• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CG will be used to recreate Phillp Seymour Hoffman's final Hunger Games scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://nypost.com/2014/02/06/hoffman-to-be-digitally-inserted-into-new-hunger-games/

The filmmakers behind the “Hunger Games” movies will digitally recreate late actor Philip Seymour Hoffman in a major yet-to-be-shot scene, sources from the flick said.

Editors will use computer graphics and camera tricks — instead of rewriting the script — to film at least one heartfelt scene featuring Hoffman’s character, the gamesmaker Plutarch Heavensbee.

“You can do digital things, you can have conversations where you’re not focusing on him but the people he’s talking to,” an insider from the film company Lionsgate told Hollywood Reporter.

Hoffman had almost finished filming “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2,” due in theaters in November 2015, before he died of a heroin overdose.

1200.jpg

commedieu

Banned
this seems cold...I understand why a bunch of hollywood execs are going to pump money into a 3d human effect, but still seems pretty cold. I just wonder if editing/rewrite could have produced the achieved effect. Sounds like its for one scene.

commedieu

Banned
So are they going to use a sound-alike?

I think you'd have to, unless theres some tech to sample/mix/balance words hes used during the shoot.

It sounds like its for a intimate/dramatic scene though.. the performance audio performance seems like it will be just as important.

If his family is okay with it, I am. I don't think it's opportunistic or disrespectful to do something like this when the majority of production is otherwise complete.

But they better be prepared to do an amazing job with it. Hopefully no Jeff Bridges...thing.

The Sopranos - the actres died mid-season and thy needed to complete the scene with CG face.

Didn't The Crow also use CG Brandon Lee to complete the film?

They did, sort of, but they had the character completely obscured by shadow and his lines were spoken off screen.

Not quite the same as Tony Soprano's mom looking like a fucking Silent Hill character.

- J - D -

That Sopranos episode was from like a decade ago.

edit: And Tron Legacy's Clu was from 2010.

Cgi is always getting better. As long as they don't linger on CG Hoffman and let the audience pick out the unreal flaws, it'll be fine.

zewone

Smh. Please educate yourselves on the best or second best TV series ever created.

I'm not sure what this has to do with The Wire or Breaking Bad, but yes, carry on.

On topic, I'm curious as to how they will do the voice. Copy/paste snippets from past audio recordings?

commedieu

Banned
I wonder if this will this look like Clu from Tron Legacy?

Tron_legacy_clu-1-.jpg

a human is a pretty tall order to just request. Clu took a while, and this was with years of technology invested into, and benjamin buttons leading up to it.. will really be interesting to see them pull it off, time considerations and all. Probably wont be able to do a 3d scan of his face. Maybe re-create it with photography.. its going to be one hell of an effect to do.

NekoFever

Oliver Reed's last scene in Gladiator uses CG as well, since he died during production. It's a body double with his head superimposed and clever editing of dialogue. Plus an alternate take of a line from earlier in the film with a CG background.

CDX

you can have conversations where you’re not focusing on him but the people he’s talking to,”

So they're going to have the camera focused on other characters while you hear his character talking in the background? And occasionally show a shot of a CGI version of his character?

I guess since it's literally only ONE scene that he didn't film, the movie won't suffer for it.

Well at least it's only one scene...

:lol

always found that scene nightmare inducing.

I just watched the full sopranos series recently and when I saw this I couldn't believe my eyes. I cant fathom people who don't know anything about compositing and CGI not being able to tell thats fake as hell.

I still think Clu looks great and Kosinski used him smartly, but I guess I'm in the minority there. I think the tech is such that they can do a pretty convincing job at this point, but we'll see.

zma1013

When actors do movies, they sort of understand this is what could happen if they were to die. Either the re-film the scenes with a different actor if only very little of the movie is shot, or if it's nearly complete, they'll put in a double or CGI it up. It's just part of the business they're involved in. It might seem weird or cold but they know what they've signed up for.

this seems cold...I understand why a bunch of hollywood execs are going to pump money into a 3d human effect, but still seems pretty cold. I just wonder if editing/rewrite could have produced the achieved effect. Sounds like its for one scene.

I have a pretty good idea of what scene they're doing this for, and it's vital that he's there. It would be a great send-off for the character, too.

But as long as the family is okay with it I have no qualms with them using a CG model.

The terrible thing about that Sopranos scene wasn't even just the shittiness of how it looked, but also the awkward as fuck way they just reused lines of dialogue from previous scenes. It's been a while since I watched it but I remember the last conversation between her and Tony barely even making any fucking sense.

edit

Tony: Hey, Ma!
Livia: Look who calls!
Tony: Well, actually I'm standing here in front of you.
Livia: Eh!
Tony: I brought you some books on tape since you say you can't concentrate to read.
Livia: I wish the lord would take me now!

Roo

Wait.. wait.. WAIT!
So he already filmed the last two Hunger Games movies??
Didn't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom