• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews starting to roll in for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Ryo_

Seems like a serviceable movie but I am really not sure why this needed to be two movies long. The novel is less than 400 pages. So, either they're creating A LOT of new content or they are prolonging what is already there. I don't know. I don't have high hopes at all though.

This was the 49th movie i've seen at the cinema this year and i'd say it's the worst movie i've seen so far. Not even sure i want to bother posting any other thoughts about the movie, It's just so boring and forgettable. Absolute garbage.

TrutaS

It was slow and unnecessary. But still enjoyable for the performances. Not a movie theater experience by any means, so definitely watch the bluray version before Part 2 and you're safe.

lewisgone

Yes? Never heard of a passion project? indie movie? I'm sure Linkletter was thinking about all the money he'd make on Boyhood.

Movies can be made for profit and still have passion put into them. If no one gave a shit about them they wouldn't be good. If you can only appreciate "passion projects" where the director almost went broke funding the thing, I feel sorry for you.

Surpised Peter Jackson hasn't decided to split Hobbit 3 into Hobbit 3:part 1 and 2 yet to follow this DOGSHIT money grabbing trend.

I feel it was entirely appropriate in the Deathly Hallows. If that book had been condensed into one movie it would have been terribly rushed or extremely long, there was no way around it. The majority of scenes in both Part 1 and Part 2 felt worthwhile and were entertaining, so I would have been upset to get a movie that skipped over many of those scenes. Book format doesn't always transition well to film. I don't see why 1 book must = 1 film apart from simplicity. I do wish they would drop the "part 1 and part 2" crap though, it makes the titles seem messy.

Having said all that, I can't comment on Mockingjays split since it's been ages since I read the book (which I found largely forgettable) and I haven't watched the movie yet. It just bothers me when I see the Deathly Hallows movies slammed as a cashgrab. There are times when people who want to make money, and people who want to make a good movie's goals align, and I honestly think with the last Harry Potter films that was one of those cases. Has it become a copycat moneygrabbing trend like you say now? Maybe, I haven't seen Twilight of Mockingjay.

Toa TAK

Banned
The "best" (?) part of the movie was due to JNH (who also doesn't care to compose for these films it seems).

And my audience and I laughed pretty hard when
Peeta started attacking Katniss.
There you have it.

Hamlet

So got back from seeing and it was decent enough I suppose. Not quite as good as the previous one though but still decent.
Liked it when they showed off bits of the other districts attempting to fight back against the capitol. Kinda wished they showed a bit more of that. Especially those lumberjacks ha.
Wasn't expecting the peeta strangling Katniss scene to be so brutal. Would have preferred it to end there after it cut to black. Still that final shot was pretty disturbing.
Also really liked the raid scene on the capitol.

The "best" (?) part of the movie was due to JNH (who also doesn't care to compose for these films it seems).

And my audience and I laughed pretty hard when
Peeta started attacking Katniss.
There you have it.

I found the movie pretty boring, but I also find it entirely redeemed by "The Hanging Tree" sequence. That was really well done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgo-dWdcVlk

Really loved the song even
if I found the actual scene to be a bit silly.

Vashetti

Banned
Just got back, loved it. Better than Catching Fire which I adored.

Not understanding at all where all these negative reviews and comments are coming from. They needed this movie to give the world more depth. For the past two films, we've only had brief glimpses of the suffering these people have been living under.

I've only read the first 1/3 of the last book, so there came a point I'm assuming about halfway through in this movie where after that point, I had no idea what was going to happen.

I'm assuming the last movie will be mostly all-out action. Whilst that's obviously fun to watch, it does get tiring without context of why everybody is fighting and the emotional stakes. This movie was necessary to provide all that context.

Everyone was on their A-game too. Some really great performances. The "In loving memory of Philip Seymour Hoffman" at the end made me choke up too. He was fantastic in this, a much, much bigger role than in Catching Fire.

Loved it.

Just got back, loved it. Better than Catching Fire which I adored.

Not understanding at all where all these negative reviews and comments are coming from. They needed this movie to give the world more depth. For the past two films, we've only had brief glimpses of the suffering these people have been living under.

I've only read the first 1/3 of the last book, so there came a point I'm assuming about halfway through in this movie where after that point, I had no idea what was going to happen.

I'm assuming the last movie will be mostly all-out action. Whilst that's obviously fun to watch, it does get tiring without context of why everybody is fighting and the emotional stakes. This movie was necessary to provide all that context.

Everyone was on their A-game too. Some really great performances. The "In loving memory of Philip Seymour Hoffman" at the end made me choke up too. He was fantastic in this, a much, much bigger role than in Catching Fire.

Loved it.

I'm with you. I really liked it. Really, really liked it.

genjiZERO

The first half was extremely dull, but the second half was great. I do feel like it's one of those things you have to get through for the sake of the story though.

I am so fucking bummed out that I have to see this tomorrow. Haven't read the books, didn't see the other movies. I love my brother in law but he's picky as hell and we have to keep bending everything we do (restaurants, movies etc) around his tastes.

Maybe it's fine but going to a movie you don't have any interest in is awful.

paolo11

This is just my opinion but I feel that Mockingjay is a huge prologue. Kinda a bummer that there is less action than the previous 2.

Dominator

I like Jennifer Lawrence but that the hell happened here. Her performance was god awful, and it brought the film down quite a bit. Catching Fire reigns supreme for me.

Vashetti

Banned
I like Jennifer Lawrence but that the hell happened here. Her performance was god awful, and it brought the film down quite a bit. Catching Fire reigns supreme for me.

I felt like we must have watched different movies.

Very powerful performance. She sells the PTSD thing extremely well.

Road

By far the best movie of the three so far. The others aren't even the same league, mostly because it has none of those utterly stupid and unbelievable games.

JLaw is getting worse with each new movie, though. I think she's just angry she's tied to these long movie contracts (both HG and X-Men) and can't wait to be done with them.

JLaw is getting worse with each new movie, though. I think she's just angry she's tied to these long movie contracts (both HG and X-Men) and can't wait to be done with them.

What kind of movie star wants to be set for life.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

I'm glad there are others here who liked it. I really loved it. Easily my favorite of the movies. I hated the 3rd book, and everything that was awful about it they seem to have corrected. Or they've properly re-shifted focus.

The hanging tree stuff was great, but what absolutely tore at me was towards the end when
Peeta is in the middle of his interview, and Katniss' showing of District 12 kicks in. The recognition, sadness, and pain in his face immediately yanked at my heart. I don't know why, but that whole sequence really got to me.
What's amusing is that I felt the exact opposite. That's Neogaf for you, I guess.

mm04

I actually enjoyed it. I've read the books and it's been awhile, so I've forgotten some of it, but I pretty much disliked the book but I found the movie enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised.

This was by far the worst movie I've seen this year. I really liked the last one. This on the other hand was completely bland and boring. Scene after gray scene, filmed entirely in a rock quarry. Oh no, Katniss they turned your miserable ghetto into a slightly more destroyed miserable ghetto. Here's a scene where we fly over the beautiful capital...entirely in blackness. Katniss fires one arrow the entire film. My wife and I were actually angry upon leaving the theater. If we watch the last one, it'll be at home.

Socreges

Banned
This was... not a good movie. I liked the first and really liked the second, so this was disappointing and unexpected (hadn't read the books). For anyone saying this movie needed to exist to give depth or set the stage... ok... I disagree but ok.... but even if the movie has purpose, that doesn't mean it can't also be a bad movie.

slit

I don't know, I actually liked the movie. Saw it on Tuesday. Not as good as the first but just as good as Catching Fire IMO. I actually really like Julianne Moore in her role as Alma Coin. The movie had it's flaws but overall I found it enjoyable.

Mush

Found this to be really disappointing after enjoying the first 2 films (which I dismissed as teenybopper tripe). Hopefully Part 2 will deliver.

What's the deal with Hoffman? Did he finish up his part before his death?

I haven't read the books but enjoyed the first two films, especially Catching Fire.

Watched the film this afternoon and really quite enjoyed it. It does remind me of Deathly Hallows Part 1 with it's slower pace but personally I felt this half of the story earned it's own film. I liked the parallel between the Capitol using Peeta as their propaganda icon and the rebels using Katniss. Admittedly it wasn't heavy on action but I was never bored. Looking forward to seeing how it ends.

Watched the movie today. Surprised the theater was packed, we were in the back row. Very enjoyable.

Lol at some of the people here.

You don't read the books and feel entitled to be entertained by the movie? For fucks sake.

Thank god this studio actually made the movies right, unlike so many that are dumbed down to the bone to cater to people who can't be bothered to open a book. Go watch the next Michael bay flick if you want to watch explosions and nothing more.

Saw it a couple days ago and liked it quite a bit. Never read the books but found it to be pretty entertaining. A much slower movie than the last 2, but I felt emotionally invested in what was happening. Was never bored and the dialog and plot flowed well. The ending was pretty intense. And It was sad to watch Peeta gradually become more and more haggard each time you saw him on those interviews.

I must say though, all I could think while watching Haymich was that he looked exactly like Snow Villiers from the first FF XIII.

JB1981

I feel like this movie was pretty well made but did we really need an entire two hour movie devoted to basically bringing back Peeta? And that final shot was just unintentionally hilarious. I don't know what it is about the actor they cast to play Pita but I just cannot stand his face.

There are some key moments in this movie where Jlaw needs to hit some high notes and she falls short every time. Her performance is feeling more and more phoned in.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
This movie will be better when we have Part 2. Also the scenes with the cat, needed to be cut, it was not needed and provided nothing of value.

JB1981

This movie will be better when we have Part 2. Also the scenes with the cat, needed to be cut, it was not needed and provided nothing of value.

Does the book explain how the resistance was able to build up such a massive cache of weaponry and build such a complex bunker system?

I thought the first movie was bad beyond belief.

I thought the second was pretty good and I liked it.

This one was just boring, bland, and repetitive. And pretty damn stupid. Maybe they should have the smart guy who makes arrows that can take down two fighter jets with one shot, make some real weapons with which one squad can wipe out the whole dictatorship.

My g/f and I watched this over the weekend after grabbing the Bluray from Redbox. We never bothered to read the books, and have just watched the movies. We both thought the movie was OK. It was decent entertainment, but not that exciting. There were some poorly acted scenes, like Katnis screaming in bed, that made us both laugh.

Also,
I said out loud if she shoots down one of those planes with an arrow I'm cutting the movie off......she then proceeded to do just that.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Does the book explain how the resistance was able to build up such a massive cache of weaponry and build such a complex bunker system?
I have not read them to be honest, but my assumption after just looking up what the districts due and where they are located seems to be a combination of: they are relatively isolated from the rest of Panem and their focus is on nuclear power. I guess they have putting all their resources and nuclear power into weapons...honestly the book probably explains it better.

I have not read them to be honest, but my assumption after just looking up what the districts due and where they are located seems to be a combination of: they are relatively isolated from the rest of Panem and their focus is on nuclear power. I guess they have putting all their resources and nuclear power into weapons...honestly the book probably explains it better.

District 13 was Panem's military district: they are the most battle-ready of the Districts and had and continue to have contingency plans for all sorts of disasters. Its entire population has been trained in military warfare and tactics.

It's how they were able to resist the Capital all this time.

JB1981

District 13 was Panem's military district: they are the most battle-ready of the Districts and had and continue to have contingency plans for all sorts of disasters. Its entire population has been trained in military warfare and tactics.

It's how they were able to resist the Capital all this time.

Just seems weird that the other districts don't have food, water, clothing, shelter but this district has a secret underground facility with enough weaponry to level Japan.

Roo

I thought the first movie was bad beyond belief.

I thought the second was pretty good and I liked it.

This one was just boring, bland, and repetitive. And pretty damn stupid. Maybe they should have the smart guy who makes arrows that can take down two fighter jets with one shot, make some real weapons with which one squad can wipe out the whole dictatorship.
To be perfectly honest, the first half of Mockingjay relies so much on Katniss's "pain" that pretty much all characters except for Peeta, Gale and Alma step back. They barely evolve as characters.

I have to say it reached a really boring point so I think they actually did a pretty good job with the movie in that regard. They managed to include scenes outside of Katniss's point of view that made the movie/book more cohesive and less boring.

Trust me, the second half is where shit gets real and I'll be surprised if it doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time.

BamfMeat

To be perfectly honest, the first half of Mockingjay relies so much on Katniss's "pain" that pretty much all characters except for Peeta, Gale and Alma step back. They barely evolve as characters.

I have to say it reached a really boring point so I think they actually did a pretty good job with the movie in that regard. They managed to include scenes outside of Katniss's point of view that made the movie/book more cohesive and less boring.

Trust me, the second half is where shit gets real and I'll be surprised if it doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time.

I absolutely cannot wait for the second movie. I'm a huge fan of the books and I loved both the first and second movie. This one dragged and unlike the others, I'm fine with not seeing this one again for a while. The others I watched multiple times.

But the other thing that I don't get is in the books,
Coin is much more antagonistic to Kat but in the movie she's almost just the opposite. You don't really get that Coin hates her. The best we get is "Are you sure she's ready?"

I'm really excited for the first half of the next movie though. If the scenes in the movie get even close to matching what's in my head, it's going to be spectacular.

Just seems weird that the other districts don't have food, water, clothing, shelter but this district has a secret underground facility with enough weaponry to level Japan.

I don't know if they talked about it in the movie (can't remember) but District 13 was not only remote and their military area, but also, the Capital has been telling the other districts that there was no district 13. It's been "hidden" for a very long time. IIRC, the other districts thought that 13 was bombed and destroyed in the beginning of the wars for trying to fight against the Capital.

I want to see this, but will likely wait until it hits The Movie Network. I don't feel like paying to watch The Hunger Games.

I saw the first one on TV, after dismissing it because it was a Battle Royale (superior) rip-off. I ended up liking it, though, more than expected.

The second movie...was boring.

Roo

I absolutely cannot wait for the second movie. I'm a huge fan of the books and I loved both the first and second movie. This one dragged and unlike the others, I'm fine with not seeing this one again for a while. The others I watched multiple times.

But the other thing that I don't get is in the books,
Coin is much more antagonistic to Kat but in the movie she's almost just the opposite. You don't really get that Coin hates her. The best we get is "Are you sure she's ready?"

I'm really excited for the first half of the next movie though. If the scenes in the movie get even close to matching what's in my head, it's going to be spectacular.

I don't know if they talked about it in the movie (can't remember) but District 13 was not only remote and their military area, but also, the Capital has been telling the other districts that there was no district 13. It's been "hidden" for a very long time. IIRC, the other districts thought that 13 was bombed and destroyed in the beginning of the wars for trying to fight against the Capital.

Yeah, they definitely did a terrible job portraying Coin.
Hopefully they do some justice to the character in the next movie. There are a few intense emotional moments like Coin asking for a new Hunger Games using Capitol children or her death that need some real cold stares and what not
So far, Moore's performance has been lackluster at best.

As for the rest of your post, I have faith. Francis Lawrence has been doing a marvelous job representing the locations described in the books and I'm sure the Capitol (of all things) won't be the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom