• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hunger Games (Dir. Gary Ross) |OT| May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished reading the last book, sad to say that I think that book one was the best material for a movie. I trust the other movies won't suck, but I'm struggling to see how they will provide a better movie experience, even more so with there being three movies made of the final two books.

Wait and see I guess, but ideally they should shoot 3/4 back to back and make sure each film releases in November the next three years.

Will be interesting to see if any new book material comes out now that the movie as is big as it is.

I feel ya, though i think the second book could totally work. There is a nice build up of tension and sport while the overall theme of the books shines through. The last one will be tough and probably have a ton of new additions to stretch it out over two movies. That, or be like 90 minutes each.

Valhelm

contribute something
Finnick is pretty young. I think he's in his early 20's.

Were I the casting director, I'd choose some broad-shoulder, kind of oafish person that looks like a jock. This would upset thousands of fans, but I'd be okay with Jake Gyllenhaal in the part, although there are bound to be far better actors out there fitting that description.

Rodelina

Neo Member
the movie glosses over a lot in the books, but katniss is such a whiny bitch in the books

One of the things I appreciated about the books was the fact that Katniss could at times to be a very unreliable, emotionally stunted, volatile protagonist. For instance she throws perfectly good cookies outside of a window in the first book. Who does this?
In all seriousness, sometimes I hated her but other times I admired her. It just made her seem like a real person.

Just saw the movie, really enjoyed it. I was planning to read the books first but my friends really wanted to see this tonight.

Gonna pick up the books next week.

JCX

One of the things I appreciated about the books was the fact that Katniss could at times to be a very unreliable, emotionally stunted, volatile protagonist. For instance she throws perfectly good cookies outside of a window in the first book. Who does this?
In all seriousness, sometimes I hated her but other times I admired her. It just made her seem like a real person.

I assumed she dd it because she thought they might be poisoned so Peeta would have a better shot. Makes sense, considering the situation.

I'm over halfwway done with the book now. I like Katniss more in the book than the movie.

I'm over halfwway done with the book now. I like Katniss more in the book than the movie.

I'm about halfway through too, and I feel the opposite. I don't like movie Katniss much more, they are pretty close, but spending all this time in a 16 year old's head can get annoying.

JGS

Banned
The ending is satisfying enough it's just not what some people wanted.

As far as the love stuff, book spoilers:
I haven't seen the movie but I'm led to understand based on other people that they didn't hype up the fact that Katniss was faking her feelings for Peeta in the arena. She did it to stay alive. In the book they go over this ad nauseum so it's quite surprising that such a big part wasn't integrated.

I really should go see this, this weekend.
I think almost oppositely. I think they made it clear in the book that
Katniss was confused about her feelings for Peeta even though it started as a ruse.

In the movie, it was clear to me that she was faking especially after that note from Haymitch plus Hutcherson being in on it the whole time.
Valhelm said:
Were I the casting director, I'd choose some broad-shoulder, kind of oafish person that looks like a jock. This would upset thousands of fans, but I'd be okay with Jake Gyllenhaal in the part, although there are bound to be far better actors out there fitting that description.
Honestly, I see what other posters have mentioned or a Justin Timberlake type although the skin is supposed to be tanner.

I think Gyllenhaal with blonde hair could make the character too.
VistraNorrez said:
I'm about halfway through too, and I feel the opposite. I don't like movie Katniss much more, they are pretty close, but spending all this time in a 16 year old's head can get annoying.
I like book Katniss just because she's more complex than what the movie can show. I imagine they are really one and the same with movie Katniss being a more shrewd rather than clueless.

Rodelina

Neo Member
I assumed she dd it because she thought they might be poisoned so Peeta would have a better shot. Makes sense, considering the situation.

This is true, my interpretation was that she was so hardened that she refused to accept or acknowledge a pure act of kindness without seeing some cynical angle. As if simply enjoying the cookies would make her too soft for Peeta when already she felt indebted to him. Like cookies she could never afford to eat under normal circumstances represented some enemy tactic to weaken her resolve to ultimately kill him. It was just sad.
She wanted to survive of course, but in the novel she completely misinterprets Peeta's (and Peeta's father's) actions; everything he does is out of love and she's the only one who cant tell (even little Rue and Haymitch are aware of this).

My parents just got back from this movie

They thought it was a piece of shit
KuGsj.gif

Didn't you tell them it was for tween girls & twilight demographic?

No, they just heard all the good buzz/BO news and went see it. They're both 50+ years old, but my mom liked the first Twilight movie she saw

"3/10. Holy SHIT" was the text I got, :lol

This movie was terrible.
The only redeeming part was the acting (esp. Lawrence).

How could a Battle Royale clone be so DULL? The action sequences were godawful; shakey cam work was like Greengrass on acid. The movie was 2.5 hours long and yet did a horrible job at building character relationships and motivations. Fucking zzz.

After reading the 1st, 2nd, and the majority of the 3rd book I have to say these are not brilliant... They go really downhill at the end of the 2nd one and the 3rd book reads like fan fiction. Also: I prefer movie-Katniss over book-Katniss (the latter is whiny and irritating).

No, they just heard all the good buzz/BO news and went see it. They're both 50+ years old, but my mom liked the first Twilight movie she saw

"3/10. Holy SHIT" was the text I got, :lol
It's time to cut them out of your life.

Ratrat

If he were to take over and make an amazing film that doesn't hold itself back by following the source material page by page how exactly would that be a waste of his time/talent?

yeah, I'd much rather see him adapt bad novels than make original movies too.

JGS

Banned
This movie was terrible.

How could a Battle Royale clone be so DULL? The action sequences were godawful; shakey cam work was like Greengrass on acid. The movie was 2.5 hours long and yet did a horrible job at building character relationships and motivations. Fucking zzz.
Probably because it wasn't a clone.

Why would someone actually watch a movie they "know" is a Battle Royale clone?

Recon

Banned
Probably because it wasn't a clone.

Why would someone actually watch a movie they "know" is a Battle Royale clone?

It really was a clone. I just watched Battle Royale yesterday, and I was amazed how similar they were.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Never read the books but saw it last night.

Had two gigantic issues despite liking it as a whole since my expectations going in were garbage.

1. Why was the first/last fight shaky camed to hell and back? So dumb, neither me or the gf who had read all the books could tell what's what in the slightest. I know they wanted to hit pg 13 and limit gore but that's no reason for bad shaky cam.

2. Theater experience is still the absolute worst way to watch a movie. Fuck humanity. Would have had a better time watching it on my old cracked screen zune hd in a snow bank.

Never read the books but saw it last night.

Had two gigantic issues

1. Why was the first/last fight shaky camed to hell and back? So dumb, neither me or the gf who had read all the books could tell what's what in the slightest. I know they wanted to hit pg 13 and limit gore but that's no reason for bad shaky cam.

2. Theater experience is still the absolute worst way to watch a movie. Fuck humanity. Would have had a better time watching it on my old cracked screen zune hd in a snow bank.

Agreed on the first point. Actually got a bit dizzy during those scenes. Hate that so much in movies.

As for the second, I have yet to have a bad theater experience, so no comment.

Saw it yesterday.
Loved it. Really well done, and the acting was superb. Also enjoyed the credit music, thinking about buying it.

This movie was terrible.

BR is a classic. This is aimed towards teens with star syndrome.

JGS

Banned
It really was a clone. I just watched Battle Royale yesterday, and I was amazed how similar they were.
I was reserving judgement on this until I saw it. I was hoping Redbox would have a rental copy. they like putting clones/originals from remakes. No luck so I read the synopsis. It really has very little to do with Hunger Games except for the basic premise.

That is not a clone. That is called a genre. I will concede that they are both in the bloodsport genre. It's like saying Scream is like Nightmare on Elm Street.

However, the funniest part of all this is that people are both saying that it is indeed a clone of Battle Royale while at the same time saying it doesn't do things like Battle Royale does.

Recon

Banned
I was reserving judgement on this until I saw it. I was hoping Redbox would have a rental copy. they like putting clones/originals from remakes. No luck so I read the synopsis. It really has very little to do with Hunger Games except for the basic premise.

That is not a clone. That is called a genre. I will concede that they are both in the bloodsport genre. It's like saying Scream is like Nightmare on Elm Street.

However, the funniest part of all this is that people are both saying that it is indeed a clone of Battle Royale while at the same time saying it doesn't do things like Battle Royale does.

It really is very similar. More than just being in the same "genre". Hunger Games is only different in that it has a much more fleshed out back story. But it has a lot of the same scenarios, almost a rip off in some parts.

JGS

Banned
It really is very similar. More than just being in the same "genre". Hunger Games is only different in that it has a much more fleshed out back story. But it has a lot of the same scenarios, almost a rip off in some parts.
Until someone can say how, I'll continue to think of them as separate. They are not similar enough to justify the copycat accusation. It gets boring to bring it up each time because it assumes that battle Royale for some reason started it. Saying it copies Battle Royale presumes that Battle Royale was itself an original concept. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest to learn that Ciollins had never even heard of the story prior to her writing Hunger Games. I know I never heard of it until comparisons were made.

I'm not really arguing that Hunger Games is not original, I'm saying Battle Royale is also using a familiar storyline borrowed from somewhere else in time. Royale fans can be comforted in knowing they appreciate the real story more than the masses.

Valhelm

contribute something
I really don't think that Battle Royale and the Hunger Games are all that similar. What is there besides the premise of children killing each other as part of a government policy?

If Suzanne Collins ripped off any work of fiction, it would be Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083.

The relatively obscure young adult novel (released in 2006, a full two years before the Hunger Games) is set in a practically identical world. Both novels take place in a dystopian North America, in which the decadent government rules its impoverished through force and propaganda. Very similar to the principal of the Reaping, all fourteen year olds must undergo "the toss", in which a simple role of the dice determines if they'll be forced to live in poverty or enjoy the luxury of the ruling class.
Well, a group of teenagers (unlike the Hunger Games, these children are volunteers who are being paid) are sent to explore Antarctica alone, reenacting the trip made by Robert Scott nearly two centuries prior. Much like in Collins' novel, the entire affair is shown on television to an audience, and is a major annual event. Although this wasn't present in the book, the film of the Hunger Games and Surviving Antarctica both spend ample time following a young man who helps shape the games each year, who ultimately rebels against the government by breaking the rules to keep some of the children alive and appease the destitute audience.

The similarities aren't only in the plot. In the 2008 novel and the film, the Capitol's citizens are described and shown as having lavish and garish fashion styles. Several characters in Surviving Antarctica have ridiculously colored hair or skin, and one unnamed woman's locks end at her ankles. President Coin, a major character in Mockingjay, is very similar to the US President introduced at the end of Surviving Antarctica.

Much like with Battle Royale, however, the Hunger Games delves far more deeply into the themes and concepts of Surviving Antarctica, and ultimately proves itself to be the better novel.

vareon

If you read both books and/or watched the movie, you can tell at the very least Collins didn't have the intention to copy Battle Royale.

blind51de

Banned
I was fairly disappointed with the movie after it became clear the character development would revolve around the love story.
It ran off the rails when the little girl died and she lost her shit and started laying flowers on her. I guess it's as much a story as I could expect from a children's writer. If the shackles of melodrama it placed on the plot didn't make me roll my eyes in boredom, the overuse of SSSSHHHHAAAKKKKYYYYCCCAAAMMM did.
At least the pre-victorian industrial dystopia was about right, and more interesting than the entire second half of the movie. That's what's in our future, minus the technicolor aristos with the hover trains.

It doesn't live up halfway to Battle Royale, The Lottery, The Long Walk, The Running Man, Lord of the Flies, or even that Battle Royale manga with the butchered translation.

The Hunger Games was partly inspired by the Greek myth of Theseus and the Minotaur. (Wikipedia)
Hahaha, are you kidding me?

Would someone mind explaining though the three-finger salute? What is it, some dated revolutionary sign?

fuenf

Liked the movie, went on to read the second and third book and thought that they were getting better and better as the story progressed. Cant wait to see how they will be adapted.

Thoughts on Mockingjay (3rd book):
(Entire series / Mockingjay-ending spoiler)
Mockingjay was amazing for the first 350 pages but i still dont really know what to think about the ending. At first i thought that it's some ME3-esque shit but i have to admit that it kinda fits the story (except for the Primrose part). It's just depressing to realize that Katniss was just a seventeen year old Mockingjay in a much larger "game" afterall. Well i guess that's what you get for overestimating her role in the final act and seeing her in a videogame-hero kind of way :(.

T1tan

Neo Member
Saw it over the weekend. Not bad. I liked their build up to the Games itself and it reminded me of Battle Royale and The Running Man. Was in New York early last year when I saw the books sell like hotcakes at the Strand bookstore but $300 million in 3 weeks? Talk about having your finger on the pulse of what's popular!

Just come home from watching it at the cinema with my mother and sister.

Went into it without knowing what it was.

I thought it was quite bad. Definitely much prefer Battle Royale, and felt it had tons of filler that disinterested me.

My mum and sister both liked it, but they like Twilight, so... yeah.

blind51de

Banned
Just come home from watching it at the cinema with my mother and sister.

Went into it without knowing what it was.

I thought it was quite bad. Definitely much prefer Battle Royale, and felt it had tons of filler that disinterested me.

My mum and sister both liked it, but they like Twilight, so... yeah.

Most women can't help but love girl-empowerment for its own sake.

Liked the movie, went on to read the second and third book and thought that they were getting better and better as the story progressed. Cant wait to see how they will be adapted.

Thoughts on Mockingjay (3rd book):
(Entire series / Mockingjay-ending spoiler)
Mockingjay was amazing for the first 350 pages but i still dont really know what to think about the ending. At first i thought that it's some ME3-esque shit but i have to admit that it kinda fits the story (except for the Primrose part). It's just depressing to realize that Katniss was just a seventeen year old Mockingjay in a much larger "game" afterall. Well i guess that's what you get for overestimating her role in the final act and seeing her in a videogame-hero kind of way :(.
The 3rd book was a borderline Mary Sue event. It was just straight up dumb.

El Sloth

Banned
Saw the movie the other day and I enjoyed it although I did have my issues with it. The biggest being that I felt the relationship between the heroine and the main guy was forced and not believable at all. I could believe that the guy had a crush on her since they were young, sure, but I couldn't see her feeling anything for this guy other than friendship. At first I thought she was just playing a role to get investors behind them. My other problem was all the damn shaky cam during action moments.

It did get me interested in the world though. I was planning on picking up the books, but someone told me that it's all downhill from the first one. That true?

Saw the movie the other day and I enjoyed it although I did have my issues with it. The biggest being that I felt the relationship between the heroine and the main guy was forced and not believable at all. I could believe that the guy had a crush on her since they were young, sure, but I couldn't see her feeling anything for this guy other than friendship. At first I thought she was just playing a role to get investors behind them. My other problem was all the damn shaky cam during action moments.

It did get me interested into he world though. I was planning on picking up the booksk, someone told me that it's all downhill from the first one. That true?

You actually nailed what was happening.

The first book is the most "cinematic" and fun but they're all pretty decent light fare, you can read the trilogy in under a week and enjoy the experience well enough.

Ark

I thought the film was awesome, haven't read the books but I just read up on the plots on The Hunger Games wiki.

Two gripes I had with the film:

1) So much shakey cam. I hate this trend in films so much.

2) How in the feck does that girl who puts a knife to Katniss's neck dodge a dead-on arrow shot from Katniss? That's ridiculously improbable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom