• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 |OT| May the Odds Be Ever in Your Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

zclg801.jpg

Directed by: Francis Lawrence
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Julianne Moore, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jeffrey Wright, Willow Shields, Sam Claflin, Jena Malone, Natalie Dormer, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland

It's been three and a half years since the first Hunger Games... now it will all end until eventual spinoffs and reboots are released yay. This has the distinct honor of being Philip Seymour Hoffman's final film as well.

Trailer

WORLDWIDE RELEASE DATES

Opens tonight in a few territories, and in the US this Friday. Probably one of the quietest finales hype-wise, but I blame the lackluster response to Part 1 and Star Wars sucking up the hype for that. Reviews are pretty good, and here's the consensus.

With the unflinchingly grim Mockingjay Part 2, The Hunger Games comes to an exciting, poignant, and overall satisfying conclusion.

So yeah. Enjoy Jennifer Lawrence's final hurrah; I'm looking forward to seeing it next week myself.

pringles

Saw it tonight. Pretty good! Much better than Part 1. Some great action and a fairly satisfying end I thought.

I don't know how big PSH's role in this was supposed to have been, but I'm guessing much bigger. Sadly felt like an unfinished performance.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I need to make time to give Part 1 another shot. It out me to sleep the two times I tried watching it. I read the first book and Catching Fire, but not Mockingjay, so this is all new to me.

Yeah, I'm waiting for them to announce a prequel next year. You know they can't resist keeping the franchise going. Maybe Haymitch's games or something like that.

Chris R

Hope book readers report back on any changes made.

Not really a spoiler but I'll spoil it just in case...

I thought the final book was pretty terrible until the ending, so I guess as long as the ending is nailed I can sit through the actiony stuff that bored me to death when I read the book

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hoping they can do this well, I didn't care for the book ending, partly because Katniss is so boring in the books and you really never care about her.

Also because
the resolution to the romance plotline felt really tacked on and half assed.

Looking forward to more Woddy Harrelson and Donald Sutherland ham.

jelly

I liked the last page of the book.

Action was so nuts in the book it's hard to not roll your eyes but maybe entertaining visually in a film.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Sitting in the cinema at the moment, just waiting for it to start, about 10 mins to go.

Don't have high hopes for this as I feel this series has gotten progressively worse with each instalment.

jelly

Sitting in the cinema at the moment, just waiting for it to start, about 10 mins to go.

Don't have high hopes for this as I feel this series has gotten progressively worse with each instalment.

Haven't seen the third one yet but the first film missed so much between characters, I didn't care for it and Catching Fire did the games better while reflecting the book better.

Sulik2

I thought the second movie was really good, never saw Part 1. I hated the third book. Thought it was one of the worst pieces of literature I have ever read. If the second part of 3 gets decent reviews I might watch them both to see if they fixed the awful book.

I thought the second movie was really good, never saw Part 1. I hated the third book. Thought it was one of the worst pieces of literature I have ever read. If the second part of 3 gets decent reviews I might watch them both to see if they fixed the awful book.

Do yourself a favour and skip part 1 even if this one gets good reviews. You won't be missing much. It took me three attempts to make it through completely as it was incredibly boring. I too thought the third book was garbage and Part 1 seems to focus on the slowest and most mundane parts of that book.

rekameohs

Banned
I've only seen the films, and thought that the first and third were mostly crappy while the second was pretty great. I'll probably check this 'un out on the cheap later.

I really like the first two, the second especially is fantastic. Part #1 is the typical problematic part one splitting of something and it meanders at too many points. You've gone ahead and introduced some other cool people, but waste too much time underground or getting above ground, only to go underground again. Part #2 should deliver as a finale. I have no doubt.

Toa TAK

Banned
Seeing this tomorrow night. Zero hype, but my sister and I have seen each of these in theater so eh.

As long as it doesn't turn into more PEETA I'm okay.

Dazza

I liked part 1, but yes it's definitely a slower film, very good setup and characterization.

I'm looking forward to seeing the conclusion

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Oh this is coming out already?

Saw the first two films but have never been invested in the series that much at all. Still, kinda weird thinking how this was all the rage back when I was still in high school compared to now.

Zutroy

Saw it tonight as part of a double bill. I enjoyed it - a lot better than part 1. Pretty true for the most part with how the book goes (from what I can remember of the book).

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I still don't fully get why the final book was divided into two films, outside of financial reasons. Both films together are just over 4 hours and 20 minutes long, surely they could have trimmed a lot of the fat and melodramatic reaction shots out of the film to make it a solid 2 hour film, even 2 hours 20 minutes. Just felt very bloated and with little to no payoff.

Went to an advanced screening of this tonight. It was the last film I worked on (was a member of District 13) before moving from the east coast. They handed out cool Mockingjay pins and posters to everyone. It was fun!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
We rent out that chair at my work.

Went to an advanced screening of this tonight. It was the last film I worked on (was a member of District 13) before moving from the east coast. They handed out cool Mockingjay pins and posters to everyone. It was fun!
Nice! I'll keep an eye out for you.

I don't know which one is you

Seeing this on Friday!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't get why you'd
destroy your comfortable capital to stop a mob, which basically achieves the mob's goal, guaranteed

Hopefully it's better than the first 3. Personally I feel like the second film was clearly the best with mockingjay part 3 being by far the worst. It was just so damn boring.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I still don't fully get why the final book was divided into two films, outside of financial reasons. Both films together are just over 4 hours and 20 minutes long, surely they could have trimmed a lot of the fat and melodramatic reaction shots out of the film to make it a solid 2 hour film, even 2 hours 20 minutes. Just felt very bloated and with little to no payoff.

I was glad they split it up. Way too much happens in that last book. I think that the first book and film should have been everything leading up to the rebellion and the last two books be the rebellion.

jett

D-Member
Catching Fire was easily the best of these movies. I don't expect much out of Mockingjay Deux considering how utter shite the first part was and that this is simply the second half of an overstretched story, but I'll watch it just to get some conclusion out of this while business.

Symphonic

First part was better. Felt like this one suffered from "too many loose ends to tie up so fuck it lets just do this".

Action in it was great though, and all the special effects and cinematography were on par or better than the previous few.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's finally over.

This dreary-ass series ran its course with the third movie. This one felt shorter than the previous film, so that's a plus. The action scenes were pretty neat, I wish we had more of them because making the city as giant mystery box of death traps and monsters is great, and ended up being the most fun I had watching these movies. That tar was scary stuff.

I think the issue that I ultimately have with this series are the characters. Katniss, Peeta, and Gale all suck and I don't care to be bothered by them or their problems, especially Gale. Like, dude, JUST NOW you wanna hit that? Like, not anytime before you realized Hunger Games were an annual thing in your life? Lol so much fail. Peeta is a pity party. I was over yer ass minutes into the first movie. Bread, painting, and much lust for a girl I'm not even sure is into any of the dudes she's met.

Katniss is mopey, riddled with PTSD and all that and that's fine, but damn, she's not exactly engaging and she never quite strikes inspiration into me like the movies say she should beyond being a survivor thrust onto the world. She doesn't properly process anything. She gets one good moment here, akin to Catching Fire, but that's it. Every movie is her just running along all down and about.

These people are an issue to have as main characters because holy shit, literally EVERYONE else in these movies are so much more interesting. Give me more of Haymitch's backstory and dry humor. Hand down some more Effie and her slow realization of privilege compared to everyone else in her journey to help Katniss. Finnick brightens things up in these movies and his Aquaman trident. The camera crew, including Natalie Dorman, and the dude who can't talk. More of Snow (who's just the best).

At least James Newton Howard had that cool theme and Hanging Tree bit with JLaw. But that's it. Catching Fire is the best if the series, but at the end of the day the whole film series are exactly "Eh, it's aight." Not bad, but not good or great. Average through and through and I will never forgive mah sister for dragging me through these movies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Saw it last night, liked it but the majority of its issues come from problems that the book had

Brakke

Banned
Already have plans to see it this weekend. Read the Devin Faraci review and I'm not exactly looking forward to this now. I don't think I was really looking "forward" to it before the review anyway though. I liked the last movie but it really is kind of a grim, depressing aesthetic.

Tevious

So it's just better than part 1? Fuck it, I'll wait a year and catch it for free on Amazon or Netflix. Part 1 was so bad, I started doing house chores throughout it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Will try and watch this tonight but... in order...

Catching Fire > Hunger Games >>>> Mockingjay PT1

Let's see how this goes.

Just got back. I liked it. It was pretty faithful to the book, hit all the beats I thought it would and then some.
Some of the gorier deaths from the book were severely toned down of course.

I'm also in the minority I guess for someone who enjoyed the 3rd book. First half is pretty meh, but I liked the second half of it. There are lots of little moments in it that I always remember and which stuck with me like
the remaining team hiding out with Tigress, assassination of Coin, pod massacre, etc.

jrush64

Banned
Just got back. I liked it. It was pretty faithful to the book, hit all the beats I thought it would and then some.
Some of the gorier deaths from the book were severely toned down of course.

I'm also in the minority I guess for someone who enjoyed the 3rd book. First half is pretty meh, but I liked the second half of it. There are lots of little moments in it that I always remember and which stuck with me like
the remaining team hiding out with Tigress, assassination of Coin, pod massacre, etc.

I'm not going to watch this as I didn't like the book at all. MASSIVE, MASSIVE, MASSIVE Spoilers!!
How did Finnick die in this? Also Prim?

I found them pretty stupid and pointless in the book.

I'm not going to watch this as I didn't like the book at all. MASSIVE, MASSIVE, MASSIVE Spoilers!!
How did Finnick die in this? Also Prim?

I found them pretty stupid and pointless in the book.

I don't blame you. I can definitely see how someone could hate that book. HUGE spoilers!!
Finnick dies in the sewers. He is fighting off the mutts while everyone else escapes by ladder. Katniss looks down to see if he is coming up and at that moment he gets swarmed and they take him into the water while he screams her name (presumably because he wants her to put him out of his misery), so she turns on the self-destruct mode on the holo and tosses it towards him.

Prim is killed when fake supplies (which are really bombs) are dropped on the refugees at the capital. At first there is a huge explosion and Katniss is looking at all of the bodies and sees Prim. Prim looks at Katniss, but then there is another explosion which blows her up.

My partner and I saw it last night. Utter garbage. So goddamn boring and uninspired. I think the only one of these we enjoyed was Catching Fire.

Hex

Banned
Liked it alot, probably second best of the series.
First movie, MJ part 2, second movie, MJ part 1.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
It was horrible. Just no impact, dull, at least the ending (not that heavy epilogue shit at the end) was as decent as it was in the books, but everything before that? Ugh.

SUPER HOLA SPOILERS:
Finnick's death was much better, but Prim''s had no impact. It was all lost because the first bomb fell, then the medics appeared, then Katniss and Prim looked at each other, then boom. In the book, the way it was written, was more shocking than what we got here.

Loved Snow, and J.Law was showing some decent acting at times there. My final Hunger Games Ranking is

Catching Fire > Hunger Games >>>Mockingjay Pt2 > Mockingjay Pt1

SUPER HOLA SPOILERS:
Finnick's death was much better, but Prim''s had no impact. It was all lost because the first bomb fell, then the medics appeared, then Katniss and Prim looked at each other, then boom. In the book, the way it was written, was more shocking than what we got here.

Yeah, they really botched Prim's death.

mr-paul

I liked it, but didn't?

First two films were brilliant. Went into the first knowing NOTHING about it and loved it. Then read all the books. Found Mockingjay Pt 1 very boring and stretched out on first viewing when I saw it last year; then saw the new one as part of a double bill on Wednesday. They definitely work better as a whole, but they're just too long. It's tricky, because if it was just one film a lot would be cut out and it may have felt rushed, but seeing that every one of these YA films is having its finale split into two makes me think it's less of an artistic decision.

Mockingjay works better on paper, for sure.

Ending spoilers
Prim's death was the main thing I was disappointed about, it had too little impact. Maybe that's partly because I knew it was coming, but it was passed over too casually, despite Katniss then breaking down in tears when she returns to District 12.

Overall, these last two films have made me realise that although I like what Mockingjay did in terms of its themes, and its story, the first two books definitely are more entertaining.

Loved the ending.

PEETA FTW! THANK YOU FOR WINNING THE CATNISSBowl, Laughed so much when Gale conceded. Peeta got so hot in this as well.

Ending
Glad interim president was off'd she needed to stop using everyone and who would have even wanted another hunger games. She was worst than Snow

Cheebo

Banned
Movie was a dreary waste of time. It is no shock the box-office has been on a sharp decline since Catching Fire. The first 2 were so much fun. Sad to see Lawrence star in the meaningless drivel this franchise became. Franchise faded away with a whimper.

It's kind of shocking after other YA franchises tend to go up in attention, hype, and boxoffice with the finale. This is the only one of these I can think of where the opposite was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom