• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo Pocket Color Appreciation Thread: Way Ahead of the Game (Boy)

Celine

But anyway, yeah, I like the NGPC. I just wish it'd lived longer and allowed for more colorful sprites.
Me too, it's really unfortunate the sprite could only display 3 colors (usually black, white and a third color).
Some backgrounds on SvC looks really pretty and the clash with the sprite (lack of) colors is staggering despite how well animated they are.

Celine

And yes, this is one reason why systems like the original ('brick') Game Boy, which got up to 35 hours on 4 AAs, or the WonderSwan/WS Color, or Neo-Geo Pocket/NGP Color, are so great -- they realized that for a handheld, good battery life is really important. Those systems aren't as impressive in some ways as the Lynx or Game Gear are -- not much more hardware power despite releasing many years later, no backlit screens as both of those systems have, no hardware scaling and probably rotation as the Lynx has, and such -- but they are much more portable, and for a portable system that is very important.
The jump from 16-32 colors on screen (yeah, there are trick to enhance the number but at a cost) to 241 is big.

139862-shadow-of-the-beast-lynx-screenshot-use-it-to-block-the-path.jpg
->
WONDERSWAN--From%20TV%20Animation%20One%20Piece%20%20Grand%20Battle%20Swan%20Colosseum_Sep13%2016_39_20.png

But it's true that NGP and WS both followed the model that brought success to GB 8 years before (too bad they never had the third-party support GB enjoyed).

Teknoman

Got a new secondary battery today. NGP is back in business! Time to play some games, just gotta find a nicely lit part of the house....a problem I haven't had to deal with in I don't know how long. haha

Under lamp position go! lol I remember having to search for light when going on extended Pokemon plays with the GBC. If Boktai was released back then, would have made the experience that much more realistic :p

Anyway based on reccs, Dark Arms is on the way. Been looking for Last Blade myself.

I wish there was a NGPC Mutation Nation. That soundtrack is just awesome.

Under lamp position go! lol I remember having to search for light when going on extended Pokemon plays with the GBC. If Boktai was released back then, would have made the experience that much more realistic :p

Anyway based on reccs, Dark Arms is on the way. Been looking for Last Blade myself.

I wish there was a NGPC Mutation Nation. That soundtrack is just awesome.

Dark Arms is pretty cool, takes some time to get the mechanics down. Make sure you save in the main house (go up to the skull on the lower left side of the screen.

RAIDEN1

The Neo Geo Pocket Colour was the Dreamcast of the hand-held industry....may have been "way ahead of the competition" but its premature demise said otherwise!...

I've heard mixed stories on whether the Lynx could do rotation... I thought it could, just not very well. It's better at scaling, yes, but I think it can do SOME rotation...

I've done some programming on the Lynx, the hardware can mirror sprites horizontally and vertically, but there isn't even a way to rotate sprites by 90 degrees.

It can skew a sprite horizontally and I've seen mention of simulating rotation by skewing both horizontally and vertically, but I don't see any way of skewing vertically in the hardware documentation.

Me too, it's really unfortunate the sprite could only display 3 colors (usually black, white and a third color).
Some backgrounds on SvC looks really pretty and the clash with the sprite (lack of) colors is staggering despite how well animated they are.
Yeah, it really is a problem, and makes the graphics look worse than they should. The system can do great backgrounds and nice animation, but the 3-color limit makes the graphics look a bit too dated... there really is a gap there between it and the WSC or GBA. I know it released well before either of those systems (3/99 vs. 12/00 and 5/01, respectively, in Japan), but still, it is an issue and they should have thought of it.

The jump from 16-32 colors on screen (yeah, there are trick to enhance the number but at a cost) to 241 is big.

139862-shadow-of-the-beast-lynx-screenshot-use-it-to-block-the-path.jpg
->
WONDERSWAN--From%20TV%20Animation%20One%20Piece%20%20Grand%20Battle%20Swan%20Colosseum_Sep13%2016_39_20.png

Those two systems there, the Lynx and WS Color, were released eleven years apart! That is not eleven years of tech improvements, not even close.

But it's true that NGP and WS both followed the model that brought success to GB 8 years before (too bad they never had the third-party support GB enjoyed).
For the WS/C it did alright in Japan for a while, but it wasn't released in the West at all, which obviously hurt it a lot when the GBC and GBA were both huge successes in the US!

As for the NGPC, that was taken down by SNK's bankruptcy. As I said, had they not gone bankrupt it'd have had at least one more good year, with a fade-out after that due to the GBA's release.

I've done some programming on the Lynx, the hardware can mirror sprites horizontally and vertically, but there isn't even a way to rotate sprites by 90 degrees.

It can skew a sprite horizontally and I've seen mention of simulating rotation by skewing both horizontally and vertically, but I don't see any way of skewing vertically in the hardware documentation.
So it can sort of fake rotation, then, and has hardware sprite scaling? That's still huge, no other console (TV or handheld) released in the 1980s has sprite scaling!

cuilan

The color limit for sprites was actually 4, but I think it was usually limited to 3 for performance reasons. Some NGPC games that display sprites with 4 colors are:

Sonic Pocket Adventure (Sonic's sprite and most bosses)
Ogre Battle Gaiden (unit sprites during attack animations)
Cotton (main character sprites)
SNK vs Capcom MotM (Arthur's sprite in the Ghost Trick minigame)

Flavor

Neo Member
The NGPC has to be my favorite system ever. My favorite game is "SNK Vs Capcom: Cardfighters' Clash." The sequel is just as good as the original. If you didn't know about the English translation version, check out...
http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/

I also quite enjoyed Faselei! and Biomotor Unitron among others. The Neo Geo Pocket Color was (and still is) a great system if you enjoy having fun.

I often post any NGPC information I can find on my Twitter feed:
http://twitter.com/FreeplayTech

jrronimo

A college buddy of mine bought his NGPC and a few years later gave it to me, feeling that I'd appreciate it more than he did. And I do, heh. I've put a ton of time into Last Blade and Faselei!. DAT CLICKY STICK. HNNNNG.

Faselei! is one of my all-time favorite games. I picked up a US cart off eBay a few years back for ~$100, if memory serves. I played through it during a full straight week of Summer and really, really enjoyed it.

I've had my eye on one of those clear units for quite some time. I agree with whoever said it earlier: More electronics need to come in transparent housing!

I thought I'd picked up most of the games I wanted, but I hadn't previously heard of Gals Fighter, so looks like I'm blowing some cash on that in the near future... haha.

Loona

OK guys, help me with card fights clash, what are the basics?

Card characters can attack and defend, and putting them in play usually gives you points you can use on ability cards and team attacks.

In your turn you can place a single character card in your side of the table, to a maximum of 3. The card you place can't be used to attack in that same turn, with the exception of Alfred, who's weak.

Chacters cards can have 1 of 3 ability types (or none): passive/circle is always active, entry/triangle acts only when the card is placed, and action/square is an ability that functionaly replaces an attack, in that it freezes the card after use until your next turn.

In your turn you can also use action cards.

Attacking with your cards ends your turn, and cards used to attack cannot defend during the opponent's turn.

300 and 700 are the "magic numbers" when it comes to character card power:

- under 300 a card is best used as an assist when possible, as an assist always bumps the assisted card's power by 300, regardless of its own power.

- at 700 or above, some cards like Gouki's will knock out that card out on entry, so use them with caution

If you're going to use a combined attack, put the weaker card in front so they're knocked out from the clash instead of the stronger ones, which may remain viable for defense later. That may leave an open slot where you can put a stronger card.

Ukyo's passive feature of dying from attacking (a neat reference to his tuberculosis in the games) doesn't apply if you use him in a team attack.

As a rule of thumb, cards for characters who were bosses in their own games tend not to give you point to use on action cards or team attacks - not so much a tip, but a neat detail.

This is all from memory, hope it helps for now.

Celine

Those two systems there, the Lynx and WS Color, were released eleven years apart! That is not eleven years of tech improvements, not even close.
Of course no, WS was meant to be a very cheap, light , small and low power counsuming handheld with some nice graphics, with that point of view WS is quite a well designed system.
Lynx has some peculiar feature for when it was released (like scaling) but it has also lower resolution and colors to display than what came later.

What I meant to say is that stuff like Rhyme Rider Keronican for WSC could easily pass for a good looking GBA game, a stark improvement compared the Lynx although an improvement not so advanced considering the time in between because the two had different philisophy at the base.

Celine

I'm starting my NGPC collection, I bought Neo Turf Masters, and I'm now looking at this: http://www.ebay.es/itm/10-LOT-SNK-N...ideo_Games_Games&hash=item1e8518c7d5#shpCntId

Is that 10 games for USD39 ? Am I reading that right?

Edit: just noticed is the same listing than in the OP, so it's legit ? :-O

Edit 2: there is a 12 games pack: http://www.ebay.es/itm/12-LOT-SNK-N...2104?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e7ca78488 do I pull the trigger?
$40 for

METAL SLUG 2
KING OF FIGHTERS R2
TENNIS
FATAL FURY
DARK ARMS
CARD FIGHTERS CLASH CAPCOM
PUZZLE BOBBLE
DIVE ALERT MATT'S VERSION
PUZZLE LINK 2
PAC-MAN

is a decent price.

Keep in mind that most NGP games are very cheap if you just want the cart (no box).
Personally I would just pick the games I'm more interested in.

Puzzle Link 2, Dark Arms, Card Fighters, Metal Slug 2 and Puzzle Bobble (although it's hard sometime to distinguish the ball color) are some of the best game for the system.

Leonsito

$40 for

METAL SLUG 2
KING OF FIGHTERS R2
TENNIS
FATAL FURY
DARK ARMS
CARD FIGHTERS CLASH CAPCOM
PUZZLE BOBBLE
DIVE ALERT MATT'S VERSION
PUZZLE LINK 2
PAC-MAN

is a decent price.

Keep in mind that most NGP games are very cheap if you just want the cart (no box).
Personally I would just pick the games I'm more interested in.

Puzzle Link 2, Dark Arms, Card Fighters, Metal Slug 2 and Puzzle Bobble (although it's hard sometime to distinguish the ball color) are some of the best game for the system.

I'm from PAL land, where everything is super-expensive, so I was a bit shocked at that price, even with shipping is about 4€ per game, if this packs includes some of the best games seems like a no-brainer, now I just have to buy the console itself :D

Geengrenzuh

Neo Member
There's an other item which contains about the same lot from the same seller with free intl. shipping. Should be arriving here somewhere this week. (Thks OP for the heads up!!)

Grabbed a nice ngpc from eBay too. Now I just gotta find match of the millenium for a good price somewhere. Somehow I skipped this nice little handheld back in the days...

Dougald

Played a bunch of Neo Turf Masters at the weekend. That and it's bigger Arcade brother are the only golf games I ever enjoyed, brilliant title.

Alchemy

Trying to pick up some games on eBay, and I'm having problems getting eBay to let me purchase -.-. Did all the PayPal validation song and dance, synched up emails. No idea what the deal is.

Celine

I'm grinding a bit in Dark Arms before beating the "optional" boss.
Looking a the experience counter goes from 9999 to 0 with multiple levels increase has no price.

Played a bunch of Neo Turf Masters at the weekend. That and it's bigger Arcade brother are the only golf games I ever enjoyed, brilliant title.
NTM is a great portable golf game.

It is said that Namco Wonder Classic for WonderSwan is even better.

One week later:

Order two packages on the same day: the NGPC from Japan and the game collection from Florida. NGPC arrived today, the game collection being shipped out of Florida today. Grrr...

It doesn't help that my horoscope is looking grim:
  • Money: 2 of 5
  • Health: 3 of 5
  • Romance: 2 of 5
  • General: 2 of 5

I haven't played a non-backlight handheld in almost a decade, so my light-shifting -- the act of moving your hands to get the right amount of light without distorting the image (honed during the GB/GBA era) -- was very rusty.

Outside of a threatening SUB BATTERY DEAD. EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE. message, the system greets you with a cheery little set-up mode. I jest -- this system is charming as fuck. It's small, the screen is nice & sharp, the sound is decent, and that 8-way joystick... that is no joke. That is the best handheld directional input I've ever felt. The boot-up message is the right amount of cheery retroness. Not as iconic as the AES/MVS boot-up, but pretty good nonetheless.

Of course, what's the only game I can test out that sweet 8-way joystick? The action-packed Pachisuro Aruze Oogoku Pocket - Delsol 2.

FUCK.

Gertso

Neo Member
I found mine in a closet and decided to give it to a friend because I'm trying to lighten my load before I move. God damn what a mistake I've made.

Alchemy

Anyone have experience with BioMotor Unitron? Kind of looking to pick it up, but it isn't cheap enough for an impulse buy.

John Blade

Anyone have experience with BioMotor Unitron? Kind of looking to pick it up, but it isn't cheap enough for an impulse buy.

It's a fun game to play. Kinda like Pokemon type game except with mecha which you upgrade they part to make it stronger and better. I almost beat the game and might want to beat it now that I have a front light NGPC.

Flavor

Neo Member

Yeah, it's a good game. It's not rare, but it's also not one of the dirt-cheap games that flooded the market.

Cardfighters Clash and Neo Turf Masters can be found pretty dirt cheap if you haven't played those yet (to tide you over until you come across a cheap enough Biomotor).

Oddly, Biomotor 2 can be found rather cheap, but it was never translated to English. There's a translation hacking project currently going on for this, too.

Alchemy

My Pocket Color is out for delivery... shit. Beat all my games here even though the expected delivery date was March 14th.

Question: does the NGPC have some sort of sleep/resume mode? I shut off the system after playing a couple of rounds of pachinko (waiting on game package). When I turn it back on, it is immediately inside the pachinko game.

Celine

I'm dumb but I can't find a way to save in Metal Slug 1.
Should the game save automatically after beating a stage?
or do I need to push a button somewhere?

In the menu I see the "s-continue" option but it always make me start from the first level...

Comet

Sonic Pocket Adventure was badass. I loved that little handheld, but there were not enough games for it (imo). It was a great distraction while I waited for the GBA to come out.

Celine

Sonic Pocket Adventure was badass. I loved that little handheld, but there were not enough games for it (imo). It was a great distraction while I waited for the GBA to come out.
Yeah, in total there were 80-90 releases for the system and the majority of which were published by SNK (and developed by SNK or affiliates).
That meant that the quality/quantity ratio is quite high.

Mzo

Dark Arms is out for delivery, so I should be ready to enjoy some NGPC action after lunch. Woo.

Is that the slimmer J-only model that runs on AAA batteries?

I'd love to buy one but they're kind of expensive everywhere I've seen. Where did you order one?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I got to play one of these for the first time last October. What a charming little handheld! It was really impressed by the animation of the game I played... I can't remember what it was called. It was a fighter with chibi characters, if I remember right.

So it can sort of fake rotation, then, and has hardware sprite scaling? That's still huge, no other console (TV or handheld) released in the 1980s has sprite scaling!

Absolutely, all the graphics you see on the display of the Lynx are hardware scaled, distorted and compressed sprites (even the levels themselves), it has no tiles or other type of graphics. It can do an unlimited amount of those sprites at almost unlimited resolution. Just place them anywhere in the 32K x 32K pixel world, tell the system where in that world the display is and make it draw the view. The whole architecture was way ahead of its time.

Top Bottom