• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hunger Games - Full-Length Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

bengraven said:
It's been called Battle Royale

intrigued.jpg

meets Running Man

noddinggrin.gif

meets Twilight

vadernooooo.jpg

This is literally what went through my head as I read your post bengraven. This movie has perked my interest but all the Twilight comparisons have me hesitant to watch it. Twilight was a giant cesspool of poorly written, acted, and shot drivel. Thankfully I only saw it years later on HBO so I didn't waste any money just my valuable time and however many brain cells that turd killed.

bob page

Jhriad said:
intrigued.jpg

noddinggrin.gif

vadernooooo.jpg

This is literally what went through my head as I read your post bengraven. This movie has perked my interest but all the Twilight comparisons have me hesitant to watch it. Twilight was a giant cesspool of poorly written, acted, and shot drivel. Thankfully I only saw it years later on HBO so I didn't waste any money just my valuable time and however many brain cells that turd killed.
To be honest, I don't see the Twilight comparisons. It has a slight love story/triangle, but that's the extent of it. The mood is entirely different and it's definitely more mature.

JGS

Banned
This is the problem with the movie though. Lionsgate (not the best marketers in the world) knows it would be crazy not to try to get the Twilight crowd, but it causes a large portion to be turned off by it. Twilight crowd is bigger though.

That same Twilight crowd will be disappointed by the reality unless Ross actually has twisted the story to make a Twilight storyline fit.
x-Lundz-x said:
Trailer looks pretty awesome so I hope the books are as good as everyone says they are.
The books, although great, are flawed so be prepared.

With that said, I have rarely read a book series that defines page turner like Hunger Games. Once I started reading, it was very difficult to put down until it was over.

It's funny because I started reading it just to be polite to a co-worker and then I was asking for the rest of the series.

Cyan

Banned
Man, I was prepared for the worst after seeing a few of the reactions in this thread, but that wasn't too bad. Not wonderful, but not bad. Guess we'll see.

JGS said:
The books, although great, are flawed so be prepared.

With that said, I have rarely read a book series that defines page turner like Hunger Games. Once I started reading, it was very difficult to put down until it was over.
I'd agree on both points. Loved the books, but there were some definite problems, especially in the two sequels.

Doopliss

The book was bad but Jennifer Lawrence was good in Winter's Bone (basically playing the exact same character as Katniss...) so maybe this'll be alright? Maybe?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Jhriad said:
intrigued.jpg

noddinggrin.gif

vadernooooo.jpg

Nothing like Twilight and I feel like I'd be a pretty good judge on that since I've seen all the Twilight films and read the first book.

The love triangle in The Hunger Games is there, but it's not overbearing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I liked Hunger Games although I could've done without the YA trappings and Katniss being a sociopath.

That said the trailer looks really cheesy.

Hmm, trailer just looks ok, but I enjoyed the first book a fair bit and my wife love it. So I'll be in for watching this unless the reviews are horrible. Gotta agree with how the books went downhill though. Seems like the concept for the first really just worked the best, and the third was just terrible.

Twilight comparison is a bit unfair though. The movie looks a bit that way but the book really doesn't have much in common with Twilight.

For all the flaws this book has I must note that young adult fiction seems way better than it was in the early 90s when I was growing up. We used to all read crap like R.L. Stein seriel novels. I'd take anytype of Hunger Games, Uglies or Potter series before any of those books.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring it, but I really don't understand GAF's adoration towards Battle Royale. I thought it was a boring drek.

Gilgamesh

Funky Papa said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring it, but I really don't understand GAF's adoration towards Battle Royale. I thought it was a boring drek.
Agreed. I watched the movie and read the manga wasn't impressed by either. The former was a mildly entertaining gore-fest and the latter was much the same but dragged on for what seemed like eternity.

It's a shame this series is garnering so many Twilight comparisons. The only similarity is that it's a YA novel with a love triangle. Hardly exclusive to Twilight.

Funky Papa said:
FWIW, I always found the film awful and the original novel pretty damn good.

wenis

Scullibundo said:
Oh god this just reminds me that they're e turning Ender's Game into one of these shitty summer movies for teens. :(

but this book is meant for teens?

so what they should have done for this franchise is made The Hunger Games for babies!

Scullibundo said:
Oh god this just reminds me that they're e turning Ender's Game into one of these shitty summer movies for teens. :(

its actually being made this time around?

give it to alfonso cuaron for the love of god.

Zyzyxxz

Funky Papa said:

Because its from Japan, the land of animu and video games!

Felt the same, characters were dumb and so cliche of Japanese archtypes.

Saw this on a facebook post. Immediately turned to saying this was a blatant Battle Royale rip off which I was then informed Battle Royale is a rip off of the Running Man......Is Battle Royale really as similar to Running man as this new movie is to BR??

Wow, I'm kind of dissapointed. In my head, the Capital didn't look so... meh. It was a bright and vibrant place, with a sort of gloom hanging over it. I don't know how to describe it... If I could draw, I would totally draw it out and post it up. ;_;
And I don't really like how she was like screaming, "I VOLUNTEER!" And then she just got all calm. I don't know. It just seemed wrong.
Probably gonna see it anyway.

Kusagari

Funky Papa said:

I think the novel and manga are both better than the movie.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Funky Papa said:
Read the book.

bengraven

bob page said:
To be honest, I don't see the Twilight comparisons. It has a slight love story/triangle, but that's the extent of it. The mood is entirely different and it's definitely more mature.

The reason some people, including me, compare it to Twilight is because it's written in first person by a bipolar girl who one minute decides she's going to be independant and the next she's pining over one of the boys.

The difference is the first thing I said: she never jumps off a cliff because she's obsessed with a man. The man are more obsessed with her. She's just doing her own thing and upset at times that the other men keep fighting over her.

Which makes her >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bella.

Cyan

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
Saw this on a facebook post. Immediately turned to saying this was a blatant Battle Royale rip off which I was then informed Battle Royale is a rip off of the Running Man......Is Battle Royale really as similar to Running man as this new movie is to BR??
I don't think so. But it's a bit silly to call either a blatant ripoff. Gladiatorial combat as reality show isn't so spectacularly original that the stories couldn't have been conceived independently.

Cyan

Banned
commedieu said:
Seems like people on YT are diggin it... \m/
Sure, but those people are the aforementioned Twilight crowd. They'd be shrieking in excitement whether it was amazing or terrible.

wenis

Replicant said:
Looks too cheesy and teenage-angsty for this kind of film. I expect more visceral shocks and gore like Battle Royale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OYdKM2oys8) but I guess that went out of the window with the PG-13 rating. And I'm just not digging the casting at all. Wish they had the guts to cast younger actors.

Besides the final moments of the book, it wasn't overtly gory and disgusting. It already read like a pg-13 novel.

KingGondo

Banned
I just finished reading the book and thought it was mediocre.

Good page-turner, but a lot more could have been done with the concept. I didn't feel particularly compelled to pick up the second book when I was done, to be honest.

I'll probably go see this with my wife, though--she's absolutely in love with the books.

bengraven said:
The reason some people, including me, compare it to Twilight is because it's written in first person by a bipolar girl who one minute decides she's going to be independant and the next she's pining over one of the boys.

The difference is the first thing I said: she never jumps off a cliff because she's obsessed with a man. The man are more obsessed with her. She's just doing her own thing and upset at times that the other men keep fighting over her.

Which makes her >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bella.
I'd agree with this. Although I didn't really feel it in the first book. Definitely in the last two.

commedieu

Banned
Cyan said:
Sure, but those people are the aforementioned Twilight crowd. They'd be shrieking in excitement whether it was amazing or terrible.

Not all. You have fans of the book, telling other people to not start "team peta" etc... things because twl is lame. I'm just saying, seeing 90% of negative comments here, watching the trailer, then seeing the yt fanbase getting 'chills' over it, is just interesting. I expected to see a lot more hate, according to this thread.

Cyan

Banned
Harry Potter said:
I'd agree with this. Although I didn't really feel it in the first book. Definitely in the last two.
I get the feeling the publishers pushed the author to play up the love triangle stuff in the later books.

I mean, it was sort of set up in the first book, but never really followed through on in any way. She was all about survival and shit, not about ZOMG boys!

Scullibundo said:
Yep. Just watch them turn Petra into a love interest.

They've already said that Peter is now a complete psychopath through and through. :/

If i remember the characters right, I always felt she kinda was a love interest only Ender was too young to really realize that.

Peter being a psychopath is much more disheartening. He's a really complex character

wenis said:
Besides the final moments of the book, it wasn't overtly gory and disgusting. It already read like a pg-13 novel.

I always kind of was a little grossed out by the book descriptions because they were fairly indepth, like the trackerjacker deaths or the muttation torture. There's also decapitations, melting by laser, etc in the later books.

Amagon

The trailer looks alright. Gonna have to get a start on reading the books before the movie comes out. Been meaning to for a while now.

Koodo

Banned
The trailer is quite good, and a bit relieving since it completely ignored the love triangle and focused on the sci-fi aspect of the story. Maybe they're actually staying true to the source material.

Liam Hemsworth and Lenny Kravitz look terrible. The former in particular is very unfortunate considering the amount of screen time he'll get throughout the franchise. Ugh. Everyone else looks OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom