• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you guys think Dragon Quest VII 3DS will still happen? Reggie, hear our plight!

Playing Bravely Default, I'm so happy about it because it's bringing back those good ol' JRPG memories. I love it!

I hope it sells well so that Nintendo of America will decide to bring Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS. We all know Square Enix won't give a *bleep* so Nintendo is our only hope!

I'm hoping that's their plan after this to keep the library varied with awesome releases.

I know Reggie loves DQ! Please Reggie, deliver us!

So do you guys think it'll still happen? I'm going to email NoA just to see the status.

isual

I would like that to happen very much.

Only game I have is smt4 and mh3u. Even bought a wiiu for that latter so I double dipped. And that's still my only game on wiiu alolol

They claim they will be more dedicated to bringing over localisations. I'll take Dragon Quest anything at this point.

Edit: They as in Nintendo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It probably will, this year even.

I really wouldn't hold out hope for the other released DQ games on the system though.

Metallix87

Now that Bravely Default is out of the way, I think Dragon Quest VII is definitely next. If we're lucky, maybe the Monsters remakes will come, too, but I'm not holding my breath on those.

Other Theathrythm: Curtain Call and Bravely Second, does Square Enix have any other 3DS games in the pipeline? I can't think of any.

dq7 and the inevitable dq11 are probably the only games coming to the west. dq7 this year to help fill in the barren release schedule.

I'm actually STILL playing Dragon Quest IX (gotta get to those high level grottos) so I'm definitely on a DQ kick right now and would love to play VII. If anything else, just complete the line for consistency's sake (and then finish it with a I-III collection)

Metallix87

Yeah, but the DS remake of VI did not, and Monsters 2 bombed.

VI bombed because it came out of nowhere and had little marketing and was SUPER late. Joker 2, which is what you're referring to, bombed because a superior version was available in Japan, and we got the base version very late.

Rocket Slime 3?!?!?!?!?! :(

Almost zero hope. Maybe as an eShop exclusive, but even that I doubt.

Eusis

It probably will, this year even.

I really wouldn't hold out hope for the other released DQ games on the system though.
Which is a shame, because Slime Mori Mori 3 would probably make for a great download title even if they don't want to bring it to retail, and might even be a light enough localization to justify it.

What would be even better is if Square Enix could be arsed to bring their own damn games over, so we wouldn't have to beg Nintendo.

Velcro Fly

I hope so. I really hope so. I'd buy Dragon Quest anything they localized. I'd even pay the "premium price" like I did with SMT4. The way they pushed Bravely Default I have no doubt they could market DQ7 here and it would do ok.

reggie%20shrug.jpg

DQ7 3DS is the last Dragon Quest game where we really need an import, but I've given up hope. It's over in the Retro Game Challenge pit of infinite despair. (Also tentatively holding: Yakuza)

If it comes, it won't come from Square Enix. Nintendo would need to localize it, and they typically don't announce things until they're close to the release window for it. Now that Bravely is out, I'm sure they will announce it soon, if it is coming at all.

jeremy1456

VI bombed because it came out of nowhere and had little marketing and was SUPER late. Joker 2, which is what you're referring to, bombed because a superior version was available in Japan, and we got the base version very late.

I don't think the fact that a superior version was available in Japan had anything to do with North American sales personally.

I think it's because it was super late, and Nintendo didn't bother to market the games heavily.

Mr. RPG

Every day my hope for a localization of Dragon Quest VII dwindles..

I really, really hope we see it. This is one of my favorite games of all time and I really want to play it on my 3DS.

Despite the Seeds of Salvation trademark, I'm not really sure if it is relate able to this game since it was also filed in Japan and the Japanese title for VII is "Warriors of Eden", which is an appropriate title already.

Also, there were tweets last year that Nintendo chose Bravely Default over VII on what to publish.

And if you consider the several tens of thousands of pages of text needed to translate this beast, there's no wonder why.

If Bravely Default sells well, maybe S-E will do it themselves.

I gave up hope on Nintendo at this point.

If you gave up on Nintendo, then there truly is no hope at all. Square definitely won't do it. The script for DQ7 is massive, and they probably prefer to just bring their mobile port of the original DQ7 overseas.

Nintendo has been focused on Bravely. Now, that it's out worldwide, they can focus/announce this game.

jeremy1456

If Bravely Default sells well, maybe S-E will do it themselves.

I gave up hope on Nintendo at this point.

I think the reason we haven't seen it yet is because Nintendo will be the publisher.

Nintendo was over a year late with 6... maybe it's just me holding out hope.

Every day my hope for a localization of Dragon Quest VII dwindles..

I really, really hope we see it. This is one of my favorite games of all time and I really want to play it on my 3DS.

Despite the Seeds of Salvation trademark, I'm not really sure if it is relate able to this game since it was also filed in Japan and the Japanese title for VII is "Warriors of Eden", which is an appropriate title already.

Also, there were tweets last year that Nintendo chose Bravely Default over VII on what to publish.

And if you consider the several tens of thousands of pages of text needed to translate this beast, there's no wonder why.
Yeah I'm hoping they just chose BD first and DQVII as something they can release to fill the drought. Maybe, just maybe NoA is translating as we write here!

Metallix87

I don't think the fact that a superior version was available in Japan had anything to do with North American sales personally.

I think it's because it was super late, and Nintendo didn't bother to market the games heavily.

The superior version being available absolutely had an impact, at least from my experiences. I knew plenty of people who decided to wait for the superior version, which never came, and some who were actually very angry that we got the "vanilla version" instead of the complete edition. I'll agree that the lateness likely had a bigger impact, but the other issue was still something powerful.

Aeana

Tweets from someone who had no idea what they were talking about and who later retracted the statement. It'd be super great if people would stop perpetuating this.

Mr. RPG

I think the reason we haven't seen it yet is because Nintendo will be the publisher.

Nintendo was over a year late with 6... maybe it's just me holding out hope.

And guess what, they are already over a year late with VII too.

Feb 7, 2013 was the release of VII in Japan.

If you go by ALL of the past Dragon Quest titles that were released in Japan, when they were released in Japan every single of one of them were announced for a western release by the Japanese release date (if they were planned to be release in the west at all) which means if VII is going to be released it will have been the longest period ever for Nintendo or Square-Enix to announce they will release indeed release it. This does not bode well for a possible localization.

I think it could still happen but ONLY if it is announced by E3 this year. If it isn't announced by then, it isn't happening (unless they are skipping the 3DS and going straight to iOS and Android)

Tweets from someone who had no idea what they were talking about and who later retracted the statement. It'd be super great if people would stop perpetuating this.

Source on retracted statement?

jeremy1456

The superior version being available absolutely had an impact, at least from my experiences. I knew plenty of people who decided to wait for the superior version, which never came, and some who were actually very angry that we got the "vanilla version" instead of the complete edition. I'll agree that the lateness likely had a bigger impact, but the other issue was still something powerful.

Maybe among an extreme niche of hardcore fans, but in the big entire world I doubt the impact would have been noticeable at all had it gone either way.

I guarantee only the hardest of hardcore gamers even knew. Probably not even a tenth of a percent of the fanbase which already isn't very big.

jeremy1456

And guess what, they are already over a year late with VII too.

Feb 7, 2013 was the release of VII in Japan.

If you go by ALL of the past Dragon Quest titles that were released in Japan, when they were released in Japan every single of one of them were announced for a western release by the Japanese release date (if they were planned to be release in the west at all) which means if VII is going to be released it will have been the longest period ever for Nintendo or Square-Enix to announce they will release indeed release it. This does not bode well for a possible localization.

I think it could still happen but ONLY if it is announced by E3 this year. If it isn't announced by then, it isn't happening (unless they are skipping the 3DS and going straight to iOS and Android)

I'm pretty sure Dragon Quest VI was released within a two month window from its NA announcement. I remember it being discussed here and most were pretty sure it wasn't going to see release, and then it was announced for Valentine's Day which I'm almost positive was two months later.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I might be (am certainly most of the time) a Nintendo apologist but DQJ2 really isn't their fault. SE was almost done with that version of the game but decided not to publish it over here at all. Nintendo stepped in and paid to have it finished. Going the extra mile to get the original team to do the localization programming on the second version of Joker 2 just wasn't in the cards.

They stepped in anyways and released a version of the game. More than I frankly expected.

Didn't Reggie already come out and say they don't listen to you guys?
Naw, man! Reggie is for us! Why else would he be a regular guest on Jimmy Fallon!?

Once Fallon goes to Tonight Show, more people will see Reggie in the spotlight. And more people will know about the Wii U and Nintendo's fortunes could turnaround as the word gets out there!

Slightly not serious of course, but if Reggie is exposed more on the Tonight Show, it could be strong marketing to people. For one thing he can finally educate people that the Wii U is not just another Wii with a gamepad!

Top Bottom