• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC Spoiler thread

boeso

Mayyyne that was amazing. Had everything; suspense sections, stealth, adrenaline bits, new weapons. I friggin loved using the clickers against the hunters, so cool.

Emotional end. Great stuff from Naughty Dog again and definitely worth another replay for me.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Ugh. I get it. It was hinted at in the main campaign of The Last of Us but ... I don't know, it makes Ellie less of a character and more of a tool to subvert tropes, in my eyes. I guess she was always that, really.

The production values are top notch, though.
Really? Where? I never got that impression during the main game.

Mayyyne that was amazing. Had everything; suspense sections, stealth, adrenaline bits, new weapons. I friggin loved using the clickers against the hunters, so cool.

Emotional end. Great stuff from Naughty Dog again and definitely worth another replay for me.

New weapons?

kanuuna

Where was the skull,Halloween store? Missed it

Halloween Store, by the window on the side of the room from which you enter the space.

Really good and funny dialogue in the DLC. Pacing was perfect for the two hours and twentyish minutes it took me on my playthrough on Hard. I really wouldn't mind this kind of 'bite sized' DLC in future Naughty Dog games.
Just an incredibly polished, slice of a story with great production values that can be thoroughly enjoyed in a single sitting.

Carl

Because it's better

Just think it fits her better, and the kiss just seemed more of a friendly kiss than anything else. Rather than being thrown in just for the sake of being different to every other game, which is what it sounds like when you say it was a "love" kiss.

Alienous

I doubt that was what he meant. Everyone's entitled to his or her opinions, but I thought the moment was earned and it fit Ellie's character.

Then I can't imagine what he meant.

But sure, I know people will see it differently. It just came across, to me, as a heavy handed way of bringing Ellie closer to being the embodiment of the anti-trope. I couldn't say it was earned because most of relationship, at least until the infatuation stage, isn't shown to us. We see the two characters when they already have a very strong bond.

It was a predictable 'creating a role model character' type move, which made me value Ellie less as a character in a created universe and more as what she's supposed to represent and be a commentary on.

At this point I don't think they'd need to spell it out, but I imagine Riley turned and Ellie just got out of there. She hadn't fired a gun until the actual campaign, so unless Ellie knifed Riley down, she probably just dipped with no kind of mercy killing involved.

So... Riley is still out there!

And thus the sequel is born! It'll be like that Warm Bodies movie.

Don't ever hire me for a writing gig Naughty Dog.

Now that i got it running.

Took me 2:37h. Overall great DLC. Totally didn´t expect the parts playing during the main game.

Loved the part where Ellie played that videogame (can´t remember the name). The Ellie/Riley dynamic was great and i was thinking all along that something was going on between the two. Then the kiss. And all hell breaks loose.

I do think that 15€ is a little bit too expensive and right on the edge of not recommending.

Ignoring the price: 9/10

aly

Welp, I bit the bullet and bought it. I loved the exploring and dialogue, especially the Halloween shop. Kept picking up the skull and changing masks. Anyway, it was the perfect DLC, I think, even with the abrupt ending and short length.

About the kiss: I am actually kinda disappointed it went that way. I was hoping for a cool teenage girl friendship where the two were like sisters who had each other, even when they had no one else or weren't related by blood. I'll get my teenage platonic friendship game somewhere else I guess.

I just want to skip to Halloween and brick throwing again. That part was the best.

CLBridges

Making this post as the credits roll from me finishing up this DLC. ND is fantastic! Even before playing the DLC I knew what the outcome of this story would be and still I'm amazed. Maybe I'm just easy to please but the story was great and I loved the subtle things that stood out and lead up to eventually figuring out Ellie had a crush on Riley. I played on Hard and that last encounter was pretty rough but I made it through as soon as I got the Hunter Rifle to drop.

I love the gameplay of tLOU and just this small revisit of the world ND created was enough. I finished it in a little over two hours but the money was well worth the cost of admission. I may go back and try it on Survivor and take a more stealthy approach. Overall, great revisit and I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Just finished it. Credits rolling as i type. What a beautiful piece of DLC. Ellie is god damn adorable, but we all know that.

The fortune telling skull was amazing, haha

Facebook sharing got a laugh out of me. I saw the kiss as just a "hey, you're a great friend" kiss though, not as a "OH MY GOD I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU" kiss.

I think it was a lot more than a casual kiss but yeah, I don't think one kiss to her best (and only) friend when she's 14 years old is definite proof of anything.

LudicrouslyLiam

Neo Member
The kiss moment was so smartly done. My intial thought was "Are they like...man I'm just being dirty minded. They're just REALLY, really tight friends".

The more I thought on it though, the more I realised Ellie/Riley don't know of any social stigmas surrounding sexuality. For them society has changed completely - they're pretty bemused with things they interact with in the mall for example ("people bought this stuff?"). When I finally understood that they're actually in love with each other...it's kinda creepy what our society predisposes you to think of certain things.

I absolutely LOVED the bit where you're following the story of the two survivors from the crashed helicopter, and how you slowly start to realise that it's mirrowing what you're doing for Joel. It fully clicked for me after hearing the recorder where the woman walked 10 miles and then turned back, and then Ellie grapsing the medical supplies saying "I'm not letting you go". The fact that I can, without trying to, attach meaning between gameplay and cutscene is such a testament to their world building - it's a seamless combination of the two.

It's also pretty seamless how they managed to fit Ellie/Riley exploration with Ellie's combat. You really get a sense of how Ellie has gotten more capable during the events of TLOU. Still, there really wasn't much combat, which I was worried about. Yet I was still fully engaged the whole time, so they somehow got the balance right.

Ellie is pretty much the most realistic character in any game ever.

Then I can't imagine what he meant.

But sure, I know people will see it differently. It just came across, to me, as a heavy handed way of bringing Ellie closer to being the embodiment of the anti-trope. I couldn't say it was earned because most of relationship, at least until the infatuation stage, isn't shown to us. We see the two characters when they already have a very strong bond.

It was a predictable 'creating a role model character' type move, which made me value Ellie less as a character in a created universe and more as what she's supposed to represent and be a commentary on.

We've seen their relationship from the moment they meet for the first time thanks to the comic.
Where is this anti-trope thing coming from? Do you really think that was the writer's motivation? Give me a break.
Writers play it safe: they're cowards.
Writers try different things: they're just going against tropes/trying to be edgy.
Jesus Christ.

ksdixon

No question about it now: I want an 'among the infected' multiplayer mode where the two teams have runners, stalkers, clickers and maybe a single bloater running around the map as they're trying to get supply boxes/kill each other etc.

I think that entire area outside of the shop where Joel was (the final fight area) should be a multiplayer map, with some of those shops opened-up for extra map space.

Carl

About the kiss: I am actually kinda disappointed it went that way. I was hoping for a cool teenage girl friendship where the two were like sisters who had each other, even when they had no one else or weren't related by blood.

I think this is what got me about it too. Couldn't quite put my finger on it, but i think you did it for me. As i say, i saw it as a friendly kiss but was still kind of thrown off a bit by its inclusion

When I was that age I had several of my female friends kiss each other and they aren't lesbians.
Sometimes when girls of that age are really close it tends to happen.

TsuWave

About the kiss: I am actually kinda disappointed it went that way. I was hoping for a cool teenage girl friendship where the two were like sisters who had each other, even when they had no one else or weren't related by blood. I'll get my teenage platonic friendship game somewhere else I guess.

you do know its all that too right?

people are looking too deeply into that kiss, forgetting ellie is just a teenage girl in a world that hasn't have time for conventional concepts of sexuality or affection

Alienous

We've seen their relationship from the moment they meet for the first time thanks to the comic.
Where is this anti-trope thing coming from? Do you really think that was the writer's motivation? Give me a break.
Writers play it safe: they're cowards.
Writers try different things: they're just going against tropes/trying to be edgy.
Jesus Christ.

Ah, ok, I never picked up the comic.

And it isn't that. If you write a character that goes entirely by tropes that's bad writing. If you write a character that is 'trope-less' or very much 'anti-trope' it's also bad writing. And a little bit pretentious.

It's really just the culmination of all of the anti-trope aspects of Ellie. It wasn't really apparent to me until Left Behind, with the kiss. "As a character she really is trope-less. Even within the games context, that's weird". That was my thought process.

It just made me view the character in the context of "Yeah, she's about subverting the expectations of what a teenage, female character is expected to do" in a way that didn't occur to me in the campaign. But, in reflection, it was always that. As such the character just feels more contrived, and much less organic that I had given it credit for. "Oh, there's Ellie, representing ______ which isn't usually represented".

people are looking too deeply into that kiss, forgetting ellie is just a teenage girl in a world that hasn't have time for conventional concepts of sexuality or affection

Yeah, but then they react to some of the pun joke punchlines that would indicate otherwise. And the reaction "I don't know if they'll go for this". They do consider it in the context of affection and sexuality.

Lyonaz

Left Behind was amazing, Ioved the story being told.
Hanging around the mall with Riley was a great experience. So many cool things.
The jokes/puns continues to be fantastic.

Also Ellie is such a potty mouth. "Skeleseer can suck my dick" I almost spat out my drink when I heard that.

So what's left for the Season Pass?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Left Behind was amazing, Ioved the story being told.
Hanging around the mall with Riley was a great experience. So many cool things.
The jokes/puns continues to be fantastic.

Also Ellie is such a potty mouth. "Skeleseer can suck my dick" I almost spat out my drink when I heard that.

So what's left for the Season Pass?

SP is done, last DLC is MP again.

Carl

When I was that age I had several of my female friends kiss each other and they aren't lesbians.

Yeah this is exactly why i saw it as more of a friendly kiss than a loving kiss.

Yeah, people are blowing it out of proportion. Like I said it's relatively common and something that can happen in the heat of the moment as a demonstration of affection. It doesn't mean they were getting married lol.

Alienous

Yeah this is exactly why i saw it as more of a friendly kiss than a loving kiss.

I do think it was intentionally portrayed as a loving kiss. It seems acted that way, and the dialogue indicates it as something more than a friendly kiss. And the lead up.

Sn4ke_911

I do think it was intentionally portrayed as a loving kiss. It seems acted that way, and the dialogue indicates it as something more than a friendly kiss. And the lead up.

Yeah, you know young girls can fall in love too. I think this scene was perfect.

Also Druckmann and Straley confirmed on IGN's spoiler podcast Ellie has a crush on Riley.

Carl

Really? I think if anything the lead up shows it was more of a friendly kiss :p

I don't care if it's the right interpretation or not, i prefer it to be a friendly kiss.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I don't care if it's the right interpretation or not, i prefer it to be a friendly kiss.

What? Did you lead a sheltered life? It was a kiss of love on VALENTINES day. Didn't you go into the photo booth and see the awkwardness between the two girls?

Sn4ke_911

What? Did you lead a sheltered life? It was a kiss of love on VALENTINES day. Didn't you go into the photo booth and see the awkwardness between the two girls?

Oh and this. There is a reason why the dlc got released on Valentine's Day.

Alienous

It was about as loving as you could get without it being touted as sick filth on FOX News tomorrow.

It's well portrayed in that regard. But yeah, I see where you're coming from. You can't deny it though.

Carl

No awkwardness in my playthrough. And like i said before, i think the friendly kiss fits better and fit the situation better

Sure it was "loving" but (i thought) more of a close friendship love. But hey, i can see i'm in the minority on this.

aly

Didn't Druckmann say she had a crush on Riley? Also Valentines Day, which should've been a big clue, unless you thought they were gonna subvert the typical stuff that comes out on that day.

Top Bottom