• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo Pocket Color Appreciation Thread: Way Ahead of the Game (Boy)

Actually the Lynx II has 5 to 6 hours battery life, which is pretty normal for current handhelds as well. Problem was it took six AA batteries, although there were also rechargable battery packs. The battery life of the GameGear is about three hours.

It couldn't do rotation though. It could do an unlimited amount of scalable, compressed sprites at almost unlimited size, all graphics you see on the Lynx display are sprites. Whole scaling levels are made out of sprites. They could also be tapered and sheared.

The Lynx II could also do four channels of 8-bit PCM sound with free stereo panning, as well as upto 15 player multiplayer games.

The microswithed d-pad of the NGP is amazing though, too bad I only have the B/W version.

I didn't know about that. I assumed that the battery life in the Lynx would've been comparable to the Game Gear. I had a Game Gear near the middle of elementary school, and I was lucky enough to get over 2 hours with rechargeable batteries. the AC adapter was pretty much essential. But then again, the Game Gear was just a modified Master System shoveled into a handheld.

I didn't know that the Lynx could not do rotation. It does have a math co-processor, so I assumed it could. It's still impressive hardware that could do things the the stock Genesis and SNES could not. Modders are still doing neat things with the hardware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqdrsSp08JE

I loved the on-system features so much!
Admittedly this was likely due to the fact I only ever had one game with mine (KoF R2) but still..... DAT horoscope!
There was also a calendar and I think something else, can anybody check to see what it was?

Dougald

Here you go:

oD3JiCw.jpg

I remember being impressed with having a menu at the time, something we wouldn't see from Nintendo until the DS.

Thanks a lot for posting that pic, it gave me such a strong sense of nostalgia.
I remember now using the alarm every morning and giving my whole family their horoscope predictions everyday.
It was probably the most I've used any built-in software until the 3DS :lol

(PictoChat you were cool, but you were no HORO-SCOPE!)

NFreak

I love the NGPC. I was lucky enough to get the system plus like 5 great games a few years back for only about 30 dollars from Ebay. The micro-switch d-pad is wonderful.

cuilan

I still have the shiny blue Sonic bundle version of the NGPC that I got back in mid-2000. I played the hell out of it for about 5 years since it was my main handheld at that time, and it still works perfectly (casing is a bit scratched and worn though). I also have the Nyko wormlight+rechargeable battery pack and link cable for it, though I've never had the chance to use the latter. I own a total of 8 games for it and I haven't picked up another one in many years.

How's Ogre Battle Gaiden?

It's pretty good. Plays just like March of the Black Queen and looks very similar. The biggest differences are that the maps are all "flat", the unit sprites are quite small both in and outside of battles (except during attack animations), and the music sounds like it does in every other NGPC game quality-wise. There are some new unit types, the story is a prequel to MotBQ, and also introduces some new characters to go along with the new story. The game is entirely in Japanese, so it would be pretty hard for those who can't read it to fully enjoy the game, but it's playable as long as one is very familiar with how to play MotBQ.

You guys made me get my NGP out, now I'm going to have to play Sonic later

Then this was a success! I have 3 NGPCs coming tomorrow in the mail.

1 Brand New Clean from Amazon $99
1 Clear slim for ebay with Picture Puzzle $59
1 Ice Blue with Sonic and Gal Fighters $55

Also should have my 9 pack of games arriving! All ready for my trip to Japan next week!

Dougald

I really want Metal Slug 2nd Mission for NGPC, pity it costs more than most of the games for the MVS, and I just picked up an MVS board

I have to say I haven't played any games other than SvC, SvC Cardfighters Clash, Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters and Sonic. Any other titles I must play?

But then again, the Game Gear was just a modified Master System shoveled into a handheld.

also IIRC the display signal is analog and therefor it can display a high resolution image on the lower resolution display (Prince of Persia for example). And that's also why they could easily add a TV tuner.

I didn't know that the Lynx could not do rotation. It does have a math co-processor, so I assumed it could.

It can do filled vectors though, which is also impressive (Hard Drivin' and Steel Talons for instance) and the math coprocessor is the graphics chip being used to do calculations (also way ahead of its time).

It's still impressive hardware that could do things the the stock Genesis and SNES could not. Modders are still doing neat things with the hardware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqdrsSp08JE

That is really cool, I wonder if they are using a scaled sprite for each vertical line, because AFAIK the Lynx can only taper and skew horizontally.

Let's see what the HORO-SCOPE has to say for me today.

MONEY ★★★☆☆
HEALTH ★★★★☆
ROMANCE ★★★★☆
GENERAL ★★★★☆

Not bad.

Dougald

MONEY ★☆☆☆☆
HEALTH ★★★☆☆
ROMANCE ★★★☆☆
GENERAL ★★☆☆☆

Hmm... Money is right anyway

I've wanted one for years. I missed out on those system + 10 game packs for $100 because "PSP, PSP, PSP". I remember Lik-Sang (RIP) clearing out the B/W models for $10 US. Fuck this, I'm rectifying the situation today. I will own an SNK system.

I've wanted one for years. I missed out on those system + 10 game packs for $100 because "PSP, PSP, PSP". I remember Lik-Sang (RIP) clearing out the B/W models for $10 US. Fuck this, I'm rectifying the situation today. I will own an SNK system.

Do it. For $80 you can get a clean system and 9 games. Or just get a new one from amazon for $99.

Glad to see a thread dedicated to this lovely little portable. I've owned 3 of them on 3 separate occasions. The first one was during its active lifetime, I had a ton of games for it and I sold it all. The second time was when they did the rerelease at EB. I picked up the system and both of the system packs. I lent the system to this girl who I didn't know very well and I never saw it again. I had the
games still, but I eventually sold them.

Now, fortunately, I own one that I bought off of a friend. It's a silver colored one, and I have:

Dark Arms
Match of the Millennium
Last Blade
Card Fighters Clash
Gals Fighter
Cool Cool Toon

I still need to get Faselei!, Ogre Battle, and Neo Turf Masters.

Slermy

So I finally bit the bullet. Ordered an amazingly prestine looking Carbon/Black "Slim" off of eBay and a copy of Gals Fighter (Game Only).

What kinds of batteries do I need for this?

Mitsurux

I don't think it's true.

I'm pretty sure it isn't true.. and distictly remeber importing a European version due to this fact (US very was quite expensive)

I have the Jap and EU version at home i can test if anyone feels we really need to...

I only had two games, Metal Slug and SNK vs Capcom but that was enough to keep me entertained. What a great little handheld. Shame that it and its connectivity partner Dreamcast both flopped hard so soon

killbox

I totally forgot about the horoscope. I also checked it everyday. man, what a great system. I think Showdown was my favorite game. Really dug trying to collect all the art cards. (you had to win using a super)

I totally forgot about the horoscope. I also checked it everyday. man, what a great system. I think Showdown was my favorite game. Really dug trying to collect all the art cards. (you had to win using a super)

Sam Show II even has a game timer on it to show you how much you played. Way ahead of it's time for a portable fighting game.

Teknoman

I really want Metal Slug 2nd Mission for NGPC, pity it costs more than most of the games for the MVS, and I just picked up an MVS board

I have to say I haven't played any games other than SvC, SvC Cardfighters Clash, Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters and Sonic. Any other titles I must play?

Wha?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Slug-...4345?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item5ae0a7b6d9

You find me a MVS cart for that much!

Maybe you just havent looked in awhile? I've seen em go for 30 or so, but never more than that. Unless you mean complete.

Celine

I only had two games, Metal Slug and SNK vs Capcom but that was enough to keep me entertained. What a great little handheld. Shame that it and its connectivity partner Dreamcast both flopped hard so soon
Could you save in Metal Slug?
I need to play more (but first I should complete the post-game in Dark Arms) and it seems a lengthy scrolling action game.

EDIT:
wikipedia said:
The Neo Geo Pocket Color was SNK's last video game console, and is backwards compatible with the Neo Geo Pocket. In 2000, following SNK's purchase by American pachinko manufacturer Aruze, the Neo Geo Pocket Color was dropped from both the North American and European markets. It did, however, last until 2001 in Japan, with a total of 2 million units sold.
I'm not even sure it hit 1 million WW, wiki using bad sources as often happen.

cuilan

Could you save in Metal Slug?
I need to play more (but first I should complete the post-game in Dark Arms) and it seems a lengthy scrolling action game.

I'm pretty sure all NGPC games have a bit of Flash RAM for saving game progress and settings.

Slermy

I'm pretty sure it isn't true.. and distictly remeber importing a European version due to this fact (US very was quite expensive)

I have the Jap and EU version at home i can test if anyone feels we really need to...

I'd appreciate it. I think the game looks neat, but would prefer to be able to read the story.

Dougald

Damn that's a nice looking haul!

I still want to get one of the clear units. Not enough electronics come in clear plastic these days

Got a new secondary battery today. NGP is back in business! Time to play some games, just gotta find a nicely lit part of the house....a problem I haven't had to deal with in I don't know how long. haha

Got a new secondary battery today. NGP is back in business! Time to play some games, just gotta find a nicely lit part of the house....a problem I haven't had to deal with in I don't know how long. haha

Great! Throw up a picture! What game are you playing first?

First, my personal favorite NGPC games are The Last Blade and the two Metal Slug games. Yeah, I know SNK vs. Capcom is the most popular of the fighting games, and it's fantastic, but The Last Blade is just as good or better! Absolutely outstanding game, it's unfortunate that it wasn't quite released during the system's actual life thanks to SNK's quick death... but at least it was made available in the blister-pack releases, so the US version is out there and I have it. It's one of the best handheld fighting games around! As for the Metal Slug games, the NGPC Metal Slug games are really action-platformers, not straight run & gun games like the main Neo-Geo games are, but the different style works great on a handheld, and the results are fantastic. Plus, given the severe paucity of platformers on the NGPC, it's great that the Metal Slug games are that! Those two and Sonic are the only platformers on the system, but at least all three are quite good.

Yeah, the NGPC is a pretty good system. The graphics are mostly good, it's clearly more powerful than the Game Boy Color, it has some great games, and that mini digital stick is really fantastic and is the best handheld "d-pad" ever. The system really only has one drawback, design-wise, but it is a somewhat annoying one: the 3-colors-per-sprite limit is an unfortunate design flaw. Sure, the GBC has a similar limit, but NGPC backgrounds can have a lot of colors on them, many more than the GBC can in in-game images, which really makes the sprites stand out in their limited color variety. Even if the NGPC hadn't died when it did in the US (last game, Metal Slug: 2nd Mission, released in the US in May or June '00, right after SNK's bankruptcy and purchase by Aruze), I can't see it getting more than another year and a half. The GBA's much greater power would have defeated it, like it did to the WonderSwan Color/SwanCrystal in Japan.

The NGPC was off to a good start in the US though, and could have had another solid year before the GBA's release would have doomed it, followed by a fadeout unless SNK released yet another handheld. As it is though, the system has a tragically short lifespan, only 9 months from first to last game release here. In Japan it lasted longer of course, but Aruze immediately killed off almost all internal game development there too right after the purchase, so the games in the rest of '00 were mostly outside developments. But yeah, I think everyone who knows SNK history knows how disastrously badly the Aruze purchase thing went...

Even as it is, the NGPC is a pretty nice system with some very good games. Some good ones are import-only, and Europe got a few more games than the US did, but they're out there... a lot of the library is quality stuff. It's just sad that that library is so small, and the system lasted for such a short amount of time.

On another note, the story of the original B&W system is a kind of odd one. SNK released the B&W Neo-Geo Pocket in October '98 in Japan, along with a few games. But after the GBC's release around that same time, SNK quickly realized that they needed a color model, so in March '99 they had the NGPC. I have to think that the 3-color limit is a holdover from some bad design choice made in the B&W system, or something, because given how many colors you can put it backgrounds, I can't quite see why someone would design a system like that if it'd been designed for color all along... but anyway, after just 5 months, they had the new color system out. It's basically the same thing as the B&W system, but with color. As with the GBC, some games are B&W compatible, mostly earlier titles (releases from '99), while others, mostly '00 and '01 releases, are color-only. This difference isn't usually marked on US packaging though, sine the B&W system was never officially released here. The B&W NGP was released in Europe though, I believe, so there you will see some games saying "color only" or "black and white compatible" on the box (even though, oddly, "Europe", or "World", or whatever, the not-US-or-Japan region, NGP/C packaging is still English-only).

In the US, apparently, you could get it via mail/internet order I believe, but there are no official releases here, those people got the "World" versions of games that were released in Europe. You can tell the difference since only official US releases have ESRB ratings on them. None of the relative few B&W-only NGP games have ESRB ratings, all are Japan-only or Japan/'Europe' only. You will find some 'Europe' NGPC carts in the US, since many were included in the ~2004 blister-pack re-release of the system, but those weren't originally meant for US release, I'm pretty sure -- to me at least, the lack of ESRB ratings makes that clear. They released them in those packs anyway because they had them on hand after the system's death, and just put the ratings on the packaging.

Anyway, I'm saying all that because some people have said that the NGP and some of the games with 'Europe' but not US releases maybe should be considered as US-released because you could mail order/online order them and get them delivered to you here, but because there is a clearly separate US region with ESRB-rated carts, and those games are not that, I don't think they count. I'd consider that importing, myself -- you're getting stuff meant for a different region really.

But anyway, yeah, I like the NGPC. I just wish it'd lived longer and allowed for more colorful sprites.

US Packaging at Launch (Bundled with Sonic Pocket Adventure)

No, this was definitely not the US packaging at launch. Sonic Pocket Adventure released in December 1999, while the NGPC released in the US back in August of '99, or maybe earlier, if the etoys.com-exclusive period started before then and that's actually the retail date? I'm not sure offhand which of those is right. Yes, NGPC release data is a bit fuzzy! But either way on that, it's quite impossible for that to be the launch box, since that game wasn't out until months later. I don't think the system initially had a packin.

I didn't know about that. I assumed that the battery life in the Lynx would've been comparable to the Game Gear. I had a Game Gear near the middle of elementary school, and I was lucky enough to get over 2 hours with rechargeable batteries. the AC adapter was pretty much essential. But then again, the Game Gear was just a modified Master System shoveled into a handheld.
No, Lynx and Game Gear battery life really isn't that different -- both improved over time. I have a Majesco Game Gear from their 2000 relaunch of the system, and its manual claims 7 hour battery life. That number seems to hold up in real-world testing, for later-model Game Gears. Early GGs do seem to have had worse battery life, I guess, but some of that also could have been battery quality? I mean, haven't batteries improved too? I don't know if I've ever seen a test comparing an early and a late Game Gear, with the same type of batteries used on both systems. But later GGs, with modern batteries, can indeed get up to 7 hours of battery life, which is about the same as the Virtual Boy gets on the same number of batteries (6xAA).

As for the Lynx, the first model gets horrendous battery life, but model 2 did improve things, yeah. I've heard several ranges for each model, but model 2 is an improvement over model 1 and might get 4-6 hours, yeah.

Honestly though, with either system an AC adapter really is essential. Virtual Boy, too. 7 hours is not enough! Even if you have rechargeables, having to have multiple sets of 6 rechargeables would be expensive and kind of annoying... I just use my GG on an AC adapter, and the same with the VB ever since I finally got an AC adapter tap for it. I don't have a Lynx yet, but if I get one, I'll definitely need an AC adapter for that too.

And yes, this is one reason why systems like the original ('brick') Game Boy, which got up to 35 hours on 4 AAs, or the WonderSwan/WS Color, or Neo-Geo Pocket/NGP Color, are so great -- they realized that for a handheld, good battery life is really important. Those systems aren't as impressive in some ways as the Lynx or Game Gear are -- not much more hardware power despite releasing many years later, no backlit screens as both of those systems have, no hardware scaling and probably rotation as the Lynx has, and such -- but they are much more portable, and for a portable system that is very important.

I didn't know that the Lynx could not do rotation. It does have a math co-processor, so I assumed it could. It's still impressive hardware that could do things the the stock Genesis and SNES could not. Modders are still doing neat things with the hardware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqdrsSp08JE
I've heard mixed stories on whether the Lynx could do rotation... I thought it could, just not very well. It's better at scaling, yes, but I think it can do SOME rotation...

Top Bottom