• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC Spoiler thread

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Considering the fact that some people have already played the DLC, this can be the thread where spoiler discussion can take place. There are big spoilers out there, so please let's be kind and help everyone else avoid those spoilers.

Please lock if old!

romulus91

what an amazing and humanizing twist .... i thought they had a moment (ellie glimpses at her lips) in the photo booth but brushed it off as a mistake ,.... loved it

Wotanik

Banned
I knew why it is released on Valentine's Day! I just knew it! Ellie has a crush on Riley and they share a moment (that kiss was sweet!!!), then eventually their future together is doomed. That's why Ellie is so gutted in TLOU.

Pretty decent twist in the story. A bit too hollywoodish, but the ending makes it good. ND left the ending for our imagination. Good stuff.

9/10. I gave TLOU a solid 11/10, so this makes the whole experience 10/10. I raise my hat Naughty Gods, I bow to thee. You've made an experiece that will remain in our consciousness forever. Kudos!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I appreciated the fact that it wasn't just a straight prequel.
The Halloween section was well done. And I wasn't expecting the romance at all.
Angel Knives game was incredible.

By the way, what does the facebook mechanism do? I am thinking of replaying it and connecting facebook for my second run.

Alienous

Ugh. I get it. It was hinted at in the main campaign of The Last of Us but ... I don't know, it makes Ellie less of a character and more of a tool to subvert tropes, in my eyes. I guess she was always that, really.

The production values are top notch, though.

Ace001

I appreciated the fact that it wasn't just a straight prequel.
The Halloween section was well done. And I wasn't expecting the romance at all.
Angel Knives game was incredible.

By the way, what does the facebook mechanism do? I am thinking of replaying it and connecting facebook for my second run.

It posts the photos from the photo booth to your Facebook wall

LuuKyK

Ugh. I get it. It was hinted at in the main campaign of The Last of Us but ... I don't know, it makes Ellie less of a character and more of a tool to subvert tropes, in my eyes. I guess she was always that, really.

The production values are top notch, though.

Really? I thought it was pretty clear even in the full game. But the best part for me is the fact that she mentions that their boy friend that died was "quite handsome" and moments after she is kissing Riley. It shows how a kid that was raised in a society without preconceptions would actually think. She had no idea what was right or wrong in a relationship. She saw no problems in admitting that the boy was attractive but also didn't think when she wanted to kiss Riley, she was just enjoying the moment.

Gonna post my thoughts from the other thread here since it's just a wall of spoiler tags lol:

Regarding gameplay:

One thing that was missing from the main game but fortunately not here was encounters involving humans and infected. Making the infected attack the humans with a well placed bottle/brick was awesome.

Regarding story:

First of all, the jokes man, so awesome! Some of the are so friggin' dumb but hilarious at the same time.

And the fortune-telling skull, hilarious. "Will I ever grow boobs" lol

Then there's the part in the photo booth, such a cool moment.

Ending felt a bit sudden, I thought we would have to kill Riley. We didn't even see Ellie's reaction to the fact that she didn't turn. Only thing that kinda disappointed me.
The part were Ellie kissed Riley, it kinda surprised me that it happened but I was also kinda expecting it. In the photo booth when I saw the "love" option I actually thought that their relation was leaning more towards that.

All in all I absolutely loved it and it's filled with the kind of moments that you really don't expect to see in a AAA game. I guess the combination of this being a dlc plus their awareness of how much people like Ellie encouraged them to play around a bit.

It's really amazing how human and real these characters feel and how the game absorbs the player into that world.

There's some really god-tier concept art in the bonuses section btw.

Loved that they also included an extension of the Fall chapter. Not only was it a piece of story people wanted to see but going back and forth between the present and past allowed them to pace the game perfectly.
Otherwise it would've been either just walking around or constant action since Ellie's situation in the present wouldn't allow for any laid back moments.

JawzPause

Copying what I posted in the other thread.
Some thoughts:
I really enjoyed it.
Gameplay was fun and the story was great.
Didn't expect the kiss from Ellie.
Ending was a bit anticlimactic, was expecting to see them actually get bit and then to see Riley turn infected. Really surprised they didn't include that.
All in all I still really enjoyed it, solid 8/10 from me.

wapplew

ND is just showboating animation skill in this DLC, my god those facial expression!
Last encounter is a bitch, I don't know what to do until clicker come in and save the day.
Enjoy every bit of the flash back part, playful and lots of fun moment.
Save Joe part lack a bit of urgency because we knew he's gonna make it in the main game, but the encounter is quite challenging and fun.
The part when Riley say she going to leave feel a lot like main game ending conversation, another "okey" from Ellie.
Kissing part is very well done, now that we know Joe and Ellie will always be father and daughter relationship and nothing more.

AKyemeni

original

Lakitu

st5fu
That kiss was so sweet. Such a pity, how it turned out...

Great DLC, loved all the character interaction with Riley and just having some fun. The beat-em-up was hilarious.

That kiss was so unexpected. Yet incredibly sweet. Lovely.

I saw Ellie's innocence shine in the main game a few times, but here it's really evident, only to see afterwards - given what's just happened to Joel - how cruelly life has taken it away from her.

Loved LB, loved it.

ND is just showboating animation skill in this DLC, my god those facial expression!
Last encounter is a bitch, I don't know what to do until clicker come in and save the day.
Save Joe part lack a bit of urgency because we knew he's gonna make it in the main game, but the encounter is quite challenging and fun.
The part when Riley say she going to leave feel a lot like main game ending conversation, another "okey" from Ellie.
Kissing part is very well done, now that we know Joe and Ellie will always be father and daughter relationship and nothing more.

If you take too long they open the door and kill Joel though.

Endo Punk

So. Fucking. Good. I was scared they were going to give (prequel)Ellie a gun but the way they handled the story and the back and forth was masterful imo, the pacing was perfect and I really enjoyed the playfulness with Riley. Length was just right and sorta makes me laugh it was ever considered a problem. First playthrough was just shy of 3 hours for me.

jediyoshi

Surprised I went this whole time without knowing parts took place during the actual campaign. I wish they made an option now for the main campaign to have the mashing triangle prompt be replaced with the DLC's holding solution.

All the one off bits with Riley were great. Halloween store, window breaking, merry go round, pun book, photobooth, etc. Glad they didn't go the obvious route and have a stealth segment where you had to avoid humans or infected together.

Between the comics and this, I didn't see the romance bit coming at all. The water guns and scene leading up to it make it all feel completely earned though.

Think I'm a little surprised at how there wasn't any Marlene or bigger Joel part whatsoever, but I guess that would've just detracted from the main focus between Ellie/Riley.

My only big complaint was the difficulty ramp in the combat towards the end. The infected/survivor encounters were neat, but I rolled my eyes when the second wave came at the very end.

I did some screenshots :

Great screens ^^

Superflat

Just finished. Took me about three hours.

Really, really cool.

I have to admit, the cynicism in me did think, "Man, they're really going all out to make Ellie the ultimate anti-trope", but it was done well, and it was sweet. It also felt like it was necessary--without it, there wouldn't really be much of a story to tell. It would have been empty if it felt tacked on.

The facial animation is just amazing, notably outside the cutscenes. Outdid the campaign in that aspect for sure.

Having the human enemies and infected in the same area was a big surprise. I think it worked out well for the most part, though it had its moments of weirdness.

Amazing DLC, loved the pace the between past and present.
If i had one bad thing to say about the DLC is that the ending ended abruptly, would've like seeing something more intense or at least how Riley...
Which leads me to believe this, I know its going to find crazy but the fact that they didn't show Riley died makes me think she might be still alive. I know Ellie said that she died but GODDAMMIT I WANT A SEQUEL!

BTW it took me 2 hours and 30 minutes on Survival and found all artifacts, although I somehow missed a Conversation and got a few times on the Fighting game, more reasons to come back on Easy and kick ass.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was completely fine with not seeing Riley turn etc. that is better left to the imagination. Plus it'd be a slow burn thing, as Riley turns and Ellie realises she isn't. Wouldn't fit IMO.

One negative from me was the spawning enemies. In a couple of the early/mid-game sections, you are in a completely enclosed area - in one of them you actually have to get power going because you can't get out. You explore fully. Then you press the trigger (eg getting the fuel can) and poof! There are infected from nowhere. Just felt a little too artificial.

Huh?

Anyway, I finished it last night on Hard and loved it. Going back to winter was a big shock to me, as I'd completely expected just a prequel and had no issues with letting my imagination play with all those gaps in the story, but they created a great little sequence that completely delivered. That final encounter in particular was pretty fucking brutal but still fun.

The prequel parts were great breaks in between the more tense winter bits. I wasn't sure how they'd make me care about Riley in such a short piece of DLC but they did, with their (typically) great writing.

I'll play through it again later today on Survivor while getting the last few collectables (I ended with 26) and last few conversations (no idea what ones I missed, as I did a lot of them).

For the people who linked their Facebook account, what all did that do? Was it just for the photo booth or was there more to it?

EDIT: Oops, already answered.

wapplew

For the people who linked their Facebook account, what all did that do? Was it just for the photo booth or was there more to it?

EDIT: Oops, already answered.

It send this to your facebook account, nice little touch there, also that photo booth have a website of its own.
And there is a meta story on twitter according to Neil and Bruce which I totally miss, gonna play it again.
ibwBkhfUT2VmxQ.jpg

Danielsan

Man, that was really really good. Had a smile on my face during so many moments. Loved the moments in the photo booth, the water fight, the carousel, the skull and the pun book.

Acting and animation were stellar once again. So many emotions conveyed perfectly through both the facial animation and the voice acting.

And the combat near the end reminded me why I enjoyed it so much in the first place. Very satisfying.

I laughed out loud when Ellie asked the skull if she'd ever play a video game and the skull said no and Ellie said "Fuck you skull!"

Yeah, but doesn't it usually take up to two days to turn? What did they do in the meantime? They'd need food to be able to actually wait it out. They probably just scavenged a bit of food, holed up somewhere, did whatever, Riley turned, Ellie had to put her down and she didn't understand why she wouldn't turn. She went back, waited a bit more and when she simply wouldn't turn into an infected, she sought out and found Marlene and told her what happened. Marlene nearly shot her, decided not to and started believing her, tried to set up an extraction, failed and eventually decided to ask the help of Joel and Tess.

Then TLOU happened. Pretty straightforward.

Yea, I'll buy that. :D

Carl

Just finished it. Credits rolling as i type. What a beautiful piece of DLC. Ellie is god damn adorable, but we all know that.

The fortune telling skull was amazing, haha

Facebook sharing got a laugh out of me. I saw the kiss as just a "hey, you're a great friend" kiss though, not as a "OH MY GOD I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU" kiss.

I sort of like and dislike the implied romance between Ellie & Riley. Maturely done sure but with all the Lesbians! jokes before release kind of ruined it for me. Beautiful and heartbreaking just like the main game. Last of Us always feels completely different to literally every other game in my collection including stuff like Witcher, Mass Effect, Portal; you know games that are supposed to have great storytelling and writing (at least ME 1). I can't quite put my finger on it, perhaps because it's so subdued and small scale, just a bunch of people trying to survive. Humans as opposed to heroes.

jediyoshi

So... I'm assuming Ellie ended up killing Riley? Obviously, only one of them subsequently turned.

At this point I don't think they'd need to spell it out, but I imagine Riley turned and Ellie just got out of there. She hadn't fired a gun until the actual campaign, so unless Ellie knifed Riley down, she probably just dipped with no kind of mercy killing involved.

Love it !

But I feel that the ending was cut too early.... They could easily do left behind part 2 where you're getting back to Fireflys and running from government troops.

Oh and I really liked that helicopter crew story. Quite sad :(

Alienous

No she wasn't and no it didn't. It merely added something to her already well fleshed out character. Characters subverting tropes does not mean they're intentionally created just for doing so. A lot of these tropes are outdated, ridiculous and occasionally misogynistic or homophobic, so this is just natural progression.

One character subverting that many tropes isn't anything close to "the natural progression". Tropes definitely have some validity, and when a character subscribes to none of them they seem more like an anti-trope role model than a character.

TripOpt55

Reposting this from the other thread:

Oh man I loved this. I wasn't sure how they'd handle turning this particular story into a great DLC, but I figured Naughty Dog knew what they were doing and boy did they deliver. I loved how they handled both combat and non-combat portions. A must play.

It starts with the revelation that it will cover both the prequel which I was expecting from what little I knew about the DLC AND the part between Fall and Winter in the main game. With it just being a prequel I really didn't know how they'd handle combat. I thought the quieter moments only worked in the full game as a respite between the intense combat, so the back and forth between the two different time periods worked perfectly.

There still wasn't a ton of combat, but I loved the three way battles and turning the infected against the hunters. Just a great addition to things.

And then the non-combat moments between Ellie and Riley were awesome. I loved all the little games and moments they experienced together. They did some surprisingly clever things with existing mechanics like the breaking windows on the cars and the water gun fight, but also new ideas like the video game and photo booth.

I also think where they left things at the end instead of letting you see Riley turn for instance was a good call.

Zarrastro

I love how ND risks at storytelling. This is a deeply personal story, meant for people who really loved the game and Ellie. It took me 4-5 hours to beat, exploring every nook and cranny, and i absolutely loved it. The part with Riley is perfect, with its playful moments. Yo get to see Ellie as a true 14-year old: she's sweet and innocent. For now... Poor thing.
The pre-winter bit is also great. It's there to both tell that bit of the story and to add tension and action to the whole story. I liked the pace of it and i absolutely LOVED watching infected fighting survivors. COOL
As stated above, being given the rifle at the VERY end was... odd. It was like WTH? the gun/bow/infinte knife combination was perfect. I never needed the rifle. I don't know... It was just weird.
I like the ending. It was very abrupt (Druckmann said at IGN that it was done in a month because they weren't going to include them getting bitten) but i like how it doesn't show HOW things turned out. Just like the main game, it leaves all to the player's imagination. I like that they allow me to do that.
The final fight was indeed too "I don't have a boss so lets do a difficult fight to show this is ending" I think i can stealth my way through it, at least til the reinforcements come... I'll try next time i play it.

Great job, ND. And great job, Mr Santaolalla :)

Top Bottom