• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Ross tells Lionsgate to sit on it. NOT directing Hunger Games sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The thing is - it really is a "Battle Royale" clone, as evidenced by the author clusterfuck-grade plot the moment it moves away from the concept of Hunger Games.

Suzanne Collins never heard of Battle Royale before turning in the manuscript to her first book, and has still yet to read or watch BR as of December 2011, according to a New York Times article.

And I think Hunger Games is the better book and better movie. There, I said it. Come at me, bro.

Suzanne Collins never heard of Battle Royale before turning in the manuscript to her first book, and has still yet to read or watch BR as of December 2011, according to a New York Times article.

And I think Hunger Games is the better book and better movie. There, I said it. Come at me, bro.

I'm pretty sure Suzanne Collins doesn't want to be sued for stealing someone else's ideas. Although to be fair I doubt she can be held responsible, it's not like book concept can be trade-marked.

As for "come at me, bro" - what for? You have bad taste, end of story.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm pretty sure Suzanne Collins doesn't want to be sued for stealing someone else's ideas. Although to be fair I doubt she can be held responsible, it's not like book concept can be trade-marked.

As for "come at me, bro" - what for? You have bad taste, end of story.

She said she was unaware of Battle Royale, I believe her.

And the characters in The Hunger Games were better fleshed out. I was more emotionally invested in the characters at the end.

Oh look, more Hunger hate. Keep it coming GAF.

Is there a rule "I won't hate on X"? I don't like the books, simple as that. I think the movie was way better, however in my opinion they will have lots of problems in making the 3rd movie.

And the characters in The Hunger Games were better fleshed out. I was more emotionally invested in the characters at the end.

Fair point, you have a right to that.

Zabka

Last I saw BR was 8 years ago and I loved it. Watched it again over the weekend and man was it cheesy. People are so defensive about BR these days that I wonder if they're remembering it accurately.

Maybe it was because I watched the Director's cut. I think it added a bunch of lame flashbacks.

No fucking way should Cuaron be wasted on this series.

He needs to be doing my Wicked movie, based on the novel not the musical.

Because Mirror Mirror Turned out so well. (same author, same fantasy series)

Still want to see mirror mirror.

Fuck Yes. Keep gary away from the next movies and just get someone serviceable who knows what a long wide shot is.

JGS

Banned
Please dont make another in this series at all, enough with these crappy " girl " movies.
Yep, cuz one thing Hollywood never does is make a sequel to a movie grossing over a half billion dollars- especially when it's part of a trilogy of mega selling books.

That would be suicide.

Is there a rule "I won't hate on X"? I don't like the books, simple as that. I think the movie was way better, however in my opinion they will have lots of problems in making the 3rd movie.

Fair point, you have a right to that.

It was mainly @ Sculli ;), he doesn't like it...I get it, it was obvious after the first 250 posts.

And you know the 3rd book is split right?

Solo

Gary Ross said:
they empowered me to make the film I wanted to make and backed the movie in a way that requires no explanation beyond the remarkable results

Gary Ross said:
that requires no explanation beyond the remarkable results

Gary Ross said:
remarkable results

I sure hope he's talking about box office and not the film's quality. Because, if the latter...............

laugh1v6b1myd9a.gif

She lied.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/89/KinjiFukasakuPromoPhoto.jpg[/ig]

Zombie Kinji Fukasaku unearthed; has a hearty laugh at the thought of [b]morally binary[/b] PG-13 garbage, goes back to sleep.[/QUOTE]

just started kind of paying attention to this book/movie, but that kills my interest in it completely...

JGS

Banned
She lied.

Even if she did (& seriously unless you lives in Japan there's no reason to have heard of the movie), the story is completely different still.

So kudos for making the unofficial adaptation. It's right up there with the Dances with Wolves retelling known as Avatar.

Chris R

So the director isn't known, but what about a writer to help adapt it along with Collins? The second movie needs to be done very well to properly setup the third film...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Even if she did (& seriously unless you lives in Japan there's no reason to have heard of the movie), the story is completely different still.

So kudos for making the unofficial adaptation. It's right up there with the Dances with Wolves retelling known as Avatar.

This post is made of win.

And you know the 3rd book is split right?

What do you mean? I bought all three books together in a hardcover box.

First of all, it's "you live". Singular, 2nd person, present simple tense.

Also, I read the book and watched the movie before 2005. I'm from Poland, does it mean I only read Polish books and watch Polish movies? You are aware there are other countries in the world, right?

As for completely different:

Battle Royale: children from one class are rounded up in a televised fight until one of them is left alive. They are given different objects at the beginning, not only weapons.

Hunger Games: children from 12 districts are rounded up in a televised fight until one of them is left alive. They can get different objects right at the beginning, not only weapons.

TheYanger

What do you mean? I bought all three books together in a hardcover box.

First of all, it's "you live". Singular, 2nd person, present simple tense.

Also, I read the book and watched the movie before 2005. I'm from Poland, does it mean I only read Polish books and watch Polish movies? You are aware there are other countries in the world, right?

Battle Royale: children from one class are rounded up in a televised fight until one of them is left alive. They are given different objects at the beginning, not only weapons.

Hunger Games: children from 12 districts are rounded up in a televised fight until one of them is left alive. They can get different objects right at the beginning, not only weapons.

While I DO think Hunger Games is a pretty blatant ripoff, Battle Royale wasn't 'televised' at all, nor was it a commentary about television because of it. That's just the shitty american manga translation.

While I DO think Hunger Games is a pretty blatant ripoff, Battle Royale wasn't 'televised' at all, nor was it a commentary about television because of it. That's just the shitty american manga translation.

Ok, I forgot that part. I remember the last winner being broadcasted on TV (freaky little girl).

However, I don't think Hunger Games books are a commentary of modern reality shows. Collins did not go that far.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
What was the excuse for the first movie, then?

And Alfonso Cuaron has more important things to make than wasting his time with this franchise. I will see the sequel for Simon Beufoy's involvement.

85% on RT and a massive box office?

I imagine his excuse, to you, the minority on feelings about the picture would be along the lines of 'I'm sorry I can't hear you because of all the great reviews and money!'

It's November 2013 at this point.

Really the second movie just needs a decent scriptwriter and a director who can handle the action in the second half better than it was handled in the first movie.

Dream Directors need to be pulled in for movies three (and four), to try and salvage the wreck that could come from trying to translate Mockingjay to screen.
The 3rd and 4th movies will be one of the few instances where a complete overhaul of the story would result in something much better than the books.

JGS

Banned
9401First of all, it's "you live". Singular, 2nd person, present simple tense.
First of all, I suck at spelling to begin with and particularly when I'm on an Iphone. I fix them as I get them. Otherwise, this is going to be a constant annoyance for you. I am beyond cure.

Not the point. The point was regarding notoriety. Battle Royale has cult following niche genre film/story written all over it when not discussing Japan. It is a genre film- a genre made popular by the likes of the Roman Empire, Bloodsport, Running Man, Death Race, etc... It is not a wholly original story so there's no reason to think that Collins just HAD to read Battle Royale to come up with the centuries old concept of people battling each other for the state's benefit.

I'm just going to say it. The author of Battle Royale had to have read Stephen King's story from the 70's. The similarities are just too uncanny.

Seriously, the setup and the premise is nothing like Battle Royale's and that's solely by reading the synopsis. From what I understand, they don't even focus on one character. I can't imagine things coming together enough to justify the cloniness in the whole movie. End of discussion on that until a list of similarities come out beyond kids are in it and some of them die. That certainly explains 2 minutes of it and nothing more as your statement verifies.
catfish said:
85% on RT and a massive box office?
They could film it exactly the same way and it be a hit again. The notion that Hunger Games needs a better director to be fixed is silly. Them not getting Ross back is a setback.
TheYanger said:
This just means that Collins must be a diehard American translation Manga fan. amirite?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I just want Katniss to face the audience during the victory tour, scan the audience, and blow up some heads real good.

Daft_Cat

Ok, I forgot that part. I remember the last winner being broadcasted on TV (freaky little girl).

However, I don't think Hunger Games books are a commentary of modern reality shows. Collins did not go that far.

There's still a voyeur element to both; in both stories, they're being watched and manipulated for the entertainment of either the teacher (Battle Royale), or the world at large (Hunger Games).

We've been over that. This thread is now about the possibility of the guy who did Videodrone doing Catching Fire.

Off that list, I'd be much more excited for Alfonso Cuaron. His direction, plus the cinematography in Children of Men would do wonders for a Hunger Games sequel. It's similar enough to what Ross was going for in terms of the handheld quality, except far more artistically refined and beautiful. In other words, it would be a clear improvement, which is what a sequel aims to do, right?

Cronenberg doesn't strike me as as fascinating a choice, considering his style would have to be restricted to a PG13.

Why does Cronenberg keep getting shortlisted for these young adult films? He was also rumored for the last Twilight film a while back.

ZoddGutts

Last I saw BR was 8 years ago and I loved it. Watched it again over the weekend and man was it cheesy. People are so defensive about BR these days that I wonder if they're remembering it accurately.

Maybe it was because I watched the Director's cut. I think it added a bunch of lame flashbacks.

BR is cheesy, violent and fun. The Hunger games won't hold up because it's a mediocre film that tries hard to be deep when it really isn't. Doesn't help the action scenes are shit. Maybe the novel was good but the movie sure as hell wasn't. BR Movie, Novel and Manga are all great though.

effzee

Wow it's one thing to dislike a movie, I didn't even like it too much, but you dudes are so butt hurt that the movie is sucessful and shares a similar story with a Japanese obscure film.

Get over it already.

Kusagari

There is no reason to believe that a middle aged woman would or should have heard of Battle Royale.

The concept of Battle Royale isn't some awe inspiring thing nobody could think up on their own.

Saw the first one today. It wasn't very good. Beyond the ridiculously stupid plot and nonsensical/unexplained character motivations it had bland art direction and uneven cinematography (I don't mean shaky cam, the film lacked a visual identity period).

So this is probably a good thing for the series.

I agree with everything you said.

The art direction for the rich people was all "Alice in Wonderland in the fuuuuuuture" while the art direction for the poor people was as simplistic and boring as you can imagine. I didn't really like either, but the latter at least felt somewhat real.

It really sucks that he's not coming back. I thought he did an outstanding job adding some much needed depth to a pretty shallow novel.

It's going to be hard to find someone who can replicate that, especially when the next two books will need an extremely deft hand during the adaptation process. I'm afraid they'll end up getting a Chris Columbus-style hack who will do an absolute shit job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom