• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catching Fire finds a director

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR11...ews&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1349376/

Francis Lawrence has closed his deal to direct Lionsgate's "Catching Fire," two weeks after the studio offered him the gig.

Lionsgate is planning to shoot the movie starting in the fall for a Nov. 22, 2013 release date. "The Hunger Games" director Gary Ross ankled the sequel on April 10, citing a "fixed and tight production schedule" as his key reason for exiting.

Fox is planning to start its "X-Men: First Class" sequel in January with "Hunger Games" star Jennifer Lawrence -- no relation to Francis Lawrence -- committed to the superhero pic.

Suzanne Collins' "Catching Fire" story features a special
edition of the Hunger Games every quarter-century in which tributes are "reaped" from the victors of past games. Among the key new characters is Finnick, a combatant in the second book who leads a revolt against the Capitol, and the head Gamemaker in the second book who turns out to be working stealthily for the uprising.

"Slumdog Millionaire" screenwriter Simon Beaufoy is crafting the "Fire" script.

"It is truly an honor and a privilege to bring 'Catching Fire,' the second chapter of Suzanne's beloved trilogy, to the big screen," Lawrence said in a statement. "I fell in love with the characters, the themes and the world she created and this chapter opens all of these elements up in such a thrilling, emotional and surprising way."

Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Lenny Kravitz, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland, Toby Jones, and Woody Harrelson will return in their roles. The film will be produced by Nina Jacobson's Color Force with producer Jon Kilik.

Lawrence, a native of Austria, broke into show business as a music video director and landed his first feature gig on 2005"s "Constantine." He then directed "I Am Legend" and "Water for Elephants."

Lionsgate has not set the release dates for the final two films in the franchise, based on the concluding "Mockingjay" tome in Collins' trilogy.

Lawrence is repped by CAA and 3 Arts.

quote change. Actually read it again and yeah, huge spoilers. LOL varietytroll.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Related to my baby-boo?

EDIT: I Am Legend is amazing.

zeitgeist

HUGE SPOILERS in that article. Just a warning to anyone.

I would have been pissed if I read it without reading the book first.

.GqueB.

Banned
Lol, why are there so many spoilers in this article. It literally spoils just about everything from books 2 and 3.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I am disappointed.

What more does Tyler Perry need to do to show his devotion?

I'll give FL this. I really always wanted to see waterforelephants as it looks fantastically shot and had shades of carnivale to its look. I really quite enjoyed Constantine but I am legend is uneven. The directors cut (?) with the alternate ending is better than theatrical.

*edited OP/spoilers for some of you

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I want that nude scene in the movie

daffy-fap.gif

Solo

Also, Francis Lawrence is no Gary Ross. Not even fucking close. The chances of this being good have taken a big nosedive.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Also, Francis Lawrence is no Gary Ross. Not even fucking close. The chances of this being good have taken a big nosedive.

Well, the material he'll be working with is much better than the material Ross had for the first film.

Tom_Cody

Jena Malone has been cast as Joanna Mason.

caNTk.jpg

There are a few major new roles in Catching Fire and industry sites have been closely following the casting process. Joanna Mason is one of those roles and it has finally been cast.

Jena Malone was my top choice as she is clearly the best actress among the names that had been tossed around. Separately I have had had a crush on her since my childhood (we are basically the same age), so she was a sentimental favorite for me as well.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jena-malone-catching-fire-tribute-hunger-games-344580

Dicer

Banned
Jenna Malone has been cast as Joanna Mason.

caNTk.jpg

There are a few major new roles in Catching Fire and industry sites have been closely following the casting process. Joanna Mason is one of those roles and it has finally been cast.

Jena Malone was my top choice as she is clearly the best actress among the names that had been tossed around. Separately I have had had a crush on her since my childhood (we are basically the same age), so she was a sentimental favorite for me as well.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jena-malone-catching-fire-tribute-hunger-games-344580

That is the ugliest smile I have ever seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom