• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews hit for THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed the first movie. Definitely glad this one is getting decent reviews.

I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed the first movie. Definitely glad this one is getting decent reviews.
Me too. Thought it was going to be Twilight quality. Was pleasantly surprised. Liked what they did with the world and characters. I would've liked it more if the shaky camera was limited to that first Cornicopia Scene because that's the only place where that worked.

shira

CATCHING FIRE bests THE HUNGER GAMES in every way. If the trend continues this series will be a political science fiction epic that will endure for generations
waaaat, its a tween book ffs

CATCHING FIRE bests THE HUNGER GAMES in every way. If the trend continues this series will be a political science fiction epic that will endure for generations

Really? How am I meant to take this review seriously?

Dat ending is going to be fun for film audiences to accept :)

I wasn't ready for (HUGE book 3 spoilers)
Prim's death AT ALL

;_;

It's not just that, but a culmination of a lot of choices she makes during the course of the book that contribute to this.

That may have been true about Coin, but that could be said about pretty much everyone that strives for power. It didn't help matters that Katniss' own attitude early on, as well as her willingness to become that symbol of hope that allowed her to so easily taken advantage of.

Yeah, but I wouldn't call her a villain. And I'm fairly certain she didn't want to become the Mockingjay in the first place, but rather, was gradually persuaded into doing it. It might have had something to do with Peeta on television, but again, I can't really remember specifics.

It's good to see some positive early reviews. I really enjoyed the book series and I'm hopeful this will be better than the first one, which I wasn't a huge fan of.

They should just stop the series right here. I don't really want to think about how bad the reviews will be for Mockingjay pt. 2.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just watched the movie, if you have read the book you're gonna be very pleased.

And the teasing begins
iAz9egicEvc7i.gif

In terms of books, I'd say Catching Fire > Mockingjay > > Hunger Games.

Katniss in the first book is so damn boring. In the last two books, she's in full panic mode.

Haven't read the book, really liked the first one. Is there some drastic change that might make me dislike this one?

No, if you liked the first one your head is gonna explode from the awesomeness of the second one. Be prepared, a lot of epic moments.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Went to watch the film yesterday.

Simply amazing. They left one scene out and that bothered me, but the omissions from the first movie were much worse.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
so is this the 2nd act a trilogy needs? Are there more than 3 movies planned or is this going to be a trilogy? For those that read the books is this building to epic finale or is the 2nd act the epic and the final act wrap up time?

Wow. Well, I'm excited. Haven't read the books (don't have any desire to), but I was thinking that this was going to be a letdown from the first.

Went to watch the film yesterday.

Simply amazing. They left one scene out and that bothered me, but the omissions from the first movie were much worse.

I think I know the scene you're talking about
The girls in their way to district 13, right?
They confirmed some time ago this scene wouldn't make into the movie

Brazil

I think I know the scene you're talking about
The girls in their way to district 13, right?
They confirmed some time ago this scene wouldn't make into the movie

Not that, actually. I knew that wouldn't be in.
Plutarch doesn't show the Mockingjay sign in his watch to Katniss.

mfiuza

Pretty good book adaptation. I just got home from the movie here in Brazil, and it was simply amazing.

The best thing for me was (dont click if you dont know the overall mid plot of the second book):
the games and the arena were incredibles, really true to what we see on the book

So maybe this one isn't the absolutely boring first movie? Because that would be great. Movie wasn't poorly acted, and it looked nice, but man the first movie just dragged.

Can't wait to see the movie... in some ways the first movie out shone the book in so many ways but in others it didn't.

The 'arena' for Catching Fire has a lot to live up to if it wants to out shine the book.

In terms of books, I'd say Catching Fire > Mockingjay > > Hunger Games.

Katniss in the first book is so damn boring. In the last two books, she's in full panic mode.

I disagree, I felt like the writer just made her
way to weak in Mockingjay. After everything she's been through growing up and in the games, the panic and catatonic states she goes into are just boring. I hope they really tone that shit down. The events of Mockingjay are great however, and if they can get her character just right it will be awesome. The way she shuts down about Peter's capture and obvious torture and mind control just gave me the shits - it should have made her angry not guilty

Brazil

I still can't get over how great the final shot is.

I hate that they decided to split Mockingjay in two :(

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Not that, actually. I knew that wouldn't be in.
Plutarch doesn't show the Mockingjay sign in his watch to Katniss.

Oh, I wonder why they didn't put that in

Road

My opinion is probably a spoiler for people who haven't read the books, so highlight it at your own cost:

The first 2 hours are just a repeat of the first movie, except we have already seen it and it adds nothing different. Result? Terribly boring, "kill me now" sensation

Then they decide to advance the plot in the last 10 minutes. Finally...

Overall, the movie has the same feeling as the first one, so if you didn't like that, I'm not sure you'll like this.

Mudkips

Banned
This opens on Friday, by my theater has showings on Thursday. I'm not talking 12:00 AM Friday, or 11:59 PM Thursday. 8:00 PM Thursday on 4 screens.

When did pre-midnight showings become a thing? I'm glad I have the option, but this isn't the first time I've seen this in my area, with absolutely no marketing push behind it. It's like they just have a different date than everyone else.

Somnia

This opens on Friday, by my theater has showings on Thursday. I'm not talking 12:00 AM Friday, or 11:59 PM Thursday. 8:00 PM Thursday on 4 screens.

When did pre-midnight showings become a thing? I'm glad I have the option, but this isn't the first time I've seen this in my area, with absolutely no marketing push behind it. It's like they just have a different date than everyone else.

8pm has become the norm lately over midnight.

The second book is one my favorites, so i am really excited about the movie.
The 'clock' game arena should lend itself well to soms amazing Visual effects.

I guess this might end up being good. They can show so many things that in the book was ignored to the reader. Example:
Peeta's rescue
The best thing about these movies is you escape katniss head. That alone will make mockingjay 1 and 2 better. Especially if they take the opportunity to rewrite some if it instead of trying to justify why the fuck katniss would be in some of those situations.

Tom_Cody

Just noticed this on RT. Currently at 100% among top critics. Got damn.

Christ, how much money is this going to make? The first film did $152M/$408M domestically and since that time Jennifer Lawrence won an oscar and popularity of the series has increased.

Vashetti

Banned
Just noticed this on RT. Currently at 100% among top critics. Got damn.

Christ, how much money is this going to make? The first film did $152M/$408M domestically and since that time Jennifer Lawrence won an oscar and popularity of the series has increased.

Yeah JLawrence's profile has exploded since the first film. I wholly expect Catching Fire to make more money.

The best thing about these movies is you escape katniss head. That alone will make mockingjay 1 and 2 better. Especially if they take the opportunity to rewrite some if it instead of trying to justify why the fuck katniss would be in some of those situations.

Absolutely agree. The books would have been much better if they were told from a third-person perspective, or at least told from multiple first-person perspectives.

Katniss is a hopelessly dull narrator, and because you're trapped in her head the entire series, the books aren't able to build a believable and compelling world.

Collins strikes me as a very lazy writer. Her choice to provide such a narrow perspective almost feels like an excuse to skip over any sort of extended exposition or description. Ultimately, it makes the world of Panem seem very shallow and artificial.

I thought the first movie was shockingly bad. I didn't laugh at the humor, didn't feel any tension, the action (what action??) didn't interest me at all, I couldn't care less about the relationships, characters, etc and more importantly I absolutely didn't understand what was the point of that weird world/society.

I couldn't connect with the movie at all. I am shocked the movie was such a critical and commercial success. And even if critics see in it something I don't, what the hell do regular moviegoers see in it that it ended up performing like a blockbuster????

To conclude it's probably the most overrated film I have seen!

Kimosabae

Banned
The premise and the rating of the first film was such a disconnect for me. This franchise needed to be rated R for it to sell me.

iammeiam

Something I haven't seen mentioned in reviews, so I'm starting to think might have been cut out: Can anyone who's seen this say whether or not
the recordings of previous Games, particularly Haymitch's, being watched for research
make it into the movie? Those would have been perfect for, like, webisodes or a sort of extended trailer, and I actually really want to see
the pretty but deadly meadow setting from Haymitch's game
so I'll be disappointed if it didn't get filmed.

I'm still bitter we missed the chance to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman fall into a punch bowl in the first movie (I know, he wasn't cast yet.)

Something I haven't seen mentioned in reviews, so I'm starting to think might have been cut out: Can anyone who's seen this say whether or not
the recordings of previous Games, particularly Haymitch's, being watched for research
make it into the movie? Those would have been perfect for, like, webisodes or a sort of extended trailer, and I actually really want to see
the pretty but deadly meadow setting from Haymitch's game
so I'll be disappointed if it didn't get filmed.

I'm still bitter we missed the chance to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman fall into a punch bowl in the first movie (I know, he wasn't cast yet.)

None os this made into the movie, but I think they'll explore this into the next two movies though.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Gf dragged me to the first one and was shockingly bored instead of actively hating the movie.

Hoping the reviews for this mean I'll be more into it.

genjiZERO

I really disliked the first book, but I thought the movie was good adolescent fun. Looking forward to seeing this one (have not read the book).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom