• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hunger Games - Full-Length Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It effectively shows the impossible end result.

It won't matter to people who haven't read the book, and it is a known fact for people who have, so there's no problem, it's just funny.

Yeah my girlfriend and I were amused by it. The original trailer too. That trailer had so much of the book in a short amount of time.

I hope they can take the movie series to the last book, and maintain the serious adult tone.

meh-facebook-button.jpg

jett

D-Member
I gave the book of a chance but couldn't get through more than a few dozen pages of the awful writing. Couldn't stand it. Movie looks all right, Gary Ross gives me hope for quality.

effzee

One quibble: I'm kind of annoyed by the fact that Katniss and Peeta don't speak with a more Appalachian/Southern type of accent, given the location of District 12. I assumed that was one of the reasons they cast Lawrence - because she has experience playing a poverty-stricken rural teenager.

I just finished the series and was toying around with the possible areas for the other Districts.

So from the text we know
the Capital is around the Rockies right? And District 12 is a part of the Appalachian region. I am imagining District 13 to be Washington D.C.

Centuries old underground bunkers, mazes, and areas to store weapons. Any thoughts?

Also am I in the minority here who liked the 3rd book better than the 2nd? First book is the best, but I felt the 2nd book shoehorned another set of games in simply because that was the big appeal of the first book. Its as if she was building up to the rebellion but then thought "this might not be interesting enough lets throw in another set of games!". Seemed to distract from the main theme of the series which I felt from book 2 should have been the focus.

And even though I enjoyed the series, I just feel it could have been so much more. We know next to nothing about the districts. The
rebellion and eventual downfall of the Capital
happens to fast. It just actually happens. I would have loved for book 2 and 3 to be a good 200+pages longer to build up the back story about the Dark Days, the other districts, the rebels within in the Capital, and obviously a lot more about
District 13.

I found the whole idea about
District 13 to be the most fascinating. How they lived on, survived, and were basically in a proxy fight this whole time. I also loved that she flirted with the idea that District 13, if given full power under Coin's leadership, would be no better than the Capital. They already control every aspect of their citizen's lives with the lunch schedules, training, portions, bunkers, and Coin's solution to conflict was another set of games.

Katniss and Peeta see this, Gale has no problems with it, and I felt it set up a great scenario with the only logical conclusion that the author did follow through on (Coin dead, Gale leaves, and Peeta and Katpiss get together). But again it could have been so much more developed. Anytime Collins strayed from the main plot she would immediately come back to it as if going off topic to add more meat to the bones would take away from the appeal.

So IMO book1>3>2.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The previous trailer was better, but holy shit, am I hyped for this.

I've read all the books and it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about, haha.

I still don't get it. Do you guys mean the poster spoils (probably massive spoiler)
the winners of the game and that's it?
or am I missing somthing?

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

‘The Hunger Games’ Doing ‘Twilight’ Saga-Big Online Advance Ticket Sales

By NIKKI FINKE | Thursday February 23, 2012 @ 2:43pm PSTTags: Fandango advance ticket sales, Hollywood box office, Lionsgate, The Hunger Games

BREAKING… Huge online movie ticket seller Fandango Wednesday began advance sales for Lionsgate’s upcoming thriller The Hunger Games. And already it’s exclipsing Twilight Saga: Eclipse as Fandango’s biggest first day advance ticket-seller in its 12-year company history. Hundreds of Hunger showtimes are already sold out for the March 23 opening.

Even though the film doesn’t open for another month, the first-day ticket sales yesterday broke the previous first day advance ticket-seller record held by Eclipse on May 14, 2010. ”The Hunger Games is off to a fantastic start,” Rick Butler, EVP/General Manager of Fandango said in today’s statement. “Yesterday we saw the biggest first day advance ticketing sales in our company’s nearly 12-year history – which is especially impressive for a March release and a non-sequel.” Fandango says theater owners are continuing to add new showtimes. Looks like Lionsgate has a humongous hit on its hands, although the box office could always prove frontloaded because of the advance ticket sales.

JGS

Banned
I just finished the series and was toying around with the possible areas for the other Districts.

So from the text we know
the Capital is around the Rockies right? And District 12 is a part of the Appalachian region. I am imagining District 13 to be Washington D.C.

Centuries old underground bunkers, mazes, and areas to store weapons. Any thoughts?

Also am I in the minority here who liked the 3rd book better than the 2nd? First book is the best, but I felt the 2nd book shoehorned another set of games in simply because that was the big appeal of the first book. Its as if she was building up to the rebellion but then thought "this might not be interesting enough lets throw in another set of games!". Seemed to distract from the main theme of the series which I felt from book 2 should have been the focus.

And even though I enjoyed the series, I just feel it could have been so much more. We know next to nothing about the districts. The
rebellion and eventual downfall of the Capital
happens to fast. It just actually happens. I would have loved for book 2 and 3 to be a good 200+pages longer to build up the back story about the Dark Days, the other districts, the rebels within in the Capital, and obviously a lot more about
District 13.

I found the whole idea about
District 13 to be the most fascinating. How they lived on, survived, and were basically in a proxy fight this whole time. I also loved that she flirted with the idea that District 13, if given full power under Coin's leadership, would be no better than the Capital. They already control every aspect of their citizen's lives with the lunch schedules, training, portions, bunkers, and Coin's solution to conflict was another set of games.

Katniss and Peeta see this, Gale has no problems with it, and I felt it set up a great scenario with the only logical conclusion that the author did follow through on (Coin dead, Gale leaves, and Peeta and Katpiss get together). But again it could have been so much more developed. Anytime Collins strayed from the main plot she would immediately come back to it as if going off topic to add more meat to the bones would take away from the appeal.

So IMO book1>3>2.
I liked 3 better than 2 as well but pretty sure we're in the minority
since 2 is based on another set of games & the Capital

Anyway, I think you are largely correct about the districts accept I'm not sure of
13. 11 is the South and I think is quite a bit bigger (As is 10 which I'm assuming is the midwest)

AndyD

aka andydumi

I agree. I also rank them 1>3>2. I think it would have been just fine to go 1 to 3 directly in terms of general plot. Or fold parts of 2 into the start of 3.

Anyway, I think you are largely correct about the districts accept I'm not sure of
13. 11 is the South and I think is quite a bit bigger (As is 10 which I'm assuming is the midwest)

3 gave me nightmares for a night or two. I prefer 2 over 3 though. And 1 probably over both of them. I did a weird thing where I read 1, then 3, then 2, so my experience is skewed. It just happened to work out that way for how the books were available at the library. I need to reread 1 before the movie though. And give the others a reread another time.

Love that moment.

Koodo

Banned
I've been so disappointed with the costumes, especially after seeing scans from that companion book. All the Capitol citizens look so uninspired and not outrageous as described in the book. The tributes during the ceremonies looked like they were heading to a prom, just a total facepalm.

Hoping this is due to the relatively modest budget and we'll get some real COUTURE FIREWORKS for #2.

That was great.

JGS

Banned
The Capitol is definitely the biggest disappointment. It's not like I imagined at all. This tells me that the outfits made for Katniss are going to be underwhelming too. Maybe they put the budget into that.

That clip sure represented the book nicely though.

.GqueB.

Banned
The Capitol is definitely the biggest disappointment. It's not like I imagined at all. This tells me that the outfits made for Katniss are going to be underwhelming too. Maybe they put the budget into that.

That clip sure represented the book nicely though.

Really? I thought it was a bit underwhelming. She did much more than that in the book that was worthy of their attention. Shot a rope, shot a light out and created sparks. She did things that were worthy of their attention. She didnt just hit a bullseye.

That looked terrible. There was no weight to what she did because she barely did anything to get their attention in the first place so that just came off as random.

JGS

Banned
Really? I thought it was a bit underwhelming. She did much more than that in the book that was worthy of their attention. Shot a rope, shot a light out and created sparks. She did things that were worthy of their attention. She didnt just hit a bullseye.

That looked terrible. There was no weight to what she did because she barely did anything to get their attention in the first place so that just came off as random.
That's true. I don't think it looked terrible still but there was definitely more build up to why she was angry.

iammeiam

I'm hoping there's more to the scene that got cut out--we go from Seneca sitting in a conversation while she's shooting at the target, to asking "Who ordered the pig?" at the buffet over and over really quickly.

Also it'll be sort of too bad if they leave out the guy falling in the punch bowl, since that's really the most memorable part of the scene for me.

.GqueB.

Banned
I'm hoping there's more to the scene that got cut out--we go from Seneca sitting in a conversation while she's shooting at the target, to asking "Who ordered the pig?" at the buffet over and over really quickly.

Also it'll be sort of too bad if they leave out the guy falling in the punch bowl, since that's really the most memorable part of the scene for me.

That character is also very important later on in the series (so far). I can't imagine they would cut that out.

Edit (for the bolded): And now that you mention it, I took another look and it did seem edited down. There's already an arrow in the target she hit the bullseye on (the first arrow she missed because the bow was too tight) and when she reached back for another arrow after the bullseye there's one less than there should be.

iammeiam

That character is also very important later on in the series (so far). I can't imagine they would cut that out.

YouTube comments claim, and Googling seems to back up, they haven't cast Plutarch at this point. Which I guess makes sense since (second book spoilers)
they're going to want a decent actor as Seneca's replacement given his role in events in the second movie, but wouldn't necessarily want to pay one to fall in a punchbowl in the first movie and do nothing else.

I'd take a random guy falling in the bowl even, at this point.

.GqueB.

Banned
YouTube comments claim, and Googling seems to back up, they haven't cast Plutarch at this point. Which I guess makes sense since (second book spoilers)
they're going to want a decent actor as Seneca's replacement given his role in events in the second movie, but wouldn't necessarily want to pay one to fall in a punchbowl in the first movie and do nothing else.

I'd take a random guy falling in the bowl even, at this point.

Yea same. Thats a pretty important part of that scene. Have to show the impact she had on them in some fashion.

I just finished the first book yesterday without even knowing they were making a movie on this book. All I got to say is i am SOOOO STOKED for this movie to hit. I'm going to start the second book tonight :)!

Just read the first book. Much better than any Harry Potter, fun stuff. I'm on board. If this is "replacing" Twilight in terms of tween film series in the spotlight, I look forward to it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just read the first book. Much better than any Harry Potter, fun stuff. I'm on board. If this is "replacing" Twilight in terms of tween film series in the spotlight, I look forward to it.

Glad to hear you liked it!

Look forward to Catching Fire. It's the best in the trilogy.

JGS

Banned
But I don't wait to be spoiled!

Ah, really? Most people I heard said it deteriorates book to book. Still gonna eventually check it out.

It does but only in a typical trilogy way. None of them are bad and I'm one of the few that likes the third one better than the second.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Best in the series huh? Well I am stoked to read it now. How does the third book stack up compared to the first one?

Most people see it as the worst in the series. I think so too, but I still really like it. The conclusion is pretty cool and satisfying, but the book's... Different from the others.

I can't think of a reasonable way to explain how without spoiling things. Just know that, if you like the characters in the first two books, you'll definitely enjoy Mockingjay.

But I don't wait to be spoiled!

Ah, really? Most people I heard said it deteriorates book to book. Still gonna eventually check it out.

The second book is fun. It is not as slow burn as the original one, but still exciting. I expect it to make the best movie of the three though.

Definitely.

I'm actually already looking forward to the casting, haha.

It will be the movie with the least amount of filler and the most action, that is for sure. It will basically start and not let up until the end. The movie I am the most worried about is Mockingjay, for obvious reasons.

Koodo

Banned
I think the best way to explain the disappointment of the third book without spoiling anything is by saying: the author avoids narrative way too damn much. Dear lord, major things would happen and Collins would just relegate it all to a one paragraph summary.

That being said, Mockingjay seems tailor made for a movie adaptation.

Best in the series huh? Well I am stoked to read it now. How does the third book stack up compared to the first one?

I'll put it this way.

I read the first book and had so much fun that I strongly, strongly encouraged all of the readers in my family (my wife, my brothers, my mother) to read the book immediately. I loved the first book. Of course, as literature, I found it pretty bad. But I had so, so, so much fun. I absolutely loved it. Loved it. Talked about it constantly with friends and colleagues.

I could not bring myself to read more than 25% of the third book. It's been the better part of a year and I've just been completely unable to make myself do it. I'll never read it. The third book isn't just garbage (they all are!) but boring shit.

I think the best way to explain the disappointment of the third book without spoiling anything is by saying: the author avoids narrative way too damn much. Dear lord, major things would happen and Collins would just relegate it all to a one paragraph summary.

That being said, Mockingjay seems tailor made for a movie adaptation.

The third book would have been so much better if many things were elaborated on. There were way too many instances of things being brushed away with minimal explanation.

Zzoram

That is some inflammatory, trollishly-written, pretentious criticism. What is some quality young adult literature in your esteemed opinion?

I don't know how good these books are but I think the Earthsea books are pretty good young adult books IIRC.

Amagon

Can't wait to see to see batshit craziness when the third movie comes out. There is no way that film gonna get any rating except Rated R.

Koodo

Banned
It needs to be R rated if they want to show the things that happen in graphic detail (and the book explained them in graphic detail).

But sacrificing PG-13 for a few minutes of gore is likely not going to happen.

Amagon

What? Of course it won't be R, hell the third book wasn't even an "R rated" book by any means.
Cmon, your telling me when the shit is hitting the fan at the end of the book, it wouldn't be R-rated?

I thought these were kids/teen books?
I wouldn't call it a kids book by any means and I'm not into that Harry Potter/Twilight horseshit by any as well. Read the first book, its good my dude.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Man, this movie seems to be really whipping the tweens into a fervor. I have a couple of younger cousins on FB and they're hyping this movie up like no tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom