• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK 2013: Microsoft Leads, Sony Surges, Nintendo Fades

mZ5cYDi.png

Wii U - 2012 Unit Sales - 219K
Wii U - 2013 Unit Sales - 717K (284K in December)

Wii U - LTD Unit Sales - 936K

XBO - LTD Unit Sales - 1014K

PS4 - LTD Unit Sales - 1332K
Absolutely ghastly

dolemite

If we break the Dec. sales into weekly units, the PS4 actually started outselling the PS3 software by the end of the month.

foamdino

Genuine question here
"As I expected, the Xbox One had a higher tie ratio, around 2.8 games per system."

Why would you expect a higher attach rate for Xbox One? Obviously the figures say that there is a higher attach rate, but why would you expect that to be the case? Is it that historically owners of Xbox consoles have bought more games?

I knew Nintendo had problems, but I figured that they could coast for quite a while based on the Wii's initial success and money. Now I am starting to realize that Nintendo has a real problem...right now. Assuming that they produced the 9 million consoles that they said they would sell this fiscal year, with the revised estimate of only 2.8 million to actually be sold that means that Nintendo will have 6.8 million consoles sitting around at the end of the fiscal year. To put that another way, if Nintendo is able to sell 2.8 million consoles a year going forward it will take 2.2 more years just to sell off the consoles that they had already made.

That fact significantly ties Nintendo's hands. They can't make a new redesigned system because they still have to sell off the stock of the current version. Even more important is that Nintendo has to decide if they want to continue to make more Wii Us. They are going to have to decide real soon if they want to internally kill the Wii U.

Based on these assumptions I am guessing that Nintendo will drastically reduce the Wii U's price. Yes they will lose money on every unit sold, but they'll lose even more money if they don't sell them at all. They also have to realize that the low hardware install base is dragging down their software sales.

I predict that Nintendo will privately kill the Wii U internally and move on to something new. They'll do their best to sell their backlog of consoles and games already in development, but that will be it. It takes at least 2 years to make a quality AAA game. Trying to sell such a game on the Wii U in 2016 would bring nothing but frustration.

Genuine question here
"As I expected, the Xbox One had a higher tie ratio, around 2.8 games per system."

Why would you expect a higher attach rate for Xbox One? Obviously the figures say that there is a higher attach rate, but why would you expect that to be the case? Is it that historically owners of Xbox consoles have bought more games?

I don't know any of the facts, but considering that the UK prefers the 360 to the PS3 this makes sense. Many people own both consoles. They will more than likely buy cross platform games on the 360 and only buy the games that are exclusive to the PS3 on that console. I have both consoles and that is what I do. That will push the tie in ratio up for the 360 and down for the PS3.

I'm not by any means suggesting that it is significant but Sony is a lot more committed to day-one digital than the other platforms. We don't know how much that is contributing. Charts are retail only, but we need to remember that retail isn't the whole picture.

maverick40

I knew Nintendo had problems, but I figured that they could coast for quite a while based on the Wii's initial success and money. Now I am starting to realize that Nintendo has a real problem...right now. Assuming that they produced the 9 million consoles that they said they would sell this fiscal year, with the revised estimate of only 2.8 million to actually be sold that means that Nintendo will have 6.8 million consoles sitting around at the end of the fiscal year. To put that another way, if Nintendo is able to sell 2.8 million consoles a year going forward it will take 2.2 more years just to sell off the consoles that they had already made.

That fact significantly ties Nintendo's hands. They can't make a new redesigned system because they still have to sell off the stock of the current version. Even more important is that Nintendo has to decide if they want to continue to make more Wii Us. They are going to have to decide real soon if they want to internally kill the Wii U.

Based on these assumptions I am guessing that Nintendo will drastically reduce the Wii U's price. Yes they will lose money on every unit sold, but they'll lose even more money if they don't sell them at all. They also have to realize that the low hardware install base is dragging down their software sales.

I predict that Nintendo will privately kill the Wii U internally and move on to something new. They'll do their best to sell their backlog of consoles and games already in development, but that will be it. It takes at least 2 years to make a quality AAA game. Trying to sell such a game on the Wii U in 2016 would bring nothing but frustration.

I don't know any of the facts, but considering that the UK prefers the 360 to the PS3 this makes sense. Many people own both consoles. They will more than likely buy cross platform games on the 360 and only buy the games that are exclusive to the PS3 on that console. I have both consoles and that is what I do. That will push the tie in ratio up for the 360 and down for the PS3.

I agree with everything you said. The Wii U is in disaster status and they need to kill it asap. Seriously their home console selling like pennies is a complete failure.

Griss

I reckon they were waiting for this holiday's sales figures. Now they know what shit they're in. Iwata said they'd be reconsidering their business, and I imagine they've been doing nothing but analysing and strategising since that announcement. They'll have a rough idea of where they're going strategically by the financial briefing at the end of the month. I'm with you - I believe that internally they'll make the decision this month to stop manufacturing Wii Us and try to sell what they've already made.

sono

Great 2013 for 360 in uk, not so bad for PS3 either..

Arent those uk xbox360 and ps3 sales numbers significant proportions of the 2013 worldwide units sold respectively ?

For the top selling hardware, 3DS really needs more software. If it weren't for the holidays the numbers would looks pretty bad.

Steel

Banned
Vita LTD numbers might be terrible, but 500k is definitely better than I thought. Makes Patcher's 4.2 mill WW LTD number seem plausible.

Goodness. The fact that the Xbox One and PS4 have past the Wii U in 2013 software sales even though those two systems were only out for not even two months is a big sign for many companies to not waste money making games for the Wii U.

Well according to Gamekyo, Gamestop has been cancelling Watch Dogs pre-orders for Wii U saying it has been canceled and should buy a different version: http://www.gamekyo.com/newsfr56128_gamestop-watch-dogs-annule-sur-wii-u.html

Edit: Seems to have already been posted as a thread...

Sakujou

Banned
holy shit, wii u is this bad!?!?!?

and i guess only nintendo software sells... so what is going on with the thirds...?

what is wrong with the people not buying nintendo!?!?

I'm not by any means suggesting that it is significant but Sony is a lot more committed to day-one digital than the other platforms. We don't know how much that is contributing. Charts are retail only, but we need to remember that retail isn't the whole picture.

Genuine question here

In my experience, yes that has always been the case.

Thank you very much for sharing these interesting sales data.

UK - 3DS total software sales in 2013 = 2,476,000 units.
Japan - Pokémon X / Y in its first 9 days of sales = 2,687,000 units

Anyway, I'm not surprised at all by the low software sales figures. 3DS is basically performing like every portable console not called Nintendo DS.

Europe: (software tie ratio)

Game Boy - 3.64
Game Boy Advance - 3.80
3DS - 3.40

Nintendo DS - 5.44

Worth also nothing that 3DS is the first with retail games on the eShop, which will bring the tie up somewhat if those aren't included in the software sales. Especially true given the various promotions they've run on digital retail games this year.

AzaK

holy shit, wii u is this bad!?!?!?

and i guess only nintendo software sells... so what is going on with the thirds...?

what is wrong with the people not buying nintendo!?!?

Nothing's wrong with the people, it's just that the Wii U is decidedly uninteresting to most people. Performance on par with old systems. GamePad not showing a significant reason to buy (And it looks weird if you're thinking of it as a tablet). Price too high. Not enough compelling games. Next to zero third party support.

zhao3gold

Banned
1. Glad to see the attach rate of Xbox One is so good;
2. Glad to see Xbox 360 showed strong performance in UK in its 8 years;
3. Glad to see both Xbox One and PS4 started strongly showing positive further of new gen;
4. Poor Wii U and PSVita.....

Mattias

Banned
Zero marketing kills products. Well done Nintendo. Ive yet to see a commercial for Wii U anywhere. I see tons of adds for PS4 all over the place. One isnt even released here yet.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I feel bad for the WiiU. I'm going to get one this year if they drop it to $199 (gotta have me some Smash, mario kart, and bayonetta) but this thing is so done...

Not surprised to see Sony software sales surge, they had an incredible year in terms of exclusives.

Hurts to see what's happened to Nintendo and the Wii U, but not surprising considering it's anaemic presence at retail...

Sakujou

Banned
Zero marketing kills products. Well done Nintendo. Ive yet to see a commercial for Wii U anywhere. I see tons of adds for PS4 all over the place. One isnt even released here yet.

zero marketing??? nintendo had a few things running during the christmas season.

its the people and the software which are missing and denying to support it.

Why are we all focusing on the WII U, when the Vita sold even worse?

I can't speak for everyone, but I expected the Vita to do poorly simply because of how overpriced the memory cards are, not to mention a lack of compelling software until much later into the year...

Dynoro

At the rate we Vita owners buy games, that 500k translates to about 60 Vitas. 40 of which were purchased prior to 2013.

I surmise that Vita sold 20 units in 2013.

You're looking at this the wrong way; Vita owners (like me) buy all digital so 500k software sales actually means infinite Vita sales as everyone who bought a Vita bought digital only and the 500k software sales were just bonuses :)

That XBOX 360 replacement rate is pretty high. Maybe Nintendo should look into selling hardware that dies very quickly next generation.
Terrible joke. MS did bring the failure rate down to only about 23% to 25% in the last year, from what I heard.

MadLukas

Banned
That XBOX 360 replacement rate is pretty high. Maybe Nintendo should look into selling hardware that dies very quickly next generation.
Terrible joke. MS did bring the failure rate down to only about 23% to 25% in the last year, from what I heard.

It also makes no sense. Every 360 , which ever broke, got replaced my Microsoft themselves, only very few bought new ones. And the failure rate in the slim generation is in the single digit number.

syoaran

Just retail? Makes sense

I would imagine, looking at purchasing habits, that the digital revenue from the PS3 would be much higher that Microsofts X360 - given that Sony target PSN customers aggressively with sales and unique pre-order DLC, where as Microsoft take the Nintendo approach of retail price + out of touch download fee.

Nintendo have always treated the UK market and it's consumers like dog shit, so it's no surprise they're hurting, it was always going to catch up with them in the end.

From late releases (or not even bothering), to absurdly over priced launch prices on hardware & software, to sudden price drops just weeks after such launches, to ultra shitty, 'we don't give a shit' 50Hz PAL software, even on VC releases FFS!!

The level of contempt for the UK (and Europe in general) has been pretty shocking, they are still in the mind set of the early 90's that Europe is some backwater after thought of a market only fit for the dinner table scraps.

..so my attitude to them these days is quite frankly..fuck 'em.

I have about 10-12 games on my Vita (in the UK) and I´ve never bought a single one at retail. Let´s be honest, it´s unlikely that any Nintendo platform sells boat loads of digital games. I´d really love to know, though, how much each platform sells digitally. Perhaps I´m wrong, but I get the feeling that the Vita sells a lot digitally, and the Nintendo platforms... not so much.

I have about 10-12 games on my Vita (in the UK) and I´ve never bought a single one at retail. Let´s be honest, it´s unlikely that any Nintendo platform sells boat loads of digital games. I´d really love to know, though, how much each platform sells digitally. Perhaps I´m wrong, but I get the feeling that the Vita sells a lot digitally, and the Nintendo platforms... not so much.

With the memory card prices the way they were for most of the year? Not sure I agree with that...

Saying that, I've bought most of my Vita games digitally too, so perhaps you're not too far off the mark.

SmokyDave

With the memory card prices the way they were for most of the year? Not sure I agree with that...

Saying that, I've bought most of my Vita games digitally too, so perhaps you're not too far off the mark.
The account system mitigates that issue slightly. I know I juggled an 8GB for a long time.

Personally, of my ~75 Vita games, only one is retail and that's because it's a Japanese import. I've never contributed to these charts :(

The account system mitigates that issue slightly. I know I juggled an 8GB for a long time.

Personally, of my ~75 Vita games, only one is retail and that's because it's a Japanese import. I've never contributed to these charts :(

That's true I guess. I juggled the 16gb for a while before jumping on the 32gb. Now I'm giving serious thought to picking up a 64gb, but I'm wary of importing due to fees, not sure if the sites selling them are reliable, etc.

Anyway, would certainly be interesting to see how Vita software is doing digitally. I wonder if Sony will ever publish the figures?

Top Bottom