• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Basement Crawl (PS4) Delayed Due to 'Exciting Opportunities'

gruenel

Just a week after announcing Basement Crawl would be released today, developer Bloober Team has delayed its debut PlayStation 4 game in order to take advantage of "exciting opportunities" that have arisen.

"While the completed version of Basement Crawl was prepped for launch during the last week, several exciting opportunities to partner with major industry players to enhance, refine and add-to the game arose," said Bloober CEO Piotr Babieno. "Although a difficult decision, we decided that the best choice for us, as a team, was to delay Basement Crawl so that we could take full advantage of these opportunities. We will be able leverage those new partnerships to further grow and improve the game while still providing an amazingly fun multiplayer experience for PS4 owners. We'll be able to announce more details in the days and weeks to come."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/29/basement-crawl-delayed-due-to-exciting-opportunities

So... pure speculation, but I guess it's either on PS+ soon, or it's coming to Xbox and MS enforces release date parity.

Edit: just saw it is being discussed here, but I feel it deserves its own thread.

Edit2: looks like it's still exclusive:
BLOOBER TEAM DELAYS RELEASE OF BASEMENT CRAWL

KRAKOW, Poland (JAN 29, 2014) – Bloober Team, an independent developer based in Krakow, Poland, has delayed the release of their PlayStation®4-exclusive game Basement Crawl from its originally scheduled release date this week. The game is still scheduled to release worldwide in the first quarter of 2014.

“While the completed version of Basement Crawl was prepped for launch during the last week, several exciting opportunities to partner with major industry players to enhance, refine and add-to the game arose,” said Piotr Babieno, CEO, Bloober Team. “Although a difficult decision, we decided that the best choice for us, as a team, was to delay Basement Crawl so that we could take full advantage of these opportunities. We will be able leverage those new partnerships to further grow and improve the game while still providing an amazingly fun multiplayer experience for PS4 owners. We’ll be able to announce more details in the days and weeks to come.”

One of the most anticipated upcoming games for PS4, Basement Crawl brings classic Bomberman-style gameplay and grind-house flavor to the system with the most fun multiplayer experience available on next-generation systems. The game will be available for download exclusively through the PlayStation Network.

Edit3: Bloober chiming in:
Hi guys, I'm the quoted ITT marketing manager from Bloober. I want to answer some of the questions or rather clarify some things.
1. It has nothing to do with Microsoft.
2. The game will be out Q1 2014.
3. There are two partners involved.
That's pretty much all I can say. I could go full CBOAT here, but noone would find my body after that. You can expect one new announcement next week, most likely, but not 100% sure.
BTW I'd really appreciate if someone activated our official account here. :p

They've got to be saying it'll be free on PS+. In no ones universe could being delayed just for launch parity on the Bone be considered an exciting opportunity.

Toki767

They definitely don't have a PS+ game for March yet.

I'd laugh and shake my head if it were a release date parity thing.

YFaBy6L.jpg

I'm gonna be fucking pissed off if this is about the release date parity clause.

On the other hand, I'll be pleased as punch if it's a PS+ game.

I'm leaning toward MS's shitty policy at the moment.

hawk2025

hmmmm.

What's the rumored March PS+ game? Secret Ponchos or Binding of Isacc Rebirth, right?

What if those won't make March, and so Sony offered them the March PS+ for PS4 slot? That seems to make more sense than a last minute parity concern.

zod18

Banned
Don't blame the devs. This is MS having them over a barrel if they want to release on multiple platforms.

Well don't announce it as a exclusive and delay it on release day then.

I won't support this if it's a parity thing.

hmmmm.

What's the rumored March PS+ game? Secret Ponchos or Binding of Isacc Rebirth, right?

What if those won't make March, and so Sony offered them the March PS+ for PS4 slot? That seems to make more sense than a last minute parity concern.

This doesn't make sense at all, the game seems to be finished. Why wait until March when you can use the current drought of PSN games to your advantage?

labaronx

hmmmm.

possible

labaronx

Well don't announce it as a exclusive and delay it on release day then.

I won't support this if it's a parity thing.

This doesn't make sense at all, the game seems to be finished. Why wait until March?

I kinda agree seems pretty messed up for people anticipating the game

Hmm

From a November interview with their marketing manager:

Rashid Sayed: The game announcement explicitly said you are a ‘developer focused on Sony’s platforms.’ Given the tough market conditions, why is it that Sony drew you over the other two console manufactures [Xbox One and Wii U], or even over PC, which is a haven for the indie game development scene?

Aron Cender: Our goal is to make games for hardcore gamers and we feel that Playstation is the go-to platform. Xbox One is more of a family entertainment system, with all the TV features and Kinect, than a gaming console. And Wii U was never meant for hardcore players, so that’s not our target, even though we have a lot of love and respect for Nintendo. PC is pretty similar to Playstation, when it comes to hardcore players, but you can’t forget about Sony’s support for indie developers, which has really been amazing, as well as PSN which is one of the best places to sell your games. Also Basement Crawl is a very “console” game with local multiplayer, that wouldn’t be possible on PC.
Zing!

http://gamingbolt.com/basement-craw...-mechanics-spooky-art-design-classes-and-more

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This doesn't make sense at all, the game seems to be finished. Why wait until March when you can use the current drought of PSN games to your advantage?

It makes sense in the fact that Sony said, "Here's a bunch of money to make your game free for March's PS+ promo." There's definitely less risk for them.

ramuh

It makes sense in the fact that Sony said, "Here's a bunch of money to make your game free for March's PS+ promo." There's definitely less risk for them.

This. Sony could have recently approached them about making it March's PS promotion in exchange for the guaranteed PS+ money. It still sucks for those that were waiting on it. Maybe they will throw in a bonus level or something. This is all IMO.

Its out in EU right? Cant imagine MS would force them to delay a US launch just to be dicks.

Then again that is pretty much exactly what Microsoft did with Retro City Rampage but with EU and US PSN switched...........

Wouldnt never buy if true. Hope its something else.

Theecliff

Banned
Wouldn't it be a bit too sudden to become a multiplatform game now? The game was literally just about to be released and has been penned as a PS4 exclusive for a while, so I honestly don't think this has anything to do with Microsoft ID@Xbox thing otherwise they should have announced something a while ago. I'm gonna go with it having something to do with PS+.

Excuse me, but wasn't there a loophole for existing exclusivity contracts?
Wasn't that closed?

Guymelef

Its out in EU right? Cant imagine MS would force them to delay a US launch just to be dicks.

Then again that is pretty much exactly what Microsoft did with Retro City Rampage but with EU and US PSN switched...........

Wouldnt never buy if true. Hope its something else.

No, delayed today.

It was supposed to be out today, but was not included in the PSN store update.

That was different. The EU launch was set to go just a bit after the NA one, but then the developer choose to delay it further in order to address the criticisms from reviewers with a patch before releasing it in Europe.

From the same interview:

Rashid Sayed: From a development perspective, several gameplay developers have claimed that the PS4 is 50% more powerful than the Xbox One. What are your thoughts on the same and does that kind of power really matter in game development?

Aron Cender: We didn’t have any contact with Xbox One, so it’s hard to compare both consoles. However, if you look at pure numbers it seems that Playstation 4 is more powerful. Most games run better on PS4, with higher resolutions and FPS, so I’m pretty sure Sony did a better job at making a gaming console. Pure computing power is for sure an important factor for developers, but we should also remember how easy it is to access this power. Overall Playstation 4 is a great and powerful tool. Our games are not that demanding on hardware as AAA titles, but we can see how well-engineered the PS4 is.
Yeah I can't see this being an Xbox deal. As of late last November they hadn't touched an Bone/dev kit and they're pretty negative about it. If I were a betting man I'd say this is a PS+ game.

If this game is a PS+ game I will be disappointed. The game doesn't look good.
Yeah I'm not sure about it myself but Bomberman is cool and this game has bots, so, that's something.

zod18

Banned
This. Sony could have recently approached them about making it March's PS promotion in exchange for the guaranteed PS+ money. It still sucks for those that were waiting on it. Maybe they will throw in a bonus level or something. This is all IMO.

No. First reason can be found in my previous post, second reason is the wording. The announcement says "Several exciting opportunities... " & "... new partnerships"
That's not how you would announce a PS+ promotion.

Goddamn I really loathe this Microsoft parity clause

Edit: Assuming that is related, of course

Edit 2: but I loathe it either way

it's pretty shitty the ID@xbox parity clause thing faded away without any resolution. did MS get away with it?

Stop assuming so much people.

how can you blame us? the fact that the parity clause is a possibility is always going to loom over indie games.

I personally don't care what MS does but when their policies effect release dates and content on my console it irks me.

salromano

I don't think this has anything to do with Microsoft, guys.

BLOOBER TEAM DELAYS RELEASE OF BASEMENT CRAWL

KRAKOW, Poland (JAN 29, 2014) – Bloober Team, an independent developer based in Krakow, Poland, has delayed the release of their PlayStation®4-exclusive game Basement Crawl from its originally scheduled release date this week. The game is still scheduled to release worldwide in the first quarter of 2014.

“While the completed version of Basement Crawl was prepped for launch during the last week, several exciting opportunities to partner with major industry players to enhance, refine and add-to the game arose,” said Piotr Babieno, CEO, Bloober Team. “Although a difficult decision, we decided that the best choice for us, as a team, was to delay Basement Crawl so that we could take full advantage of these opportunities. We will be able leverage those new partnerships to further grow and improve the game while still providing an amazingly fun multiplayer experience for PS4 owners. We’ll be able to announce more details in the days and weeks to come.”

One of the most anticipated upcoming games for PS4, Basement Crawl brings classic Bomberman-style gameplay and grind-house flavor to the system with the most fun multiplayer experience available on next-generation systems. The game will be available for download exclusively through the PlayStation Network.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah I'm not sure about it myself but Bomberman is cool and this game has bots, so, that's something.
Check out gameplay videos.

I agree that Bomberman is cool but this game doesn't deliver on the Bomberman premise, purely from a gameplay perspective.

Top Bottom