• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews starting to roll in for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-the-hunger-games-mockingjay-part-1-1201352024/
The series' two-part finale gets under way in solid, absorbing if not exactly inspired fashion.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ingjay-part-1/review/747902?facebook_20141110
The first half of the final Hunger Games installment is disappointingly bland and unnecessarily protracted

http://www.thewrap.com/the-hunger-g...ifer-lawrence-liam-hemsworth-josh-hutcherson/
The title lets you know we're still one more movie away from the grand finale, but even if “Mockingjay, Part 1” leaves us wanting more, it's not just two hours of build-up. Think of it as an amuse-bouche for a final course that manages to satisfy on its own.

maxcriden

Oh, hmm. Sounds mixed so far so I'll keep my expectations lower. I did enjoy the second entry more than the first, though.

I like cliffhangers just fine, I don't get butthurt over them. Most series end with them until the story has been completely told. This looks good.

What was so bad about the first film? If anything, I feel like the second is too much of a rehash of the first, and the shaky cam wasn't that bad.

The first half of the final Hunger Games installment is disappointingly bland and unnecessarily protracted

Doesn't sound like Hollywood could salvage this hot mess.

People are going to be pissed when pt. 2 rolls around. I'm not paying money to see this, and I really liked the first two.

Akahige

What was so bad about the first film? If anything, I feel like the second is too much of a rehash of the first, and the shaky cam wasn't that bad.
I liked it more than second which I agree had rehash moments galore and the unconvincing ptsd parts, a few sequences during the game were fun and it was well shot but I was mostly unimpressed.

I purely would see this for PSH.

I randomly watched the first two this summer, and really liked the ending of two. Somehow did not know /. see it coming. Was interested to see where it goes (as I don't want to read the books now I am invested the the filmic version), however if they stall actual progression for a year I am not too happy.

RevoDS

I was terribly disappointed with the second one's ending. The non-ending felt like a complete cop-out. Like a buildup to the buildup to the finale.

In my opinion, good movies should be able to stand on their own merits without considering sequels. The last one didn't.

These tell me this one isn't going to be better.

I thought the first one was largely overrated trash.

I gave the second one a chance because I knew Simon Beaufoy had script-writing duties.

I don't have a lot of faith in the third.

Toa TAK

Banned
The blurbs are exactly what I expected to hear.

And expected the movie to be. But I'll have to see it to CONFIRM.

jelly

From a book reader, it missed so much of the relationship between the characters at the games so it didn't have much impact. The film action wasn't so great and it felt disjointed and rushed but maybe a book thought.

Second film was more slick and better put together, it was similar but think the change was quite good and you rooted for them more and their cause. Characters played off each better as well.

I was a terribly disappointed with the second one's ending. The non-ending felt like a complete cop-out. Like a buildup to the buildup to the finale.

In my opinion, good movies should be able to stand on their own merits without considering sequels. The last one didn't.

The ending of the second is pulled off better in the novel. It's such a mindfuck. You think everything is FUBAR and then it's like, what? How? Oh snap! It helps that the author had a lot more time to establish just how screwed up and sadistic that map they were "playing" on was.

It was incredibly awful at converting the book to movie. The second did a better job of carrying all of the major scenes, storylines and tones of its namesake book.

not surprised. they adapt the first half of the most boring book in the series. what even happens in this movie?

something something hospital explosion.

From a book reader, it missed so much of the relationship between the characters at the games so it didn't have much impact. The film action wasn't so great and it felt disjointed and rushed but maybe a book thought.

Second film was more slick and better put together, it was similar but think the change was quite good and you rooted for them more and their cause. Characters played off each better as well.

I agree. It's a shame, too. There were so many good moments in the book that didn't make it to the screen.

Also fuck shaky cam. That Cornucopia battle...yeesh.

jelly

I kinda think its weird that they split the movie into two parts. The first half on that book is not exactly exciting.

Hunger Games : Depression Part 1

I can barely remember it, she wonders about a bit, can't handle things.

Akahige

I didn't even like the first one that much but the second one had nothing to offer that the first one hadn't already outside better cinematography and PSH.

Oh and you got to get all totally in depth with all these feelings that Katniss was going through and what she had done, JLaw was so Oscar worthing good in those scenes and in no way over dramatic.

The last book is a bit bonkers.
Second half is budget over load.

I remember when I read the
siege of the Capital, where the city is basically turned into a gigantic SAW style deathtrap and the monsters chasing them in the sewers
I was so confused because I had no idea what the hell was going on.

The whole novel really is a step down from the previous two in my opinion.

Pau

Thought the first book was pretty terrible (Collins can't write for shit) but I enjoyed the second film enough to be somewhat excited for this one.

overcast

Movies are completely unspectacular and overrated, but they're decent enough to watch in theaters. I've heard bad things about this book, so it's not surprising it's being received a little tepidly.

jelly

I remember when I read the
siege of the Capital, where the city is basically turned into a gigantic SAW style deathtrap and the monsters chasing them in the sewers
I was so confused because I had no idea what the hell was going on.

The whole novel really is a step down from the previous two in my opinion.

Yeah, that is just wtf and out of nowhere. Even after that, it's just what just happened.

I did like the last line in the book though.

Raptor

I even enjoy more Twilight more than this garbage.

This movies are very boring to me for some reason and some teenage wolfs and vampires(that sparkle like diamonds) is so ridiculous and stupid crap that I cant help to be more entertained by it, also the actress even if she only has one expression on her face is less annoying than Lawrence to me.

Yeah, that is just wtf and out of nowhere. Even after that, it's just what just happened.

I did like the last line in the book though.

My only wish for this series is that they do the epilogue justice.

My dream is that the epilogue is line for line from the book, with a montage of scenes depicting her life after the Games and the war, appearing as Katniss narrates them. No actual spoken dialogue.

Oh and please don't cut the art /memory book.

anaron

This movies are very boring to me for some reason and some teenage wolfs and vampires(that sparkle like diamonds) is so ridiculous and stupid crap that I cant help to be more entertained by it, also the actress even if she only has one expression on her face is less annoying than Lawrence to me.

ok bizarro

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Movie is currently sitting at 82%
Surprised there is so little interest on gaf for it, opens in a few days (Im seeing a midnight showing tomorrow in the UK) yet we have no thread for it

Not read any reviews yet and doubt I will til after the film but I remain hopeful that they do better than the book, even if it is like a harry potter thing were the first part is slow to set up everything

I was terribly disappointed with the second one's ending. The non-ending felt like a complete cop-out. Like a buildup to the buildup to the finale.

The "cliffhanger" part of the ending was directly from the book, so it's not exactly the movie's fault that it ended in one.

The one thing that truly bothered me about the ending of the second movie was the ridiculously stupid looking CG animation of the mockinjay at the very end. I don't know what the hell they were thinking there.

El Topo

Movie is currently sitting at 82%
Surprised there is so little interest on gaf for it, opens in a few days (Im seeing a midnight showing tomorrow in the UK) yet we have no thread for it

Not read any reviews yet and doubt I will til after the film but I remain hopeful that they do better than the book, even if it is like a harry potter thing were the first part is slow to set up everything

Last time we didn't even have a thread at release day. I don't think anyone has dibs.
I've watched the last two on release day, but given how utterly cramped the cinema was last time I'll probably wait a bit. Hopefully it'll be somewhat as good as the first two, even if the book is apparently weak.

see a doctor.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Last time we didn't even have a thread at release day. I don't think anyone has dibs.
I've watched the last two on release day, but given how utterly cramped the cinema was last time I'll probably wait a bit. Hopefully it'll be somewhat as good as the first two, even if the book is apparently weak.

oh really?
I'll make one up after I come back from my showing if nobody else puts one up

I have confidence it will be good. I even think the splitting of the book helps them
Certainly the initial positive reception settles some nerves. Reviewers wouldnt be afraid to savage it as a shameless money grab if it really was bad, or even mediocre.

jrush64

Banned
Everyone wants to copy Harry Potter and split the last book into two movies. Anyway. I won't be seeing this till it's on DVD or something.

Catching Fire was dope though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom