• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Ross tells Lionsgate to sit on it. NOT directing Hunger Games sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody still got that True Lies gif where Arnold's team breaks in wearing balaclava's and he stares down Paxton? I lost that shit when tinypic went down.

NawidA

Banned
I don't understand why Lionsgate wants to rush these movies out, it's not like the franchise is inherently shitty like Twilight.

Blader

Saw the first one today. It wasn't very good. Beyond the ridiculously stupid plot and nonsensical/unexplained character motivations it had bland art direction and uneven cinematography (I don't mean shaky cam, the film lacked a visual identity period).

So this is probably a good thing for the series.

But also, shakey cam.

I'm not even one to normally to complain about it (never really bothered me in Quantum of Solace or any Greengrass flick), but goddamn, was it bad here.

I don't understand why Lionsgate wants to rush these movies out, it's not like the franchise is inherently shitty like Twilight.

tumblr_lvri6xyOjW1qap72po1_250.gif

jett

D-Member
But also, shakey cam.

I'm not even one to normally to complain about it (never really bothered me in Quantum of Solace or any Greengrass flick), but goddamn, was it bad here.

I don't understand how Ross made it look so bad, the shaking looks completely unnatural.

JGS

Banned
600full-alfonso-cuaron.jpg

make the call

How did this start as a possibility because it's not.

It will be a middle of the road director if not Ross. They're not going to go bigger (reputation/quality wise. Cuaron's movies don't ignite the box office beyond HP)

Koodo

Banned
I'm not here for a rushed sequel. The budget will probably only get marginally increased too, should this follow the TWILIGHT PROFIT MODEL.

if9ph13JOcF2h.gif

Jimothy

Lionsgate wants the biggest profit margin possible for the sequel. No way it gets a bigger budget than the first one, which is probably why Ross left. They'll bring him some lackey that will bend to the will of the executives' every order and rake in a cool half billion in profit.

Stories like this really hammer home how much Cameron owns FOX's balls right now. The fact that they are willing to wait for what is looking very likely to be seven years for the sequel to the most successful movie of all time without going to another director is amazing. I mean, this is the same studio that told Singer to go fuck himself and hired Ratner three weeks out from shooting after Singer made them two successful X movies and asked them to wait twelve months.

unomas

Banned
Really didn't like this movie, I'm failing to understand why this is so big right now? Is it just a lack of good movies in general?

Stories like this really hammer home how much Cameron owns FOX's balls right now. The fact that they are willing to wait for what is looking very likely to be seven years for the sequel to the most successful movie of all time without going to another director is amazing. I mean, this is the same studio that told Singer to go fuck himself and hired Ratner three weeks out from shooting after Singer made them two successful X movies and asked them to wait twelve months.

Well, FOX knows all too well just how much of an asshole Cameron is capable of being, and are probably more afraid of what kind of spite-money he could print for another studio if they didn't let him get his way.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Get Robert Rodriguez off Spy Kids: Punnishment Thyme with 4d Smell o Vision and get him in on this.

Give it an R rating.

The movie was great and pretty much followed faithfully to the novel. The only thing that gets me was the first 15 minutes of unnecessary shaky cam and some dead action scenes, but other than that I wish Ross would just suck it up and direct Catching Fire. His casting choice was on the spot and he was passionate about the series. Let's hope there'll be a director who can pull this off with the short amount of production time.

Give it to the director of The Running Man... cheesy one liners and new characters named "Buzzsaw" and "Dynamo" would make the series so much more awesome.

Angry Fork

Why are they acting as if they can't just get another guy? It seems like this is another Twilight/Harry Potter franchise it's not like the director of the first is some auteur visionary. I haven't seen the film maybe it was really good because of the director but that's just the impression I get from the sidelines.

edit - I didn't realize this guy did pleasantville, I really liked that now I feel bad for shitting on him.

Hit books, hit first movie, large fanbase waiting for part 2.

If the Harry Potter movies taught us anything, it was that the person directing the movie is irrelevant to how many tickets it will move.

effzee

Really didn't like this movie, I'm failing to understand why this is so big right now? Is it just a lack of good movies in general?

Do you not know about the popularity of the books? Regardless of the actual quality of the movie it was going to do great. And yeah part of it is that there is absolutely zero competition.

effzee

Hit books, hit first movie, large fanbase waiting for part 2.

If the Harry Potter movies taught us anything, it was that the person directing the movie is irrelevant to how many tickets it will move.

And while tons of people liked the movie and overall its been received rather well by critics, I felt it fell short of my expectations. With Ross at the helm I expected more and frankly it came across really cheap at times. Don't know how much of that was Ross or not but maybe this is a move for the better.

unomas

Banned
Do you not know about the popularity of the books? Regardless of the actual quality of the movie it was going to do great. And yeah part of it is that there is absolutely zero competition.

Didn't know it was based on a book series until the day we went to see the movie. It seems like a cool concept, I guess I just didn't like the execution. I'm sure the books do the entire scenario much more justice.

FStop7

Banned
Praying for some off the wall choice to enrage fans. Someone like Bryan Singer, Chris Columbus, Brett Ratner, or Paul Greengrass (for maximum shaky cam)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Saw the first one today. It wasn't very good. Beyond the ridiculously stupid plot and nonsensical/unexplained character motivations it had bland art direction and uneven cinematography (I don't mean shaky cam, the film lacked a visual identity period).

So this is probably a good thing for the series.

I said a lot of this when I came out of the theater.

Matthew Vaughn. Not only is he already in tune with THG aesthetic style, he already has a working relationship with Jennifer Lawrence.

the brilliant Suzanne Collins, who entrusted us with her most amazing and important story

Wat?

At least good he bailed before the 3rd movie, that is going to be WTF of epic proportions.

Is this going to be a yearly series?

Next one is scheduled for November 2013, going against Ender's Game.

Yeah right. Paul Verhoeven couldn't get a PG13 rating if his life depended on it. He doesn't know how conceal titties. It's part of why we love the man.

Keeping PG-13 rating will be close to impossible for the third movie.

JGS

Banned
It could be that it's a good movie and you didn't like it. That happens to me a lot.
Castor Krieg said:
Next one is scheduled for November 2013, going against Ender's Game.
They are very dissimilar, but the chance of success will be against poor little Ender
again.
ShinobiFist said:
What cinematography? To much shake to see anything...
The shaky cam thing is becoming the same level of annoying as "Battle Royale clone"

The vast majority of the movie had no shaky cam whatsoever, in some parts it made complete sense, & maybe ruined one scene unless one wasn't paying enough attention because they thought the movie was crappy anyway.

To me, Ross will definitely be missed because it's his movie, it's a good movie (It's better than the majority of summer blockbusters that come out every year and this year will be no exception), and they will increase the budget at the expense of the director.

The only way a name brand director will come on board is if they are enamored by the series which rarely happens. Hopefully, I'm wrong since they got a name brand writer to replace Ross, but it's doubtful.

The shaky cam thing is becoming the same level of annoying as "Battle Royale clone".

The thing is - it really is a "Battle Royale" clone, as evidenced by the author clusterfuck-grade plot the moment it moves away from the concept of Hunger Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom