• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 |OT| May the Odds Be Ever in Your Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

I watched the first three movies and well, I can't say I was disappointed because I did not expect much from this franchises premise. I really didn't care about any kind of arena play, what fascinated me most about the first two movies was the dystopia around them, so everything except the hunger games themselves and I wanted to see more of that.
well I got that in the third movie and I should have been more careful what to wish for, because it was really not good, it felt super uninspired and stretched. it may have been better to not split that story in 2 movies. I will watch the new one when it's available for rent or on streams.

EhoaVash

i liked the first book at lot, 2nd book was okay, 3rd book was trash

funny enough, i found the first movie to be garbage ( too rushed, not enough material for from the book !! ) BUT i somehow did end up liking the 2nd movie due to the nice change in budget and action, i haven't watched mockingjay part 1 ..but i plan to later this week and maybe watch part 2 when its out on bluray

Vashetti

Banned
Haven't seen the movie yet, how was Plutarch handled what with PSH passing away?

I know he had one scene left to film, just curious how all his stuff played out.

Haven't seen the movie yet, how was Plutarch handled what with PSH passing away?

I know he had one scene left to film, just curious how all his stuff played out.

Not sure which scene he didn't get to film. But, going by the book, I'm thinking it was the scene at the end where Haymitch tells Katniss she gets to go home after she assassinated Coin. In the book, Plutarch is with Haymitch and he is super happy that she did it. In the film, Haymitch is alone and he reads her a letter written by Plutarch. The letter is pretty much a summary of what he said to her in the book. I thought it was handled decently well, but it really made me miss PSH more. =(

Also, there was a scene near the end where they show a projected hologram of him along with some other people and he looks totally like CG.

Vashetti

Banned
Not sure which scene he didn't get to film. But, going by the book, I'm thinking it was the scene at the end where Haymitch tells Katniss she gets to go home after she assassinated Coin. In the book, Plutarch is with Haymitch and he is super happy that she did it. In the film, Haymitch is alone and he reads her a letter written by Plutarch. The letter is pretty much a summary of what he said to her in the book. I thought it was handled decently well, but it really made me miss PSH more. =(

Also, there was a scene near the end where they show a projected hologram of him along with some other people and he looks totally like CG.

Sounds about the best they could have done. Thanks for the response :)

Just got back from seeing it with my fiancee who is a big fan. I should mention I like 2>1>3 in that order. Anyway, here are my thoughts.

So basically the rebels didn't even need Katniss to win the war. All of the running through the sewers and getting everyone killed didn't need to happen. Rebels could have walked in, beat the capital. Then Katniss would have talked to Snow, realize that the Rebel leader (forgot name) was just as bad as Snow, and then kill her. The End.

Also how the hell did Prim get ahead of the capital soldiers and families? I didn't even know she was in combat until Katniss mentioned it.

Also how the hell did the cat make it from district 13 back to 12 all by itself?

Just got back from seeing it with my fiancee who is a big fan. I should mention I like 2>1>3 in that order. Anyway, here are my thoughts.

So basically the rebels didn't even need Katniss to win the war. All of the running through the sewers and getting everyone killed didn't need to happen. Rebels could have walked in, beat the capital. Then Katniss would have talked to Snow, realize that the Rebel leader (forgot name) was just as bad as Snow, and then kill her. The End.

Also how the hell did Prim get ahead of the capital soldiers and families? I didn't even know she was in combat until Katniss mentioned it.

Also how the hell did the cat make it from district 13 back to 12 all by itself?

They needed the holo to get past the pods. The pod setback which happened lead to the events of them needing to go through the sewer to be undetected. Even though the security cameras made them anyway. If they would have stayed above ground and stormed the capitol, they would still probably get owned by pods/soldiers.

Prim wasn't combat, but she was a part of the rebel medics. Don't think the film revealed that she was allowed to go before the fact though. Maybe in Part 1? I can't remember. As for the cat... Something, something, SPEED FORCE?

Thought it was really good. Weakest part of the whole series was the
love triangle

These movies just kept improving. I didn't think the first was very good, but the 3 others are all really good. :p

the thing with prim was weird, but I was told it's better explained why she was there all of a suddenin the book.

Also, she should have given a small speech when she shot coin, and then should have shot snow. Or shot them both, and then speech. Or at least give an impression of how she is viewed afterwards.

Would also have been good to have her voice over in the end, while you get a broader view of how the world is doing in form of a montaPlanen for fredag er at i kommer mellem 16.30 og 17.00. I må gerne sørge for at være der i det tidsrum. Så kl. 17 går vi igang med film og mad.

Så ville jeg høre om i ville være friske på at vi smider en 50er hver. Så køber jeg ind til en god omgang hjemmelavet burgers som vi kan spise under episode 4 og måske noget desert hvis der bliver penge til oversge.

Anyways, these are just minor things and nitpicks in a really good movie.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Just saw this.. I'm actually a little surprised that the general consensus is fairly positive.

I seriously disliked it. It's not exactly the movies fault (as I imagine the book contributed), but it is as if all the experienced military tacticians in the world are dead, so they instead get console sales NPD PR teams and hairdressers to plan a war.

Zero315

Banned
I really like the first two, the second especially is fantastic. Part #1 is the typical problematic part one splitting of something and it meanders at too many points. You've gone ahead and introduced some other cool people, but waste too much time underground or getting above ground, only to go underground again. Part #2 should deliver as a finale. I have no doubt.

No, that's one of the big problems with the book. Too much shit happens around Katniss and instead of going into detail about it they choose to focus on her crying in a closet for half the book.

Did they happy up the ending of the movie? I totally don't remember the part with her having kids. I remember her talking about how she doesn't really love Peeta and that she stays with him because it like stops her from wanting to kill herself and that he still has fits and stuff. Basically that they both ended up being just emotionless shells of people. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I remember the ending being kinda fucked up like that.

So overall I enjoyed this series, but my biggest problem overall has been that I feel like they really miscast Peeta and/or didn't really do a whole lot with his character. He was a way stronger character in the books, but in the movies I find it difficult to believe anyone would really care about him as much as they seem to.

mantidor

I saw it yesterday, I thought it was ok, but had a lot of problems as well. My main problem was
the way the handled Prim's death. I mean, she was the catalyst for the whole thing, when she was picked and Katniss offered to replace her, so her death being so toned down and out of nowhere was so weird. It also made Katniss decisions so painfully easy, it would have been way more interesting of Prim had survived and she actually had to chose if killing Coin was the right thing, and that choosing Peeta over Gale was the right thing. With Prim's death there was no conflict and those choices came as no surprise at all.

I guess that is more a problem of the books (which I will never read).

I don't get why you'd
destroy your comfortable capital to stop a mob, which basically achieves the mob's goal, guaranteed

Yeah I didn't quite get that either.

So overall I enjoyed this series, but my biggest problem overall has been that I feel like they really miscast Peeta and/or didn't really do a whole lot with his character. He was a way stronger character in the books, but in the movies I find it difficult to believe anyone would really care about him as much as they seem to.

It's like someone said before, the main cast is really dull, everyone around them is so much more interesting, I would watch a movie about them.

Thought it was really good. Weakest part of the whole series was the
love triangle

These movies just kept improving. I didn't think the first was very good, but the 3 others are all really good. :p

the thing with prim was weird, but I was told it's better explained why she was there all of a suddenin the book.

Also, she should have given a small speech when she shot coin, and then should have shot snow. Or shot them both, and then speech. Or at least give an impression of how she is viewed afterwards.

Would also have been good to have her voice over in the end, while you get a broader view of how the world is doing in form of a montaPlanen for fredag er at i kommer mellem 16.30 og 17.00. I må gerne sørge for at være der i det tidsrum. Så kl. 17 går vi igang med film og mad.

Så ville jeg høre om i ville være friske på at vi smider en 50er hver. Så køber jeg ind til en god omgang hjemmelavet burgers som vi kan spise under episode 4 og måske noget desert hvis der bliver penge til oversge.

Anyways, these are just minor things and nitpicks in a really good movie.

This post was kind of creepy lol, did you forget you were typing in english?.

zugzug

man this was a terrible movie. The dialogue and scenes flowing together just felt bad. the traps were terrible. Lets kill people for no reason just because its time to kill people in this group thats to big. Lets show Tiger woman and use a whole line of dialogue to say she was a makeup artist but then well leave her building without having any makeup to disguise myself except really really large hoods that are clearly suspicous around everyone else not waering hoods.

This post was kind of creepy lol, did you forget you were typing in english?.

lol! Okay, I'm glad it wasn't just me. I got kinda freaked out haha

Lets show Tiger woman and use a whole line of dialogue to say she was a makeup artist but then well leave her building without having any makeup to disguise myself except really really large hoods that are clearly suspicous around everyone else not waering hoods.

Ugh... I know. I was waiting for the Tigress part for the whole movie cause it was one of my favorite parts of the book and it was like hardly nothing. She looked awesome too.

HotHamBoy

Saw it with the GF Saturday because our previous plans went awry. I was pretty bored for most of it. I guess it was more engaging than #2 and Part 1 of #3, but a pretty lame, unsympathetic and mostly unlikeable cast and a rather unoriginal concept. I'm a 30-year-old man and certainly not the target demo, but I like to keep abreast with pop culture. A bad movie is a bad movie, though. That said, I guess there are worse ways to spend $10. I can't say I liked Ant Man or Spectre that much more.

One thing that really irritated me was the
part where they broadcast the Peacekeepers blowing up that building, after the oil, claiming Kat was dead. Let's put aside that Snow had a big scene earlier where he chastisis a subordinate for assuming Kat's dead without being sure. They have camera footage showing them entering the building and footage of the Peacekeepers attacking, but no footage of them leaving the building and crossing the courtyard before the Peacekeepers arrived? That doesn't really make any sense. For that matter, wouldn't the whole Capitol just be a Big Brother network of cameras everywhere, so they'd always see where the rebels were?
Of course, the movie has a lot of problems but that just really bothered me.

Brakke

Banned
Didn't like it. It's weird because I liked a lot of the beats and I think some of the character dynamics are strong and they get room to breathe. Peeta and Gale talking was way more interesting than either of them talking to Katniss, I liked their relationship. Gale's relationship to the revolution, Finnick's relationship with everybody (Finnick's X Me is the OTP), lot of good, well-shadowed things going on. But then like. Let's build a squad and introduce everyone but then just sort of unceremoniously kill them off here and there: why bother with any of that when we already have a large cast of characters who are worthwhile?

And there were some weird timing / pacing things. Katniss basically cares about killing Snow only, and the revolution basically puts beating Snow as the win condition. But, like, Snow is frail and dying (which we kinda already know from Finnick since the last movie). Why even have a revolution, just wait him out. The whole thing was weakened by The Captial being so poorly realized. Did Snow have a succession plan? Was anybody under him competent enough to succeed him? And then
Katniss reaches the manor at the same time as the army anyway, so everything leading up to that moment was basically pointless. Her little expedition didn't accomplish anything in any sense except Finnick died and Katniss kissed Peeta back to his senses?
Things being futile is an interesting cool undercurrent in this whole series but they sort of made that point too many times and just spent so much screen time having that be the result.

The battle underground was aight but I already saw Aliens and I already read Harry Potter so Alien X inferi was cool but not really novel or thrilling and the stakes were a mess since I only cared about a couple people in the squad and their mission was dumb and selfish anyway.

Way too long, too many things fall flat, PSH's absence is conspicuous, I'm glad Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson got to kiss, yooo that Lumberjack chick had some killer hairstyles throughout I said god damn.

Katniss throws away her cool Alien motion detector / trap beeper thing as a bomb but she still had a stock of exploding arrows so I don't know why she did that what a dummy why did the revolutionaries look up to such a dingus.

One thing that really irritated me was the
part where they broadcast the Peacekeepers blowing up that building, after the oil, claiming Kat was dead. Let's put aside that Snow had a big scene earlier where he chastisis a subordinate for assuming Kat's dead without being sure. They have camera footage showing them entering the building and footage of the Peacekeepers attacking, but no footage of them leaving the building and crossing the courtyard before the Peacekeepers arrived? That doesn't really make any sense. For that matter, wouldn't the whole Capitol just be a Big Brother network of cameras everywhere, so they'd always see where the rebels were?
Of course, the movie has a lot of problems but that just really bothered me.

The oil (?) gooped up the cameras in the courtyard but yeah that whole sequence was p dumb.

BraXzy

Just watched it tonight. Pretty meh. I enjoyed the first two films well enough but these last two were so average.
I don't like Coin, or at least the portrayal of the character, never read the books.

Some of the action was pretty cool. All of the traps in the Capital were intense and unique.. But then I'm thinking, where the hell did all that tar come from? And how long have these spinning discs of death been hidden under this subway floor or whatever? I suppose you're not supposed to think too hard.

The ending was all kinds of wtf. Why Katniss and Gale didn't just stop after the rebels were literally behind them with nothing standing in their way, rather than carry on and nearly die. Then there is the whole Snow discussion, and it suddenly got a bit interesting. Is he telling the truth about Coin? Is he just having one final sick mind game with Katniss? Who knows, she shot her and people hardly reacted. So did everyone know she was secretly evil and was just waiting for the right time to deal with it? Oh and the Gale send off was just an odd awkward goodbye? Maybe I missed something since it felt like a scene was missing between her arrow leaving her bow and the end.

mantidor

Then there is the whole Snow discussion, and it suddenly got a bit interesting. Is he telling the truth about Coin? Is he just having one final sick mind game with Katniss? Who knows, she shot her and people hardly reacted. So did everyone know she was secretly evil and was just waiting for the right time to deal with it? Oh and the Gale send off was just an odd awkward goodbye? Maybe I missed something since it felt like a scene was missing between her arrow leaving her bow and the end.

It would actually have been brilliant if they had made Katniss and the audience doubt between Snow and Coin, but not only do they make very clear Coin does not care anymore if she survives, they hammered the point across by making her have the fantastic idea of delaying indefinitely elections, not to mention the insanity of organizing another hunger games. At that point it was obvious she was "evil".

Not as good as the first 2 but a masterpiece compared to the piece of shit 3rd film.

JLaw still elevates the franchise beyond what it should be I think.

Toothless

A fitting conclusion for the end of a trilogy. Unfortunately, Lionsgate and Francis Lawrence decided to break this finale into two, which greatly marred Mockingjay Part 1. Part 2 is slightly better, but still is overlong. Jennifer Lawrence is ready to say goodbye to this role, but leaves Katniss with one of her best performances yet. Other performers don't come off well during this, either phoning it in (nearly every adult) or trying too hard to match Jennifer Lawrence (everyone else). The only one who seems to be enjoying it is Donald Sutherland, finishing Snow off with relish. To be fair also to most adult actors in this, all are underused to varying degrees, as the film focuses on Katniss and Peeta as usual. The action is good, and the last twenty minutes are some of the best this franchise has been. However, I still think a 165 minute singular Mockingjay film would've been a lot better. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 is still worth seeing, if just to get closure for a saga that lasted these last few years.

Lingitiz

The movie was okay, however the entire first half was incredibly slow paced and boring.

The emotional impact of
Primm's death was completely unearned and kind of random overall. They would probably have been better suited killing a character that was actually worth a shit.

iamblades

I don't get why you'd
destroy your comfortable capital to stop a mob, which basically achieves the mob's goal, guaranteed

None of the military strategy parts of this series make any goddamn sense at all.

It's not like this giant metropolitan capital city can feed and supply itself, all the rebels would need to do if the districts were united is starve the city into submission. Wouldn't have to fire a shot in anger.

I guess blockades don't make for interesting movies though.

Not really a spoiler, more of a funny observation, but
holy shit I don't think I have seen a movie with more endings since Return of the King.

It kinda stank. The scene at the end
with Peeta and Katniss' baby in the field looked like a fucking Maalox commercial
and was so pointless. I don't even know how I ended up seeing all four movies. I don't think I really enjoyed any of them.

jett

D-Member
This was just as bad as part 1. Maybe there is a good movie between both parts, where all of the boring shit and parts where fuck-all happens are excised, but after thinking about it I don't really think so. Katniss did NOTHING in part 1, and she still does NOTHING in part 2.
For 98% of the movie (this is a scientific calculation), anyway. Her entire "mission" accomplishes dick, except killing a bunch of people for no reason whatsoever. An utterly pointless exercise. The actions of the main character are irrelevant to the events that actually transpire during the film. Katniss is completely inconsequential, until the very end, anyway (where the twist ending you can see from two movies away reveals itself.)
Why was this that a thing? This is why I don't think there could ever be a good movie here. I've always heard that the third book is terrible, and I can only assume they were faithful here. First half was a SERIOUS bore, just like part 1, where not only nothing happens, once again we get repeated information on a nearly constant basis. Some of the action was okay, I guess. I couldn't really see much because everything was so dark in my theater, anyway.

What a waste. I didn't like the first Hunger Games movie all that much, but I thought Catching Fire was super entertaining, so in the end I'm disappointed the franchise didn't follow an upwards trajectory.

I'm definitely not giving any more young adult fare any chances. This fad needs to be buried.

Toth

I believe the point of Katniss's 'adventure' at the end (mega-spoilers)
was that she chose to go forward into the capital to kill Snow before the rebels could. She wanted to be the one to kill him and sitting back and waiting for the rebels to get there would have likely negated her chance to do so. That she failed so spectacularly is the price of her decision: the deaths of almost everyone in her group because of that need for revenge. It's yet another horrible thing for her to live with. There is no true happy ending for Katniss, just contentment with a quiet life plagued by nightmares.

I don't get why you'd

This was the first thing I said when I left the cinema,
seemed like such a ridiculously dumb plan, that I refuse to believe anyone would believe it

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Saw the last movie. Thought it was pretty good. I think it was a good idea to split the last book into two films. Always thought the last book should have been two books, just so much going on.

Most of the movie was predictable, and went like I expected. I really think they nailed the ending.

Best part of the series was Donald Sutherland, though I do give Jennifer Lawrence credit for making Katniss a lot more likable and interesting than the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom