• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hunger Games - Full-Length Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trailer (HD) - YouTube

Director: Gary Ross
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland, Wes Bentley, Toby Jones, Amandla Stenberg, Alexander Ludwig, Isabelle Fuhrman, Jacqueline Emerson, Paula Malcomson, Dayo Okeniyi, Jack Quaid, Leven Rambin, Willow Shields, Lenny Kravitz

poster-xlarge.jpg

Synopsis:
Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains. Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love. THE HUNGER GAMES is directed by Gary Ross, and produced by Nina Jacobson's Color Force in tandem with producer Jon Kilik. Suzanne Collins' best-selling novel, the first in a trilogy published by Scholastic that has over 16 million copies in print in the United States alone, has developed a massive global following.

The Hunger Games hits March 23rd, 2012.

glaurung

OK, having watched it, my anticipation is down to zero. It looks like a poorly directed drivel with relatively bad actors (Lenny is not an actor).

It will fail.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
should be R rated to even get me interested.
or else i can just go watch battle royale again.

JaggedSac

glaurung said:
OK, having watched it, my anticipation is down to zero. It looks like a poorly directed drivel with relatively bad actors (Lenny is not an actor).

Agreed. Although my anticipation was never higher than zero. Looks like the simply written drivel it comes from.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
JaggedSac said:
Agreed. Although my anticipation was never higher than zero. Looks like the simply written drivel it comes from.

you mean like twilight?

'Battle Royale' westernized and interpreted for the 'Twilight' crowd? If it has a hook to draw in the Twilight moms, too, then it'll do gangbusters.

gutshot

Read the book, thought it was meh.

I think the movie will be better, only because even though we'll still get the same uninteresting, two-dimensional characters, at least we get to enjoy the action and scenery.

Wife got me to read the books, thought they got worse with each new one, though the first two were quite good imho. Will check this out.

jett

D-Member
Looks good, like a western Battle Royale. :p Didn't know Gary Ross was behind this, definitely increases my interest.

JGS

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
'Battle Royale' westernized and interpreted for the 'Twilight' crowd? If it has a hook to draw in the Twilight moms, too, then it'll do gangbusters.
Whether one likes the books or not, it's really nothing like Twilight just because the trailer might be.

It's a good series actually.

EDIT: I am apparently looking at the wrong trailer, so I'll search.

bengraven

Spike Spiegel said:

It's been called "Battle Royale meets Running Man meets Twilight" for a while now...

And it's not wrong. I liked the books, but yeah. They're definitely inspired by at least the first two books.

It's unfair to say she stole the love triangle from Twilight since it's a classic triangle for centuries, but I'm sure she amped it up for marketing purposes.

JGS said:
Whether one likes the books or not, it's really nothing like Twilight just because the trailer might be.

It's a good series actually.

It really is.

Ignoring the comparisons, it's a pretty good and effective post-apocalyptic dystopian novel with some interesting back story. My only issue with the books was Kat's first person perspective, which just came off as too "teenage girl" for me to not roll my eyes.

But what you goin' do, she's a fucking teenage girl. ha

Ohwiseone

Yup, that looks like some of the stuff described from the books.

I am more interested in the actual Arena battle, than anything else. I did like the short flashes they showed.

Holy Crap at Woody Harrelson, he looks different with the long hair.

As someone who has only read the first book, I like what I am seeing.

Spike Spiegel said:
The first book had very little of the twilight stuff.

I do agree that it needs an R rating.

JGS

Banned
That trailer is built for the book readers (Not getting the Twilight vibe- sorry). Far better than the teaser one.

The only issues I have is:

1. Still not convinced about Kravitz role
2. The Capital looks gloomier than it should.

As I said in the other thread, I like the director, I like the book, & I like Jennifer lawrence as Katniss- someone I thought of immediately upon reading the book based off her performance in Winter's Bone. Based on all of that, I'll take the chance that it sucks and go see it anyway.
Terareflection said:
The first book had very little of the twilight stuff.

I do agree that it needs an R rating.
Book 2 & 3 spoilers so be warned if you just reading 1:

The second book is the most romantic one imo and my least favorite. Peeta spends most of the 3rd book trying to kill her & Gale is losing his luster

The series is again it's own animal by the end.

Never read the books but the subject matter looks interesting. Unfortunately the trailer was full of over acting and poor dialog. Usually that kind of thing can be hidden in a trailer so it must be really bad in the full movie.

Ohwiseone said:
I am more interested in the actual Arena battle, than anything else. I did like the short flashes they showed.

I think they won't show much in of the battle in any of the trailers. Which I actually like, it's how you do a trailer for something that has a huge action set-piece like this.

I might catch it on matinee, but it's not piquing my interest like I thought it would. I'll keep watching trailers, but it's shifted into the peripheral of my radar.

Kusagari said:
Looks pretty bad honestly. All the environments look really sterile.
I laughed at the police uniforms. Like something out of a bad '70s sci-fi movie.

My girlfriend's daughter is obsessed with the books. I'm sure I'll be hearing all about it, again.

JGS

Banned
The uniforms are supposed to look like that. However, the Capital is supposed to be a mix of awesome and ridiculously over the top- neither of which were accomplished from that trailer except for the beard maybe.

I had a feeling that, given the budget, the city was going to get the short end of the stick in realtion to the actual games.

bob page

I'm working my way through book 1 right now and I'm really enjoying it. I can see them screwing up this movie pretty bad, though (but I hope not).

C4Lukins

Looks good to me. Battle Royale with a bit of context is not a bad thing. Lawrence looks much better with darker hair.

I just hope they don't wuss out and cut out a lot of the more violent parts. I mean, people die pretty gruesome deaths in the 1st book, but by the third they just get ridiculously descriptive.

PhoenixSFT said:
I just hope they don't wuss out and cut out a lot of the more violent parts. I mean, people die pretty gruesome deaths in the 1st book, but by the third they just get ridiculously descriptive.

From interviews I read, Ross wants to keep it as graphic and violent as the PG13 allows. He wants the violence to be disturbing but not at the expense of stopping the book's core audience from seeing it.

The most graphic death that stuck with me in the first book was
the kid taking the knife to the back right at the start and him throwing blood up into Katniss's face

JGS said:
That trailer is built for the book readers (Not getting the Twilight vibe- sorry). Far better than the teaser one.

The only issues I have is:

1. Still not convinced about Kravitz role
2. The Capital looks gloomier than it should.

As I said in the other thread, I like the director, I like the book, & I like Jennifer lawrence as Katniss- someone I thought of immediately upon reading the book based off her performance in Winter's Bone. Based on all of that, I'll take the chance that it sucks and go see it anyway.
Book 2 & 3 spoilers so be warned if you just reading 1:

The second book is the most romantic one imo and my least favorite. Peeta spends most of the 3rd book trying to kill her & Gale is losing his luster

The series is again it's own animal by the end.
So I suppose I should skip to the third book, then?

JGS

Banned
The graphic nature of the deaths isn't going to be as troublesome to the audience as the ages & types of the ones getting slaughtered. None of them are particularly bad guys and they're all kids.

There is one in particular that, if done right, I'm going to be boohooing like a baby.

The love triangle aspect of it never really felt that forced or a major point to me. It was just something magazines and the ads tried to hype up. The only time in the books it seemed forced was
when it was supposed to be forced. When they had to put on a show and make it look like they were in love in order to get approval ratings.

JGS said:
The graphic nature of the deaths isn't going to be as troublesome to the audience as the ages & types of the ones getting slaughtered. None of them are particularly bad guys and they're all kids.

There is one in particular that, if done right, I'm going to be boohooing like a baby.

If you are referring to the one I think you are, then don't worry. Ross and Lawrence both said that that scene is probably the most important one to them. It is also the one that Ross got the most threatening words from fans about. They told him before shooting started "if that one scene is not perfect, it doesn't matter how good the rest of the movie is. We will find you..."

JGS

Banned
Terareflection said:
So I suppose I should skip to the third book, then?
I'm actually in the minority regarding the 2nd book
since the 3rd book takes a big turn away from the first two books. There really isn't a lot of romance period in the whole series (Love triangles really spoil the suspense if dwelled too much upon), but Katniss' confusion is most apparent in the 2nd book.

x-Lundz-x

I got the trilogy on a kindle sale for less than 5 bucks a while back and plan on reading the first book this weekend.

Trailer looks pretty awesome so I hope the books are as good as everyone says they are.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That looks really good...Although too faithful maybe. Might turn off some people who've never heard of the series.

I'll be there day one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom