• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo Pocket Color Appreciation Thread: Way Ahead of the Game (Boy)

I have recently been hit hard with the NGPC bug and got back into collecting for it. Did a search and realized there was no Appreciation Thread for it!!! I will be adding to the OP as we go.

The system is cheap as well as most of the games. You can get a 10 pack of brand new carts for the NGPC on ebay for $40 now (http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-LOT-SNK-...1082?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e645a304a)

Oh, and the BEST handheld controls, ever. Clicky stick!

Brief History:

The Neo Geo Pocket Color (shortened NGPC), is a 16-bit colour handheld video game console manufactured by SNK. It is a successor to SNK's monochrome Neo Geo Pocket handheld which debuted in 1998 in Japan. The Neo Geo Pocket Color was released on March 16, 1999 in Japan, August 6, 1999 in North America, and on October 1, 1999 in Europe.
The Neo Geo Pocket Color was SNK's last video game console, and is backwards compatible with the Neo Geo Pocket. In 2000, following SNK's purchase by American pachinko manufacturer Aruze, the Neo Geo Pocket Color was dropped from both the North American and European markets. It did, however, last until 2001 in Japan, with a total of 2 million units sold.

US Release Notes:
The NA version of the Neo Geo Pocket Color had an exclusive launch on the website eToys in 1999. eToys also sold the initial launch titles in the preferred plastic snap lock cases. The system debuted in the United States with six launch titles (twenty promised by end of year) and retail price of $69.95. Six different unit colors were available: Camouflage Blue, Carbon Black, Crystal White, Platinum Blue, Platinum Silver, and Stone Blue.
Before SNK was bought out, the Neo Geo Pocket Color was being advertised on US television and units were being sold nationally in Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Toys "R" Us, and other large retail chains.

US Packaging at Launch (Bundled with Sonic Pocket Adventure)

Original Hardware:

Launch Colors for the US:

Slim Line Revision:

Advertisements:

Snap Cases used in the Europe/Japan Markets
Via thegaygamer.com

Fun Facts:

• [*]40 Hours of Battery Life on two AA Batteries!!!
    [*]REGION FREE
  • Linked to the Sega Dreamcast to share information between specific games
  • The NGPC was the last piece of hardware SNK/Playmore ever produced
  • Games are really cheap, most are $5 or less

Stand Out Games

SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium

Sonic Pocket Adventures

Gals Fighter

Metal Slug: 1st Mission

Metal Slug: 2nd Mission

Card Fighters Clash

Need a system? Amazon still has resellers selling Brand New Units for $99:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001OPJC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My Hands On Video (more to come):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltu-HUiek1I

Now, what are your favorite memories of the NGPC? Best Games for the system? Let's hear it!

Cynn

I absolutely love the NGP and collected it at release. I have the pocket and pocket color models as well as DC connectors, Nyko accessories, etc.

Gunsmithx

Always wanted onr as well, might finally be time to grab it and games,

Two things,
1. Are the prices on games as bad as some of the other retro stuff and

2. Is it region free?

Two things,

2. Is it region free?

Most games are $5 or less. I posted a link in the OP where you can get a 10 pack for $40. And yes, region free.

Had a friend that picked this over a gameboy. It was pretty damn cool, and looked way better than the gameboy that was available at the time. Too bad, it didn't have any games. The local Wal-Mart pulled it out a couple months after it started selling Neo Geos.

MC Safety

If you get a Pocket Color you have to get SNK vs. Capcom Cardfighters Clash.

There's two versions, one for each company, and the game will eat your life.

Artorias

Banned
Hell yes. Thanks so much for making this thread. I thought about it but I am so bad at organizing information haha.

I will dig into my collection later to get some pics. I don't have anything especially rare but I have a good majority of the US releases, and a lot of cool accessories. I had 6 of the consoles a few years ago but I sold 3.

Also, I failed PE as a freshman in High School because of Biomotor Unitron and Dive Alert.

chrislowe

I have both a color version, and one black & white version.

The tennis game, and Metal Slug gave me lots of fun hours, but I always thought the screen should have been backlit, that was the biggest flaw of the system.

Two things,

2. Is it region free?

1. Generally ok except for SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters 2 (Japan only) and Fasalei.

2. I think so! Go PAL because the boxes were clamshell and thus superior!

Was a great system for sure. SNK vs Capcom was a great little fighter. Incredibly playable and fun.

Currently after Fasalei and Gals Fighter myself...and Sonic!

I still take this out every once in a while to play snk vs capcom

It is such a fun little fighting game on top of having great mini games and addicting character unlocking

I love that system so much, and really wish someone else would eventually take on that clicky analog pad.

Funny, I still only ever had the one game for it...

kunonabi

probably my favorite portable until the 3ds. I actually stopped playing handhelds when it died come to think of it. it was a godsend for capcom vs snk on the dreamcast. me an 4 friends unlocked everything in that game in one night thanks to having two ngpc with us. i was thought the blue camo was on the best looks for a handheld. I think i'm to rebuy now that the 3ds is obviously never going to build a decent vc for it.

rtcn63

I bought one of these back in high school at initial release, along with Cardfighter's Clash and SNK vs Capcom. Took it to class, and this butt hole dropped it, destroying the battery cover. And... found it. Needs a cleaning, bad.

iQHTPWN4l4sSh.jpg

P4P awesomest thumbstick yo.

Loved the crap out of my NGPC. Still haven't played a better 1 on 1 fighting game on handheld, and that's primarily because of the hardware. Such a great little responsive stick.

Also, we had it good in the UK. Great support from SNK and those beautiful clamshells. Just gutted I didn't buy more when I had the chance. Still got Faselei though.

Tiktaalik

This system came out during one of the short periods where I was completely out of the gaming loop and so I had no idea it even existed, until it didn't.

I want one now, but I live in a tiny condo and I'm not sure I want to get too much back into collecting.

Loved the crap out of my NGPC. Still haven't played a better 1 on 1 fighting game on handheld, and that's primarily because of the hardware. Such a great little responsive stick.

Also, we had it good in the UK. Great support from SNK and those beautiful clamshells. Just gutted I didn't buy more when I had the chance. Still got Faselei though.

UK/Japan won this console round with the awesome snap cases.

Via thegaygamer.com

Ramune

Took these 5 years ago and haven't expanded it since. That, and my Genesis and SNES collections need some work. -_-;

I will say while they are cardboard, they are pretty durable compared to the equivalent GB(C/A) boxes. They are still in the same condition as this picture. The only messed up one is Sonic which is dented in the lower right corner and I was naive at the time about exchanging for a better box back then. How I've changed. Now if it's not even in original factory shrink wrap, I take it back for an exchange. ^_^;

Everyone that saw it LOVED the Pocket Color. Would let a friend play a bit of Sonic during our Japanese studying at Borders after class. People in general found Match of the Millennium quite stunning at the time. My little cousins at the time would gravitate towards King of Fighters R-2 when I visited compared to their Pokemon games. XD

I bought mine during the NA Dreamcast launch. I got the weirdest stares, but as I didn't make much money at the time, the Pocket Color was my upgrade to the Game Gear and I always loved giving the underdog a chance when it came to handhelds (probably why I loved my PSP and in love with my Vita).

Metal-Geo

I own three of these bastards! One normal NGPC model, and two 'slim' NGPC models, with the Pocket case.

Metal Slug 2nd Mission and Sonic Pocket Adventure were so much fun to 100%.

Yes Boss!

Got in on this system around 2005 when they were dumping the extra unites with a few extra games.

At that point was not into non-backlit handhelds and subsequently sold it. I'm definitely interested in trying the system out again and getting it backlit (since it appears that it will never appear on VC).

Incidentally, this system was very popular in France at the turn of the century. Used to see lots of folks play the system on the metro in Paris.

John Blade

Hey CoachKevin

Did you every have a chance to ask the ebay seller about the front mod for the ngpc. Also, always want to start a post for this but can`t as I am still new on the forum. Might help out a bit here to make it more professional.

Leonsito

I've been looking to get one in Spain, but people is asking 80€ or more for it, it's safe to buy an US or UK one? I mean, it's the same hardware?

HyperHip

Always wanted one of these back in the day for Sonic and SvC.

Has anyone tried the megaman game on this system? Was it any good?

Did anyone ever successfully figure out a backlight mod? The lack of such a feature is what has always kept me from going back to it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Great library. Highest ratio of quality to quantity of any console, imo. Plus the games are not expensive to get either, despite not selling well.

<3 Cardfighter Clash

My collection consists of 3 handhelds and the following games:

Baseball Stars Color
Biomotor Unitron
Dark Arms: Beast Busters
Dive Alert: Becky's Version
Faselei!
Gals Fighters
King of Fighters R2
Metal Slug 1st Mission
Metal Slug 2nd Mission
Neo Geo Cup 98 Plus
Neo Turf Masters
Pac-Man
Picture Puzzle
Puzzle Bobble Mini
Puzzle Link
Puzzle Link 2
Samurai Shodown! 2
Shanghai Mini
SNK vs Capcom: Cardfighter Clash (Capcom Version)
SNK vs Capcom: The Match of the Millenium
Sonic Pocket Adventure

(Sold the Tennis game but I should get it again. Easiest game ever though.)

I love my NGPC... Picked up my original back when EB was selling them for a while. Eventually got the NGP and the Japan-only slim-line NGPC as well, and have picked up a few NA systems here and there over the years... I've got a pretty comprehensive collection of the games as well, and I love the fighters on the brilliant stick, but back in the day it was Faselei that hooked me on the system. I can't count the number of hours I sank into that game...

I got one of my NGPC front-lit modded by someone else using a GB front light modding kit and it sucks... the front light really washes out the colors of the LCD so you can't even tell what they are, and besides that the light is uneven and not very bright... It cost me $100+ and I never use the thing...

Shoyz

Definitely my favorite retro handheld. Very few duds in the library (only the gambling games, really). Why only the UK got the hard cases is beyond me however, which makes collecting them prohibitively expensive, and is why my collection will likely never see beyond PuyoPop, Puzzle Bobble and Sonic. I'd love to pick up a Flashmasta but $120 is so much.

Transparent blue slim best model.

This thread was actually my first exposure to the realization of "slim" NGPCs. I've seen them before, but didn't recognize them to be altogether different revisions. Neat.

Definitely my favorite retro handheld. Very few duds in the library (only the gambling games, really). Why only the UK got the hard cases is beyond me however, which makes collecting them prohibitively expensive, and is why my collection will likely never see beyond PuyoPop, Puzzle Bobble and Sonic. I'd love to pick up a Flashmasta but $120 is so much.

Transparent blue slim best model.

Hoping to find one of the transparent blue ones when I am in Japan next week. I love all of the slim models.

PsionBolt

Card Fighters Clash 1 and 2 are quite possibly my favourite card game games of all time. (Though Pokemon TCG 1 and 2 are up there too.) Card Fighters DS was such a letdown in comparison.
I honestly got just those 2 games, and felt satisfied. I should probably check out the rest of the library... One of these days, maybe.

G0523

I still have my Neo Geo Pocket Color and like 7 games for it. It is a pretty cool handheld. Wish it had a backlight now though.

For the Dreamcast to Neo Geo Pocket Link Cable, can you play NGPC games on the TV?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Faselei is still one of my favorite games. Wonder how it holds up all these years later...

Card fighter clash games are also favorites of mine.

Ramune

I still have my Neo Geo Pocket Color and like 7 games for it. It is a pretty cool handheld. Wish it had a backlight now though.

For the Dreamcast to Neo Geo Pocket Link Cable, can you play NGPC games on the TV?

No, it was Sega's answer to Nintendo's GB -> N64 linking where certain things you do in one game (King of Fighters R-2 for example), unlocked stuff in a compatible Dreamcast game (in this case King of Fighters 99' Dream Match). Mostly limited to the KOF games and maybe Capcom vs. SNK 2 on the Dreamcast side.

Unlike the GBA, it wasn't a pain playing against a light on the NGPC.

fushi

Yeah, same. It's painful to the eyes to play without one. And my Nyko led-light thingie has died too (same one as picture above in this thread).

If any front-lit models come back on sale I'd probably buy one.

By the way, the Japanese version of Faselei has full English text in it and is dirt-cheap on Ebay. Just so you guys know.

G0523

No, it was Sega's answer to Nintendo's GB -> N64 linking where certain things you do in one game (King of Fighters R-2 for example), unlocked stuff in a compatible Dreamcast game (in this case King of Fighters 99' Dream Match). Mostly limited to the KOF games and maybe Capcom vs. SNK 2 on the Dreamcast side.

Unlike the GBA, it wasn't a pain playing against a light on the NGPC.

Aww that's a shame. Still a great handheld!

Top Bottom