• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Ross tells Lionsgate to sit on it. NOT directing Hunger Games sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/gar...ger-games-2-catching-fire-lionsgate-in-shock/

BREAKING… Lionsgate executives and reps around Gary Ross for weeks have expressed confidence that The Hunger Games director would helm the second installment of the book trilogy, Catching Fire. They expected the deal to go down right after Easter weekend. And they even went so far as to privately deny an Internet report that Ross had told the studio at the start of last week that he would not helm the sequel because he didn’t want to repeat himself. Instead, as a Lionsgate exec now tells me, “I am in shock.” Here is the statement by Gary Ross just released by the studio:

'Despite recent speculation in the media, and after difficult but sincere consideration, I have decided not to direct Catching Fire. As a writer and a director, I simply don’t have the time I need to write and prep the movie I would have wanted to make because of the fixed and tight production schedule.

I loved making The Hunger Games – it was the happiest experience of my professional life. Lionsgate was supportive of me in a manner that few directors ever experience in a franchise: they empowered me to make the film I wanted to make and backed the movie in a way that requires no explanation beyond the remarkable results. And contrary to what has been reported, negotiations with Lionsgate have not been problematic. They have also been very understanding of me through this difficult decision.

I also cannot say enough about the people I worked with: Producer Nina Jacobson, a great collaborator and a true friend; the brilliant Suzanne Collins, who entrusted us with her most amazing and important story; the gifted and remarkable Jennifer Lawrence whose performance exceeded my wildest expectations, and the rest of the incredible cast, whom I am proud to call my friends.

To the fans I want to say thank you for your support your faith, your enthusiasm and your trust. Hard as this may be to understand I am trying to keep that trust with you. Thank you all. It’s been a wonderful experience.'

Smellycat

Don't tell me that they are planning on releasing the sequels on yearly basis!! I freaking hate it when studios get greedy about a franchise and try to release the sequels as soon as possible, sacrificing the quality of the movies as a result.

600full-alfonso-cuaron.jpg

make the call

Don't tell me that they are planning on releasing the sequels on yearly basis!! I freaking hate it when studios get greedy about a franchise and try to release the sequels as soon as possible, sacrificing the quality of the movies as a result.

What was the excuse for the first movie, then?

And Alfonso Cuaron has more important things to make than wasting his time with this franchise. I will see the sequel for Simon Beufoy's involvement.

iammeiam

It's November 2013 at this point.

Really the second movie just needs a decent scriptwriter and a director who can handle the action in the second half better than it was handled in the first movie.

Dream Directors need to be pulled in for movies three (and four), to try and salvage the wreck that could come from trying to translate Mockingjay to screen.

marrec

Banned
I just heard an interview with this guy like 10 days ago and he was super confident that he would direct the next one.

LIAR!

Malajax

I don't think it's greed necessarily. If they wait too long, their young actors are going to be too old to portray their characters. No one wants to see recasts.

With Harry Potter it kind of worked, because the story was stretched over a longer period of time. Here, they have the space of about a year in terms of story. Even at the end of HP, some of those kids were looking pretty ridiculous as far as age goes. They don't want to miss their window.

At least, that makes sense to me. Though this is their new cash cow, so these things are probably minor in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure before this was announced that Lionsgate already had compiled a short list of other possible directors. They're not stupid.

bengraven

No fucking way should Cuaron be wasted on this series.

He needs to be doing my Wicked movie, based on the novel not the musical.

While I'm not at all familiar with the books, it seems to me like the kind of story that takes place over a small amount of time. Am I right on that? If so then you have to finish out the sequels in a timely manor or be forced to recast at least the younger actors.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
KinjiFukasakuPromoPhoto.jpg

Zombie Kinji Fukasaku unearthed; has a hearty laugh at the thought of morally binary PG-13 garbage, goes back to sleep.

No fucking way should Cuaron be wasted on this series.

He needs to be doing my Wicked movie, based on the novel not the musical.

He needs to get to work on the Children of Men sequel: Fathers of Children, where humanity is in turmoil due to overpopulation as a result of being cursed with immortality. Then the oldest living ancestor of humanity becomes gravely ill and possesses the only known virus that might be reintroduced into the population again to quell numbers. He is rushed toward the boat called 'The Yesterday.'

Zzoram

Fox can also screw the production schedule by using their option on Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique for the X-Men First Class sequel later this year or next year. They have first dibs on her.

fuenf

Fox can also screw the production schedule by using their option on Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique for the X-Men First Class sequel later this year or next year. They have first dibs on her.

they agreed to film X-Men in January, thats also why Catching Fire has to start shooting in August.

Saw the first one today. It wasn't very good. Beyond the ridiculously stupid plot and nonsensical/unexplained character motivations it had bland art direction and uneven cinematography (I don't mean shaky cam, the film lacked a visual identity period).

So this is probably a good thing for the series.

Saw the first one today. It wasn't very good. Beyond the ridiculously stupid plot and nonsensical/unexplained character motivations it had bland art direction and uneven cinematography (I don't mean shaky cam, the film lacked a visual identity period).

Real talk right here.

jett

D-Member
What a dumbass. This is easy money, and his work on Hunger Games was awful anyway. I don't believe for a second his "i don't have enough time for prep" line, he got too greedy.

fuenf

The bland look fits the books and his casting choices were pretty much perfect. It's not like that the film couldnt be better, it's just that some gun for hire director could screw things up even more. Guess Greengrass would feel right at home though ;).

bengraven

He needs to get to work on the Children of Men sequel: Fathers of Children, where humanity is in turmoil due to overpopulation as a result of being cursed with immortality. Then the oldest living ancestor of humanity becomes gravely ill and possesses the only known virus that might be reintroduced into the population again to quell numbers. He is rushed toward the boat called 'The Yesterday.'

Ugh, do we really need another sequel that retreads the first?

The entire time I was reading this, I kept thinking HANGOVER2HANGOVER2HANGOVER2.

;)

Ugh, do we really need another sequel that retreads the first?

The entire time I was reading this, I kept thinking HANGOVER2HANGOVER2HANGOVER2.

;)

Also, Syd the immigration officer makes an appearance. Only this time he's totally friendly and willing to help our heroes.

Cookie18

Zombie Kinji Fukasaku unearthed; has a hearty laugh at the thought of morally binary PG-13 garbage, goes back to sleep.

I was sad all over again when I remembered Fukasaku is no longer around to be able to do this. That'd probably piss off so many Hunger Games fans who scream that there's no similarity.

It really sucks that Ross pulled out but I can completely understand not wanting to be tied down to the series and be on a constant schedule.

Quentin Tarantino would be cool, obviously it'd never happen, if I remember correctly he was going to direct a Battle Royale remake if there was one.

I mean, honesty...This movie and like 75% of those Marvel comic book movies could have been directed by a computer program and we'd likely never know the difference

Pagusas

Elden Member
Please Please Please for the love of god call Alfonso Cuarón, PLEASE! The man MADE Prisoner of Azkaban the best damn movie of that year, and easily the best potter movie of them all.

iammeiam

That guy's first act would need to be berating his kid for a good, long time for what Battle Royale II became. Right now it's just a cautionary tale of the risks of director-swapping for the second movie in your kids-killing-kids franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom