xbox consoles have bought more games?

The OG Xbox and 360 had basically the highest attach rate in the industry, so it's a pretty safe assumption.

The games they have in the Vita section are mostly shite at places like GAME, it's much easier to get what you're looking for digitally.

WiiU doesn't have that excuse really.

Thing is I wouldn't say the UK is a particuarly hard market for Nintendo, the 3DS is quite popular here, so was the Wii.

Obvious remark, I take it in the pie charts PC is excluded.

Wow, I didn't know regular wii sold so badly in the UK.
It's like uk is for nintendo what japan is for microsoft.
This is 2013. What even came out on the Wii? Stores have loads of cheaper used stock of Wii goods too. Part of me wants to compare the 2003 PS1 to the Wii as it is a similar epoch (for UK), I have a gut feeling the PS1 was flying a bit higher but don't know if there are numbers to back this.

Nintendo's reduced revenue share for software is a direct result of their bonehead reluctance to drop prices. £30 for a handheld game is simply poor value, especially ones years old.
£30? If only 3DS games were that, it would help massively. They are £40! Its sad how my standards have dropped from £24.99 being the day one good deal to struggling to find a £29.99 good deal.

But then again would lower prices really improve things form their perspective.
Europe: (software tie ratio)

Game Boy - 3.64
Game Boy Advance - 3.80
3DS - 3.40
Game Boy games were £25 and the system was out for a huge period of time yet only gets that tie ratio.

That said I personally think they need to sort of software costs on the 3DS and possibly Wii U. Wii U is a problem as a small install base you needs as much from each person as you can get but the £50 games are off putting* to the point of driving system sales away. It is utterly baffling how on the DS they had a successful £20 line of games then no equivalent on 3DS. Well if Brain Training ever came out it probably would be £20.

*-Especially when Wind Waker HD is at that price point, I paid £40 at launch (could have easily paid £30 if I chose to use an online retailer instead) for the Gamecube version a decade ago and got Ocarina of time for free. It doesn't help how Nintendo has admitted is WWHD has 6 months of development time and was a bit of test for them.

£30? If only 3DS games were that, it would help massively. They are £40! Its sad how my standards have dropped from £24.99 being the day one good deal to struggling to find a £29.99 good deal.

But then again would lower prices really improve things form their perspective.

I dont mind high prices in the first month or so, after all a game must cover the cost of its budget. But Nintendo refuse to allow their games to drop in price and must dictate in their terms of sale that games kept at a certain price. Its nonsense in a post iPhone world and honestly made sense when Nintendo had a Monopoly.

Its also ridiculous that their games have a direct $1 - £1 conversion on handhelds.

The only people to blame for the 3DS revenue share is Nintendo themselves.

I am shocked that in a country of ~65 million people there were >22 million software sales for 8 year old consoles last year.

No wonder Sony and Microsoft don't want to drop the price.

Top Bottom