• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Ross tells Lionsgate to sit on it. NOT directing Hunger Games sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
I agree with everything you said.

The art direction for the rich people was all "Alice in Wonderland in the fuuuuuuture" while the art direction for the poor people was as simplistic and boring as you can imagine. I didn't really like either, but the latter at least felt somewhat real.
I read some reviews that said the same thing, but Alice in Wonderland was exactly what was supposed to be the reaction. I don't think they went far enough honestly although it was better than the trailers appeared.
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu is the perfect choice for a sequel that will depress the hell out of everyone.
That would make him perfect for Mockingjay. I'm not really a fan of his though.

This reminds me of a joke:

Jules: You know what they call a "Hunger Games" in Japan?
Brett: No.
Jules: Tell 'em, Vincent.
Vincent: A "Battle Royale."
Wow it's one thing to dislike a movie, I didn't even like it too much, but you dudes are so butt hurt that the movie is sucessful and shares a similar story with a Japanese obscure film.

Get over it already.
I'm pretty sure Battle Royale falls under the definition of a cult classic.

JGS

Banned
It's definitely not obscure in Japan and my arguments here don't mean to minimize what I assume is a great movie. I think the two can easily co-exist in the same genre without wasting time whining about similarities.

A cult classic still wouldn't be known by Collins and word of mouth on that book/movie is not nearly strong enough to wager that anyone in the writing world had heard of it before they heard of blood sports in general.

I'm pretty sure Battle Royale falls under the definition of a cult classic.

I'm pretty sure cult classics can be simultaneously huge within a certain group, but still be largely unknown to the general public.

And are we really still having this debate? I liked Battle Royale and feel HG shares a lot with it, but I don't think BR is so hugely innovative that no one else could have written a similar concept. You may as well argue that BR is Running Man because they're both about people forced to fight to the death against their will. But of course that would be ignoring all the differences within the two films.

HG was a decent, enjoyable film. I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it as much as I did BR had I not watched BR as a 15 year old and HG as a 25 year old.

Looks like I am Legend director Francis Lawrence is going to direct.

http://collider.com/catching-fire-francis-lawrence/160521/
Per Heat Vision, Lawrence will receive an offer to direct Catching Fire this afternoon. The choice isn’t exactly surprising, as Miller was busy prepping his next feature, the drama Foxcatcher starring Steve Carell and Mark Ruffalo, for a December start date. Moneyball was my favorite film of 2011, so I would have absolutely loved to see Miller tackle Catching Fire. The problem with the sequel is that Lionsgate is moving forward with an incredibly rushed pre-production schedule. Filming has to begin in August so that star Jennifer Lawrence is wrapped before moving on to the X-Men: First Class sequel in January. Moreover, the studio has a prime November 2013 release date to make.

I enjoyed I Am Legend but just the fact they have to go with their back up to the back up choice and rush pre-production signals a terrible sequel. Sucks because I really think the 2nd book is the best and had the best chance to be a great movie.

To be fair, the first film didn't exactly scream long pre-production period. Plus they already have the script from Simon Beaufoy - which is the only reason I'll be giving it a chance.

I didn't like the first one but a new director could turn things around. The first one wasn't terrible, just kind of sloppy and forgettable but the potential was there.

effzee

To be fair, the first film didn't exactly scream long pre-production period. Plus they already have the script from Simon Beaufoy - which is the only reason I'll be giving it a chance.

Well yeah a good script is the most important element but a rushed production makes me shudder.

Who is directing X-Men first class part II?

JGS

Banned
I didn't like the first one but a new director could turn things around. The first one wasn't terrible, just kind of sloppy and forgettable but the potential was there.
They are going to look for a director that mirrors the first as much as possible because it mirrored the books as much as possible.

They may get rid of the shaky cam (Catching Fire is not as chaotic anyway), but the look of the film will be similar because that's what made money.

They are going to look for a director that mirrors the first as much as possible because it mirrored the books as much as possible.

For me it was the bland art direction and how the film lacked a coherent visual identity. I'm totally fine with shaky cam, in fact I dig it most of the time so that wasn't really the problem.

I also hope it has a better story. The story in the first one was just awful and lacked any real surprises or hooks.

Zabka

I liked the first movie but I can't imagine this movie not sucking. On the other hand...

nkhhS.jpg

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The art direction in The Hunger Games was terrible. I didn't see Water for Elements, but the trailer suggested it was at least visually interesting.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
As predicted, they went with complete averageness.

::points to tag::

Hopefully, they're saving Cronenberg for Mockingjay. I haven't read the third book yet, so I can't comment on the quality of it, but I just want Cronenberg to have his stamp on the series.

::grabs popcorn, waits for jett to reply::

Hopefully, they're saving Cronenberg for Mockingjay. I haven't read the third book yet, so I can't comment on the quality of it, but I just want Cronenberg to have his stamp on the series.

You would be just as likely to get the next Hunger Games movie from Kubrick.

jett

D-Member

You can point to my tag all you want but it's easier to point to Lawrence's filmography to prove myself right.

I really didn't enjoy the movie terribly. Really poor character development and I feel they didn't utilize the setting well enough. The opening of that movie just draaaaaagged. So really this should be a blessing.

Lawrence is a good director, I really loved I Am Legend (even though CG for the infected could have been better if appropriately planned), Constantine was good I thought, haven't seen Water For Elephants but looks like that one has some good critics.

He has a strong visual sense, which I think will work better for the sequel than Gary Ross. Btw, the pilot for Touch was beautifully shot. Very confident about the choice + who really thought that Cuaron or Cronenberg would actually direct this?!

JGS

Banned
Have no issues with the choice. As expected, they played it a bit safe with a director that will follow the script and not necessarily tag his own vision to the film- something they have no financial reason to do.

He's good with visuals too (All those music videos & Legend looked great).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom