• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews hit for THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE

Status
Not open for further replies.
A safe, serviceable, carefully crafted action drama in which the subversive seeds planted in the first story take welcome root.
Todd McCarthy, THR

Catching Fire" makes for rousing entertainment in its own right, leaving fans riled and ready to storm the castle.
Peter Debruge, Variety

... Francis Lawrence... adds some important new pieces to that group and expands the world in a way that doesn't throw out Ross's film, but that uses it as a way to get to something even better.
Drew McWeeny, HitFlix

The rare sequel that surpasses its predecessor, 'Catching Fire' tackles head-on the repercussions of the events of "The Hunger Games," deepening Collins' cinematic mythology while proving that teen-lit is more than capable of tackling complex ideas.
Todd Gilchrist, The Playlist

CATCHING FIRE bests THE HUNGER GAMES in every way. If the trend continues this series will be a political science fiction epic that will endure for generations
Devin lololol Faraci, Badass Digest

A ho-hum sequel that mostly sets the stage for hopefully more scintillating future chapters.
Tim Greerson, Screen International

As an adaptation of Collins's Catching Fire, Lawrence's film is close to faultless. As cinema, it's solidly engaging but consistently underwhelming.
Emma Didbin, Digital Spy

As an action movie, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is an improvement on the original. But as a social, political and pop culture satire, [it] is by definition a mixed bag.
William Bibbiani, Crave Online

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Looks like it covers more of the setting and world the characters live in in this one. That was something I wanted badly from the first movie. I'm mildly excited.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i enjoyed the first one enough to see this new one at a Matinee showing, so at least it isn't poop.

Neverfade

Good thing they knocked it out the park, cause if the source material is any indication, the next one is going to set a new bar for sucking buttholes.

Cool, I hope the movie delivers, the book had enough going for it to be a fun film. Looking forward to seeing this.

Good luck with that third book though, it was laughably bad.

TheExodu5

Banned
The first film took me by surprise. Some of the action sequences felt a bit silly (fireballs, dogs), but otherwise, it was a well acted and wonderfully paced film. I have moderately high hopes for this one.

Cipherr

The first film took me by surprise. Some of the action sequences felt a bit silly (fireballs, dogs), but otherwise, it was a well acted and wonderfully paced film. I have moderately high hopes for this one.

This is me to the letter. Sort of looking forward to this. I hope there is less of the 'love' angle though.

megamerican

The Hunger Games was one of the few movies that even Rifftrax could not make entertaining. The first one had such a blah tone and crappy production values. This one at least looks like a major studio movie.

Cash in movie franchise based off mediocre young adult novels is getting tepid reviews. I don't know how to cope with all these surprises.

I'm looking forward to it. The fact McWeeny, Gilchrist, and McCarthy are all positive on it is interesting, as those three aren't very similar in their tastes, I've found. I read Faraci's review earlier, and yeah, it seems a little extra-effusive, but dude doesn't just get enthusiastic for anything. There's usually something pretty interesting at the core of a film that sets him off. I may not like it AS MUCH as he does, but more often than not I end up seeing why he flipped the way he did.

It's not like the source material predisposes this thing towards being lesser-than. It's a dystopian sci-fi story about a corrupt culture so tilted towards the whims of the rich that the Olympics have become a murderous reality show. There's a reason the story is striking a chord with people, and it's tangential to the dismissive "Oooh, a badass girl with a bow and arrow Team Peeta lol Twilight" bullshit that gets thrown at it.

it's a story that could absolutely be improved by cinematic adaptation, as the books aren't all that well written. But the story has a lot of potential, and if it so happens Michael Arndt and Simon Beaufoy managed to draw that out in their script, Francis Lawrence is solid enough that maybe he translated it to screen pretty well? All the better for the rest of us. That means we got a good movie. There's not THAT many of them being made on scales this large.

Gorillaz

Well, I liked the first one. Kind of overhyped but it was good. Caught it on Netflix(?) or at a buds place. Idk bout spending money on it at the theaters

maybe this one might be different

As long as the "shaky cam" isn't overused like it was in the original, it'll be better.

For some reason I saw the original at a midnight release and had to sit in the very front row because there were no seats. By the end of the night I had a crook in my neck and a headache from the cinematography.

As long as the "shaky cam" isn't overused like it was in the original, it'll be better.

For some reason I saw the original at a midnight release and had to sit in the very front row because there were no seats. By the end of the night I had a crook in my neck and a headache from the cinematography.

Those reviews mention that Lawrence locked the camera down a LOT more than Ross did.

AlexBasch

What rating does it have?

Book spoilers
Because shit is fucked up in the second book and then there's the beheading of Finnick by the lizard things. I want to see the gore, dammit.

What rating does it have?

Book spoilers
Because shit is fucked up in the second book and then there's the beheading of Finnick by the lizard things. I want to see the gore, dammit.

PG-13. And that actually doesn't happen until book 3 (I'm pretty sure), so it will be movie four (book 3 is two movies, lol).

daveo42

Banned
I'm somewhat excited for this movie, but knowing that
Katniss becomes the bad guy by the end of the series
makes me less excited overall. The 3rd book was just not that good.

No matter what you think of The Hunger games movies it still shits all over Twilight. I tried to watch one of those movies and i just wanted to claw my brains out, so horrible.

Not really.

Book 3 spoilers
Coin arguably killed Prim and probably would have been just as manipulative as Snow. It was best that she never obtained any power.

Woahhhh spoiler alerts!
edit: edited spoilers in before i posted. Don't think I didn't catch you

Kidding, I don't care. The first movie was incredibly pedestrian, I don't have my hopes up for this being any better, but I know i'm not getting a Battle Royale sequel any time soon...

kazebyaka

Banned
No matter what you think of The Hunger games movies it still shits all over Twilight. I tried to watch one of those movies and i just wanted to claw my brains out, so horrible.
first twilight wasn't that bad, i mean it's awful but it's so cheesy that it's fun.

I know i have never read the books but how do you come up with that? Seriously im genuinely intrigued.

The Battle Royale comparisons were tired when the books were new. They haven't gotten any fresher since. I used to make em myself. Then I realized I sounded like a dipshit. :)

The fact teenagers are killing each other is the only thing they have in common, really. Otherwise, they're coming from pretty different places.

Is Battle Royale a better movie than Hunger Games? Yeah. Sure. But it's a pretty superficial comparison to make in the first place. Battle Royale has more in common with "Surviving the Game" or "The Warriors" than it does Hunger Games.

daveo42

Banned
Not really.

Book 3 spoilers
Coin arguably killed Prim and probably would have been just as manipulative as Snow. It was best that she never obtained any power.

It's not just that, but a culmination of a lot of choices she makes during the course of the book that contribute to this.

That may have been true about Coin, but that could be said about pretty much everyone that strives for power. It didn't help matters that Katniss' own attitude early on, as well as her willingness to become that symbol of hope that allowed her to so easily taken advantage of.

The lack of shaky cam alone guarantees this will be a more enjoyable film.

The Battle Royale comparisons were tired when the books were new. They haven't gotten any fresher since. I used to make em myself. Then I realized I sounded like a dipshit. :)

The fact teenagers are killing each other is the only thing they have in common, really. Otherwise, they're coming from pretty different places.

Is Battle Royale a better movie than Hunger Games? Yeah. Sure. But it's a pretty superficial comparison to make in the first place. Battle Royale has more in common with "Surviving the Game" or "The Warriors" than it does Hunger Games.
I think Battle Royale fans will probably want to stop with the comparisons now that it seems Catching Fire is a much better film than Battle Royale 2, lol.

The Hunger Games was the most interesting, best-made, ambitious and purely enjoyable American science-fiction film since The Matrix; Catching Fire‘s not only maintains that level of quality but builds on it. This is the middle bit, yes, but it also points out just how big — and how bold — the plan for this series is, and Catching Fire gives fans more than enough to travel hopefully even as they wait, expectantly, to finish the journey.

http://www.cinephiled.com/2013/11/12/review-catching-fire/

daveo42

Banned
The lack of shaky cam alone guarantees this will be a more enjoyable film.

I think Battle Royale fans will probably want to stop with the comparisons now that it seems Catching Fire is a much better film than Battle Royale 2, lol.

I'd hope they wouldn't compare anything from The Hunger Games to Battle Royale or vice versa, since BR2 isn't a part of the original story. Hell, the book is tons better than the movie ever was. Most of the comparisons I've made between the two comes from the book anyway. One was made specifically for young adults while the other was not.

It's not to say that The Hunger Games ripped Battle Royale's story, it's that the premise for both are very similar in nature, especially
in terms over themes of oppressive government control, the true nature of humans, and the use of an alternate history to tell a story.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Any word on when the second batch of reviews is coming?
Its been sitting at 95% on RT for a couple days now but reviews seem to have stopped coming in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom