• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews starting to roll in for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

so.....

MockingJay Part 1 opened with 17 million on thursday night

That is lower than the first hunger games (19.3 Million) while being in more theaters (first hunger games opened at midnight and this one opened at 8 pm)

This also opened lower than Catching Fire (25.2 Million)

aIs3NVK.png

"If we burn, you burn with us!"

daveo42

Banned
Doesn't sound like Hollywood could salvage this hot mess.

People are going to be pissed when pt. 2 rolls around. I'm not paying money to see this, and I really liked the first two.

You'd need a pretty extensive rewrite to salvage the 3rd book and I don't think Lionsgate was going to wait around for a script or pay someone to do that. Could be a contract issue with the original author on how much is actually changes between the book and movie.

Book/movie spoiler about that scene:

That's why Snow let the rebels escape even with anti-air back online. They finally broke/brainwashed Peeta enough with the poison that he was sent back as a weapon. Whether he kills Katniss or just emotionally wrecks her by the attack, either way it hurts her. That's why Snow, right before that, said that it's the things we love that hurt/kill us, I forget the exact words.

This is why the third book doesn't really make a lot of sense.

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR MOCKINGJAY PT2
Why are Snow and the capital still so wrapped up in spectacle and hurting people emotionally (or frightening/surprising them) when literal war is at their doorsteps? It's almost cartoonish supervillainy. They have a massive, massive advantage in terms of weaponry and their B.O.W.s (lol) can be constructed to be insanely deadly and hard to kill, yet they deploy them in goofy pods at almost random locations. They have a microwave pod that instantly fries everyone within the designated area! Laser beams that instantly melt people to the bone! Killer hornets that can follow people anywhere! Why wouldn't you deploy this at the front lines? Why let Katniss escape at all when you can kill her easily with a missile? Why not deploy a team of mutts to her district if you knew she was going to return there instead of leaving a creepy rose? Snow's comes off as overwhelmingly smug, and you assume it's because he knows what he's doing, but the capital gets their asses handed to them in days.

farisr

The books start from greatest to worst, so it only makes sense that the movies follow the trend.

Haven't read the books, but the second movie was way better than the first for me. But yeah, I'm probably skipping this one (unless I'm at the theater on a tuesday and there's nothing else to watch, not going to actively go to the theater just to watch this), will wait to watch at home right before part 2's release.

so.....

MockingJay Part 1 opened with 17 million on thursday night

That is lower than the first hunger games (19.3 Million) while being in more theaters (first hunger games opened at midnight and this one opened at 8 pm)

This also opened lower than Catching Fire (25.2 Million)

The 2 parts together will make more than having released just one movie by itself, though, and that's the bet they made with Mockingjay

Vinci

Danish
I'll probably watch this one late at night when I'm bored out of my mind like I did the other two. They were entertaining, so I'll give this one a go as well down the line.

cruets

Saw it last night with my wife. Full house. I thought it was pretty good. Strong performances from all the actors. Gail really up'd his game. Julianne Moore was awesome as Coin. Great performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman . He will be missed.

Blizzard

Banned

Why are Snow and the capital still so wrapped up in spectacle and hurting people emotionally (or frightening/surprising them) when literal war is at their doorsteps? It's almost cartoonish supervillainy. They have a massive, massive advantage in terms of weaponry and their B.O.W.s (lol) can be constructed to be insanely deadly and hard to kill, yet they deploy them in goofy pods at almost random locations. They have a microwave pod that instantly fries everyone within the designated area! Laser beams that instantly melt people to the bone! Killer hornets that can follow people anywhere! Why wouldn't you deploy this at the front lines? Why let Katniss escape at all when you can kill her easily with a missile? Why not deploy a team of mutts to her district if you knew she was going to return there instead of leaving a creepy rose? Snow's comes off as overwhelmingly smug, and you assume it's because he knows what he's doing, but the capital gets their asses handed to them in days.

Good points, the book was a bit contrived.

Saw it last night and was entertained. I can understand why they split the book up. it would have been too much in one film, I think.

Regarding the powers of the Capitol, I think
they have always been hanging on by a string. The movie showed the Capitol bombing District 13 to little effect. Yes they have high tech, but my read is that that stuff is too cost prohibitive to use anywhere but the games. Most of their resources have gone into their lavish lifestyle, so once there is some rebellion, they have little real power, thus the quick fall. Snow's only real weapon is to undermine Katniss and the rebellion's will.

Generally I have liked the movies more than the books, but this one is both worse than the book and a step down from the first two movies.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
*** Major book story spoiler for PART 2! This is for the NEXT movie, ye be warned! ***
I think Prim is basically portrayed perfectly in these movies. It's especially heartbreaking, knowing the sacrifice, knowing the training to be a doctor thing, and knowing what's coming in the final movie. That's one of the things I disliked most about the final book. :(

you really think they will do it? I do not think that they will stay true to the book in this case

you really think they will do it? I do not think that they will stay true to the book in this case

I really think they would have done it in this part if they were going too. But who knows? It could be a great end to the 3rd or 2nd Act of the next film.

Everyone wants to copy Harry Potter and split the last book into two movies. Anyway. I won't be seeing this till it's on DVD or something.

Catching Fire was dope though.
The last book of HP could have been split into 3 movies at least. There was a lot missed. Really my favorite part of the last book was where they were wandering around the cliffside.

I will watch this at our budget theatre in a few months if anything unless one of my friends want to go. Compared to the books the Hunger Game movies have disappointed. They were not bad, just didn't live up to the books (like always in the case from books to movies).

Vashetti

Banned
The last book of HP could have been split into 3 movies at least. There was a lot missed. Really my favorite part of the last book was where they were wandering around the cliffside.

I will watch this at our budget theatre in a few months if anything unless one of my friends want to go. Compared to the books the Hunger Game movies have disappointed. They were not bad, just didn't live up to the books (like always in the case from books to movies).

Yup. The Deathly Hallows split was absolutely a money first decision, but you can tell the care and devotion behind it was also to tell a satisfactory story. There was a wealth of content they still left out.

RoKKeR

So yeah this movie was... bad. I'm generally pretty positive towards things in general but I just didn't like it at all. Boring as hell. Loved the first two, never read the books.

I still wonder why these movies are so popular. I've seen the first two and thought they were incredibly mediocre. Uninspired boredom with no style at all.

LakeEarth

I thought the movie was alright, but they really needed to work on that last half hour. I thought it was clunky and not overly exciting. I guess that's to be expected of a part 1.

Yup. The Deathly Hallows split was absolutely a money first decision, but you can tell the care and devotion behind it was also to tell a satisfactory story. There was a wealth of content they still left out.

As soon as I finished reading Deathly Hallows my first thought was that there was no way they could fit it into a single movie. There's just too much important content. Sure it's also a money decision but in that particular case I think there wasn't really a choice.
With the last HG book I didn't feel it was necessary, though I don't mind if certain scenes get the attention they deserve. I haven't seen it yet but I'll judge it as a whole after I've seen both parts to decide if it benefited from the split or not.

I never thought these movies were great, but this was incredibly boring. Not an awful film, but one that genuinely felt hurt by the two movie format.

Also, the movie drags up some interesting themes and never does anything with them, but that's typical hunger games.

To like this movie, I think you really have to love the Hunger Games universe. As I'm not into the story or the movie characters, I should have stayed home, although the multiple power naps I took during the movie made it bearable (Donald Sutherland was at least on good form) ;).

Trey

Reading this thread, I guess I'm in the minority thinking that the 2nd book is by far the worst.

The drop off from the first book to the second is severe, and the trilogy limped on to the end.

Suzanne Collins only had an interesting concept, but no real vision on where to take it.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
eh I actually loved this one, prefer the direction into politics over just the games

FFirst boom and first movie were pretty bad. Second book was good but the movie was only okay. Third book was ggreat and I really enjoyed the movie. I know this is an uunpopular opinion though

The drop off from the first book to the second is severe, and the trilogy limped on to the end.

Suzanne Collins only had an interesting concept, but no real vision on where to take it.

I gave the third book credit for breaking formula and had a few interesting ideas. The second is mostly filler.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Saw this last night. Didn't care for it. The first two movies were better even if some of the themes and setup had more potential here.

This is the problem with creating a sprawling fictional universe and then mandating that everything be wrapped up in a neat little bow in 3 books... Especially when the first book gives you barely a glimpse of 1/10th of the "map".

Divergent and the Maze Runner have the same problem. The reality of fleshing out the universe is never going to be as good as the original concept that landed them the book deal in the first place. The Hunger Games, the VR sim + full metal training barrage, and the maze all define these works, and represent the apex of their creativity. Despite numerous retcons, asspulls, and inconsistencies, at least Rowling had bigger ideas as her story progressed, and the HP universe actually survived and excelled as it expanded beyond being a magic middle school drama.

Bulzeeb

I saw the movie yesterday and I'll go with this one

The first half of the final Hunger Games installment is disappointingly bland and unnecessarily protracted

I liked the books and thought the movies were ok but the mockingjay actually managed to bore me

Blizzard

Banned

Major spoilers for the FINAL movie, Mockingjay part 2:
Fair point. I haven't read the books in a while but I feel like the movies have been relatively true to the books thus far.

However, if one major change is that Prim stays alive, I'd be perfectly fine with that. It would make the final movie a LITTLE less depressing.

McLovin

Anyone else not notice a difference between the "bad acting" and her actual acting in the first half if the movie? Acting improved after that though. But, that said, I thought it was a few good parts patted with mostly filler. I didnt like it, thumbs down for me.
Edit-probably would have been an awesome single movie.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Major spoilers for the FINAL movie, Mockingjay part 2:
Fair point. I haven't read the books in a while but I feel like the movies have been relatively true to the books thus far.

However, if one major change is that Prim stays alive, I'd be perfectly fine with that. It would make the final movie a LITTLE less depressing.

but
if they were to do that, then they would have to change her killing the president too

I'll be peeved if they don't kill her off but it wouldn't surprise me. I feel like she hasnt been given enough exposure in these three films for people to give a shit about her

Never read the books but this movie was shit. I want my money back. I was expecting some action, instead I got a lot of exposition and a lot of slow mo scenes. Total waste.

McLovin

I didnt read the books, but simply using one of those methods would make her a martyr. He probably wants to break her and have people lose faith in her before killing her.

zeemumu

Well they thought that it was a good idea to kill kids every year instead of threatening to do it so that districts had something to lose other than their own lives, so I assume they rely too heavily on their own ability to instill fear.
I didnt read the books, but simply using one of those methods would make her a martyr. He probably wants to break her and have people lose faith in her before killing her.
People lose faith really quickly if
they can be instantly liquified.

Trey

Divergent and the Maze Runner have the same problem. The reality of fleshing out the universe is never going to be as good as the original concept that landed them the book deal in the first place. The Hunger Games, the VR sim + full metal training barrage, and the maze all define these works, and represent the apex of their creativity. Despite numerous retcons, asspulls, and inconsistencies, at least Rowling had bigger ideas as her story progressed, and the HP universe actually survived and excelled as it expanded beyond being a magic middle school drama.

This is really the difference between between Harry Potter and the plethora of young adult franchises trying to take its crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom