• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews starting to roll in for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Code_Link

Watched it. I haven't read the books or anything, but if the movie is any indication, this book didn't need to be split in two as the first half is pretty dull in comparison to the first two movies. The way they extended unnecessary scenes is proof that they could've just done a three-hour finale instead of a two two-hour movies.

Oh and Banks is awesome.

Watched it. I haven't read the books or anything, but if the movie is any indication, this book didn't need to be split in two as the first half is pretty dull in comparison to the first two movies. The way they extended unnecessary scenes is proof that they could've just done a three-hour finale instead of a two two-hour movies.

Oh and Banks is awesome.

This very accurately describes the first half of the last book. Sounds like they went for full on accuracy. As I said, can't wait for next fall.

Musician

I went ahead and read a plot synopsis for the last book.

All I can say is Holy Shit. Why do people read this? I've heard better story lines coming out of my four year old nephews mouth. Woe is me!

Woe I tell you!

All I can say is Holy Shit. Why do people read this? I've heard better story lines coming out of my four year old nephews mouth. Woe is me!

Woe I tell you!

it's pretty terrible. Luckily each of the books are quickly read. Finished all three of them in four days

Sojgat

Saw it today, and it was amazingly boring.

I really liked the last movie, but this one is just two hours of nothing.

cruets

Going to see this tonight. Not expecting much as the third book was crap. Just hope they surprise me and change the story some

rekameohs

Banned
It's weird, I thought the first one was straight up trash, but surprisingly liked the second quite a bit. I guess I'll see this one...

-griffy-

Banned

Woe I tell you!

The story is actually pretty interesting and what makes the books worth any kind of a read (I mean, come on, having a heavy emphasis on propaganda and political maneuvering in your climactic installment of your popular young adult novel series is incredibly fascinating). It's the prose and characterization getting in the way of the underlying story that often made it a chore to get through.

Saw it today, and it was amazingly boring.

I really liked the last movie, but this one is just two hours of nothing.

First movie was pretty dull to me. No real spark or identity. The second movie at least had a few interesting moments like the fog that boils your skin. But outside of a few scenes it also didn't have a strong central narrative or cast of characters capable of leading the story.

Chris R

Roommate saw it last night. He was wondering how they will fit the remaining 50 or so pages into a three hour film...

I also asked him about certain character developments and he said they didn't really occur :(

Spoilers:
according to him, the film doesn't even attempt to paint Gale in a negative light or really foreshaddow the things he'll do in part 2 :\

Gawge

Enjoyed it.

(Background: I thought the first film was pretty good, with reservations. I really enjoyed the second film, I thought it was great fun, interesting, exciting and fairly powerful).

(Vague and minor spoilers in the tags)

This doesn't hit the heights of the second film. It has pacing issues (i.e.
it feels padded in parts, and also has no clear narrative, because you know you aren't getting the 'big battle' - you just don't really know where it is going to end).

As in the second film, I really like the revolution stuff, and the propaganda ideas in this film were interesting and well done. I really want Katniss to succeed, I feel her, I wince when she doesn't get it right etc... I am behind the cause, and all that stuff.

But, the bad stuff. As I mentioned, there seems unnecessary filler here. The Gale character does nothing for me, other than being a babe. I liked the scenes of revolution from anonymous groups of workers - but I felt we could and should have seen more background to these, to better understand why these people were willing to give their lives. Also, the climax didn't really work.

I haven't read the books, which I really should have. Not sure what they will do with the second, but will be disappointed if they could have done a tight 2hr30 killer film.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
That was weak. They fillerized the shit out of it and fell flat, especially the climax ending. That was just lol worthy.

jambo

Saw it last night, was pretty ehh.

Just kinda plodded along, had some weird filler.

Also the way Katniss
kept demanding they got Peta out was kinda stupid. Made me think a lot less of her. Come on, it's a fucking revolution, think of the bigger picture.

I didn't really like the way the
rebel/revolutionary crowds acted either, all standing around clapping, almost politely when they should be fucking shouting and cheering and jumping around.

Oh boy, I am still going to see this movie anyway but barely even enjoyed the first two movies. Doesn't help that most of the people I know are crazy about the movies.

This movie was fucking awesome. The complaints are beyond me. I was hooked and felt a great deal of it was super intense, and the actors brought their A-game so hard. I found it to be the best installment and there were a lot of really interesting touches. I haven't read the books so I have no idea what to expect going into these, but while I liked the other two, I thought this one was the most unpredictable and most well-made so far. Was never bored once. I don't see how you could be bored unless you're just totally not into anything about it from the get-go.

Saw it at a different theatre. We all liked it. I knew going in that was a buildup to the finale and I didn't think it felt that stretched.

I'm glad they were able to get Finnick's stuff in about him being sold and all the secrets, I liked how they added that in.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm a bit surprised there isn't an OT for the movie. I saw it tonight. It's hard to remember from a year ago, but I suppose I would personally put it at about the same level as Catching Fire. Some things perhaps better (dramatic or emotional moments), some things perhaps worse (less focused). As reviews have noted, there's not really an "ending" -- the movie just stops and says part 1. Everyone kind of sat there in the dark for a few seconds, then started standing up to leave.

Movie flow: It probably could have been more focused, maybe even only one movie for the final book, but it wasn't too bad. There were some slow scenes but they were kind of nice for the characters to get some human moments instead of being purely focused on action.

Camerawork and scenery: I enjoyed the scenery. Nice stuff. Neat mix of very rural scenes and high-tech details. Some of the camera positioning or distance shots near (location spoiler)
the hydro power plant were cool.
Some scenes had annoying side-to-side camera shake when people were walking or jogging, but it didn't last long.

Music: Surprisingly decent! Lorde didn't bother me as much as I expected, and Jennifer Lawrence's song ended up stuck in my head. As much as it apparently bothered her to try to do it, it apparently worked out. The part where the music and the choir came in was rather moving. The whole thing gets played again during the credits. I ended up having it stuck in my head and singing it in the car afterwards.

Acting: Good. I may just be biased about Jennifer Lawrence, but I'm not sure I can think of anyone who would be a better Katniss. In some parts she may have come across as overacting, but in the final book, that may actually be fairly consistent for what Katniss was like. It's nice to have a female action/adventure lead, either way. Besides Katniss, some good supporting performances that come to mind are (just character names)
Haymitch, Snow, Peeta, Prim, Effie, Finnick

Story: Similar enough to the book from what I can vaguely recall. There's not a lot to it, as mostly the movie was selling the emotions of the various characters as they fully come to terms with the situation. Nevertheless, I thought those emotions were sold well at key moments.

Minor nitpick (ENDING SCENE SPOILER):
It seemed silly that both Katniss and Peeta were left unguarded in the final scene, even though everyone was listening to the president speak.

Random note, there's actually a little easter egg after the credits roll, but it's just fancy graphics and not a clip of actors or anything.

*** Major book story spoiler for PART 2! This is for the NEXT movie, ye be warned! ***
I think Prim is basically portrayed perfectly in these movies. It's especially heartbreaking, knowing the sacrifice, knowing the training to be a doctor thing, and knowing what's coming in the final movie. That's one of the things I disliked most about the final book. :(

Roommate saw it last night. He was wondering how they will fit the remaining 50 or so pages into a three hour film...

I also asked him about certain character developments and he said they didn't really occur :(

Spoilers:
according to him, the film doesn't even attempt to paint Gale in a negative light or really foreshaddow the things he'll do in part 2 :

I thought it was clear that he's full army and wants to fight. There is a line where katniss says "when did we become you and coin".

As far as the second movie I think it's very easy to see the path it will take.
they'll start with some district 13 stuff, the first half will be getting into and taking over district 1/2 and the last half will be the capital with the big deaths at the end and their fallout. I don't see them having an issue at all making this a2 hour movie.
You're going to see more fighting just like this one because we're seeing stuff outside of katniss POV.

Just saw it - you can really feel the 'part 1' of the story. So much of it just feels dramatically inert and there's so little advancement of the overall plot. I haven't read the books, but the film feels full of padding (whether that's accurate to the source doesn't really matter to me - the end result is boring).

The second film ended on a pretty effective cliffhanger, and I felt like the end of that movie promised something very different than what mocking jay delivers.

It is primarily a movie about the creation of propaganda, but it doesn't really have anything interesting to say on the topic. If it had a real point of view I could get on board, but as it stands it feels like a film that's just killing time.

Wasn't a huge fan of the third book (second is best) but this movie was actually not bad. Glowing review, I know. I enjoyed it and it was not as slow as I thought it would be. Didn't go into the theater excited, but now I'm looking forward to the finale.

My friend and I who worked on this together for 3+ weeks as members of District 13 are seeing this tomorrow night. You guys should look out for me; I'm the white guy in the jumpsuit.

Meh, I don't really buy the Katniss and Peeta relationship and it feels like she's never stopped "acting" like she cares for him. I dunno, it was better than that trash Divergent my GF and i watched.

Blizzard

Banned
Meh, I don't really buy the Katniss and Peeta relationship and it feels like she's never stopped "acting" like she cares for him. I dunno, it was better than that trash Divergent my GF and i watched.
There was a Divergent 2 trailer before Mockingbird Part 1. A woman in the back of the theater was like "WHAT?! None of that has anything to do with the book! ......sorry."

I haven't read the Divergent series but it was funny.

Symphonic

Really enjoyed this one, way more than the first two. Totally different tone and the older/better actors throughout are excellent.

Not getting where the criticisms are coming from, I was entertained throughout and thought it was far more interesting than the first two.

Kasumin

I don't really blame them for splitting the last book into two films. The last book was a total mess. Way too much happened. I couldn't even really follow everything when I was reading the book. It'd be like, suddenly someone is dead, and I'd blink and go back a paragraph.

I'll probably still go see it, though.

Blizzard

Banned

The last scene confrontation seemed so random. Startled me a bit.
Book/movie spoiler about that scene:

That's why Snow let the rebels escape even with anti-air back online. They finally broke/brainwashed Peeta enough with the poison that he was sent back as a weapon. Whether he kills Katniss or just emotionally wrecks her by the attack, either way it hurts her. That's why Snow, right before that, said that it's the things we love that hurt/kill us, I forget the exact words.

Xe4

Banned
Any movie where Jennifer Lawrence is the star is always bad.

Because Winters Bone is bad... right.

About the actual topic, I'm surprised they could even make it this good honestly. I loved the first book, read the whole thing in one night, and then read it again the next day. I thought the second book was OK, but didn't even finish the third one it was so boring. Should have been a one and done in my opinion.

Ratrat

So this is out? Totally forgot despite posting in the thread, I haven't seen a single ad on tv about it.

Is there a movie out there that isn't a cash grab?
Yes? Never heard of a passion project? indie movie? I'm sure Linkletter was thinking about all the money he'd make on Boyhood.

Peru

This isn't any more of cash grab than any other blockbuster whether the decision to split the book was right or not. The marvel cinematic universe is perhaps the ultimate cash grab in movie history, that doesn't mean artists working on the creative aspect of it aren't deeply engaged in making as good movies as they can, but it's still designed as a cash grab that will keep on giving for decades to come. Who the hell cares?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I actually rather liked this movie. I went into the theatre with low expectation because of the mixed reviews and expected it to be "slower". However, I thought it all worked out just fine. Some nice character development that isn't always action action action. It kind of makes sense too given the story too. Now I am excited about the last finale movie !

Prologue

Book/movie spoiler about that scene:

That's why Snow let the rebels escape even with anti-air back online. They finally broke/brainwashed Peeta enough with the poison that he was sent back as a weapon. Whether he kills Katniss or just emotionally wrecks her by the attack, either way it hurts her. That's why Snow, right before that, said that it's the things we love that hurt/kill us, I forget the exact words.

Did he really lose all that weight or was that CGI?
He looked so different after every video.

bengraven

Kind of forced to see this tonight.

I thought the books were okay, had some good parts. The first movie was kind of bland and I got bored through movie #2.

So I'm really not looking forward to this. It would be nice if the Jurassic Park trailer had been attached at least.

so.....

MockingJay Part 1 opened with 17 million on thursday night

That is lower than the first hunger games (19.3 Million) while being in more theaters (first hunger games opened at midnight and this one opened at 8 pm)

This also opened lower than Catching Fire (25.2 Million)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom